Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2014, 09:57 AM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beadelia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I love your cat's name - that is too cute! That is so scary when you drop a pill (or a grape with doggies) and have to make a dive to beat them to it. Talk about an adrenaline rush!

As you probably figured out in a hurry, I'm a big fan of silver-haired singer Emmylou Harris, whom I admire both for her extraordinary abilities as a singer and songwriter and for her efforts on behalf of homeless animals. She even turned her back yard in Nashville into a refuge for dogs who have run out of time at the local animal shelter and are about to be euthanized. She has rescued and found homes for many such dogs over the years. Since I'm a such a music junkie and my kitty is a silver tabby Maine coon, well, what else would I name her?

I didn't know that grapes and raisins could be toxic to dogs, but after reading your post I Googled it. YIKES! The article didn't say whether they were also toxic to cats, but if I dropped a grape Emmylou would just treat it like a soccer ball, the way she did the cherry tomato I finally found under the TV stand, so no problem there.
Beadelia is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #122
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadelia View Post
As you probably figured out in a hurry, I'm a big fan of silver-haired singer Emmylou Harris, whom I admire both for her extraordinary abilities as a singer and songwriter and for her efforts on behalf of homeless animals. She even turned her back yard in Nashville into a refuge for dogs who have run out of time at the local animal shelter and are about to be euthanized. She has rescued and found homes for many such dogs over the years. Since I'm a such a music junkie and my kitty is a silver tabby Maine coon, well, what else would I name her?

I didn't know that grapes and raisins could be toxic to dogs, but after reading your post I Googled it. YIKES! The article didn't say whether they were also toxic to cats, but if I dropped a grape Emmylou would just treat it like a soccer ball, the way she did the cherry tomato I finally found under the TV stand, so no problem there.
Yes, she's a hero in the dog rescue world. I'd just love to do something like that someday. I guess I'd better start saving to buy me some land!

The grape thing is scary. I never knew that until a few years ago. Both of my dogs liked grapes and snacked on them occasionally. My childhood dog wouldn't eat them unless we peeled them for her, which I did (I'm not sure why I did that) so I wonder if the toxin is in the peels. I've also read that not all dogs have this acute reaction, but it's not worth finding out once you know!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:26 PM   #123
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
DaisyDebs:! So glad you joined us!

All: So, my scale is up 2 pounds this morning. I'm bummed, but I deserve it. I have been craving carbs every day. And, every day I'm not going to give in, but then I do. That is stopping today! I at least have to get those 2 pounds back off and feel less bloated before I fly to Pennsylvania on Tuesday! My sister and I have been calling each other a lot to encourage weight loss. She is down 20 and I was down 21. Can't wait to see her.

Quote:
Yam-Yam, thank you for the update. Yes, you mentioned the doctor's appointment and that you'd bring us up to date when you could, and then you fell silent leaving us to imagine the worst, so it's a relief to hear from you. This still sounds pretty scary, especially that "would have died" part, and you know that you remain in our prayers. (We need a "worried" smiley. Also a "yikes!" smiley.)

I'm glad you're back on the internet again, but probably not as glad as you are! We sure have come to depend on it, haven't we? Social contacts, news, recipes, bank statements, medical information (though sometimes I scare myself checking out symptoms!), TV listings, diet information, calorie counts, music, old movies, book buying, finding the peanut butter I love but can't get here, you name it. Since moving to the tornado belt I check the weather frequently, especially if things look a little unstable, just to make sure we're not about to be vacuumed up. But my favorite thing right now is watching the jillions of crochet videos on YouTube. I'm taking lessons at JoAnn Fabrics, but I'm a slow learner and have a memory like a steel sieve, and unfortunately the how-to-crochet-for-beginners books seem to be written for people who already know what they're doing. YouTube has all the stitches, basic and fancy, demonstrated, some in slow motion. And whatever project we're doing in class, YouTube has a video of something very similar.

Anyway, welcome back to the cyber community, and here's wishing you a safe trip and a blessed visit with your family. I'm so sorry for the circumstances, so my prayers go with you for this visit, too.
.....And...big time shopping!! since I became a Prime member on Amazon, I get a lot of stuff there. My zip n steam bags are cheaper than in the grocery store. Clorax refills for the cleaning wand, same. Vitamins. Refills for my Swiffer are cheaper. It's here in one or two days. No shipping charge and I don't have to drive anywhere or go from store to store looking for something! I now do most of my Christmas and birthday shopping on line and have for years. It's soooooooo great!

Sorry if I scared you by dropping off the Net. It was really dumb because after all the hassle of going and getting a new modem and waiting all those days for the service technician to come and replace our cable, it turned out the fault was with Comcast and not our modem! They said they were re-doing filters in our area and accidentally knocked out our whole area from service but didn't realize it 'til they started getting lots of calls. Dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Anyone know why I just has a 3rd slice of toast, marmite and marmalade? I am definitely not pregnant.
Yes. This is going around. I don't know what the heck is wrong with me and the carb cravings this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Omg, I just had all of my day's calories for breakfast. Minus about 500. I feel sick. I was so hungry I ate two sausage biscuits and a small cafe mocha.
I know, right?? But JUDDD will help all of us get back to normal. We all need a blowout every now and then. You know what to do and you will do it. We all will.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #124
Blabbermouth!!!

Birdie: So glad to read your update. Still

Katie: Thanks for your concern for me. I was not super specific but I'll try to add a little more here to clarify.

I had a lot of pain in my lower pelvic area for several days. Then on July 3rd in the afternoon I had explosive pain, a hot rush like I was being burned at the stake (I ripped off all my clothes), and I came very close to fainting.

DH drove me to a local doctor who examined me and wanted to call an ambulance because he was so concerned. He sent me right to the emergency room, said DH could drive me if we didn't make any stops.

They immediately did a CT scan, did blood tests, put me first on a morphine drip for pain and then really scared me because the first 2 doctors on my "team" of 4 docs said they were prepping me for emergency surgery.

My white blood cell count was high. And, they said that explosive pain was one of my internal organs becoming perforated.

Here is a cautionary tale: If you take Aleve, Advil, Naproxen, Vicoden, or any Ibuprofen for pain management, stop.

I injured my back 10 years ago. Under the care of my primary doctor, I was prescribed Vicoden and Naproxen as well as skelaxton for the pain. I stopped taking Vicoden 3 years ago because I started throwing up after taking it. But I continued big time with the Naproxen and found it would quickly knock down any kind of pain. Sore throat? Take 2. Back pain? take 2 every time it got unbearable. Pelvic pain? That week I had been taking up to 6 per day.

The bottle says don't take more than 4 in a 24 hour period, but my doc had told me that when the pain is just about paralyzing in my back, I could take more.

Ever listen to the Celebrex commercial? (You know, a body in motion stays in motion...? ring a bell?) I never really listened to the side effects they list before. Recently it caught my ear. "Meds like Celebrex, Naproxen, etc... cause..."

Well, three doctors have now confirmed the years of Vicoden and Naproxen caused weakening in the walls of some of my organs. Then one became inflamed and ruptured.

The reason they pumped me full of antibiotics in the hospital and sent me home with 2 prescriptions for more antibiotics (Finally got to leave the hospital on July 6th) was their fear of infection resulting in sepsis and/or peritonitis.

Thankfully the surgeon, my 4th team doctor, felt that since I've never had anything like this before and he felt the perforation was not huge, there was a possibility I could heal with treatment (and of course never, ever taking those pain meds again. Not even an aspirin for me anymore and not Tylenol either).

Sorry this is so long!

After 8 weeks of restricted activity, the doc has to look inside to see how bad the damage is and if it has healed properly. He feels it will as I'm very healthy otherwise.

Kati, I hope you are not sorry you asked!!! It's kind of personal and gory but I'm alive and my new primary doctor said if I had just stayed home, took a couple more pain pills and went to bed, I most probably could have gone to heaven that night. That is a-skeeeeeeery thought.

My brother died about 24 hours after he got sepsis. He was already in the hospital being treated for pneumonia when he got it. It's a serious blood infection. He was only 63 years old. I'm 60. So you see why I was doubly shocked.

OK!!! I gotta be done! Page Hog signing out now!

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 08-09-2014 at 01:01 PM..
Old 08-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #125

Wow Yam. Those specifics are so scary! I used to take Ibuprofen 800mg for bad headaches and bad cramps. I still get a new Rx every year just to have on hand, but the last few years I can count on one hand the number of times I've resorted to them. I'm so glad I've already stopped that! And honestly, I think JUDDD has reduced my headaches and cramps to those manageable levels. So one more YAY for JUDDD.

I sure hope you won't need any surgery and are healing up real good! Thanks for sharing it all with us.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:37 PM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BirdieNell
Stats: 155/130/120
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: December 2011
Oh my, Yam, that is just too scary to think about! So glad you found out in time and know not to take any more of those meds. I hope you are healing well and won't have any more problems. Enjoy your trip and make good memories with your loved ones.
BirdieNell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:39 PM   #127
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Yam- OMG!!!! I'm officially nervous. I wear a 50 mcg Fentanyl patch, take 15 mg of Meloxicam, 1500 mg of Roboxin, Tylenol PM every night and take Lortab 10/500 PRN.

My poor organs and

I am so glad you are recovering!!!! I have had bad cramps this last month even when I wasn't having TOM.

You know what I did... take more pills...
If I get the cramps again now that TOM is totally over I will go the to OB/GYN.

Hi everyone. It took me a while to get caught up, but now I'm getting ready to go out and walk around the park. I'm trying to enjoy every bit of the summer while it's here.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:16 PM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Birdie: So glad to read your update. Still

Katie: Thanks for your concern for me. I was not super specific but I'll try to add a little more here to clarify.

I had a lot of pain in my lower pelvic area for several days. Then on July 3rd in the afternoon I had explosive pain, a hot rush like I was being burned at the stake (I ripped off all my clothes), and I came very close to fainting.

DH drove me to a local doctor who examined me and wanted to call an ambulance because he was so concerned. He sent me right to the emergency room, said DH could drive me if we didn't make any stops.

They immediately did a CT scan, did blood tests, put me first on a morphine drip for pain and then really scared me because the first 2 doctors on my "team" of 4 docs said they were prepping me for emergency surgery.

My white blood cell count was high. And, they said that explosive pain was one of my internal organs becoming perforated.

Here is a cautionary tale: If you take Aleve, Advil, Naproxen, Vicoden, or any Ibuprofen for pain management, stop.

I injured my back 10 years ago. Under the care of my primary doctor, I was prescribed Vicoden and Naproxen as well as skelaxton for the pain. I stopped taking Vicoden 3 years ago because I started throwing up after taking it. But I continued big time with the Naproxen and found it would quickly knock down any kind of pain. Sore throat? Take 2. Back pain? take 2 every time it got unbearable. Pelvic pain? That week I had been taking up to 6 per day.

The bottle says don't take more than 4 in a 24 hour period, but my doc had told me that when the pain is just about paralyzing in my back, I could take more.

Ever listen to the Celebrex commercial? (You know, a body in motion stays in motion...? ring a bell?) I never really listened to the side effects they list before. Recently it caught my ear. "Meds like Celebrex, Naproxen, etc... cause..."

Well, three doctors have now confirmed the years of Vicoden and Naproxen caused weakening in the walls of some of my organs. Then one became inflamed and ruptured.

The reason they pumped me full of antibiotics in the hospital and sent me home with 2 prescriptions for more antibiotics (Finally got to leave the hospital on July 6th) was their fear of infection resulting in sepsis and/or peritonitis.

Thankfully the surgeon, my 4th team doctor, felt that since I've never had anything like this before and he felt the perforation was not huge, there was a possibility I could heal with treatment (and of course never, ever taking those pain meds again. Not even an aspirin for me anymore and not Tylenol either).

Sorry this is so long!

After 8 weeks of restricted activity, the doc has to look inside to see how bad the damage is and if it has healed properly. He feels it will as I'm very healthy otherwise.

Kati, I hope you are not sorry you asked!!! It's kind of personal and gory but I'm alive and my new primary doctor said if I had just stayed home, took a couple more pain pills and went to bed, I most probably could have gone to heaven that night. That is a-skeeeeeeery thought.

My brother died about 24 hours after he got sepsis. He was already in the hospital being treated for pneumonia when he got it. It's a serious blood infection. He was only 63 years old. I'm 60. So you see why I was doubly shocked.

OK!!! I gotta be done! Page Hog signing out now!
Holy smokes, Yam-Yam -- that is one scary story! Any wayyyy too close a call. We're all very glad you're still here, but sorry about what happened to your brother. But if you can't even take aspirin or Tylenol, what do you do for that miserable back? I thought Tylenol was supposed to be gentle on the innards, though they warn you about liver problems if you overdo it. We lost a dear friend and neighbor to liver failure after her doctor prescribed very high doses of Tylenol for a severe back problem.

I wonder if this would have happened to you if you had taken the same drugs in lower the lower doses the manufacturers recommend. We'll probably never know.

Well, it's a warning to the rest of us, for sure. I recently started taking Aleve part of the time for arthritis because I was afraid I was overdoing the Tylenol and hate to take hydrocodone because it, er, has the same effect as eating cheese. (Arthur still gives me a bad time if we get a weather change or I eat sugar). I was pleased with its long-lasting effectiveness, but have noticed some discomfort at times with it and with Advil. Maybe this is one "gut feeling" I'd better listen to? It might be better just to hurt.

Best wishes for a total recovery and no surgery. Have a good trip, and may this time with your loved ones be a blessing to all of you.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:52 PM   #129

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
for Yam. What an experience. It almost makes me glad that I'm a non-responder to most medications, so I just don't take them very often.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #130
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Scary story, Yam! I'm so glad it was caught in time, and that is a warning we all need to hear. I take ibuprofen more often than I should (about 2 a day sometimes), and it could have had something to do with the terrible stomach pain I experienced about a year ago. Those "safe" meds we all take can have some serious consequences!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:14 AM   #131
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Good grief, Yam - what a salutary experience. Chiming in to say that I hope this responds to medical management without an invasive intervention.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:56 AM   #132
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Trying the multiquote thing for the first time - and I've been a JB for nearly 2 years. Slow learner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Does the cat have the cuteness, charisma, voice and laugh of Antonio Banderas (Puss in Boots from the Shrek films)?
He certainly thinks he does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Anyone know why I just has a 3rd slice of toast, marmite and marmalade? I am definitely not pregnant.
Because it's YUMMY!
Good luck with the freezer situation. What a disappointment for you.
I wouldn't have thought of refreezing the stuff. Genius!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Oh, do teach her! I treasure my memories of snuggling up next to my grandma as she taught me to crochet and piece patchwork, and then later when we just sat side by side working our projects. She'll love it!

That cat sounds devious! Mrrrrowwwwwrrrrr!
He's too in-your-face to be devious.

Quote:
Flossyliz, Emmylou Hairiest occasionally makes a grab for my tea, but she can be wild enough without a load of caffeine!

Have fun teaching your GD to crochet! She sounds like she's ready for it. Deborah Burger, the author of Crochet 101 (the best of the how-to books in my opinion) has a whole series of videos on YouTube.
I'll look them up. Thanks for the info.
He didn't have any coffee. I think he could smell the cream. He's never done it before.
However, he's a pain if you're eating ice cream! (correction - trying to eat ice cream!)
I love the name of your cat!

I'll definitely do the crochet thing. Thanks for all the encouragement Carol and Beadelia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieNell View Post
Good news to report...my nephew got moved to Dallas yesterday. Now he is only an hours drive from home. He is in a good rehab facility affiliated with one of the largest hospitals. He should get excellent care and hopefully begin to make progress. My brother and his wife will take turns staying with him. Their youngest will leave for her first year of college in a week or so. So glad they got home to spend some time with her before she goes. Thank you all, again, for keeping him in your thoughts and prayers.
That's wonderful news!

DaisyDebs

Wow Yam. That was a scary headsup!
I hope your body is healing itself really well now.

Lisa, glad you managed to sleep yourself better. Congratulations on your new office.

Carly, the best thing I ever found for menstrual cramps was marjoram essential oil. (Marjoram oil is an anti-spasmodic.)
I'd mix a few drops into some handcream (or similar) and massage over my abdomen. A lovely warm glow would ensue and the cramps just melted away.
Quick, easy and non-toxic.

Last edited by Flossyliz; 08-10-2014 at 06:58 AM..
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:57 AM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: olehcat
Stats: 163/157/120
WOE: juddd/4:3
Start Date: November 2, 2014
My goodness, yam, how completely scary!!!!! I'm glad you came out all right! Thank you for sharing your experience. I used to have cramps and pms so bad that I had to take tons and tons of ibuprofen every month. I'm glad I'm not having to do that anymore (because I'm on medication that stops my period for the most part).

Okay, so I'm on a DD for real. I'm starting rotations today and nothing is going to stop me. Nothing. I CAN do this. My weight started inching upward this past week because I was just over the top crazy with eating. Also haven't walked/ exercised nearly enough lately. It's really too hard on a day off to go all morning without eating anything, so I did have a 200 calorie breakfast. Now am planning to make a vegetable soup or big salad that I can just munch on throughout the rest of the day as needed. If M. wants to go out for lunch, I'll just order a side salad with dressing on the side or something. That's my strategy for today!
olehcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:45 AM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Hi,

I'm sitting in a cute cafe in Croatia with internet. I just read August's posts. Can't comment on them, but am sending hugs to everyone.

I'm having a great time, but it definitely isn't JUDDD! We have 2 more weeks before I am back in my own kitchen. At least I know I can get back to the proper way of eating when I get home.

Hope you are getting better each day, Yam Yam

Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:29 AM   #135
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Sounds like a good plan oleh!

Hi Sea! I hope you are enjoying your holiday, and JUDDD will be ready when you are. As you well know.

I just came back from my walk with the dogs and having a coffee now. I only did two DDs this week, but probably won't do one today. I want to get back into 3 or more a week, and tomorrow starts my regular hours at work. No more Friday's off. I'm going to take advantage of it by getting my diet in order.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:46 AM   #136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
In the space of an hour, we've had electrical storms, glowering skies with prolonged hailstones, and now, we're the picture postcard idyll of a sunny Summer's day.

Lots and lots of rain so far...
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:41 AM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
Oh Yam, I knew you'd been through hell and back but knowing more detail really is scary. Thank heavens you came through that and know what caused it and can reverse the damage.

You mentioned the Celebrex and other commercials on TV. I wish like crazy it was against the law to have these drug commercials in the media. They make everything seem so nice and lovely if you just take a stupid drug. OUr bodies are amazing machines and can often heal themselves if you help them.
I just read the side effects for Celebrex, the commercial you mentioned. Scary stuff! I worked in health care administration for years and years and saw the priority in the medical field....$$$$$!!!!

Enjoy your trip to visit your family and please! take good care of you!

"When a person has had too much to eat, fasting is the smartest thing he could do.” – Mark Sisson, Mark’s Daily Apple.

BElieve in
YOUrself!

Last edited by JayLynn; 08-10-2014 at 09:51 AM..
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 46 pounds down, 102 more to lose.
WOE: JUDD induc.UD 4/10/14 LC'ish, Calorie awareness
Start Date: March 16th 2014
Yam-yam, I am not sorry at all that I asked! WOW. Thank G-d you are allright. But, What are you going to take for pain now? Or are you relocating to Denver? (haha. Medical marijuana cards)
Partyof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 46 pounds down, 102 more to lose.
WOE: JUDD induc.UD 4/10/14 LC'ish, Calorie awareness
Start Date: March 16th 2014
I had a great visit with the family! My Mom was sweet as could be - everything went great! Just taking a break in between cleaning rooms in the house. Love to you all.
Partyof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #140
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyof7 View Post
Yam-yam, I am not sorry at all that I asked! WOW. Thank G-d you are allright. But, What are you going to take for pain now? Or are you relocating to Denver? (haha. Medical marijuana cards)

Quote:
I had a great visit with the family! My Mom was sweet as could be - everything went great! Just taking a break in between cleaning rooms in the house. Love to you all.
Sounds lovely! So glad it went great and you enjoyed time w/ your Mama.

Seabreezes: So great to hear from you! Have a blast and yes, JUDDD will be there to get you back in a good eating routine when you are in your own kitchen. What a great plan. Go on holiday. Have a blast. Relax. Come home. No guilt. Back to JUDDD!
Old 08-11-2014, 07:29 AM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
Happy Monday! Just saying hi for now. I'm swamped with computer stuff to do at work so I will pop in later!
Kismet311 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:16 AM   #142
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 170+/157/130
Start Date: July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLynn View Post
You mentioned the Celebrex and other commercials on TV. I wish like crazy it was against the law to have these drug commercials in the media. They make everything seem so nice and lovely if you just take a stupid drug. OUr bodies are amazing machines and can often heal themselves if you help them.
I just read the side effects for Celebrex, the commercial you mentioned. Scary stuff! I worked in health care administration for years and years and saw the priority in the medical field....$$$$$!!!!
I don't remember the study exactly, but some researchers discovered that some doctors can be more likely to write a script for a certain med when they are holding a pen with, say, Celebrex on it. So instead of recommending maybe Aleve or stretching or whatever they would recommend, the Dr may write a script for Celebrex that the patient may not really need.
sugarfreepopsicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:26 AM   #143

Party, Yam's in California. We have access to what I call "Green Cards."

Today is already off to a rocky start. Keira got up at 4:30 this morning with a fever and very sore throat. Tonsils are swollen, but no white spots. Today is her last field trip with her summer day care program and she REALLY wants to go. I gave her some Ibuprofen and sent her back to bed. She's hoping to be well when she wakes up, but I told her not to count on it.

DH wasn't up yet when it was time for me to leave for work, so I left him a note and told him to call me if I need to come home and stay with her (not sure what his schedule is like today). So I got to work and my coworker called out sick. Many of our other employees are out this week on projects, so it's just me and a programmer here today. Ugh. If DH calls, I'm not going to be able to leave. The programmer offered to cover lunch if I want to get something, which was nice of him, but he's not set up to handle walk-in clients, so I don't think I'll take him up on it.

Happy Monday, all! That was a bit facetious.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
Old 08-11-2014, 08:26 AM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bada_bing
Stats: 157.6/147.2/135
WOE: LC and JUDD
Start Date: Restart May 20/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
Hi,

I'm sitting in a cute cafe in Croatia with internet. I just read August's posts. Can't comment on them, but am sending hugs to everyone.

I would love to visit Croatia. DS has visited those countries and had amazing pictures and stories about them. Unfortunately (or fortunately perhaps), since DS and DIL and my grandchild moved to Australia, our trips now involve going to the South Pacific. It is costly but I must see my Grandbabies before they are able to fly themselves... Skype just doesn't do it. Glad you are having a great time and JUDD will be here when you return.

Quote:
Good one Katie.

And Yam Yam, thank you for telling us your story! It is very educational and absolutely nothing to be embarassed about. I initially thought it was "private stuff" and that you weren't going to tell us but wow, you have opened my eyes with your story. I don't take meds, however, I do take the occasional ibuprofen for my arthritis in my thumbs and right now I am dealing with a trigger thumb also. But I sure am going to be mindful of NSAIDS now! Thank you!

Having lunch with old co-workers (they aren't old, just workers I used to work with) and I have decided that today I will have won ton soup. I already journalized it, checked out calories and am quite excited to be back on track and am aiming for a good DD. Maintaining is okay but not when you haven't reached goal.

Donna
Bada_bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BirdieNell
Stats: 155/130/120
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: December 2011
News about my nephew: My daughter, mom, and I visited my nephew yesterday. He looks much better than he did when I saw him in El Paso. His color is good and the swelling has gone down. He was tracking movement in the room with his eye and moved his mouth as if he were trying to talk. He seemed to make a little smile when his uncle came in and spoke to him. He still has a very long way to go, but it was encouraging to see him looking better and more responsive. We are so thankful that they have gotten him moved so we can go check on all of them. My brother and his wife have aged 10 years in this past month.
BirdieNell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:26 AM   #146
Senior LCF Member

Bada_Bing, have you tried Blue-Emu? I also have arthritis in my thumbs (etc. etc. etc.), which is exacerbated by the crochet I enjoy so much. I was dubious about the Blue-Emu ads, but when a friend who has a lot of arthritis bragged about it, I tried it and now I'd hate to be without it. You apply it about 3 times a day for two weeks, and then as needed, so it must sort of build up. It also seems to help with muscle aches.

My sister has also gotten great relief from it, even in her knee (which needs to be replaced) and her back, which is a real mess but unfortunately you can't replace those. I understand it works better for some people than for others, but am grateful to be among the ones for whom it works. It's a little expensive, but you could paint a room with a finger full, so a small jar lasts a long time. I found it at the nearest drug store.

Blue-Emu is wonderful for my face, too. It takes care of the flaky skin I sometimes have, and does not leave a greasy residue. Check out WebMD's review of emu oil for other uses. I may try to find some pure emu oil and try it for the internal uses they mention.

KeirasMom, how is DD doing? I hope she got to go on her field trip, and that whatever was causing the problem, you don't catch it! It sounds like you're sort of caught in the middle today.

Yam-Yam, would it be all right for me to copy your story about your illness and paste it into an email to my sister? She has been taking Celebrex and other "stuff" for years because of a very bad back, a combination of scoliosis and severe arthritis (her doctor once told her to come back when it got to where she'd rather die than live like this and they'd put a metal rod in her spine), and I'm very worried about it. I've even wondered if the years of Celebrex might have triggered the autoimmune disease that resulted in her needing a liver transplant. Anyway, I imagine I'm not the only one who has a loved one who uses these meds heavily, and if you don't mind serving as an "awful warning" it might help someone at least recognize that when you take these drugs, you need to pay attention to pains in your middle.

Party, glad the visit went well.

Sugarfree, that was interesting about doctors being more likely to write prescriptions for a drug if holding a pen with the drug's name on it. No wonder the drug companies give out pens and notepads. I have heard that doctors will often write a prescription for a certain drug because the patient demands the one he saw advertised on TV, even if he doesn't really need it or another would be better, because the doctor knows the patient will go elsewhere if he doesn't get what he wants. Doctors also get a lot of their "continuing medical education" from brochures sent by pharmaceutical companies, which is not a good thing. Companies producing things like statins aren't likely to emphasize the negative features of their product!

Well, I've procrastinated until after ten ayem, and the kitchen still hasn't cleaned itself, so I guess I'm going to have to get off my bumpus and go do it. Y'all have a good one.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:29 AM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
News about my nephew: My daughter, mom, and I visited my nephew yesterday. He looks much better than he did when I saw him in El Paso. His color is good and the swelling has gone down. He was tracking movement in the room with his eye and moved his mouth as if he were trying to talk. He seemed to make a little smile when his uncle came in and spoke to him. He still has a very long way to go, but it was encouraging to see him looking better and more responsive. We are so thankful that they have gotten him moved so we can go check on all of them. My brother and his wife have aged 10 years in this past month.

Birdie, thank you for the happy news! That is so encouraging! Prayers continue for your nephew and all your family.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:15 AM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarfreepopsicles View Post
I don't remember the study exactly, but some researchers discovered that some doctors can be more likely to write a script for a certain med when they are holding a pen with, say, Celebrex on it. So instead of recommending maybe Aleve or stretching or whatever they would recommend, the Dr may write a script for Celebrex that the patient may not really need.
I have no doubt stuff like this goes on all the time. I had to deal with a lot of medical reports and records and the conclusions some doctors would come up with just blew me away. One thing that comes to mind is how freely they referred for MRI's..do you know how much an MRI costs? When I found out one radiology clinic gave kickbacks to the referring doctors, I went ballistic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Party, Yam's in California. We have access to what I call "Green Cards."

Today is already off to a rocky start. Keira got up at 4:30 this morning with a fever and very sore throat. Tonsils are swollen, but no white spots. Today is her last field trip with her summer day care program and she REALLY wants to go. I gave her some Ibuprofen and sent her back to bed. She's hoping to be well when she wakes up, but I told her not to count on it.

DH wasn't up yet when it was time for me to leave for work, so I left him a note and told him to call me if I need to come home and stay with her (not sure what his schedule is like today). So I got to work and my coworker called out sick. Many of our other employees are out this week on projects, so it's just me and a programmer here today. Ugh. If DH calls, I'm not going to be able to leave. The programmer offered to cover lunch if I want to get something, which was nice of him, but he's not set up to handle walk-in clients, so I don't think I'll take him up on it.

Happy Monday, all! That was a bit facetious.
Oh I hope Keira got to go on her field trip but sounds like the poor baby is down and out for the day. And you have to hold the fort down at work. When it rains, it pours, huh??

Quote:
WONderful news, Birdie! It will be such a slow road back but sounds like he is going to be well again. How nice you get to see him now and see his progress for yourselves. Hugs and good wishes to you and your family continue!
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #149

So many posts, I can't keep up! But I did want to tell you BirdieNell, how great it is to hear of the improvements in your nephew! Very encouraging!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 08-11-2014, 12:32 PM   #150

Oh, Birdie, that's FANTASTIC news!

Keira was doing better this morning. DH said she didn't have a fever and her throat felt better (if she was being honest, ha!), so he let her go to daycare for her field trip. He's available if she gets worse and gets a call to come pick her up. I just hope she's not contagious and doesn't get the other kids sick.