Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2007, 08:20 PM   #361
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: smimmons
Stats: 337/216/185
WOE: Atkins/diet dr
Start Date: May 29, 2007
Hello Everyone!
Sorry to butt in, but I would like to ask Delynmonet a question. I read that you are on depo, I am also a many year user and lover of the shot. I was wondering did the low carb diet mess with your hormones? I haven't had a period in years, and when I got into this diet for about two weeks, I started spotting (nothing heavy) but I have been doing it for awhile now. The doc seems not to really know whats going on, but says that when you burn fat estrogen gets released in your body. Just wondering if you had experienced this. Other threads about depo just end up bashing it with no real questions answered. Thanks.
BTW-I love the shakes for breakfast...strawberry is the greatest-just got a hamilton beach icy treats maker and they are so wonderful with the snow cone type ice.

Julie
smimmons is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2007, 08:39 AM   #362
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: delynmonet
WOE: Atkins - 2 shakes per day/lc meal
Start Date: November 16, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by smimmons View Post
Hello Everyone!
Sorry to butt in, but I would like to ask Delynmonet a question. I read that you are on depo, I am also a many year user and lover of the shot. I was wondering did the low carb diet mess with your hormones? I haven't had a period in years, and when I got into this diet for about two weeks, I started spotting (nothing heavy) but I have been doing it for awhile now. The doc seems not to really know whats going on, but says that when you burn fat estrogen gets released in your body. Just wondering if you had experienced this. Other threads about depo just end up bashing it with no real questions answered. Thanks.
BTW-I love the shakes for breakfast...strawberry is the greatest-just got a hamilton beach icy treats maker and they are so wonderful with the snow cone type ice.

Julie

smimmoms! Yes, I am sooooo familiar with the breakthrough spotting. I can't personally blame it on the WOE plan, but my hormones have changed and I am peri-menopausal. But the strangest thing happened a few months ago. I am rigid on the plan . . . I know for a fact that I did not fall off the wagon, and I had bleeding, water, bloating, salt retention, etc. and the scale said that I weighed 149-151!!! I called my gyn doctor and he told me that it was not true weight gain. He told me that I was experiencing "hormonal distribution" and that is something that makes you hold salt, water, etc. during the menopausal stage.

He told me not to worry, and to keep on "dieting" and exercising like I regularly do - and it would adjust itself in a few days. So, I continued my WOE and glad that I did. The so-called "weight" went back to normal.

The shakes are really helping me to stay on track with my eating and exercise. And I am constantly dropping in inches now. Subconsciously, I know that I am doing this to stay healthy - so I get more motivated when I see that the weight is staying off for good this time, as long as I am focused. They are so convenient as an in-between snack too. I have to check out BJ's and see if I can get strawberry but I am definitely in love with the cholcolate.

I hope that helps. By the way, thanks for stopping by with that question!

Weight before re-induction - 12/2/05 - 167 lbs
Re-induction again: 12/26/05 - 165 lbs (42.5% BF)
Atkins Shakes Plan: 7/6/10 - 168 lbs (40% BF)
Goal weight - 140 lbs, size 8

Last edited by delynmonet; 08-24-2007 at 08:43 AM..
delynmonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:47 AM   #363
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: homestretch
Stats: 206.5/155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/26/06
Hooray today is Friday

Glad it is Friday, my son is coming home from college for the weekend. Walked/hiked this morning and this heat wave we are having in MO needs to break soon because it is killing me. Even early in the morning it is so hot and humid . I tried the mocha shake this morning and I was disappointed, I thought it was yuck. I also got the caramel and I hope that it is good. So far the chocolate royale is by far the best. I have been experimenting with stuff in my blender and I have found something yummy and filling for everyone to try.
Move over Starbucks! (20 calories from choc syrup)
1 cup of decaf or whatever coffee you like
3-4 Tbsp of Davinci caramel syrup
2 tbsp of Davinci chocolate syrup
4-5 ice cubes
Blend away!
If you do not have the Davinci syrup I am sure you could add cocoa and splenda or whatever extract you like. I also got the Designer Protein powder in chocolate and blended it with 4oz of water, ice and 2 tbsp of half-n-half. It tasted like ice cream - yummy (140 calories). When it is 100 degrees the blender is my best friend!
Here is my plan for the day:
B: Mocha Atkins shake
L: Caramel Atkins shake
S: cheese stick
D: Fajitas???? I want to go out for Mexican tonight and have the fajitas. I only eat the meat, veggies and guacomole (sp?). It is a fabulous treat so I hope we get to go out.

Have a happy and successful day!

"Be careful the environment you choose for it will shape you; be careful the friends you choose for you will become like them." ~ W. Clement Stone

BELIEVE IN THE POWER WITHIN YOURSELF!
homestretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:15 PM   #364
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
One shake this morning, a weight class, a large glass of a very nice rose wine and a small piece of lamb, halloumi cheese and red pepper on the BBQ, along with a spinach, tomato and baby spinach salad.

A perfect summer day! I looooove Atkins.

Homestretch, why not try adding some instant coffee granules, decaf for me, to the moccha shake???

Have a great weekend everyone.

PS You don't seem to eat much lamb in the US. We love it over here.

Last edited by Kissa; 08-24-2007 at 01:21 PM..
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:55 PM   #365
Major LCF Poster!

***Kissa*** What a wonderful menu! We do not eat a great deal of lamb here in the US. In fact I have never had it! I am in the midwest where beef and pork rule. I would like to try it. Maybe next time I go to a restaurant where it is offered I will give it a try.

I realized that I have been on the shake routine for one month now and I have dropped 7.5 pounds . Not bad for someone who was struggling to just maintain on SB! Thank you ***Del*** once again for starting this thread! I did not even realize that I had lost that amount, when I did the math in my head I thought I had lost about 6 pounds. Math was not my subject in school, can you tell?
Old 08-24-2007, 06:43 PM   #366
KOO

Gallery: KOO
Stats: Starting 183(2/06)now below....
WOE: Hcg 9/12/12...142.5/134/130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post

Homestretch, why not try adding some instant coffee granules, decaf for me, to the moccha shake???

That is how I make mine. l chocolate delight Atkins can, l teaspoon of decaf instant coffee, some half and half to make it go further (I split it with DD), a couple drops of sweetzfree, ice and blend away. Since making these at home I find the starbucks aren't as good as I remember them.
KOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:09 PM   #367
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOO View Post
That is how I make mine. l chocolate delight Atkins can, l teaspoon of decaf instant coffee, some half and half to make it go further (I split it with DD), a couple drops of sweetzfree, ice and blend away. Since making these at home I find the starbucks aren't as good as I remember them.
I will have to give it a try! Thanks!
Old 08-24-2007, 07:11 PM   #368
Major LCF Poster!

Kissa, I love lamb - I eat lamb chops occasionally. It's better than the pork chops. I don't eat it regularly, but I love the taste.

Homestretch - congrats on the 7.5 lbs. Guess what, we are very close with this - I lost 8 lbs. (only .5 difference) in one month! Keep up the good work . . . you're the one who deserves the kudos - you're really sticking with your plan! But you're welcome regarding the thread - I just can't believe how many of us LCF's actually drink the shakes or have a shake routine! It feels great to read and share others' progress with it.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:28 AM   #369
Major LCF Poster!

Saturday, August 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by delynmonet View Post
Kissa, I love lamb - I eat lamb chops occasionally. It's better than the pork chops. I don't eat it regularly, but I love the taste.

Homestretch - congrats on the 7.5 lbs. Guess what, we are very close with this - I lost 8 lbs. (only .5 difference) in one month! Keep up the good work . . . you're the one who deserves the kudos - you're really sticking with your plan! But you're welcome regarding the thread - I just can't believe how many of us LCF's actually drink the shakes or have a shake routine! It feels great to read and share others' progress with it.
Funny thing, yesterday I was down half a pound but I did not want to post it because I thought it was a fluctuation. Today I am still down half a pound for a total of 8! When I initially started and read through all of your threads I hoped that I would get the same kind of results and I did!

I have a family reunion to go to this afternoon so here is my plan:
B: Carbquick pancakes (just had to try them and they were good but not something I will eat all the time, maybe just on weekends).
L: Atkins shake right before we go to the reunion
D: I know we are having baked chicken so that is safe and I am taking cucumber slaw so that is probably what I will eat!

Have a great and successful Saturday!
Old 08-25-2007, 08:02 AM   #370
Major LCF Poster!

Congats, Homestretch!!

Okay, good news for me too - after the longest . . . this morning the scale read 142.8! Not getting excited yet, though, like Homestretch, I am waiting a few days before I officially can say that I AM 142. No matter what, I am still counting down to my goal of 140.

I will still state that my weight is 143. But something's happening.

The BBQ is today . . . can't wait till everything is in gear! Had a shake for breakfast and will have one for lunch in preparation for the good low carb eats. I made a Cherry Cream Cheese Pie - using Splenda. The guests will never know. This way, I can have the cream cheese filling . . . ha ha ha!

Have a lovely day everybody!
Old 08-25-2007, 11:36 AM   #371
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mstamika
Stats: 217.6/217.6/140
Start Date: When I was born
Woohoo! Good Job

Way to go Dely & homestretch. I continue to be inspired!

~T
mstamika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 02:37 PM   #372

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
WTG Homestretch and Del, really good work.

Glad that you eat lamb Del, it is delicious isn't it?

Have a a great party today.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:49 AM   #373
Major LCF Poster!

Sunday!

Go Del! Go Del! Go Del! The jingle is playing in my head as I type.

I made it through the family reunion with flying colors! I ate chicken and vegetables. I did not even look at the dessert table. Since we ate at 3:00 I was hungry by 6:30 and I had a shake (love those shakes!) Then we took the family bowling at about 8:00pm and it was a lot of fun! Needless to say that by the time we got home around 11:30 I was exhausted.

Here is my Sunday Plan:
B: Bacon and Eggs
L: Roast Beef and green beans
S: Not sure that I will need one
D: Atkins Shake

Have a happy Sunday!
Old 08-26-2007, 01:50 PM   #374
Major LCF Poster!

Well, TM Buddies - the BBQ was a big hit and I was soooo happy about that. I did not eat anything - can you believe that? In all the excitement, I ate around 12:30 am after cleaning up and helping DH with putting the tables and chairs in some decent order for pickup on Monday.

Good news though . . . I weighed myself this morning and the scale read 142.6! So, I am officially 142 lbs.! WOOO HOO! Time to change the siggy!
Old 08-27-2007, 05:19 AM   #375
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: momof9
Stats: 274.6/220/150
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 2/2009
i am going to hawaii in january. i have tried to stay on all kinds of plans. now i am i need for fast reliable weight loss. this is the easiest for me. i have decided to try a week of shakes and then a week of no extras atkins. i am going to see what plan can give me the hunger control that i need to stay on until and through hawaii (i have a europe trip in july...lots of walking ). i will keep you posted. i know atkins has a plan of his own but i have been doing that since may. i lost very few pounds and gained it back. i will try to post often and let you know how it is going. i hope this works.
momof9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:54 AM   #376
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Well, TM Buddies - the BBQ was a big hit and I was soooo happy about that. I did not eat anything - can you believe that? In all the excitement, I ate around 12:30 am after cleaning up and helping DH with putting the tables and chairs in some decent order for pickup on Monday.

Good news though . . . I weighed myself this morning and the scale read 142.6! So, I am officially 142 lbs.! WOOO HOO! Time to change the siggy!
:kick ing: I am so happy for you! All of your hard work is paying off in inches and pounds!:kickin g: I am glad you had a great time at the BBQ!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:57 AM   #377
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof9 View Post
i am going to hawaii in january. i have tried to stay on all kinds of plans. now i am i need for fast reliable weight loss. this is the easiest for me. i have decided to try a week of shakes and then a week of no extras atkins. i am going to see what plan can give me the hunger control that i need to stay on until and through hawaii (i have a europe trip in july...lots of walking ). i will keep you posted. i know atkins has a plan of his own but i have been doing that since may. i lost very few pounds and gained it back. i will try to post often and let you know how it is going. i hope this works.
Momof9. Thanks for your post. I hope that you will have success with drinking the shakes along with incorporating a low carb Way of Eating, too. I am an avid Atkins-ite and continue on his plan on a daily basis. The combination of lowering calories, carbs and exercise is helping me to lose inches and weight and maintain keeping it off. The shakes are very convenient particularly if you have a hectic lifestyle.

We all experience weight gain for various reasons, but Atkins overall helped me get it off. I weigh myself constantly and that's one of the keys. At one time, I stopped weighing myself - then when I stepped on the scale - there was a lot more to get off. So, once you see yourself even creeping up by five pounds, Dr. Atkins suggested to go back to the Induction phase, get it off, and then maintain. That's my living rule now . . .

Low calorie and low carb eating, drinking plenty of water, taking vitamin supplements and regular exercise worked like a charm for me. I also keep a journal of measurements, weight ups/downs and exercise chart, so I compare my progress on a monthly and yearly basis.

Much success to you and within five months, you may be able to see a difference. Keep us posted. ALOHA!!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:59 AM   #378
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestretch View Post
:kick ing: I am so happy for you! All of your hard work is paying off in inches and pounds!:kickin g: I am glad you had a great time at the BBQ!

Homestretch,

Thanks so much for your inspiring compliments. You're on your way, too!!! I am in the chorus line with you too!!

I'm still counting down to 140!! (Fluctuations and all)

Keep up the good work~~

Last edited by delynmonet; 08-27-2007 at 09:00 AM..
Old 08-27-2007, 09:04 AM   #379
Major LCF Poster!

Monday

It is Monday! Everyone's favorite day of the week right?
I was actually down another half pound today! I will take it since I am approaching TOM and who knows what that has in store for me! Here is my plan for the day:

B: Atkins shake
L: Atkins shake with 3 strawberries and tbsp of flax blended
S: Idunno something with coconut oil
D: Grilled steak/salad/beans

Have a wonderful Day!
Old 08-27-2007, 09:07 AM   #380
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Homestretch,

Thanks so much for your inspiring compliments. You're on your way, too!!! I am in the chorus line with you too!!

I'm still counting down to 140!! (Fluctuations and all)

Keep up the good work~~
Can you believe that you are only 2 pounds away from goal? That is amazing. It is so cool to look back at your posts on this thread and see how far you have progressed!
Old 08-27-2007, 09:23 AM   #381
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: losingjusme
WOE: losingjusme-kins LC my way
last week was very good to me. i did mostly shakes for 2 meals a day. down 7.45 pounds.
losingjusme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:53 AM   #382
Major LCF Poster!

GOOD FOR YOU . . . !

Quote:
Originally Posted by losingjusme View Post
last week was very good to me. i did mostly shakes for 2 meals a day. down 7.45 pounds.

Losingjusme -

Down 7.45 pounds! I am dancing for you -
That's great and keep up the good work . . . keep us posted!!!

When did you start - about two to three weeks ago?

Last edited by delynmonet; 08-27-2007 at 10:00 AM..
Old 08-27-2007, 11:13 AM   #383
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by losingjusme View Post
AMAZING!
Old 08-27-2007, 04:30 PM   #384
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb79fl
Start Date: Every day
Hi Everyone,
New to this post and have a question. I started drinking the shakes twice a day and then having low carb dinner, some sort of meat and either veggie or salad. Lost 5 lbs during this time so no complaints!!
My question is... I'm OK with the two liquid meals, but since I rarely get to eat dinner before 8:00 p.m., I am by that time very hungry and usually have developed a headache. I'm assuming it's because too much time has elapsed since my last meal/drink. Any suggestions on a snack that will keep me on track w/o effecting my weight loss? Also curious about how much the lower calories that I seem to be taking in might be having on the process. Most of my calculations have my average calories at about 1000, but no more than 1200. Two shakes, one piece of chicken breast, and either salad with oil and vinegar or bowl of spinach most evenings.
Thanks for any feedback!
Deb79fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:31 PM   #385
Major LCF Poster!

Deb
Are you sure you are even taking in 1000 calories? It sounds to me like you are eating quite a bit less than that. Here is what I am thinking 2 shakes = 320 calories, 6 oz of chicken breast (which is a lot) = 300 calories, spinach = 15 calories, dressing = 120. That is only 755 calories which is quite low and would certainly contribute to a daily headache. I eat a snack most days and I have 2 hardboiled eggs and cauliflower, ham with mayo and lettuce rolled up, or coffee with coconut oil and a small piece of cheese. Then I can wait until 6:30 or 7:00 to eat dinner without wanting to gnaw my arm off. I think too many days of too few calories will slow your metabolism and make your weight loss stall. Congratulations on your loss so far and good luck!

Last edited by homestretch; 08-27-2007 at 06:33 PM..
Old 08-27-2007, 07:09 PM   #386

Gallery: Jean@125
Stats: 166/150.8/ ? 5'2
WOE: hanging on for dear life
trying shake routine starting tomorrow

Just went to walmart tonight. I mow have a pack of chocolate and vanilla atkins shakes and a pack of EAS shakes. I'm gonna try this shakes routine and see how it goes. Need to get motivated and back on track. I justed finished TOM, so I am considering this a perfect time to start. keep you posted!
Jean@125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:09 PM   #387
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb79fl
Start Date: Every day
Thanks Homestretch!
I was "guessing" on the calories, but calculated in additional fat used in cooking to be safe.
I will have to have some snacks on hand for a quick bite. The rollups sound great and I should incorporate more veggie snacks into the plan.
I did make coconut bark several weeks ago and wondered how much to eat daily? Some days it was a great treat and others, I couldn't stand the thought of it. My appetite varies a lot from day to day.
Deb79fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:20 AM   #388
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: losingjusme
WOE: losingjusme-kins LC my way
thanks guys, i appreciate the encouragement!!

it has been 2 weeks. last week was more strict. week before not so great, carb overload... and gained 2. but i am down almost 19 for the month.
losingjusme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:38 AM   #389
Major LCF Poster!

Filling in the gaps between the two shakes . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb79fl View Post
Hi Everyone,
New to this post and have a question. I started drinking the shakes twice a day and then having low carb dinner, some sort of meat and either veggie or salad. Lost 5 lbs during this time so no complaints!! . . . My question is... Any suggestions on a snack that will keep me on track w/o effecting my weight loss? . . . Thanks for any feedback!
Deb79fl,

I would drink decaf coffee and plenty of water in between the two shakes. I'd also eat nuts, berries, cheese, etc. As Homestretch suggested, the rollups made with luncheon meat are great to have on hand. Also, I would make a quick appetizer platter such as devilled eggs, whitefish, sardines, celery stuffed with anchovie cream cheese, chopped chicken liver. I'd have myself a regular little party with that!

Hope that helps!
Old 08-28-2007, 08:32 AM   #390
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb79fl View Post
Thanks Homestretch!
I was "guessing" on the calories, but calculated in additional fat used in cooking to be safe.
I will have to have some snacks on hand for a quick bite. The rollups sound great and I should incorporate more veggie snacks into the plan.
I did make coconut bark several weeks ago and wondered how much to eat daily? Some days it was a great treat and others, I couldn't stand the thought of it. My appetite varies a lot from day to day.
I need to look at the recipe for coconut bark. I remember seeing it and thinking that it sounded really good!