Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 03:01 PM   #871
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WHIRLYBIRD
Stats: 265/183/130
WOE: Atkins~Low Carb/JUDDDD
Start Date: 01-01-09
[COLOR="Green"]Thank you everyone for the congratulations. I hope that I can keep it up. It's really hard to have a social life and not be able to eat dinner! DH and I went with friends to a steak house over the weekend and I ate a steak and green beans and drank iced tea, that's it! Ended up weighing 2 pounds heavier the next day! Lordy I tell you! I was not happy at all!! It must have been sodium because I'm back down to 152.7 as of this morning. Isn't it amazing how even a legal Atkins meal can cause us to gain...

To all the sickies out there, Please Feel Better Soon!

A friend of mine that I was with over the weekend called me up today to tell me that I've been exposed to the flu bug. She has been so sick since the day I saw her. She said that just a few hours after we left, she started feeling achy and her throat hurt, etc. She went to the doctor yesterday and she has full blown FLU! GREAT! Looks like I'll be waiting on pins and needles for about a week to see if I caught it too.

Just what I need to derail me from my exercise routine.

I'll check back in on Thursday.

Bye,
Jenni[/COLOR]
WHIRLYBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2008, 04:49 AM   #872
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Oh Jenni I hope you don't get it.

I have been a bit casual over my carbs this past week and I am seeing a difference in my shape! So this morning it was a shake before the gym and I will have a shake in a while then dinner out with friends tonight. Hope I can make some wise choices.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #873
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbingCarmen
Stats: 294/294/164
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 10, 2014
Hello All, I am glad I have re-found this thread, you all are amazing, I started back Low Carbing last week on thursday 1-31-08 and weighed in today a whole 8.3 lbs less (YIPPY!!). I am doing the shakes, but only for breakfast, I figure I will start them for lunch also when my weightloss stalls. Whirlybird steak and green beans are my favorite, and I also have learned how it can affect the scale, so I decided to limit steak to twice a month, also I hope you do not catch that nasty flu-bug. Kissa, I am sure you will make a wise choice you all look great in your pics.

Have A Great LowCarbing Day!

"Life works better, when you work on you first!"
LowCarbingCarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:50 PM   #874
Senior LCF Member

Kissa,
I have a question for you... How much does one stone equal in pounds?
Just curious because I was watching a show on BBC the other day and the woman weighed 22 stones. Have no idea what that would be.
Thanks,
Jenni
Old 02-06-2008, 10:51 PM   #875
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ilove2read
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 8/9/10
Hi everyone! I was reading some of your posts and think the low carb shake routine is a great idea! I used to have 1 for breakfast and 1 for lunch and then a normal dinner - but never thought to do this in reverse, like Jenni.

Jenni - I'm not from UK, but I do watch a show on BBC channel called "You are What You Eat" and I just love it. 1 stone = 14 lbs. So, that woman that weighed 22 stone was actually 308 lbs. I also have the Reverse Diet book and have seen that woman on a show called "XXXtreme Weight Loss" on the discovery channel. Her diet was very interesting and I do think she has a good point of having our biggest meal early in the day to be able to burn it off. I know myself that I don't think I could do my biggest meal at breakfast - I do mine at dinner. But, I do someday want to work very hard to eat my biggest meal at lunchtime. That's so clever of you to cook for your husband every night and save yours until the next morning. I never thought of that! You're doing a great job and I hope your success continues!!!

Homestretch - I hope you feel better very soon!
Ilove2read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:48 AM   #876
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Flower

[COLOR="Purple"]Flower!
Glad you decided to join us shake girls here.
I had a hard time adjusting to eating a large breakfast first thing in the morning but after a couple of weeks, it just seems normal now.
I do find it hard sometimes to make dinner at night and not want to sample it... I have to keep in mind that it would be sabotaging my loss for the next morning on the scales.
Thanks for the weight conversion. That's the same show I saw, You Are What You Eat. I Loved it! I think I will set my DVR to record it every week. Shows like that really help motivate me in a BIG way!

Flower, I noticed on your list of goals, you put that you have a daily reward meal. WOW, if you've lost this much weight eating a reward meal everyday, you are AWESOME! How do you do it? I need to know your secret!!

Update on my weight: I'm still sticking to 152.2 as of this morning. All I can say is TOM this week... Hey, I didn't gain so that's a plus.

I have a little tid bit of info for all those that use the treadmill for your main exercise regime. I discovered on Tuesday that if I raise the incline up 1/2 a level, I burn nearly twice as many calories. I couldn't believe it! Instead of burning 532 calories in an hour, I burned 921! Get Out! So, I had to do it again last night just to make sure something wasn't wrong with my TM and sure enough, same thing!!! WooooHooo! My original incline was 2.5 so I bumped it up to 3.0 and BAM, I'm a calorie burning machine! In a couple of weeks, I'm going to test it at an incline of 3.5 and see what happens. Right now, it's all I can do at the 3.0 level.

Hope everyone is feeling back to their spry selves and back on plan.

It won't be long before summer will be here! I've got 22 more pounds to drop before I'll put on a pair of shorts That sick bug better take up homestead somewhere else, cause we don't have time to be down! (grrrr)

Chow for Now,
Jenni [/COLOR]

Last edited by WHIRLYBIRD; 02-07-2008 at 08:06 AM..
Old 02-07-2008, 08:02 AM   #877
Senior LCF Member

[COLOR="Indigo"]Carmen!!
Thanks for the advice about the steak and green beans. I think also, it was probably loaded with sodium. Our steak houses around here just love to salt the heck out of the meat. It was good though... :blush:

I usually try to stay home as much as possible now that I'm down to my last 22 pounds to lose. I find that if I eat out, I'm usually up a pound or two the next day. Just isn't worth it.

I made Linda Sue's Hamburger, Broccoli Alfredo Casserole last night to have for breakfast this morning. Oh, this made a tasty breakfast for sure!!
Here's the link:
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

I'm off to get some office work done and then probably clean my house.
Have a good day everyone!!!

Jenni[/COLOR]
Old 02-07-2008, 08:34 AM   #878
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: scrappychik
Stats: Goal 145
WOE: LC my way & exercise!
Start Date: Re-start 1/4/14
Jenni~ I have been experimenting with the incline as well. I do a fat burn program with 5 min intervals at 5 incline and back down for 3 min. I usually walk at 3.5 mph steadily. It definitely makes a difference walking uphill!!! KUTGW
scrappychik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:16 AM   #879
Senior LCF Member

Jenni - Hi! Yes, I do Carbohydrate Addicts Diet. I'm not sure if you're familiar or not with it, but on the diet you can have 1-2 Complimentary meals - which are low carb meals and then 1 Reward Meal. This reward meal starts with a salad, then the rest of your meal should be a balanced meal of protein, veggie and carb. I have a few friends that eat 1 meal a day and that's the Reward Meal - a nice balanced meal. The other rule is that you have to eat your Reward Meal within 1 hour. It's all to do with insulin and that if we eat within the 1 hour, there's only 1 insulin release. If we keep eating past that, then there's another heavy insulin release and of course insulin can cause fat. It took me a long time to get to 1 meal a day. I first started back in October doing Atkins - then in November came across the intermittent fasting thread - where you eat in a 5 hour window everyday (or however long you want your window to be). So, I would make my window from about 5-10p.m and have a snack, dinner and a dessert before my window closed. I was seeing very good results. I knew someday I wanted to get to 1 meal a day - try to make it as healthy as possible, enough calories and very satisfying too. I took small steps to get there, but I do really enjoy it.

The problem is, I like to eat my Reward Hour Dinner with my husband the nights he's home. He works 2 jobs and isn't always home! So, sometimes after taking care of the 2 kids and cooking - we eat later than I would like - usually around 7 or 8 pm. I know a lot of people that either ate 1 meal a day and lost a lot of weight - or that they ate most of their calories early on in the day and lost a lot of weight that way too! My Mom used to eat a nice big lunch and nothing else the rest of the day and she did great!

I never thought that I could just save my portion that I make for dh and kids until the next day and have it for lunch. I would love to make my Reward Meal for a late lunch everyday - maybe around 2 or 3 pm. I do usually have a low carb shake to end my meal with - but I could easily not have it and maybe have that shake later in the evening. I wouldn't be sticking to my 1 meal a day - but I would still be sticking to my I.F. window. I have lost weight by doing and eating things I enjoy since October, so it's been pretty easy! However, the weight loss now isn't as fast as I would like it and I just know if I ate my meal earlier in the day -that would really help! I just don't know if I have the willpower to eat the meal early and avoid food all night long then. It's easier for me to avoid food all day long knowing I have my Reward Meal to look forward to later. But, having that tasty low carb shake in the evening - might just do the trick for me.

Yes, I have my DVR set up to tape all those shows too! I think there's like 2 on each day. I love that show and how Jillian really wants everyone to eat lots of fruits and veggies!
Old 02-07-2008, 05:47 PM   #880
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
This thread is fascinating! While I am not near maintence I hope its ok to join. I often replace a meal with a shake or a cheesestick and have been thinking I want to do this more especially for lent. It would help to read your stuff.
soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:52 PM   #881
Senior LCF Member

Hi Soon! Yes, I was just thinking of that earlier - in that I'm far from maintenance but just love the shake routine idea and I do have a shake with dinner every night. I'm really thinking of making my big meal at lunch time and just having a shake for my dinner. I think this would work out ok, and I know it would really help with more weight loss because I'd be eating my biggest meal early in the day - however I do look forward to having nice dinners with my husband the few nights he is home. Hmmm, I'll have to think about how I want to do this...........

So ladies - I know most of you are at maintenance or are close - is it ok if I join in too even though I'm far from maintenance??? But, but....... I really hope to be at maintenance by the end of 2008!
Old 02-07-2008, 06:07 PM   #882
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flower75 View Post
Hi Soon! Yes, I was just thinking of that earlier - in that I'm far from maintenance but just love the shake routine idea and I do have a shake with dinner every night. I'm really thinking of making my big meal at lunch time and just having a shake for my dinner. I think this would work out ok, and I know it would really help with more weight loss because I'd be eating my biggest meal early in the day - however I do look forward to having nice dinners with my husband the few nights he is home. Hmmm, I'll have to think about how I want to do this...........

So ladies - I know most of you are at maintenance or are close - is it ok if I join in too even though I'm far from maintenance??? But, but....... I really hope to be at maintenance by the end of 2008!
Flower & Soon!! And yes you can shake if I can IF I think it's a fascinating idea and Im not that far from it now, cuz I dont eat really early in the AM and I dont eat after 6PM. So if I just stretch it a bit more Ill be there. I will give it a try!
Old 02-08-2008, 03:02 AM   #883
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: delynmonet
WOE: Atkins - 2 shakes per day/lc meal
Start Date: November 16, 2001
Flower and Soon!!

So glad to see more LCF's here!!! I am so sorry that I haven't posted as I am under the weather with the flu and I feel absolutely miserable. But, I decided to stop by and check out the board.

Anyone can join in if you feel that it's okay for you. I enjoyed the shakes and still do as it keeps my weight down and in check along with regular exercise. They are so convenient and the ideas that I am reading are terrific. You can substitute them at any time or day. It just works in keeping the calories and carbs low during the day - I have two per day and one low carb meal - that works for me.

Once I am better, I will start drinking them. Right now, I am having broth, tea and water. I have no taste for anything else but can't wait to get back to my Chocolate Royale Shake.

I look forward to reading your posts and wish you all much success with your weight loss journey!

Weight before re-induction - 12/2/05 - 167 lbs
Re-induction again: 12/26/05 - 165 lbs (42.5% BF)
Atkins Shakes Plan: 7/6/10 - 168 lbs (40% BF)
Goal weight - 140 lbs, size 8

Last edited by delynmonet; 02-08-2008 at 03:08 AM..
delynmonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:42 AM   #884
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Glamour Puss
Stats: 247/168/148 5'6"
Start Date: 12/15/2005
Man there's a lot of sickness going around! My two girls have been sick this week so there's been hardly any sleep happening here. It's a shame as it's a lovely day today but when my older one goes outside and walking around it triggers her nasty cough. So we're stuck inside and watching Shrek 3 for the bazillionth time.

I'm at 149 lbs today. Had a couple of days bouncing up to 150 and 151. I'm very proud of myself for sticking to my new plan with sick kids stressing me out. There were a couple of days I had to talk myself out of sticking my head into the Skippy jar. I just knew if I indulged I would be right back up to 154-155 lbs the next day!

Hope you're all getting well or staying well!
Glamour Puss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:48 AM   #885

Well done Tina! It is so hard with little ones sick in the house.

Del, you get well soon.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:05 AM   #886
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: WomanOfGod
Stats: Size 18/1X to size 12/10
WOE: HCG My Way Baby ~ Drops/Pellets
Start Date: Starting over July 8 2012!
Hello to all you wonderful women! After reading this whole thread over 2 days, what an inspiration you are! Is there room for one more? I applaud all of you "Del" thank you for having the courage to post way back when this thread started. Most on LCF oppose the shakes and the meal replacement bars. I say what works for one may work for some and may not work for others....but why discourage others just because it didnt work for you?

I have been working hard on LC since the beginning of the year. However the weight won't budge (same 3 pounds up and down). I was taking the CLA/GLA combo also and the inches weren't moving either (i believe i was taking too much). I was about to get discouraged and binge when i found your thread. I went back through my journal and realized that my body needs less calories to lose (i saw the days when i was too busy to eat lunch i lost weight).

I am now stopping the CLA/GLA combo and started the "shake shake shake" routine on Saturday!!!!!!! I plan to do 1-2 shakes a day plus a lc meal. I will be putting a teaspoon of coconut oil in my shakes to keep me full until the next shake or meal. Will continue a workout a day (cardio and strength training). I will only be weighing in on Sundays.

(Have any of you used shakes and meal replacement bars?) Just curious if they work also ~

I look forward to becoming part of this supportive/loving "shake family" if you all will have me! :blush:

Marcia (pronounced Marsha)

251 ===> 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223.2 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199

WomanOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 02:28 PM   #887

Hi Marcia! How lovely that you find Del's thread so inspiring. So do I! I do think that support is what these boards should be about and it is certainly what this thread is about.

Like you say, not everything works for everyone, but if it works, just do it.

Today I had a breakfast Shake, a far too milky coffee, my skiing lesson a couple of glasses of good red wine, then a home made Thai prawn curry. Very nice even though I do say so myself!

I do use meal replacement bars now and then, but the shakes seem to work better for me. I sometimes fancy more to eat after a bar, you know? The shakes just taste great then I move on....

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:13 AM   #888
Senior LCF Member

[COLOR="Indigo"]Good Morning Everyone! Marcia!!
Just logging in to give a quick update. So far, I'm maintaining the same weight now for about a week. Seems I'm either losing inches lately or maybe playing catchup to the previous weeks.
I hope to report a better number this week...
I have to add, I have been really upping the workouts and the intensity of them so I might be adding muscle which we all know weighs more than fat. I truly hope this is the case with me.
I will be in it for the long haul though and will give it all of the month of February to see if the shakes are the way to go.
I bought 3 more cases of the Chocolate Royal yesterday at Sam's Club so that should tie me over for awhile.
Good Luck Everyone This Week! And may we all get a visit from the Woosh Fairy!!

Jenni[/COLOR]
Old 02-12-2008, 02:29 AM   #889
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Marcia!

Interesting idea about adding coconut oil to the shakes. I just might try that as I've tried cooking with coconut oil, putting it in my coffee and in various other concoctions, even coconut bark and am not liking it which is weird because I love coconut. It just tastes like hand cream to me. May give it a go in the chocolate shake and see if it tastes any better.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:12 AM   #890
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Scorpio2
Stats: 170/167/150
WOE: Healthy Low Carbs
Start Date: restart 9/2009
Good morning!

I have a question for you all. Do you have to use Atkins Advantage Shakes? My stomach can't handle them. They are really tasty though. Can you use the regular whey protein powder and mix with water? Can I mix anything else in the shake?
Scorpio2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:31 AM   #891
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: homestretch
Stats: 206.5/155
Start Date: 5/26/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by delynmonet View Post
Flower and Soon!!

So glad to see more LCF's here!!! I am so sorry that I haven't posted as I am under the weather with the flu and I feel absolutely miserable. But, I decided to stop by and check out the board.

Anyone can join in if you feel that it's okay for you. I enjoyed the shakes and still do as it keeps my weight down and in check along with regular exercise. They are so convenient and the ideas that I am reading are terrific. You can substitute them at any time or day. It just works in keeping the calories and carbs low during the day - I have two per day and one low carb meal - that works for me.

Once I am better, I will start drinking them. Right now, I am having broth, tea and water. I have no taste for anything else but can't wait to get back to my Chocolate Royale Shake.

I look forward to reading your posts and wish you all much success with your weight loss journey!
I am sorry and hope that you are better soon! The flu is awful this year.
homestretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:50 AM   #892
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JUNEBUG2
Stats: 338/297/180--tight28w/24/16 5'8"
WOE: atkins
Start Date: april 24, 2006-new beginning 03/01
Good morning everyone!! I have been reading your posts for several days and began the shakes Monday. I am eating low carb for breakfast and lunch , then a shake for dinner. I did hve a couple small pieces of roast beef with the shake because I was very hungry. I actually ate very little for breakfast and lunch. I am going to have a meat snack late in afternoon today to see if that helps the hunger. I go to water aerobics in the evenings and won't have my dinner till after I return home.

I have really enjoyed reading about your sucesses. Eventually I expect to have 2 shakes a day. Right now I am trying to adjust to the one(yuckie yuckie taste)

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.
08/05 315
08/20 308
09/03 322
09/10 314
09/17 317
10/09 314
JUNEBUG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:08 AM   #893
Major LCF Poster!

I have been replacing meals with shakes for about 5 days now and a couple of days I had two no weight loss is showing on the scale . My adult daughter made some hurtful comments to me and she told me that her mother in law was going to stay with them when the baby came that I got on her nerves etc. That was saturday and I didnt react by over eating until last nite I ate a whole bag of sf chocolates and a box of blackberries...ugh . O h well.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:46 PM   #894
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: WomanOfGod
Stats: Size 18/1X to size 12/10
WOE: HCG My Way Baby ~ Drops/Pellets
Start Date: Starting over July 8 2012!
Thank you all for the warm welcome! I am doing really well. I have also found that if you heat the chocolate with the vanilla (powders) and add 1 tsp of instant coffee....you have quite a wonderful hot drink!!!!! I also add 1 tsp coconut oil and it has kept me full. I also eat 2 boiled eggs dipped in mayo/mustard if i get hungry in between the two shakes! Hope everyone is doing well! This thread seems to have slowed down considerably.

soon No words are needed
WomanOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:12 PM   #895

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 10/size 6-8/size 6
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
Hi all!

I am having one-two shakes a day and a handful of unsalted nuts or cottage cheese and just whatever I want for dinner. I'm maintaining, and I love this routine

Just wanted to stop by and say hello!

Rachel
LowCarbRachel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:12 AM   #896
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio2 View Post
Good morning!

I have a question for you all. Do you have to use Atkins Advantage Shakes? My stomach can't handle them. They are really tasty though. Can you use the regular whey protein powder and mix with water? Can I mix anything else in the shake?
I don't think anyone answered yet, but no, you do not have to use Atkins Advantage shakes. I don't. I live in England and would have to buy them online and they're much more expensive (I just figured it out - it would be about $13-14 for four cans!!!). I buy a ready-made shake that is a major chain store's own brand (Tesco's) of low carb products and it's 19 g protein and just under 2 g carbs per serving. You can make your own shakes too if you prefer and I don't know why you couldn't mix whey protein powder with water. I use the shakes mostly for breakfast as I'm not a big breakfast person. I also use them for snacks. They help me with my sweet cravings I've been having lately.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:01 PM   #897
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Samantha42
Stats: 205/144.6/150 5'5" 30y/o
WOE: Mod Carb/Paleo/IF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio2 View Post
Good morning!

Make sure to add fats to it since protein alone might not keep you full. The Atkins shakes are full of fat from cream, and I think that greatly increases their ability to keep you satisfied!
Samantha42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:44 AM   #898
Blabbermouth!!!

Happy Valentine's Day, ladies It is so good to see so many new faces here.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:47 AM   #899

Wow, a few days away and look what happens. Del will fall over when she sees this.

Well done!
Old 02-14-2008, 03:50 PM   #900
Major LCF Poster!

I had a cheese stick this morning and went to my bible study where I had one chip with salsa and two shrimp .... a shake for lunch had two porkchops and a salad for dinner but for me the killer is after 5 eating.