Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2014, 06:33 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snackycake
Stats: 145.8/132.2/125 (every .1 lb counts!)
WOE: Atkins plus (recently) JUDDD
Start Date: July 2014
Hiding JUDDD?

I'm new to JUDDD, and have happily found it works for me so far, but I do have one concern/question. Does anyone else feel the need to sort of conceal/hide that you aren't eating (much) on DDs?

In my current workplace, everyone eats lunch together, every day, same time. So if every other day I just don't eat anything, people are bound to notice and (because they're good, caring people!) maybe even worry. I could nibble something for appearance's sake, but I think I prefer saving all of my DD calories for one evening meal, and just having a cup of broth or tea at lunch. And I wonder if explaining what I'm doing would make it worse, since people hear "under 500 calories" and the starvation/ED alarm bells start going off.

So how do people handle DDs when regularly confronted with potentially inquiring minds?
Snackycake is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2014, 06:55 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I didn't hide it from my coworkers. It probably helped that I always made lunch my biggest meal of the day on DDs. My coworkers were always supportive and interested in what strange concoction I was eating on that particular DD (until I discovered Wendy's chili - then that's all I ate for lunch on DDs).

What, when, and how you eat is nobody's business but your own. Explain it to them if you feel the need, or don't. It's totally up to you.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:07 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/121/119 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
For a long time, only my husband knew. A few weeks ago, a friend invited us out and I explained that my husband wouldn't be able to make it because he was golfing and I couldn't make it because I was fasting. What a can of worms!

I explained it as best I could, but I get the feeling that she thinks it's very extreme. I was texting with her yesterday and she mentioned that she had thought about inviting my husband and I out last Friday, but she knew it was my fasting day. I said I would be happy to join them and just eat very lightly, or not at all. Let's see if there's another invite in the future. I hope so.

I think one of the "problems" is that I'm at what most would consider a good weight. I think if it were obvious that I need to lose weight, she might be more understanding.

Two weeks ago, two co-workers cornered me to ask how I had been losing so much weight. I was vague this time, but I went back and explained the concept to the woman who seemed more intrigued. I don't think she's interested enough to try it, because I think she would have mentioned something by now.
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:38 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rabble Rouser
I think I would avoid the word 'fasting' or any calorie amounts but just give a partial truth--

"I'm trying a way of eating where some days for lunch I just have broth or tea and save my calories for dinner, so that on other days I can have a less restrictive lunch without blowing my diet."

And if anyone later pressed you for details, maybe recommend the Johnson book or one of the others on ADF or IF.
Rabble Rouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:41 AM   #5
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
My DD lunches don't really look too different. Often I eat a can of lite soup, or concoctions that look like salads but don't have heavy dressings, nuts or other calorie-heavy stuff that they do on UDs.

DH knows and is only concerned about the nights we don't go out to eat. I stick to MWF DDs so he knows which nights are which.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:47 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
In your case, if you have to eat lunch with these people everyday I would tell them. Unless you know they're going to react negatively? You could always just have some broth or something, but people tend to get so nosy about what others are or aren't eating, it's really annoying. There's so much food judgment in our society.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Katiebubb
Start Date: re-start: September 2014
My co-workers know. They had their opinions.....but hey my body my rules......at least I am doing something for my self and not scarfing down big bags of Dorito's and 2 litters of Pepsi like a few of them! <--yes I know my opinion but at least I didn't say it out loud to them!!! Just in my head as I shake it quietly!!! Lucky for me I eat lunch alone 99% of the time. Need a break from their drama's!!!! Never met a bunch of women like them before....really.....simple little things are break downs...big old sloppy tear break downs....seriously the one wanted a divorce because her hubby was running late and ran out the door in a hurry, but still texted I love you and sorry he forgot to say it when he left after he got to work ...........uggghhhh!!!
Katiebubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
Start Date: 2/16/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I didn't hide it from my coworkers. It probably helped that I always made lunch my biggest meal of the day on DDs. My coworkers were always supportive and interested in what strange concoction I was eating on that particular DD (until I discovered Wendy's chili - then that's all I ate for lunch on DDs).

What, when, and how you eat is nobody's business but your own. Explain it to them if you feel the need, or don't. It's totally up to you.

I'm hopping on that bandwagon because I ultimately did the same thing. What worked for me was that I had a colleague who was rocking JUDDD at the time and people already were aware of the process.

People made/make comments, but they don't live inside my body so they can just keep it moving.
LiLi914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
I like to start with the word, "doctor", and tell them about Dr. Johnson and his book. ("book" is another reassuring authority word) After all, that is super honest, since I didn't invent my way of eating and he deserves credit, plus it quickly lets others know that this way of eating has been carefully researched.

Really interested people then might like to hear briefly about Dr. Mark Mattson or Dr. Michael Mosley, for instance, or other scientists or doctors who have inspired you.

Another fact you might add is how many calories you are getting over a two-day period, adding your UD and DD usual calories. That is reassuring as well. Don't say, "I'm only eating ___ hundred calories today." Instead say, "I'll be eating _____ thousand ____ hundred calories over Monday and Tuesday." Again, that's just giving more honesty and more facts, to be sure no one is confused and assuming you need to be saved from starving yourself.

Best wishes!
Old 10-08-2014, 10:14 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
If your lunch people pay attention to each others' food, it's going to be tough to keep it under your hat for long. I didn't tell anyone but my immediate family for a good long time, but I work from home and didn't have to face the lunch crew.

I too, would avoid the word "fasting" until they understand the entire concept. When I started telling people, it was because they wanted to know how I was losing so well. But I really stressed all of the myriad health benefits of ADF, as well as weight loss, so they wouldn't have as much ammo to accuse me of eating disorders and such. And to my surprise, most people have been very intrigued by the whole idea. I don't think anyone has actually tried it (and some really could benefit from it!) but they don't judge me....out loud anyway!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #11
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
If you feel you need to say anything, leave it at "calorie counting" or "calorie cycling." No one argues with that.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

I'll *definitely* not be using the word "fasting," that seems like it would just invite more questions. "Calorie cycling" seems to be enough of an explanatory but not-insane sounding response to maybe nip further questions in the bud. Since I'm new to JUDDD I'm not quite ready to evangelize for it the way I've started to for more generalized LC eating - my parents visited my husband and I last week and on their way out I found myself pressing Wheat Belly and Keto Clarity into their hands!* - but maybe after more time doing rotations, I'll be more comfortable speaking about it.

People at lunch here do tend to notice, at least casually, what people are eating, hence my mild anxiety. I've always been uncomfortable with telling people when I'm trying to lose weight, at least people who aren't close friends - almost like I don't want to be pitied or feel like I've drawn attention to my body, or don't want people thinking I'm undisciplined. Taking control of my weight and health is something to be proud of though, so I know that thought process is misguided to some extent. It just makes me that much more wary of being open about trying a new WOE, especially if it's one that works awesomely!! but that people might think is kooky or extreme.

(*I'm not normally so obtrusive, but the subject of nutrition did come up through no fault of my own, so I took the opportunity to spread the gospel! Mostly my pro-LC agenda comes in the form of making my husband watch food documentaries with me. )
Old 10-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
In 2012 I weighed 199lbs at barely 5'2". In 2013 I weighted less than 125lbs.
That basically spoke for itself with those I knew personally and those I work with.
I'm a big believer in show me- don't tell me.
I'm also a big believer in being an expert in myself. This works for me and I don't suggest it to anyone. If I get questions about how I lost the weight I usually say "Google Dr. Johnson and the Alternate Day Diet- you can go to his website and read all about." Then I continue with whatever I was doing.
I'll be starting a new job next month and I imagine people will have questions or they might not.
I have no problem saying I fast 2 days a week for the health benefits. I prefer to be upfront about it if people ask rather than make up excuses about why I don't eat on Monday and Wednesday.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:33 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SICCHI
Stats: 149/138/130
WOE: FAST-5
Start Date: 29/8/12
I have never told anybody, not my husband, no one. I always say to people 'I just ate' or 'I'm still full from..'. My husband knows I am healthy so I just say I had a big lunch or I have a healthy salad for dinner. I get sick of the judgement.
SICCHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:28 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cali girl
Stats: 213/186/135 (5'7"- 57yrs)
Start Date: Sept.1st.2014 - 191lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SICCHI View Post
I have never told anybody, not my husband, no one. I always say to people 'I just ate' or 'I'm still full from..'. My husband knows I am healthy so I just say I had a big lunch or I have a healthy salad for dinner. I get sick of the judgement.
I have not told my family or my husband. I guess I don't want to here any lectures on my health. I have had such a hard time figuring out what diet will work for me, not just to loose but to be happy.
Once I have been doing JUDDD and am sure I can make it my way for life, then I will share. I am always trying new things and hope I can stick with this
Cali girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:50 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Catalinagal
Hmmmm....I've just started 10/7) and I must have misunderstood the rules. I always thought fasting was not eating period. On DD, I'm eating the cabbage soup and look forward to some of the other DD options. Since this is eating, not fasting, have I missed something?

I am retired, but I remember the "lunch crew", yes, they can be a nosey crowd, but it is your business and having a cup of tea or broth or whatever you choose is up to you. You could always say you had a large breakfast on those days

Last edited by Catalinagal; 10-10-2014 at 11:52 AM..
Catalinagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rabble Rouser
It's considered one of many diets called 'intermittent fasting', where you don't eat during certain time windows, or eat very little during certain time windows.

You should check out the JUDDD web site or book. It's really good info. You're potentially missing a lot.
Rabble Rouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Catalinagal
Thanks Rabble Rouser, I am familiar with IF, I just wondered how we would use fasting as a way of describing DD, since we are allowed a certain amount of calories. I appreciate your suggestions, although I have been to the JUDDD site, I have yet to get the book.
Catalinagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
Hi, Catalinagal.

Fasting is defined as either abstinence or reduction from some or all food, drink, or both, for a period of time.

I think you are talking about an "absolute fast", which is abstinence from all food (or both food and drink) for a certain period.

JUDDD does not directly address an absolute fast. Not that you can't do JUDDD and happen to eat zero calories on DDs, if it works out for you. But JUDDD would encompass whatever amount of calories a person decides for their DDs and UDs, usually by following some of Dr. Johnson's guidelines, either through the percentages on his calculator or the 500 cal DDs recommended to start in his book, or other tweaked amounts after getting some experience with the plan.
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:02 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Yes, it is the Up Day and Down Day diet where one day you eat considerable more than the other day. Some people consider the low calories of the Down Day to be a form of fasting even though you are still eating something. IF - intermittent fasting and ADF - alternate day fasting are relatively new buzz words. Dr. Johnson, Dr. Varady and Dr. Mosley have made this all quite popular.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:43 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 2muchme
WOE: HCG, then atkins, now JUDDD, then JUDDD again
Start Date: Atkins, summer 2011: JUDDD, 10/24/2011
I must have ppl at work with an incredible lack of curiosity. Before lunch today, one of my coworkers said that they were ordering from somewhere Italian. I replied, quite upbeat, that I'm dieting today. She smiled, I smiled. And that was it.

Coming from Atkins and all, I think most of my coworkers for some time now have thought that I have strange meal choices. They use to be curious, "what's on the menu for today?" but now they just smile and continue on.... We can't always eat together - just too crazy busy so I guess it's not really obvious most days. But maybe they think it's just me being crazy me!!
Old 10-11-2014, 06:56 AM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I think most people at work know that I'm doing JUDDD. In the past I probably would have been a lot more judgmental about someone else fasting than anyone has been about me.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:33 PM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 12yrslater
Stats: UGH
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Induction: 10/20/08
Personally I don't tell any one other than my immediate family (the ones I live with). Everyone else (even my sister) gets the "I'm calorie cycling and today is a low calorie day" schpeal. Works well for me. I never go into detail as to how many calories I am eating or not. That's only my business
12yrslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 2muchme
WOE: HCG, then atkins, now JUDDD, then JUDDD again
Start Date: Atkins, summer 2011: JUDDD, 10/24/2011
"Calorie cycling.." Just might work. I mean other people, not at work. But I like that. I'll have to remember. The numbers really are NOT their business!
2muchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:14 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
"Calorie cycling" is one of those amorphous phrases that really could have a variety of meanings and do not define themselves precisely at all ....... yet almost everyone who hears it assumes they should know exactly what it means. So they nod knowingly and change the subject.

I use 'calorie cycling' when I don't want to bother
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:00 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
"Calorie cycling" is one of those amorphous phrases that really could have a variety of meanings and do not define themselves precisely at all ....... yet almost everyone who hears it assumes they should know exactly what it means. So they nod knowingly and change the subject.

I use 'calorie cycling' when I don't want to bother
Seems wise. I tried out the "calorie cycling" explanation over this past weekend when a friend from out of town was visiting on my DD. But once I confessed that much, she told me that she's actually doing a version of intermittent fasting herself by only eating within an 8 hour window each day! So at that point I let more of the JUDDD details out of the bag. For me, I guess it's not so hard to be up front with friends and (some) family; it's more the interested acquaintances (e.g. lunch crew) who give me pause. Interesting to hear from others who are private about JUDDD for their own reasons.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:53 AM   #27
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Son and DH both ask "can you eat today?" lol.
When we've been out with friends on DD's, I usually just order a garden salad, no croutons or cheese, and stash walden farms dressing packets in my purse to use, or ask for vinegar on the side.
Sometimes I get a chefs salad with just turkey, no cheese or other meats.
Yeah it's not real exciting, but most "diet minded people" totally understand having a salad as a meal
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:21 AM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 12yrslater
Stats: UGH
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Induction: 10/20/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
:

My hubby and 2 kids always ask me the same thing!
12yrslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:25 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/121/119 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12yrslater View Post

My hubby and 2 kids always ask me the same thing!
Me three!
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:47 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargD View Post
Me three!
I'm starting to get a bit of that too! The fun part is, my husband sometimes engages in what he calls "solidarity" with me on DDs. So he'll skip lunch, and then maybe just have dinner. Yesterday, he had lunch, and skipped a proper dinner in favor of some cheese and a few glasses of wine . . . in "solidarity." Not sure that's proper DD protocol, but hey - support is support, right?