Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2008, 03:35 PM   #931
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: homestretch
Stats: 206.5/155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/26/06
Hi everyone! Just checking in to say hi and say I am still plugging along and drinking my shakes several times a week!
homestretch is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2008, 03:49 PM   #932
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Hi Homestretch, me too.

Today was shake, egg mayo, shake, out for dinner antipasto and chicken cacciatore.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:11 AM   #933
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb79fl
Start Date: Every day
Where did everyone go?!

Hello Everyone!

I've been away for a while, just too much happening and not so much time on the boards.

I stepped away from low carb (somewhat) for the last few months and wanted to see if I could eat "normally" and where my weight would stabilize. I stayed around 155, not too bad. I really needed the break from dieting as I was dealing with too much other stress anyway.

Still dealing with the stress, but, decided it was time to get back on track and try to get rid of some more pounds. As of today, I'm at 147. Down 55 pounds since I started. Need to get 10 more pounds off to be in a "healthy" weight range per BMI charts. That is my next goal. When I meet that goal, I'll decide if I want to loose some more. Would love to be 125 again! That is my "dream goal".

So, how is everyone doing? I know I've seen posts on other areas of the boards, so I know we're all still here. Would love to hear from the "gang" and get this thread "jumping" again!

Have a great day and I'll check back later!

Debbie
Old 03-27-2008, 10:34 AM   #934
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: scrappychik
Stats: Goal 145
WOE: Paleo & exercise!
Start Date: Re-start 09/01/14
Hi Deb! Glad to see you back!! Congrats on your losses I decided to re-induct cuz I havent seen a drop on the scales in the last couple of months. I just got lazy-still eating OP but not counting or being as vigilant as I need to be. Like you, I really just wanted a little break. Im not doing shakes right now-Ill add them back after Im done clean/strict induction. I am not sure about everyone else but I do know Del's mom has been ill

Del~ for your Mom and family
Old 03-27-2008, 12:14 PM   #935
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Atkins-Anna
Hi Everyone.
I am hoping to join you guys doing the shakes. I started doing 2 shakes a day yesterday and lost 3 lbs this morning. I started doing Atkins July of 2006 at 241lbs. I am down to 155 as of this morning. I have been as low as 152 but have always gotten stuck there. I am hoping that doing the shakes twice a day will help me to break through. I have been 152-158 since January 2007. At least I know that I can maintain. I am hoping to be 135 but I am not sure that my body will be able to handle it.
Atkins-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #936
Senior LCF Member

Hi Lisa! Thanks for the warm welcome back! I see I still haven't caught up with you (weight wise). Love the new avatar, BTW! I'm not doing Induction, but have eliminated the things that tend to still make me crave and still find myself struggling to not go back to my old way of eating when feeling stressed. It really sucks to have to take weight back off due to being stupid and making a lot of wrong choices. I am getting better at this though!

Sending out warm thoughts to Del and her family, too!

Anna, welcome aboard! Congrats on the 3 lbs already lost! That's great motivation to keep going. I still love having my shakes and found that when I tried something else for breakfast, I ended up over eating and making poor choices the rest of the day. Maybe it's because I do better with a routine. Just make sure that you eat enough over the course of the day. If I only had two shakes during the day, I was over hungry for dinner and ended up over eating. Have some meat, or eggs, etc. as an early afternoon snack (make sure you're getting enough fat, too) and the weight seems to fall off pretty quick. I am trying to watch my overall calories and not go over about 1500 these days. Some days I eat more, sometimes less. I'm still not as active as I should be, so the calories are something I have to keep an eye on.

Well, have to run, have a great night everyone and will try to pop in tomorrow!
Deb79fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:04 AM   #937
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: delynmonet
WOE: Atkins - 2 shakes per day/lc meal
Start Date: November 16, 2001
Hello, everyone . . .

Deb - Thanks so much for the warm wishes - and stress is my middle name at this point too. Haven't focused on much of anything except mom - who was released from the hospital last week on Tuesday then, this Tuesday, I received a call that she started bleeding internally again - so she's in the hospital as I type.

She's going through major testing as this has to do with the digestive system - the colon to be exact . . . she's 83 and a fighter, though. She's as cheerful as she can be under the situation and then with the Alzheimer's its a double dose of ailments for her. She was walking around last night telling the nurse that she was looking for the oven. She's not in pain as far as we can tell . . . she just bleeds and stops . . . so we're hoping this particular hospital and surgery team will gain more substance and provide a solution.

As far as the shakes - I am still drinking them in the morning and it varies during the afternoon and dinner - sometimes I feel like eating something and sometimes I don't. It's been very hectic and this is the best time to grab one - I keep one in my bag just in case . . .

Take care and I will check in when I can. Keep up the good work and much success with your shake routine.

Weight before re-induction - 12/2/05 - 167 lbs
Re-induction again: 12/26/05 - 165 lbs (42.5% BF)
Atkins Shakes Plan: 7/6/10 - 168 lbs (40% BF)
Goal weight - 140 lbs, size 8
delynmonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:12 AM   #938
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Atkins-Anna
Deb,
Thank you for the advice. I will get in some snacks during the day. I am worried about not getting enough calories this way but, it seems to be working so far. Thank you for welcoming me.
Atkins-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:42 AM   #939
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atkins-Anna View Post
Deb,
Thank you for the advice. I will get in some snacks during the day. I am worried about not getting enough calories this way but, it seems to be working so far. Thank you for welcoming me.
In my busy - ness, I didn't say - Anna - and wishing you much success.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:00 PM   #940
Senior LCF Member

Del,

Just a big hug to you and your family. I hope the doctor's can pinpoint the problem and remedy the situation w/ her bleeding. It's hard to deal w/ aging parents and declining health. Sounds like your Mom is strong willed! That's a very good thing. Hope the hospital is not too far from you and that you can spend as much time as possible giving moral support to her (and I hope you have other family there for YOUR support, as well).

My hubby and I will be traveling (about 2 hours south of our home) tomorrow to see his birth mother in the hospital, as well. Hopefully, she'll be feeling better. Pneumonia, severe anemia, dehydration, and several other issues.

I will say a prayer for us all and hope for the best!

Take care, I'm off to bed.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:36 PM   #941
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbingCarmen
Stats: 294/294/164
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 10, 2014
Hello everyone, I have re-started my Atkins Induction on 4-1 and I plan on taking it all the way this time so I can drop my 100 LBS by 4-1-2009. I love the Atkins Shakes, I also got some Slimfast LowCarb today to try, I think the Strawberry.... I will post here often because I really enjoy reading this thread.
LowCarbingCarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:54 AM   #942
Major LCF Poster!

Hi everyone! Sorry to have deserted the boards for a while but things have been nuts and we went on vacation.

Deb - great to hear that you are at 147! Good for you!

Del - Sorry about your mom, my dad is 84 so I can closely relate to caring for an elderly parent. I hope that she is doing better. I know how many times I look at my dad and want to cry for the big, strong man that he used to be. He is still pretty sharp but he has his days when he cannot remember anything and that is scary. Best wishes.

I am still on program and still drink the shakes several times a week. I am at my original goal weight but would like to lose 5-8 more pounds. Still exercising my rear end off (literally haha!) Good to see we are all still around and working our programs!

"Be careful the environment you choose for it will shape you; be careful the friends you choose for you will become like them." ~ W. Clement Stone

BELIEVE IN THE POWER WITHIN YOURSELF!
Old 04-15-2008, 08:46 AM   #943
Major LCF Poster!

Hi everyone! Is anybody out there?
Old 04-15-2008, 10:02 AM   #944
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: trishdadish
BIG QUESTION
did you guys do the induction deal first?
I have really high colestral and my weight is at 230lbs now I just bought alot of these shakes and I work out at the gym 4 to 5 days a week sometimes twice a day 1hr at a time I kinda forgot the induction stage but from reading this post it seems like you didnt do that and just did the shakes twice a day and then a low carb meal
(thats my plan but is it truly important to do induction first?
oh by the way my name is trish and Im new and already am diggin this site!
trishdadish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:38 AM   #945

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishdadish View Post
BIG QUESTION
did you guys do the induction deal first?
I have really high colestral and my weight is at 230lbs now I just bought alot of these shakes and I work out at the gym 4 to 5 days a week sometimes twice a day 1hr at a time I kinda forgot the induction stage but from reading this post it seems like you didnt do that and just did the shakes twice a day and then a low carb meal
(thats my plan but is it truly important to do induction first?
oh by the way my name is trish and Im new and already am diggin this site!
Trish! I joined this thread in the middle and did not re-induct. I just substituted. But I guess if you are buying Ready To Drink Shakes and drinking 2 of those, then you have only gotten around 4-6 carbs from them alone. That leaves you with around 14 carbs for snacks and meals. Even if you bought those frozen Smart one Low carb meals, they average 15 carbs each so you would be very close to induction levels. If you cooked home-food it might be similar or lower if you choose induction meals.

I think by choosing to use two shakes a day, you are sort of re-inducting by default, so long as your other meals and foods were induction level friendly. But that is just MY interpretation.

I haven't been doing the shakes recently, but I want to get back to having at least one replacement. I have a lot of dry mixes, but I like the RTD's better cause you don't have to refridgerate them till after it's open, and I drink the whole thing.

Good luck on your journey!
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:49 AM   #946
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Metga, I did the atkins a long long time ago and forgot about the induction lol, Thanks for the info it does make sense about basically you could say I was inducting lol becasue at meal times I eat fish and turkey burgars with some sort of veggie...I think you are allowed no more than 30 carbs a day if my memorie serves me correctly, I do have to give kudos to these shakes tho because I feel very full on them way more so than the slim fasts I used to drink.(WOOT!) I am worried about blocked arteries because that and high colestral run in my fam, and Im trying to stay away from eggs, mayo, real butter (i love me I cant belive its not butter light) so thanks again for all your info I will let you know how it goes
Trish
Old 04-15-2008, 01:36 PM   #947

Quote:
Thanks Metga, I did the atkins a long long time ago and forgot about the induction lol, Thanks for the info it does make sense about basically you could say I was inducting lol becasue at meal times I eat fish and turkey burgars with some sort of veggie...I think you are allowed no more than 30 carbs a day if my memorie serves me correctly, I do have to give kudos to these shakes tho because I feel very full on them way more so than the slim fasts I used to drink.(WOOT!) I am worried about blocked arteries because that and high colestral run in my fam, and Im trying to stay away from eggs, mayo, real butter (i love me I cant belive its not butter light) so thanks again for all your info I will let you know how it goes
Trish
No problems, Trish. ,

I apologize in advance cause I'm about to mount my thread jacking high horse for a moment . . . Gyahh! {whinney!} Now about that cholesterol . . .

I'm no expert( I just read too much), but I will ask you to do some good old fashion nutrition centered research about how to treat that. You might ask your doc to check your C-Reactive protein levels also , to see if your are suffering any heart disease or atherosclerosis. It is a better indicator than just a lipid count.

High Cholesterol itself doesn't cause clogged arteries, but damaged arteries will gladly allow themselves to be patched up with cholesterol as a natural bandage. So you should do as much as you can to prevent free radical damage throughout your body.

Avoiding high blood sugar is EXCELLENT, as glucose binds proteins, making them less flexible. Too much of that and you also run the risk of high blood pressure as well, and damage to artery walls

Replacing your unsaturated fats with healthier choices like olive oil and coconut oil may see counter intuitive to heart health but there is a good reason. Saturated Fats protect you from free radical damage much better than unsaturated fats, and coconut oil is safer to cook with than liquid grain and bean oils (canola, soy, peanut, corn), because it resists changing to transfats at high temperatures, unlike unsaturated fats which readily oxidize and become dangerous even at low temperature cooking. If you choose to keep all of you fats unsaturated, just be sure to increase the amount of antioxidants that you take in cause you will need more since you will lack the protection that saturated fats provide.

Protecting your skin from more than Vitamin-D creating amounts of UV, and avoid smoking, excess alchohol, and moderate exercise. Moderate exercise is better than "Ah, I'm gonna die" type exercise because, too much stress of any kind will age you .

Keep your cortisol levels normal by avoiding or mitigating stress in your life, (cortisal triggers high blood sugar levels as well as setting loose a host of inflammatory enzymes), and keep your diet high in antioxidants from food and supplements if you choose.

{whinney!} Whoa . . . Easy Girl. Whew.

Well, that was a ride, hope I didn't blow your mind or anything( you probably know all of that anyway.) I just spend so much time explaining this stuff to my customers that I felt I must share.

check out this thread, Awesome stuff: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...nutrition.html

Perseverance and Happy Tuesday

Last edited by metqa; 04-15-2008 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: additional info
Old 04-15-2008, 10:44 PM   #948
Senior LCF Member

Hi Everyone! Just a quick shout out to say hello (just got off work, 12:30 a.m.)... Two weeks into my new job, second shift and still trying to adjust to new meal times, etc.

Hanging in at 143 and hard to believe that I'm less than 10 pounds from my goal. Might take longer to get there, but at least I'm on plan.

Welcome Trish! I started the shakes from day one (induction level) and still use them. I used them for BF and ate low carb meats and veggies and of course cheese. I ate every few hours and after a few weeks, my appetite decreased. I can not do two shakes a day and one low carb meal, I get too hungry. Make sure you eat enough calories!!! Don't go too low or you'll slow the weight loss down. I ate all the time!! Only now do I probably average between 1200-1500 calories on an average day. Sometimes more. I let my body be my guide. Welcome!

Nice to see you again Metga! Thanks for the info you listed. I always appreciate any health advice that people are willing to share. I'm going to check out the link you mentioned tomorrow a.m., when my brain is working again.

Nice to have some more faces on the thread and hope to see some of my old friends back real soon! Night all!
Old 04-16-2008, 07:00 AM   #949

Congrats on your new job, Deb! Hang in There!

I didn't think about the Calorie aspect of two shakes. But then I have been trying to work coconut oil into my diet, and that can cover up to 800 on it's own. I forget not everyone is using C.O.

I'm about to go mix up some dry [cough] drink mix to have later at work.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:19 PM   #950

Hi everyone, I am back from my vacation in Australia and back on induction to lose a few lbs and get me back to goal. I will definitely be using the shakes, once I get out to buy some.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:47 AM   #951
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah we are still here!

**Cindy** Hope you had a wonderful vacation!

**Deb**You are doing so awesome!

**trish**I inducted with the shakes and just counted the carbs like any other food.

Glad to read about everyone! The weather here is finally warming up and it is so awesome to get outside and workout!

Happy lowcarbing!
Old 04-17-2008, 10:36 AM   #952
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
No problems, Trish. ,

I apologize in advance cause I'm about to mount my thread jacking high horse for a moment . . . Gyahh! {whinney!} Now about that cholesterol . . .

I'm no expert( I just read too much), but I will ask you to do some good old fashion nutrition centered research about how to treat that. You might ask your doc to check your C-Reactive protein levels also , to see if your are suffering any heart disease or atherosclerosis. It is a better indicator than just a lipid count.

High Cholesterol itself doesn't cause clogged arteries, but damaged arteries will gladly allow themselves to be patched up with cholesterol as a natural bandage. So you should do as much as you can to prevent free radical damage throughout your body.

Avoiding high blood sugar is EXCELLENT, as glucose binds proteins, making them less flexible. Too much of that and you also run the risk of high blood pressure as well, and damage to artery walls

Replacing your unsaturated fats with healthier choices like olive oil and coconut oil may see counter intuitive to heart health but there is a good reason. Saturated Fats protect you from free radical damage much better than unsaturated fats, and coconut oil is safer to cook with than liquid grain and bean oils (canola, soy, peanut, corn), because it resists changing to transfats at high temperatures, unlike unsaturated fats which readily oxidize and become dangerous even at low temperature cooking. If you choose to keep all of you fats unsaturated, just be sure to increase the amount of antioxidants that you take in cause you will need more since you will lack the protection that saturated fats provide.

Protecting your skin from more than Vitamin-D creating amounts of UV, and avoid smoking, excess alchohol, and moderate exercise. Moderate exercise is better than "Ah, I'm gonna die" type exercise because, too much stress of any kind will age you .

Keep your cortisol levels normal by avoiding or mitigating stress in your life, (cortisal triggers high blood sugar levels as well as setting loose a host of inflammatory enzymes), and keep your diet high in antioxidants from food and supplements if you choose.

{whinney!} Whoa . . . Easy Girl. Whew.

Well, that was a ride, hope I didn't blow your mind or anything( you probably know all of that anyway.) I just spend so much time explaining this stuff to my customers that I felt I must share.

check out this thread, Awesome stuff: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...nutrition.html

Perseverance and Happy Tuesday
Thanks Metqa
I had no idea..... I am clueless when it comes to nutrition and dieting lol I did kinda blow it yesterday I drank 3 beers and about 4 glasses of wine at a work going away party but I ate correctly but Im sure I took in a ton of carbs ugh I hate when I cant stick to it lol but Im back doing well today.... lol

Homestretch thanks for the info too Im really going to go full boar on Monday... Im going out of town this weekend to another function a 3 day music fest and I theres a fridge in the hotel room so I can bring my goodies as far as alcohol goes is there anything thats low carb...lol I doubt it iM sure its full of em
Thanks again happy thursday all.......
Old 04-17-2008, 10:58 AM   #953
Major LCF Poster!

Hello, it's been a long time since I've had family issues to care for with my mom. Welcome to all the new comers.

I have to say that I have not focused on just two cans a day - as I was not really taking in proper nourishment due to stress and frustration. I was eat and not eat on a daily basis. I would have a can here or there. Today, I am having two cans and a low carb meal this evening. I have lost more weight and haven't weighed myself. I've been too busy.

But, I am now carrying two cans in my bag as I have doctor's appointments with mom and will not get a chance to eat. They fill me up for around 4 hours.

Soon, I'll be more focused but I am so proud of all of you. Your comments to this thread is intriguing. Much success to everyone out there!

Homestretch, Kissa and Deb - I am so very glad to see you posting faithfully on the boards . . . thanks for holding it together!! Best wishes to all - I will be stopping by again soon.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:06 PM   #954
Major LCF Poster!

**Del**So happy to hear from you. You hang in there and take care of yourself. Well wishes to both you and your mom.
Tina
Old 04-17-2008, 04:07 PM   #955

Quote:
Thanks Metqa
I had no idea..... I am clueless when it comes to nutrition and dieting lol I did kinda blow it yesterday I drank 3 beers and about 4 glasses of wine at a work going away party but I ate correctly but Im sure I took in a ton of carbs ugh I hate when I cant stick to it lol but Im back doing well today.... lol

Homestretch thanks for the info too Im really going to go full boar on Monday... Im going out of town this weekend to another function a 3 day music fest and I theres a fridge in the hotel room so I can bring my goodies as far as alcohol goes is there anything thats low carb...lol I doubt it iM sure its full of em
Thanks again happy thursday all.......
Ha, My boyfreind asked me that the other day. I think straight Vodka might be low carb! You could just add it right to the can! EWW It would probably curdle!

I'm sorry. I think I heard that the dryer the drink the less carbs it has? But I also heard that the body will stop all other energy production when alcohol is consumed so that means that it would slow down or stop fat burning to burn the alcohol first. Don't remember where I read it but I think it was a text book or something like it. Or probably online!!

Oh! Look at the time! Gotta go be a role-model Later!
Old 04-17-2008, 05:22 PM   #956
Senior LCF Member

yeah figured as much lol, I will just try and drink water instead this weekend ugh lol j/k but I feel real positive now that I found this site! Im sure your a great role-model enjoy
Trish

Last edited by trishdadish; 04-17-2008 at 05:30 PM..
Old 04-18-2008, 11:34 AM   #957

One egg cream for breakfast.

A chocolate shake for lunch.

DH is taking me out to dinner this evening.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:10 PM   #958
Major LCF Poster!

Had a shake this morning for breakfast. Just getting over a nasty virus so I have not posted in a while. I need to restock because I drank my last one today...ohhhhhnoooo!
Old 04-29-2008, 09:04 PM   #959
Major LCF Poster!

Dear LC Buddies,

Been away from this board for a while but glad to see new faces posting as well as the faithful buddies!! ! Mom is holding on - she's got an upcoming operation next week Tuesday (outpatient) to remove a stone. She had a total of 11 appointments from the start of this month - I AM PLAIN TIRED - and now this surgery. I am holding on, too. Thanks to all of you for your best wishes! Well, I am still lc'ing and as far as the shakes, I just went to BJs over the weekend and purchased two 12-paks. I had two today - and my rings are still managing to fall off my fingers. For a few days, I've been eating either twice a day plus one shake or two shakes and one meal. It has really been varying with me. Leaving the job early for appointments called for maybe a lc breakfast (I have even brought my lc bread to a deli and had an egg with sausage and cheese put on it), then have a shake at the clinic visit with mom. Depending upon how I felt, I'd eat dinner or have a shake or just meat and veggies or meat and salad.

Been working out a few days out of the week on the treadmill - not my normal schedule - as I would sometimes have to report in super early to work if I had to leave during my lunch hour because of mom's appointments. So, some days I have to forfeit my workout until the weekend or near the weekend. Eventually, things will get back to normal.

I feel much better that mom is doing okay as each day rolls by. I am still stressed from all of the running back and forth but I do what I have to do.

Anyway, keep up the good work everyone and I will be checking in as much as I can.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:51 PM   #960
Senior LCF Member

Update from me, too

Just another quick note to my friends on the boards. Sad news for our family My MIL died this past weekend. She had been in ICU for several weeks and her body just couldn't take any more. She was almost 89, so had a long life. Still, she'll be missed by us all. This was my hubbies "birth" mom that we located about 15 years ago (along with his siblings). We had a nice relationship with her and the rest of the family.

Most people complain about their MIL's, I was blessed to have two very different ladies that loved my husband. Both his birth mom and adoptive mom. They never met, but I know they both were proud of him. We buried his adoptive mom just three years ago at 92 1/2! Very nice lady that I was proud to have as my MIL.

So sad to see family losses, but that is the way of life.

Be back soon and in a better frame of mind. Have to get off line, as I don't want my hubby to see me crying.

Del, so glad your mom is improving! Hello and best wishes to everyone else!

Last edited by Deb79fl; 04-29-2008 at 10:53 PM..