Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 11:10 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200/140.4/140 (190/156.7/145)65yrs
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 2/1/14 @ 190)
A new question from an Old "JUDDER"! ;)

I posted this in my journal today. I thought more people might see it here? As many years as I've spent low carb, I should be able to do this!

My DH asked me yesterday what did he need to do to lose his belly. I said let me think about it. I did. This morning I told him he(we!) really needs to get off of ALL white foods & processed foods! My fat builds around my tummy, too! It runs in my family. I know what we need to do; but, not sure I'm really ready to go low carb AGAIN!

I've got all kinds of ingredients for baking/cooking low carb. I even found a new flour recipe on LCF's (thanks Ouis!!) that I've never seen before. I'm thinking if I can make some things first to replace some of the foods he loves, it might help both of us. I've also been wanting to get off of wheat products too. We did that a couple of years ago after I read Wheat Belly. It didn't seem hard then; but, now I'm finding it difficult to "want to" do it! Ya know?!

Do any of you low carb all of the time with ADF? I would love to hear from you & how you do it. I was doing low carb when I first tried JUDDD. When I saw/read that most were not doing low carb, I took the chance that it wouldn't backfire on me to go back to eating carbs. No such luck. Low carb just really works better for me & DH!! I need to quit fighting that fact! To low carb usually means counting just carbs. But, that wouldn't work for ADF, would it?

I’ve always wanted to be normal, but lately I’ve come to suspect that this is it.
Shari4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2014, 01:22 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 146/133/120
I do low carb, but I also do moderate protein, which results in higher fat. Since I don't want to make two kinds of food for DD and UD, this means that my DDs, while are right on the mark for what I should eat - isn't a lot of food. The meal I have at the end of the DD is 250 cal, 3 carbs, 19g fat and 10g protein. In the spring when I tried JUDDD with any amount of carbs, I was eating ~400-500 with ~100g carbs.
I'm finding that low-carb with JUDDD, I don't mind being hungry as much. It's annoying, but the head hunger is greatly reduced. Yesterday I actually had difficulty reaching my UD!
The only caveat is to watch your electrolytes. I'm probably going to have bouillon broth later today because I'm feeling a little woosey.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:03 AM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I'm not sure why you think that low carb doesn't work with ADF. I did JUDDD for over two years--very low carb the entire time.

I eat low carb for health and the manage my weight, but I also need to count calories--carefully. Even though I don't know to strict rotations, I have several DDs a week in maintenance.'

ADF should work with any eating plan because it's simply calorie counting.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:10 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
JUDDD is only a schedule - what you eat is your choice. As per Nancy's tagline: JUDDD just cares about calories, it doesn't care what they come from. Your body probably does.

I agree with Leo. And, the thing is, if you're following a DD then your kcal intake is so low on that day that unless you have a confounding medical or trigger issue, you're not perturbing your metabolism because any ketotic state (if that is what you want) is maintained because you're in kcal deficit.

In that case, you might need to pay attention to what you're eating on the UD, if you're restricting carbs or foodstuffs that don't agree with you, but, for a fair number of people, it should be irrelevant on DD (if there are no contraindications).

I control my migraines with a modified ketogenic protocol, so, yes, I do follow a JUDDD schedule with a restricted carb WOE.

Nov 2014 A DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:29 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
During weight loss I frequently ate LCHF (500 cal fat fasts on DD) when I felt like my body needed a reset. At that time, ADF was enough to remove visceral fat and ensure weight loss. But I like LCHF so I sometimes did it.

I have been eating LCHF since my diabetes diagnosis last December. This week life calmed down and I started rotations again (700ish calorie DDs - I want to activate SIRT1 but I don't want to lose anymore weight).

My body loves it. The scale has not changed but I lost an inch off my waist - putting me at a very healthy waist/hip ratio.

Bone broth or broth or something to stabilize electrolytes is a must unless you are into leg cramps.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/113.5/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
For me I try very hard to not have wheat! Bread was what I loved!!

Now i only eat bread when we are not at home, like when I go with DH on his job and then it is McD's, so I have the bun!

My tummy is much smaller too!

Good Luck!
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:33 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I don't do LC all the time, but I have done it and sometimes throw in a week or more of LC when I feel my body needs it.

The challenge I think you may be alluding to is that VLC foods tend to be small in volume, although higher in calories. So you're not eating a huge bowl of veggie soup, you're eating a hard boiled egg. Or instead of a large salad, you're eating a few oz of meat. Visually it can be challenging.

When I'm able to do it successfully, I just have to get into the mindset that the 1 or 2 HB eggs may not take up much space, or look that filling on a plate, but in reality they will keep me more satisfied for longer than the bowl of soup. For me it's true. So you kind of have to put the visual volume out of your thoughts.

Some of my LC DD go-to foods are:

Deli meats
Tuna
Chicken legs
Avocado
Eggs
Cream cheese
HWC

Hope this helps!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:41 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
I've been VLCHF since July 11th. I've lost 18 lbs. I feel fantastic.
There really are some of us who are very carb sensitive. I had to come to terms with the fact that I am one of them.

I feel so much better truly sticking to this WOE. More energy, less achey, better mood and I don't think about food all day long. That's a big one for me and something I was striving for.

I eat eggs every which way you can think of, bacon, HM sausage, tuna, hard cheese, meat, lots of fish, lettuce and occasionally a steamed veggie with dinner.

I also do DD's a couple times a week, mostly when I feel like it. No set days. I love the SIRT action also!

I have a terrible sweet tooth so I make desserts that are 3 carbs or less per serving, but again do this only once or twice a week.

I am so envious of those who can do JUDDD and eat whatever they want as long as they stick to their UD and DD calories. I know for a fact now that I'm not one of them.

So Shari, it takes some adjusting and mindset, but it can be really rewarding to cut out or down on carbs. The difference in the way I feel is like night and day.

"When a person has had too much to eat, fasting is the smartest thing he could do.” – Mark Sisson, Mark’s Daily Apple.

BElieve in
YOUrself!
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

You ALL are AWESOME!!!!! See? I knew I would get some really good & honest feedback here!! I think what was confusing my brain was carb counting PLUS calorie counting! I'm just trying to do something that I know works without making it something that's too difficult! But, then, sometimes the best things to do are difficult, aren't they?

kwerp, any time I can reduce head hunger, I'm all for it! And broths are a staple in my pantry!!

Leo, "I eat low carb for health and the manage my weight, but I also need to count calories--carefully." This is exactly what I needed to hear!! Keeping my carbs low shouldn't be an issue. So, counting calories won't be either. Thanks!
Old 08-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

I was not done posting!! That's what happens when your hands shake all of the time!!

SS, you're right about JUDDD being a schedule! I find it fascinating that you control your migraines with a modified ketogenic way of eating. Mine became controlled years ago when I began blood pressure meds for high BP. So, did 2 of my sons. One due to high BP, the other just for migraines.

Nancy, I'm sorry about your diagnosis. I'm afraid that is right around the corner for me. And that's another reason to low carb. You & kwerp alluded to broth & I will use that. I actually enjoy a cup at the end of the day as I'm unwinding!

leonak, doesn't eating bread set you up to crave more? I am happy for you that you can eat bread.

Carol, you always have the right thing to say! Thanks for all of your support! Since I raise chickens, eggs are a staple here & the meat!

JayLynn, this! " it takes some adjusting and mindset, but it can be really rewarding to cut out or down on carbs. The difference in the way I feel is like night and day." It's great for me to know that there are more people here doing LC than I realized!! Thanks!

Today, I will preparing my LC menus to begin next Monday. Although, I am starting to limit some carbs now. I need a plan to keep me on the up & up!!

Have a great day JB's!!
Old 08-07-2014, 10:55 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
I don't count carbs but have probably 95% eliminated things like bread, pasta, rice, sugar, etc. I stay away from white potatoes and will have a sweet potato probably once a month. If I had to count calories AND carbs I'd drive myself nuts. I think keeping the "5%" open allows some treats or social occasions but most of the time it's pretty easy to stay away from that stuff.
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
I don't count calories at all. On my DD's I pretty much have the same thing each time so I already know its well under 500. I got sick of counting so much. I know some people thrive on it or have to do it, but for me it was a PIA and its so easy thinking....hmmm carbs? nope, I can eat it.

I should also say that my portions are a lot smaller too. Eating food that works well for my body, I just don't want or need as much. This makes me happy too.
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:42 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

leonak, doesn't eating bread set you up to crave more? I am happy for you that you can eat bread!!

No, no I do not eat much bread at all!!!!! Only maybe once a week or less and then only when not at home, at home I NEVER eat bread at all.

Sorry I did not make myself clear!
Old 08-07-2014, 06:36 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heather
Stats: 175.8/152.6/145-150
WOE: JUDDD/Potato Hack
Start Date: Restart 6/27/14 - Loss: 23.2 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shari4 View Post
My DH asked me yesterday what did he need to do to lose his belly. I said let me think about it. I did. This morning I told him he(we!) really needs to get off of ALL white foods & processed foods! My fat builds around my tummy, too! It runs in my family. I know what we need to do; but, not sure I'm really ready to go low carb AGAIN!

I've also been wanting to get off of wheat products too. We did that a couple of years ago after I read Wheat Belly. It didn't seem hard then; but, now I'm finding it difficult to "want to" do it! Ya know?!
My experience on the above. I carry ALL my extra weight on my belly, hidden under flowing blouses. When I tell friends I need to lose weight, they don't agree, untill I tell them where I'm hiding it. So before JUDDD I tried various things (Dr. Oz stuff), gluten free and Wheat Belly - eliminated all wheat; then tried no dairy. NOTHING worked. Trouble was, I was still eating 1200 calories. Until I tried JUDDD which put me at a deficit at about 950 a day, did I start to lose my belly fat. Since that's the ONLY place I carry extra fat/weight, that's where I'm losing it. And ONLY because I'm now in a cal deficit. So I discovered I'm a "cal in/cal out" type - that's ALL I need - a deficit. JUDDD rotations just make that possible, because I can't eat 950 evenly every day without getting weak and irritable and then stalling. Whereas, ADF, keeps my energy high. I don't count carbs or eliminate any food groups (I eat white foods & processed foods) - but that just works for me, that part is personal to my constitution. I felt terrible on lc, got irritable, stalled, felt hungry from the low volume of food. Bottom line: If I'm eating a calorie deficit, and my belly is where I carry fat, that's where I'll lose it. It doesn't matter what TYPE of food I'm eating. So I'm just wondering if your DH has tried eating at a cal deficit, if so, did it just not work and I'm guessing he's not interested in ADF (?) When he eliminated wheat in the past, did it help him lose as long as he stuck to it (?)

Window of 145-150 goal: Only 2.6 lbs. to go.

Last edited by Heather; 08-07-2014 at 06:38 PM..
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:43 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
My experience on the above. I carry ALL my extra weight on my belly, hidden under flowing blouses. When I tell friends I need to lose weight, they don't agree, untill I tell them where I'm hiding it. So before JUDDD I tried various things (Dr. Oz stuff), gluten free and Wheat Belly - eliminated all wheat; then tried no dairy. NOTHING worked. Trouble was, I was still eating 1200 calories. Until I tried JUDDD which put me at a deficit at about 950 a day, did I start to lose my belly fat. Since that's the ONLY place I carry extra fat/weight, that's where I'm losing it. And ONLY because I'm now in a cal deficit. So I discovered I'm a "cal in/cal out" type - that's ALL I need - a deficit. JUDDD rotations just make that possible, because I can't eat 950 evenly every day without getting weak and irritable and then stalling. Whereas, ADF, keeps my energy high. I don't count carbs or eliminate any food groups (I eat white foods & processed foods) - but that just works for me, that part is personal to my constitution. I felt terrible on lc, got irritable, stalled, felt hungry from the low volume of food. Bottom line: If I'm eating a calorie deficit, and my belly is where I carry fat, that's where I'll lose it. It doesn't matter what TYPE of food I'm eating. So I'm just wondering if your DH has tried eating at a cal deficit, if so, did it just not work and I'm guessing he's not interested in ADF (?) When he eliminated wheat in the past, did it help him lose as long as he stuck to it (?)
How many calories are you eating on a DD and a UD?

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2014, 06:52 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
How many calories are you eating on a DD and a UD?

Thanks!
My calculator numbers are posted under my avi - 1637/327 which equals 982 a day. But I've been eating less than that lately, especially on DDs.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:20 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
So I'm just wondering if your DH has tried eating at a cal deficit, if so, did it just not work and I'm guessing he's not interested in ADF (?) When he eliminated wheat in the past, did it help him lose as long as he stuck to it (?)
Heather, he really likes ADF! But, the processed foods are kicking his butt! He will lose belly fat with wheat free or low carb or low fat, IF he leaves the processed foods alone. Even South Beach worked years ago. He won't count his calories. Period. So, if he counts carbs & I don't bring the processed foods in to the house, he would lose weight. In theory, he would anyway. And that would work for me too. Except, I do count calories.

I think I may have my work cut out for me! But, he just turned 68 & I'd like to have him around for a lot more years!
Old 08-08-2014, 08:11 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shari4 View Post
I think I may have my work cut out for me! But, he just turned 68 & I'd like to have him around for a lot more years!
Yes, belly fat is the worst place to carry fat for the heart (or so I've read.) That's my motive for losing. Pick up a 30 or 40 lb dumbbell at the gym and it's SO HEAVY. I think, "My body is carrying that extra weight! It's gotta go!" He's blessed to have you looking out for his best interests.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:22 AM   #19
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Shari-
The only thing I count religiously is calories--but that's because I've been eating very low carb for so long that I can estimate a day's carbs in advance easily.

I've been watching carbs and calories for so long that it's automatic--just like brushing my teeth or driving the car--something I do daily that takes no real effort at all.

I think what keeps me focused is that it is so automatic that it's now my 'normal' WOE.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Shari-
The only thing I count religiously is calories--but that's because I've been eating very low carb for so long that I can estimate a day's carbs in advance easily.

I've been watching carbs and calories for so long that it's automatic--just like brushing my teeth or driving the car--something I do daily that takes no real effort at all.

I think what keeps me focused is that it is so automatic that it's now my 'normal' WOE.
Leo, this is exactly what I want to accomplish!! Even tho I have a great knowledge of low carb & the foods we need to eat, I've been pouring over my low carb books for menu ideas. In the beginning, repetition will be the key. It's a good thing that we both love bacon & eggs!!
Old 08-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
I watch my carbs, but they're still pretty high, 100-150 on UDs. I guess this is still a lot less than the SAD. I eat fruits, mostly berries, but I need to leave other sweets, plus bread and potatoes alone as I just crave more when I indulge. Glad you started this thread...very interesting!
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:23 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Shirl! For my DH, even 100-150 carbs a day would be an improvement!
But, I'm not sure either of us would lose any belly fat with that. It's the pits to be that carb sensitive!! But, we are! Thanks for sharing what you do! I'm open to all suggestions.