Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2014, 08:01 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Linda1960
Stats: 246/195/145
WOE: JUDDD/(combined with WW-type foods)
Start Date: Highest wt: 246/ Start JUDDD 8/18/2014 @ 209.8
For those having success with JUDDD?

Is there anything you could share with us on what makes the most success on JUDDD for you?

I am researching this method and would like to try it. But do you find that JUDDD works best with just regular foods, or is it better combined with low-carb foods, or better combined with Weight Watcher-type foods?

I have done all of those, and was currently following WW, but is one better than the other? I just want to do this right, and would like to start with the most successful food combinations to make it work to its best potential?

I'm sorry for asking these questions, but I guess I am having a hard time wrapping my head around all of this and believing that you can just alternate calories and have success!!!!! How exciting and yet scary (since I have never tried anything like this before). The only thing that I have ever done that is CLOSE to fasting is stick with all liquids for ONE day beause of a diverticulitis flare-up (digestive disorder)............I do have to admit that I never felt BETTER than when I just did liquids for one day.........strange as that may seem! So maybe there really IS something to this fasting method every other day.......

Anyways, please share your successes versus failures that you have found on this WOE. Did you find eating a piece or two of pizza on your UD screwed up your results? Or were you able to once in a while enjoy chicken wings on your UD? Things like that would be nice, but I am wondering if that would hinder your weightloss overall?!?!?!?

1998 - 246 lbs.-Highest weight Pre-Atkins. Lost 70 lbs on Atkins, and kept it off for years. Then gained some back (225) when I stopped doing low-carb. Did WW (225 - 209.8)/Started JUDDD 8/18/14 @ 209.8 lbs!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2014, 08:23 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
JUDDD doesn't care what you eat. The best way to have success is to know your own body. Some need to stay low carb, some need to avoid certain foods, and some (like me!) can eat anything and everything as long as it fits in their calories.

Another tip: Keep it simple. Don't overthink it. Just stay within your calories (I always advocate sticking close to BOTH UD and DD calories, but others disagree) with whatever foods make you feel best, alternate, and relax. It really is that easy.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heather
Stats: 175.8/152.6/145-150
WOE: JUDDD/Potato Hack
Start Date: Restart 6/27/14 - Loss: 23.2 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
JUDDD doesn't care what you eat. The best way to have success is to know your own body. Some need to stay low carb, some need to avoid certain foods, and some (like me!) can eat anything and everything as long as it fits in their calories.

Another tip: Keep it simple. Don't overthink it. Just stay within your calories (I always advocate sticking close to BOTH UD and DD calories, but others disagree) with whatever foods make you feel best, alternate, and relax. It really is that easy.
I dare anyone to improve on this post. Dawn stated the answer so clearly and simply. Yes, Linda - don't overthink this - it's really as simple as Dawn made it sound. It's not about doing it perfectly - you can relax on JUDDD!!! Dive in and have fun with it, and as time goes on you'll get to know what works for you personally.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Awesome! Thanks so much for the replies. It really is that simple?

So the answer is just to keep it SIMPLE! I love it! I will try not to think about the foods too much. I may try to stick with enough protein and/or fat for satiety and less cravings.

I may actually see if I can stick to the starting 500 DD calorie limit today. My calculated DD comes out to 389, but I thought I read somewhere in these posts that you should start with a DD of 500 calories for the first two weeks of induction to see how you do, and then adjust from there?!?!?!? Does that sound right?

The only thing I had today so far was a couple of cups of coffee with splenda and skim milk (approx. 25 cal) and a Greek Yogurt (100 cal). I am chugging lots of water.

Thanks again for the wonderful insight! I may give this a whirl and see how it goes!
Linda1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:57 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1960 View Post

I may actually see if I can stick to the starting 500 DD calorie limit today. My calculated DD comes out to 389, but I thought I read somewhere in these posts that you should start with a DD of 500 calories for the first two weeks of induction to see how you do, and then adjust from there?!?!?!? Does that sound right?
On most DDs the way I keep my calories low is to not start eating until later in the day. Once I start eating (except for coffee in the morning) I find it hard to stay within my calories. I do this on some UDs too as to not go over. Try it a few ways and see what works best for you.
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heather
Stats: 175.8/152.6/145-150
WOE: JUDDD/Potato Hack
Start Date: Restart 6/27/14 - Loss: 23.2 lbs
Quote:
Linda - The book "suggests" beginning with shakes for the simplicity and 500 calories to break you in slowly to low DDs. It's not a rule. I did it for a couple days and didn't like how shakes made me feel so switched to real food after a day. It's important to find a way to make your DDs enjoyable. They should get easier if you do that and many of us really enjoy the clean feeling and hightened energy of DDs. Also, in about 2 to 4 weeks, you will hopefully experience the appetite suppressent effect of the SIRT1 gene. Be patient in the beginning - it's SO WORTH IT!!!

Window of 145-150 goal: Only 2.6 lbs. to go.

Last edited by Heather; 08-14-2014 at 09:10 AM..
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:10 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:

So the answer is just to keep it SIMPLE! I love it! I will try not to think about the foods too much. I may try to stick with enough protein and/or fat for satiety and less cravings.

Yes, you can start with 500 calorie DDs and adjust from there. I agree with Kismet. It is much easier for me to keep my DD calories where they ought to be by postponing eating as long as possible. I do this many UDs as well now that I'm at goal and my calories are about 1,550 for UDs.

Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, okay! That sounds great! Again............thank you everyone for all of your support.

You are all such a great group! My stomach has been growling like crazy, but I will try to just drink water for the rest of the afternoon and save my last 375calories for dinner.

I was so hungry this morning by 9am that I had to have that yogurt. It's tough with my schedule because I am up at 4am every morning during the week and I work 12-hour days (very long days).........so by 9am, I have already been up for 5 hours.......(hence, growling stomach)!

But it does seem like eating WILL sometimes set off MORE cravings afterwards. So thank you for the suggestion of holding off with eating as long as possible. Note to self........

Thanks everyone! I hope you are all having a great day!
Old 08-14-2014, 09:22 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: VioletsGrandMom
Stats: 253/232/180
WOE: Atkins Jan2012/JUDDD since October 2012
Start Date: January12Restart5/14
Does it get any easier?

This is about my third serious restart. I have posted before that this WOE has helped my RA - I haven't had to have a biologic in almost two years. I tried to stick to MWF but I was not losing any weight. Now I am trying to do EOD rotations. Down days are still hard for me - all I do is think about food. I am also not good on out of the ordinary days - like visits to my in-laws on a DD. Once I go over 400 calories I just don't stick well. I wish I didn't love food so much!
VioletsGrandMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:37 AM   #10

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Count me in on keeping it simple. You'll find the foods that make you feel satisfied, and the ones that trigger you to want more. We all have them, and those just have to be avoided , especially on DDs. I eat anything I want (within calories) on UDs, including having a cocktail most UDs. I have done JUDDD low carb - works great. I have done JUDDD eating whatever - works great. I just have to avoid those trigger foods that get me wanting to eat more.

I also try and avoid eating much on DDs until dinnertime. I do have HWC in my coffee most mornings or at lunchtime. But if I can't stand it, a spoonful of cottage cheese or yogurt can tide me over.

Read as much as you can in all the other threads, even going back to older threads and posts. There is a goldmine of information here! Good luck!

VioletsGrandMom, I'm sorry you're having a tough time on DDs. They can be a challenge sometimes, especially until you really get adjusted to them. Hot broth can be a real help to give you something salty to sip on, and get something in your stomach. Keep trying different things, and you'll find exactly what works for you. It took me awhile to get to a sweet spot too!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Thank you LowCarbGal. I do forget about broth. I was doing tea with almond milk but it doesnt seem to help much now.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:03 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

I actually DO have another question......(so sorry)........

I looked back at my WW food journal from yesterday (I have always tracked my food daily while on weight watchers), and realized I only took in about 1400 calories (as opposed to the 1945 calories I would normally eat on an UD BEFORE doing a DD).

Is it best to START with an Up Day to prepare and nourish your body for the following Down Day..................or doesn't it matter.

I have been eating between 1200-1400 calories a day every day following my WW plan, so I wondered if I should start with an Up Day and actually EAT today to get ready for a down day.

Thank you all!
Old 08-14-2014, 10:14 AM   #13

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletsGrandMom View Post
This is about my third serious restart. I have posted before that this WOE has helped my RA - I haven't had to have a biologic in almost two years. I tried to stick to MWF but I was not losing any weight. Now I am trying to do EOD rotations. Down days are still hard for me - all I do is think about food. I am also not good on out of the ordinary days - like visits to my in-laws on a DD. Once I go over 400 calories I just don't stick well. I wish I didn't love food so much!
One question, why not allow a little higher DD's while you transition back into JUDDD. I have never ever been a fan of DD's, they never get easier for me. I tend to do a range so that if I am completely not able to function, I just have a little more....don't toss the day aside completely and move forward.

Just a thought. I am one, LIKE YOU, that DD's are TOUGH and I think always will be !
zipp2play is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:16 AM   #14

Linda - I am certainly not one to be a roll model to follow, but I can tell you the peoople here are amazing! If anyone can help people succeed, it is THIS GROUP!
Old 08-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #15

Linda, I really would recommend eating your full UD calories in preparation for your first DD. Going into a DD feeling deprived or hungry can be really tough. If you KNOW you're fully nourished and satisfied going into it, and KNOW you can have that feeling again tomorrow, it can make it easier to push through the DD. KWIM?
Old 08-14-2014, 10:53 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Okay thanks! Maybe I will wait with starting then. I will finish out the week on WW and then begin with a full-calorie Up Day to start JUDDD.

In the meantime, I may also pick up the book (probably NOT a bad idea) to really educate myself on how this all works.

Thanks for the insight! I hope to be joining all of you wonderful people on this board by next week!
Old 08-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Okay thanks! Maybe I will wait with starting then. I will finish out the week on WW and then begin with a full-calorie Up Day to start JUDDD.

In the meantime, I may also pick up the book (probably NOT a bad idea) to really educate myself on how this all works.

Thanks for the insight! I hope to be joining all of you wonderful people on this board by next week!
Great plan! I look forward to your joining us!
Old 08-14-2014, 03:38 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BirdieNell
Stats: 155/130/120
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: December 2011
Everyone else has given you great advice. I just wanted to say that you will love this group of people and this way of eating if you give it a chance. This is the most supportive, encouraging, caring group you will ever find. Ask questions, share ideas, rant and rave if need be. We're all in it together and want to help each other succeed. Good Luck, Linda!
VioletsGrandMom, we probably wouldn't be here if we didn't all love food so much! At least with Juddd you can have what you want EOD! Maybe just not all that you want!
BirdieNell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:37 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
I am one, LIKE YOU, that DD's are TOUGH and I think always will be !
me too. they never get easier. the losses are what keep/kept me going.

on down days, i eat by 3 or 4, and then i eat all protein. until that time, i keep very busy and drink lots and lots of water.

over the years, i did a LOT of overthinking, because i'm a slow loser, mostly. in the end, it was the calories that mattered.

in the beginning, i tried to hit the low number on the juddd calculator, but usually ended up happy if i got to 500. now, 500 is the lowest i go.

you will love LOVE juddd. it's the best diet on the planet.
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:53 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
My piece of advice...really really take note of how your body reacts to fasting.

As much as I would like to delay eating til later in the day on DDs, it aggravates my insomnia terribly. I have to eat breakfast early, and it has to be a high-protein/zero-to-very-low carb breakfast.

Men and women can have different hormonal reactions to fasting. Women in particular can suffer from insomnia from fasting or severe calorie restriction, which happens on DDs.

It seems to me there are 2 main strategies for DDs:
(1) fill up your belly with lots of low-cal foods--big piles of stir-"fried" veggies, big bowls of soup, big salads, shirataki noodles
(2) eat small amounts of foods that you find satisfying--usually protein and/or fat (eg: coffee with cream, eggs, small amounts of cheese or nuts, even oil straight off a spoon!).

(Or a combination of the two!)

I'm in Camp 2
My stomach doesn't actually have to BE full to FEEL full...recently I've been having a popcake with 1T peanut butter and it keeps the hunger at bay so much longer than 2-4 cups of veggies with similar calories.

(Large amounts of food can trigger reactive hypoglycemia, even if the calories and carbs are very low, making you feel hungry soon after eating. Not everyone has this problem, but observe how your body reacts to different foods.)
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:00 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Thanks to all for your suggestions and support. This is a great place to be - it's so helpful to me to be able to come here and read all about our shared successes and setbacks!Blessings to you all!
Old 08-15-2014, 03:08 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
(1) fill up your belly with lots of low-cal foods--big piles of stir-"fried" veggies, big bowls of soup, big salads, shirataki noodles
(2) eat small amounts of foods that you find satisfying--usually protein and/or fat (eg: coffee with cream, eggs, small amounts of cheese or nuts, even oil straight off a spoon!).

I'm in Camp 2
I’m in camp 2 as well. I have tiny breakfast, lunch & evening meal, and a small milky drink before bed (¼ cup of milk) so I don’t go to bed hungry.
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:32 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenericstewart View Post
me too. they never get easier. the losses are what keep/kept me going.

on down days, i eat by 3 or 4, and then i eat all protein. until that time, i keep very busy and drink lots and lots of water.

over the years, i did a LOT of overthinking, because i'm a slow loser, mostly. in the end, it was the calories that mattered.

in the beginning, i tried to hit the low number on the juddd calculator, but usually ended up happy if i got to 500. now, 500 is the lowest i go.

you will love LOVE juddd. it's the best diet on the planet.
You are I are very similar. 500c is about my lowest as well!
Old 08-15-2014, 06:33 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
My piece of advice...really really take note of how your body reacts to fasting.

As much as I would like to delay eating til later in the day on DDs, it aggravates my insomnia terribly. I have to eat breakfast early, and it has to be a high-protein/zero-to-very-low carb breakfast.

Men and women can have different hormonal reactions to fasting. Women in particular can suffer from insomnia from fasting or severe calorie restriction, which happens on DDs.

I'm in Camp 2
My stomach doesn't actually have to BE full to FEEL full...recently I've been having a popcake with 1T peanut butter and it keeps the hunger at bay so much longer than 2-4 cups of veggies with similar calories.

(Large amounts of food can trigger reactive hypoglycemia, even if the calories and carbs are very low, making you feel hungry soon after eating. Not everyone has this problem, but observe how your body reacts to different foods.)
Great tips right here!!!!!!
Old 08-15-2014, 06:03 PM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Linda!! I cannot add to all the wisdom already handed down to you, but wanted to say hi!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:16 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks everyone! I bought the book and I'm actively reading it right now.

I joined yesterday with my first UD. My UD=1945 and DD=389. I went a little over (by 55 cals) yesterday............hopefully that won't sabotage my efforts. I will keep my DDs at 500 for the first two weeks, and then drop down to 389 after that.

Today is my first DD, and it's going well. I ate a 1/2 of a Turkey Club on whole wheat toast with lettuce and tomato (no bacon), which is 250 cals. I also had skim milk in my morning coffee (about 1/4 c=20 cals).

I plan to have an Atkins shake around late afternoon/dinnertime with a salad of greens with 0 cal. Balsamic Vinegar spray. That leaves me with some leftover calories that I can have some 1% cottage cheese with 1/2 c. watermelon if I need before bedtime.

Strategy is in place; I really hope this will work for me. I'm excited to join all of you. Thanks again for all your help! I will log on frequently to let you know my progress. Thank you!
Old 08-17-2014, 02:11 PM   #27
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Welcome aboard!!!!!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote