Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #571
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Lisa, we really think the shakes help. I guess you have read Homestretch and Dels history.

I was already on maintainance when I started to use them but I find them such a great form of support. They really stave off my hunger, and they taste good!
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2007, 02:40 PM   #572
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: scrappychik
Stats: Goal 145
WOE: Paleo & exercise!
Start Date: Re-start 09/01/14
I think they taste great too! I was surprised. I only tried Chocolate Delight so far(all my Walmart had) but would LOVE to get my hands on the Caramel Latte. Someone mentioned putting them in the freezer for a few minutes and its like a frappucino-YUM. I think the shake routine will help me because I need some structure and I want to keep it simple. TOM is here now so not weighing till thats over. I can relate to the bloating Also Im doing the CLA/GLA combo and walking everyday on the treadmill. I only hope I have as much success as others posting here
Old 10-25-2007, 07:39 AM   #573
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: homestretch
Stats: 206.5/155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/26/06
50 pounds GONE!

First of all Lisa!

156.5! I am down a half pound this morning! I did not even realize until I changed my stats that I had reached the 50 pound mark. Can I just say that I am amazed that I did this? I don't mean to toot my own horn but I still remember how overwhelmed I was starting out and how unsure I was that I could actually lose the weight. Needless to say, I am on cloud nine right now.
I am still using the shakes one to two times a day and I am so glad because they just work out so well.

Have a good day!

"Be careful the environment you choose for it will shape you; be careful the friends you choose for you will become like them." ~ W. Clement Stone

BELIEVE IN THE POWER WITHIN YOURSELF!
homestretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:46 AM   #574
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks for the welcome, Homestretch! WW! 50 pounds lost is incredible-go ahead and toot your horn I am just beginning my journey and 50 pounds seems almost impossible. I am just taking it one day at a time and setting mini goals to reach along the way. As I said Im enjoying the shakes and hoping for a loss when I weigh in on Sunday. Again, Congrats
scrappychik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:47 AM   #575
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb79fl
Start Date: Every day
WTG Homestretch! I'm SO Jealous!! Actually, not! Just so proud of you and know that I'll be there in a few more months.
Deb79fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:58 AM   #576
Senior LCF Member

I am on a self imposed "carb week".
I decided to give myself a break from the low carb WOE for one week and not worry about what I chose to eat (within reason!). Today is day four and instead of a full week, I feel like I'm already past the need/want to eat carbs. I've had a few bagels, a roast beef sandwich, and a few other misc bread type additions. I was watching my calories and fat (exception of the sandwich last night). I felt like I had to get out of my system the desire to try an alternative plan. I was OK the first day because my appetite has changed so much over the last few months, but what I have found is that with every day of higher carbs, I have a bigger appetite with each passing day. Does that sentence make sense? So, today will be my last day of this WOE and tomorrow I'm back on track. Felt like it was a good experiment and something I needed to prove to myself. I have regained a few lbs, but know after one week, they will be gone.
I've ordered some products from Netrition to add some variety to my shakes routine. Hopefully, they are as good as my Atkins shakes. I bought Nectar brand shakes, one in Cappuchino and one cherry. Wanted to have the option of other flavors and something w/o caffeine (the cherry flavor), so when I'm working late I can have something handy to fill the hunger void. I liked the bars that I bought several weeks ago, but I think that was the start of the cravings cycle that I have been fighting with the last several weeks. Tasted too much like candy and I found I wanted more instead of feeling satisfied.
Had my interview yesterday and it went really well. I'll know something next week. I hope it works out, since one of the benefits mean I'll have better hours, no more evenings and no more Saturdays. It's been really hard since I don't get to eat dinner till 8-8:30 and by then I am completely famished, even if I ate a snack at 5 or so.
Well, that's it for now. Have to get ready for work.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 10-25-2007, 12:20 PM   #577

Wow Homestretch well done. You must be feeling so thrilled.

KUTGW Debs. Hope the job works out, fingers are crossed for you.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:35 PM   #578
Senior LCF Member

I got the job!

Received the call this afternoon! I'll start the beginning of November. It'll be so nice to have "normal" working hours again and be able to have scheduled meal times at home.

So, picked up my low carb foods from the grocery store, my "sticks" and will repeat Induction for probably a week. This should break any cravings I have set back in motion this week.

Funny thing is.... I missed my shakes and every time I thought about bread, I still wanted my meat/protein with it!
Old 10-25-2007, 01:36 PM   #579
Senior LCF Member

Maybe now I can start getting in some regular exercise, too!
Old 10-25-2007, 01:41 PM   #580
Big Yapper!!!!

Congratulations on the job, Deb
Old 10-25-2007, 03:18 PM   #581
Senior LCF Member

Thanks!
BTW... Belated welcome on board!
The 50 lbs long term goal always seems like you'll never reach it, but you will! I try to stay focused on 10 pound goals, getting out of each group... 190, 180,170, etc., makes it easier. You and I are on about the same track with our weight goals, so we can help reinforce each other. My goal is to get under 160 before the end of the year, 155 would be nice, then would like to be in the 130's by May 2008, in time for my next wedding anniversary, this will be 22 years (which also happens to be how long since I was in the 130's!)
Everyone on this board is so nice and helpful and never judge. I really like that since I've been falling off the wagon recently and no one has ever said anything to make me feel worse. Everyone has had struggles and learned from them and ultimately we're all getting healthier, so that's the most important thing. The weight loss is an added bonus!
Well, I'm at work and should be working.... just can't seem to stay focused, MMM... can't imagine why?!
Old 10-26-2007, 04:18 AM   #582
Big Yapper!!!!

Deb! I focus on the "decades" too. Cant wait to get into the 150s again. I would love to hit goal by June 2008 (my 39th birthday) My DH and I will celebrate 20 years next August. Lots to look forward to and I want to be a smaller, healthier me. We can do it - and youre right LCF are the best
Old 10-26-2007, 11:05 AM   #583
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: homestretch
Stats: 206.5/155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/26/06
Hey thanks everyone for celebrating with me!

**Lisa** It has taken me almost a year and a half to lose 50 pounds. I focused on small victories the entire way and rewarded myself for reaching goals. It has been an amazing experience and if I had the choice of losing all 50 pounds in 6 months I would still do it the exact way that I have. I have learned so much that I could not have learned if this was short and easy. You will lose the weight just focus on your mini goals and enjoy changing your life!

**Deb**Congrats on the new job! Keeping a normal schedule will be so good for you. I am glad your carb week turned into just a few days. Each and every time I allow myself carbs I realize how much I do not need them in my life any more. It is very cool how our tastes change over time and how aware we become that carbs just make us hungry. Are you eating plenty of fat? I can tell you that now that I have increased my fat the carbs just do not call to me like they used to. When I was on SB and eating lowfat I was hungry all of the time and even when I started with the shakes I had a hard time with the fat. But now I really enjoy coconut oil, avocados, mayo, cream cheese, and all the other good stuff. It seems like the more fat I eat the more weight I lose....go figure!

Wishing everyone a terrific day!

Last edited by homestretch; 10-26-2007 at 11:06 AM..
homestretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:30 PM   #584
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: delynmonet
WOE: Atkins - 2 shakes per day/lc meal
Start Date: November 16, 2001
FIFTY POUNDS!!! LOOK WHAT I MISSED . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestretch View Post
First of all Lisa!

156.5! I am down a half pound this morning! I did not even realize until I changed my stats that I had reached the 50 pound mark. Can I just say that I am amazed that I did this? I don't mean to toot my own horn but I still remember how overwhelmed I was starting out and how unsure I was that I could actually lose the weight. Needless to say, I am on cloud nine right now.
I am still using the shakes one to two times a day and I am so glad because they just work out so well.

Have a good day!

Homestretch -

:notwrth y:

Look what I missed - Congrats to you!!! I have been soooo busy that I have not visited the board for several days on end!!! I KNEW THAT YOU COULD DO IT!!! I am sooooo happy and very proud of you!! Keep up the great work! And again, congrats, congrats, congrats!!!
delynmonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:39 PM   #585
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb79fl View Post
I got the job!

Received the call this afternoon! I'll start the beginning of November. It'll be so nice to have "normal" working hours again and be able to have scheduled meal times at home.

So, picked up my low carb foods from the grocery store, my "sticks" and will repeat Induction for probably a week. This should break any cravings I have set back in motion this week.

Funny thing is.... I missed my shakes and every time I thought about bread, I still wanted my meat/protein with it!
Deb, Best wishes on the new job and congratulations!

I've been away from the board for a few days - but got a chance to check it out. I read your earlier post about the carbs - I am proud of you. We all go through that little "something" with cravings. Would you be willing to try low carb bread? Every now and then, I will make a turkey and cheese sandwich on low carb bread which tastes like the real thing. And, as far as the bars are concerned - I, too, went through the longing for more "sweets" because the Endulge bars tastes like HEAVEN and I found myself eating more and more and picking up weight at one time - and forget about the luscious Endulge Ice Cream bars - had to stop cold turkey! They're soooo good but we must restrain ourselves. Too much low carbs adds to regular carbs when we're out of control.

I'm glad that you recognize what your body needs and should (and should not) go for. That's a real sign of learning HOW to eat! Keep up the good work!

Weight before re-induction - 12/2/05 - 167 lbs
Re-induction again: 12/26/05 - 165 lbs (42.5% BF)
Atkins Shakes Plan: 7/6/10 - 168 lbs (40% BF)
Goal weight - 140 lbs, size 8
Old 10-26-2007, 01:41 PM   #586
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbiegrl View Post
Deb! I focus on the "decades" too. Cant wait to get into the 150s again. I would love to hit goal by June 2008 (my 39th birthday) My DH and I will celebrate 20 years next August. Lots to look forward to and I want to be a smaller, healthier me. We can do it - and youre right LCF are the best
Lisa -

You will hit your goal as you have made a serious decision and are sticking with it. Being healthier is the key - and you will make it! Welcome to our board!!!
Old 10-26-2007, 01:54 PM   #587
Senior LCF Member

Evening All,
Well, my first day back on Induction and so far, so good! It's not quite 5 o'clock, tummy is rumbling a little, but nothing I can't handle. Should have brought a snack (have some nuts in my bag, but know it's a no-no for now).
Chicken and veggies for dinner (in a few hours) and my snack will be a sugar free root beer with a splash of heavy cream. Dr. A called this an egg creme and it hits the spot!
Going to stop at GNC on the way home and pick up some coconut oil... can you say "bark". Figure it's one of the best ways to increase the fat and maybe jumpstart ketosis. Tastes good too!
Any other suggestions for the CO that any of you have tried?
My grocery store must have known I was starting Induction again, they put chicken on sale! Hurrah! Need a bigger freezer... I would have cleaned them out if I had the room. Maybe "Santa" will get me a deep freeze!
Have a great Friday night and will try to post again tomorrow!

Last edited by Deb79fl; 10-26-2007 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 10-26-2007, 06:25 PM   #588
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delynmonet View Post
Lisa -

You will hit your goal as you have made a serious decision and are sticking with it. Being healthier is the key - and you will make it! Welcome to our board!!!
Thanks Del! You are such an inspiration
Old 10-26-2007, 06:29 PM   #589
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Evening All,
Well, my first day back on Induction and so far, so good! It's not quite 5 o'clock, tummy is rumbling a little, but nothing I can't handle. Should have brought a snack (have some nuts in my bag, but know it's a no-no for now).
Chicken and veggies for dinner (in a few hours) and my snack will be a sugar free root beer with a splash of heavy cream. Dr. A called this an egg creme and it hits the spot!
Going to stop at GNC on the way home and pick up some coconut oil... can you say "bark". Figure it's one of the best ways to increase the fat and maybe jumpstart ketosis. Tastes good too!
Any other suggestions for the CO that any of you have tried?
My grocery store must have known I was starting Induction again, they put chicken on sale! Hurrah! Need a bigger freezer... I would have cleaned them out if I had the room. Maybe "Santa" will get me a deep freeze!
Have a great Friday night and will try to post again tomorrow!
It sounds like youre off to a great re-start. I've heard many people talk about the bark-it sounds great. Do you have a recipe handy that you could share ? TIA

Have a good weekend all
Old 10-27-2007, 09:43 AM   #590

I was one who didn't like the bark...too rich for me!

I am not too good with my CO I should use it more, I love fresh coconut but the taste of the CO is strong to me except when I use it in cooking things like curries.

I started the day with a shake, then had some really good rotisserie chicken and a mediocre salad while travelling back down to Devon. Not sure about tonight.

We have friends coming to stay tomorrow for three nights, so I expect to eat and drink more than I should.

Our clocks go back tonight....winter is nearly here!

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:17 PM   #591

Gallery: SuzeZee
Stats: Age:70 5'2"
WOE: General LC
I have been following this thread for awhile, albeit just "lurking", but out of simply severe frustration I think I have to not only count calories but make my daily intake very simple. The shakes do this for me in my mind, and isn't this where it all begins anyway? I would like to know how many calories some of you are taking in. At my age, 68, it is just the pits to make any headway. Got any suggestions for this old gal? Am starting the new plan using the shakes Monday. Thanks guys!

Suze
165/165/135
SuzeZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 01:44 PM   #592
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Suze!

I'm not too sure about everyones calorie intake, everyone seems to be a little different.

I would suggest using the shakes once a day for a meal replacement, this seems to be the easiest way to get started. I have mine for breakfast. I did try twice a day, one for BF and one for lunch, but I found I needed the food in my system. I think because my work schedule has been challenging the last few months, it was too long between meals for me. BF seems to work best for me, as it fills me up, is easy to just reach for my can and I put it over ice (Mocha is my favorite). For me it's a "no brainer".
I have just restarted Induction, so I'm readjusting my diet. The shakes have been the one thing I have not changed. I dropped them for a few days (when I decided to try low fat/high carb again) and missed having them. I think one of the best things about them is not stressing about what I am going to eat, will I go over on carbs, how much fat, etc., everything is already figured out for me.

Welcome to the thread and I know some of the other ladies will be back to help you as well. Weekends tend to be slower here.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:19 PM   #593
Big Yapper!!!!

Suze! I just started the shake routine myself. I think it helps especially those of us getting closer to goal that need to start watching calories a little more closely. Like Deb I am drinking a shake for breakfast. I went on a website to determine how many calories I need per day based on my age, height, weight and activity level and I am supposed to stay below 1550 to LOSE. I dont ever go below 1200 per day. So far I am doing well~ 1 pound per week. HTH
Old 10-28-2007, 05:01 PM   #594

Suze!

I am not far behind you at 60

I am a bit different to some here because I am on maintainance, but I never have counted calories since starting Atkins in 2000.

I use his books carefully and one of his biggest rules is, eat when you are hungry, and stop when you are full......hard if, like me, you had a lifetime of overeating behind you. I also started exercising after the first few months, again he says that exercise is a necessity not an option!

Since reaching goal, or there abouts, I have found that I can say no to high carb foods quite easily because I feel so well and satisfied on low carb foods.

Del got me interested in this thread because we both try to exercise regularly and I am really not good about breakfast. (I like to skip it! :blush::blush::blush

I found that a shake first thing gets me through a work-out and keeps me going until a late lunch really easily.

All of us are different, Del and Homestretch do 2 shakes a day usually and it works really well for them. I love the simplicity of the shakes, although somewhere in the back of my mind I know I still need to eat 'properly'.

So good to have you on these boards, dig around and you will find so much support.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:52 AM   #595
Senior LCF Member

What a way to start the week!! I'm on day 4 of Induction and knew I had lost some weight, but this is SO nice!! When I started on Friday I weighed 170.5, not a surprise since eating all those carbs always puts a few pounds on me, on Saturday I had lost 1 pound, on Sunday, lost another. This was what I knew would be normal loss after a high carb binge. But, I couldn't believe it when I got on the scale this a.m. and saw 165.5! New low for me and it gives me motivation to keep going. I was hoping to hit a 40 lb loss before Thanksgiving and looks like that goal will definitely happen!

Don't know what kicked it into gear, but I did add coconut oil (probably had two tablespoons yesterday) in the form of the bark. I was snacking most of the day, eating a little something every few hours. I found when I go on Induction, this works better for me than scheduled 3 meals a day. I don't get the headaches by keeping my food level more consistent.

I have not told my family that I was trying to lose weight as I'd fallen off track so many times over the years and knew if I failed I'd feel worse. I haven't seen my mom since before I started in May and my extended family (MIL,SIL,etc.,) in about the same time frame. Since the holidays are coming and we're schedlung get togethers I want to be able to get the Wow factor in person. I feel like a whole new person and even though I still have a long way to my final goal, it's nice to be able to look in the mirror and know that I look like my old self again.

Well, off to have my shake and run some errands. Have a great day everyone and thanks for listening to me and as always, supporting me in my choices, no matter what they are! You're a great group of people!!
Old 10-30-2007, 11:12 AM   #596
Big Yapper!!!!

Great job, Deb! I am doing the happy dance today, too. I weighed in at 162 this AM -down from 169 at the beginning of the month. I exceeded my October goal by one pound- YES! The 150s are even closer...
How is everyone else doing?

Last edited by scrappychik; 10-30-2007 at 11:13 AM..
Old 10-30-2007, 12:17 PM   #597
Major LCF Poster!

Suze!!

I've been so busy that I have not been able to really relax and check out the boards in my usual way! But, I love what I am reading!!

Congrats, congrats, congrats to Deb and Lisa for that "down in pounds" report! WOOHOOOO! Way to go and a great way to start off the week!!! Keep it up (I mean down)!!!

Suze - I haven't charted my calorie intake - so I can't help in that department with an answer. All I know is that the Shakes have helped me keep a serious handle on low carb and low calories on a daily basis.

Maybe someone else will have an answer for you in that department. But, we're glad to have you join our group and look forward to more posts!
Old 10-30-2007, 02:39 PM   #598
Senior LCF Member

WTG Lisa! That's excellent @ 18 pounds!

The 150's are calling to us aren't they?? Probably another week for you and a little longer for me.

Just a friendly reminder to everyone...... STEP AWAY FROM THE HALLOWEEN CANDY!

This is actually the first time that I haven't gotten several bags for the little ghoulies and at least two for hubby and myself. I'm so freakin' proud of myself, this is a small goal that I've never been able to reach.

Last edited by Deb79fl; 10-30-2007 at 02:44 PM..
Old 10-30-2007, 02:44 PM   #599
Senior LCF Member

Anniversary for this thread

Wow!

I was just rereading through the thread and noticed that November 1,2006 was the start of this thread.

What a great idea it was and so nice to know that it's still active and alive with more people, lots of support, and continuing ideas and reinforcement.

Hope to see everyone here in November 2008!

Last edited by Deb79fl; 10-30-2007 at 02:45 PM..
Old 10-31-2007, 01:45 AM   #600
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Wow!

I was just rereading through the thread and noticed that November 1,2006 was the start of this thread.

What a great idea it was and so nice to know that it's still active and alive with more people, lots of support, and continuing ideas and reinforcement.

Hope to see everyone here in November 2008!

Deb79fl,

Thanks so much! It's all of you that are an inspiration to me. This thread started as my journey to move the rest of the stubborn pounds and simply post my accomplishments. Then, support came from others watching my progress. Next thing I knew, others were using a similar low carb/low caloric way of lifestyle be it a different protein shake or variations. Then, it took off . . . .

Success in weight loss is being achieved and it's wonderful. We don't have to give up our dream of being healthier - no matter what method we choose. We just have to do something - a change here and there - there will be success.

Thanks for all of your support, everyone - and much success to you all!