Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Annieway
I fainted!

I've been mostly lurking here for a few months and doing JUDDD when I can. I restarted rotations about 10 days ago after a month of traveling (and eating too much).

Yesterday was a DD. I ate about 400-450 calories, mostly at dinner time. I've been having good DDs every other day for at least 10 days and eating well on UDs (I don't count calories, just try to not go crazy). I've been feeling good and my too tight jeans are getting comfortable again.

Today, an UD, I got up and had a bowl of bran cereal with milk along with a cup of tea for breakfast at 5 AM. I have a job where I have telephone meetings with sites all over the world, and I had to talk to Russia at 6 AM. I got most of the way through the call and started to feel nauseous. Finished up the call and got up out of my chair to go throw up in the bathroom. I've never had this happen before! Never had any nausea or other problems while on JUDDD, and I haven't been sick.

Anyway, next thing I know, I'm lying on the floor in the dining room and my husband is standing over me asking if I'm OK. I was still a little nauseous and having kind of a "cold sweat" but I was mentally fine, and uninjured. My blood pressure is normally on the low side and I measured it and it was OK in its usual range.

My husband, who is a pediatrician, said I should try to have more salt on my DDs - i.e. drink bullion. He's quite sure I just fainted and is OK with me not going to the emergency room. He's not even telling me to stop JUDD which I was sure he would.

Has anyone else had this problem? It would make more sense to me if it had happened on a DD when I was at my hungriest before dinner, but this was an hour after I had eaten a substantial breakfast. I have never fainted before. I don't want to go through this again. Any suggestions?
Annieway is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
My first instinct is that it was an electrolyte imbalance (like your husband mentioned). With your already-low BP, getting enough sodium is necessary. I also have low blood pressure and I put salt on EVERYTHING.

If your husband isn't too worried, I'd just see how you do over the next few days. If it gets worse, or you faint again, I'd say you should probably follow up with your PCP.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:08 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Could be when you got up when you were feeling sick, you got up too fast and it caused the faint. I know when I first started JUDDDing if I stood up too fast I'd get lightheaded and things would start going dark around the edges for a second. Glad your DH doesn't think it's anything serious!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:06 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rabble Rouser
Read this-
Orthostatic hypotension (postural hypotension) Definition - Diseases and Conditions - Mayo Clinic

Be sure you're drinking enough water on DDs and UDs both. My daughter gets that and her pediatrician said first address the hydration and then later maybe we'll check for anemia, if that doesn't solve it. We both have low-ish BP, too.
Rabble Rouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:04 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
My first instinct is that it was an electrolyte imbalance (like your husband mentioned). With your already-low BP, getting enough sodium is necessary. I also have low blood pressure and I put salt on EVERYTHING.

If your husband isn't too worried, I'd just see how you do over the next few days. If it gets worse, or you faint again, I'd say you should probably follow up with your PCP.

I have low blood pressure and if I don't get enough sodium I get dizzy- especially if I stand up quickly.

I'm glad you are alright and that DH isn't too concerned. You may also have a virus, since the nausea doesn't seem JUDDD related.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:06 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Another JUDDDer whose default is 90/56 BP - I'd second the electrolytes etc. tho' obviously it's something you need to observe about yourself.

Yes, I initially felt like death warmed over on some DDs but it improved. As per the others, changes of position (getting up from sitting down, particularly relatively early morning and presumably still within 3 hrs of being asleep) can be associated with nausea/hypotension.

Do let us know how you get on as I'm sure we'll be wondering, Annieway. Good Luck!
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:22 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Thank you all for your encouraging and reassuring words. I don't think it was a virus. I feel 100% fine now. I think the nausea was related to whatever made me faint because it came on very suddenly immediately before I fainted. I was just going along with my teleconference when all of a sudden I thought I'd better get off the call and head immediately to the bathroom and then bang I was on the floor. It all occurred in less than a minute.

I googled vasovagal syncope (the term my husband used). This includes nausea and cold sweat, and electrolyte balance can be involved too. It also lists stress (although it wasn't a particularly stressful telecom), prolonged sitting and standing up quickly. The episode may also possibly be related to my having donated blood about 10 days ago so my hemoglobin may still be a little low, although I've had lots of DDs since the donation.

Although I didn't see anything on line about this, I wonder if all my blood had rushed to my stomach to take advantage of the recent, long-awaited, arrival of FOOD after my good DD.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rabble Rouser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annieway View Post
Although I didn't see anything on line about this, I wonder if all my blood had rushed to my stomach to take advantage of the recent, long-awaited, arrival of FOOD after my good DD.
Oh, interesting theory! I wonder, though, since you had dinner and then breakfast at 5am, if the fast could really cause something like that? It kind of seems more likely your dinner would've been the triggering meal?

I hope it doesn't happen anymore! It must've been scary. My teen fainted in Ikea and I swear it scared me about as much as anything in my life ever has.
Rabble Rouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:26 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

I had never fainted before, but one of my brothers was a famous fainter when he was a child. He would faint at the sight of blood and also often when he served as an altar boy. My father was an Episcopal priest and he would drag my brother in to assist at services when he was a little kid. It wasn't my brother's favorite activity. I can remember often seeing my kneeling brother falling forward unconscious onto the altar steps and then my father swooping down in his billowing vestments to scoop him up and carry him outside for fresh air! I don't think he ever got hurt and I'm not sure he always actually fainted or used it as a convenient excuse to make a dramatic exit.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Yikes! That sounds really scary. I've had a few close calls with fainting at different times, but like others I have low BP normally. Hope getting your electrolytes in balance works for you and this doesn't happen!
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:19 AM   #11
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I have low BP, and a couple of mornings I almost fainted from orthostatic hypotension, but I've never experienced nausea when that happens. Perhaps there was something else going on, too.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote