Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2014, 08:57 PM   #331
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 2/16/2013
JD and Ms. Andi, welcome back!

Kissa, hugs to you.

Cindy, so glad to hear that your brother is doing well.

Carly, I've got my fingers and toes crossed for you.

Crazy, crazy time here. Office mayhem going on and once my computer is moved I will finally, finally be in my own office. Looooong story on why that process took so long. Not really. Just colleagues who act like children. Getting ready for vacation which starts Wednesday at 4:30 then I will have 10 days of freedom. I cannot wait!
LiLi914 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2014, 10:00 PM   #332
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beadelia
Librarygirl, good news about your brother!

Carly, let us know as soon as you do, won't you? We'll either rejoice with you or share your disappointment, but we're here for you.
Beadelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:19 AM   #333
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
jdforshort, MrsAndi, Kissa - I'm so thrilled that you've slipped back through to the JUDDD campfire to join your JBs around the hearth: we know that life pulls people away but it's always so reassuring to learn that people are OK and ready to share their companionship again.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:43 AM   #334
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm seeing the consultant surgeon today about the proposed surgery on my knees and shoulders. Afterwards, we're attending an exhibition (DH took the day off as well) and looking forward to a lobster dinner tonight.

and best wishes - I can't say enough how pleased that I am to see some of our JBs return here.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:03 AM   #335
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 146/133/120
Good luck with the surgeon today Slowsure. I'm jealous of that lobster dinner!!
kwerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:23 AM   #336
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beadelia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
I'm seeing the consultant surgeon today about the proposed surgery on my knees and shoulders. Afterwards, we're attending an exhibition (DH took the day off as well) and looking forward to a lobster dinner tonight.

and best wishes - I can't say enough how pleased that I am to see some of our JBs return here.

Let us know what you find out. Mercy, you must hurt all over! Well, maybe they can get you all fixed up over the winter, and you can be back in your kayak next summer, repaired and feeling great. That is what we'll pray for, anyway.

Sounds like you have a wonderful day planned. Except for the surgeon, of course. Enjoy.
Beadelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:24 AM   #337
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
Quote:
Good luck!
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:06 AM   #338
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Hope you get some good news from the surgeon, Sure. Enjoy your lobster dinner!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:58 AM   #339
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: newtothis52
Stats: 237/232 /150
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: 9/25/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I wonder about JBs when they go missing. I don't think I could list, by name, all the buds that have disappeared since I've been a part of this community.
THANK YOU!!!! for adding your picture. I've been lurking for a few weeks. I have finally started JUDDD!!!! I'm on my first DD and am doing okay so far. I know the day is young. I'm doing the 500 Calories on my DD's. I'm also going to the library today at lunch to get the book so I know what I'm doing.

My history:
I have been on a diet since 9th grade and Have always had to watch what I eat. Weight Watchers lifetime by 12th grade. Lost 100 pounds in 2003 on 72 Akins. 75 have come back... I really love what I'm reading about JUDDD. I can do anything for a day! I started back on Atkins last week, but it's just not clicking. So I'm all in!
newtothis52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:16 AM   #340
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothis52 View Post
THANK YOU!!!! for adding your picture. I've been lurking for a few weeks. I have finally started JUDDD!!!! I'm on my first DD and am doing okay so far. I know the day is young. I'm doing the 500 Calories on my DD's. I'm also going to the library today at lunch to get the book so I know what I'm doing.

My history:
I have been on a diet since 9th grade and Have always had to watch what I eat. Weight Watchers lifetime by 12th grade. Lost 100 pounds in 2003 on 72 Akins. 75 have come back... I really love what I'm reading about JUDDD. I can do anything for a day! I started back on Atkins last week, but it's just not clicking. So I'm all in!
Sounds like you are off to a great start! Get 2 weeks of good DDs in and you will be sailing, on your way! This is the greatest place for support ever!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #341
Junior LCF Member

Leaving now to go get the book!
Today's Menu:
EAS Shake 110 Calories
Light Beef Pot Roast Soup (progresso) 1 CUP 80 Calories
27 Special K crackers 110 Calories
Giant Salad with 0 calorie dressing. (I will add stuff to get up to 500)
Old 08-26-2014, 10:23 AM   #342
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

Leaving now to go get the book!
Today's Menu:
EAS Shake 110 Calories
Light Beef Pot Roast Soup (progresso) 1 CUP 80 Calories
27 Special K crackers 110 Calories
Giant Salad with 0 calorie dressing. (I will add stuff to get up to 500)
The book is good motivation! I especially like the chapter about the Rescue Gene, SIRT1. Kinda sounds like JUDDD magic. Enjoy! Then come back and give us a book report!!
Old 08-26-2014, 10:28 AM   #343
Blabbermouth!!!

Yay!! Just got a call from DD. She is going to bring the kids over and stay at our house while we are gone. We have a pool, patio, BBQ grill and big yard. So, they feel like they are on vacation when they stay here.

They don't live too far away, but she will have a bit of a longer drive to take the kids to and from school. I have a "bunk bed" room for the kids so it makes me happy that they can enjoy a stay-cation in our home while we are gone. Yippeeee!!

I'm still not completely packed and hope I remember everything! Debating about whether or not to drag my scale along. I usually bring it and clip it to my carry on bag because I don't want it to get broken in my checked luggage.

Getting excited!! Tomorrow DH and I will be sipping MaiTais on Waikiki beach at noon!!! Aloha!!!!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Old 08-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #344
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just popping in before going to dinner.

I'll get a couple of second opinions to verify but the surgeon thinks that I need both shoulders and knees done. Because of the nature of the surgery and the rehab, I have the option to get 2 joints done at a time but that would mean that I'd be in a wheelchair for a while.

Lots to think about - although it would be a mess in other ways, I might be better advised to stagger the surgery so that the first two are done separately. I might then be able to form an opinion as to how well (or otherwise) I'm recovering and healing and then form a view as to whether I would like the other 2 joints done together to try and reduce the overall rehab time.

It looks like the shoulder joints will need somewhere from 6-12 months to recover and I won't be able to do much for a while. At the moment, I'm not sure that DH grasps the scale of this - it's not just that I won't be doing my usual activities or will have to time things for work purposes, but I'll actually need assistance bathing and dressing.

It feels like quite a big chunk of my life will be put on hold to do this but it's not clear that I have much choice as the ligaments and tears will just deteriorate if they're not fixed and they're not amenable to physiotherapy or other non-surgical interventions. (This is why I need a second opinion or two.) It's taken me so long to feel right after my last accident that I'm deeply reluctant to undertake anything that needs a lengthy recovery.

I have some thinking to do but there's a lobster with my name on it.

Dec 2014 A DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.

Last edited by SlowSure; 08-26-2014 at 11:29 AM..
Old 08-26-2014, 11:32 AM   #345
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
Good grief, you’ve had a lot of health stuff to deal with, SS! A second opinion or two sounds like a very good idea — and you’ll have had time to come up with more questions by the time you see them.

Now go and enjoy that lobster!

Last edited by Ailuros; 08-26-2014 at 11:33 AM..
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:32 AM   #346
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Oh, Slow, that's quite an ordeal to even have to think about! Shoulder repairs, I know, are very slow healing and painful. I don't know much about knees, but I'm wishing you all the best!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #347
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Just popping in before going to dinner.

It feels like quite a big chunk of my life will be put on hold to do this but it's not clear that I have much choice as the ligaments and tears will just deteriorate if they're not fixed and they're not amenable to physiotherapy or other non-surgical interventions. (This is why I need a second opinion or two.) It's taken me so long to feel right after my last accident that I'm deeply reluctant to undertake anything that needs a lengthy recovery.

I have some thinking to do but there's a lobster with my name on it.
I don't know you yet, I feel like I do since I've been reading all of ya'lls posts. You have a lot on your plate right now. Hope all goes well with your second opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Oh, Slow, that's quite an ordeal to even have to think about! Shoulder repairs, I know, are very slow healing and painful. I don't know much about knees, but I'm wishing you all the best!
You miss are the one that talked me into trying this thing.

I'm sure you didn't know it, but you did!!!!! THanks!!!

Okay I went to the library and they didn't have the book! Going on amazon and ordering it now. I think I would rather have my own copy anyway!
Old 08-26-2014, 11:42 AM   #348

Quote:
We had an earthquake last night - 6.0 in the bay area. My aunt lives up there, and I'm just waiting until a "decent" hour to call and check on her. No reports of injuries yet, so I think she's fine.

The big quake in 1989 - my mom was at a conference in San Francisco and had just crossed the bay bridge 2 hours before the quake. I was living in Denmark at the time, but my host-sister was living in Berkeley, so she called immediately and I spoke with her before the phones went out. I didn't know until a few days later that my mom was there.

I'm sending good thoughts to everyone up in that area.
I finally got ahold of my aunt. Her phone was out for a day or so and she's on vacation at home, so she didn't check her e-mails. She said the quake threw her out of bed, but the house is fine and she's okay.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #349

Really, New? Awesome!
Old 08-26-2014, 11:57 AM   #350
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Really, New? Awesome!
Yes YOU! I had googled JUDDD just to find out what it was all about. I think you were on quite a few other sites. You have had such great success and the more I would read the more I would think "YEP I can see myself doing that!". THANK YOU. Between you and Carly, I'm thinking WOW I CAN do this.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:04 PM   #351

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Slow, that is distressing news! I'm glad you'll get other opinions to make sure that is the correct and only course for you. Small consolation, but I'm glad you're getting a lobster dinner, and I hope you can fully enjoy it.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #352
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
I'm back from my vacation. I just finished reading all of the August Chat. A lot hs been going on....

Slow Sure, I'm so sorry for all of the surgery you might be facing. After going through 8 surgeries to repair broken bones from being hit, I know exactly what you are in for. Hubby still has to help me with some projects. He is a dream, though. Hopefully yours will be the same.

Yam Yam, so sorry we are not back in Honolulu yet! Would so have loved to share Mai tais and dinner with you as well as give you a hug. Next time.......I'm just so glad you are able to go. Hope you are feeling better.

Kissa, so sorry your daughter is still having issues. She is so fortunate to have you for a mother.

I know several others are having very trying times with children and relatives. My heart goes out to everyone with challenges.

Our trip was an eating and wine fest. There is no other description. I got on the scale yesterday morning after traveling 23 hours and the number was not very pretty. I had a DD as I just couldn't eat any more rich food. Today the scale showed a drop of 5 pounds....yes 5 pounds. It was travel bloat, so I think I didn't do too badly. I found it relatively easy to only eat a bite of desserts most evenings. Deserts were not served at lunches most of the time. I ate a lot of fresh fruit. The fruits and veggies in Croatia were unbelievable. Coming from Hawaii where everything is shipped in, fruits are not wonderful.

Hubby has said he only wants salads for dinner with chicken or some other protein so food preparation will be minimal for us. I'm definitely out of the habit of cooking!

The second half of our trip was a barge trip on the Burgandy Canal. It ranks up there as one of our best trips! The scenery was spectacular. Hubby walked several miles everyday as the barge went from lock to lock. I watched the world go by. The small French towns were charming. We explored several of them.

Thanks to JUDDD we should be back to our starting weight in a week or so. It is so nice to know you can enjoy special occasions once in a while and get right back to normal eating!

Sorry for the long post, but I am so happy to be back reading about my JUDDD BUDDD's

Hugs for everyone
Old 08-26-2014, 12:24 PM   #353
Blabbermouth!!!

SlowSure: So sorry about your news! Oh my! That's a lot to consider. I agree that getting second opinions is a good idea. I hope you find more answers and more options. We'll be here for you whatever happens.

Seabreezes! Welcome back to the JB forum! Sounds like your trip was absolutely wonderful. I know what you mean by travel bloat. When I got back from PA I was 3 pounds up but after only one good DD I was 4.4 down! The bloat gushed away and took some extra with it!

I'm sad, too, that we will miss each other. You will enjoy the weather here, though. You are going to be in CA right? It's just been so lovely lately.

I've got to get packing. I've got most of my clothes clean, folded and in a basket. Now they have to find their way into my suitcase! I don't suppose they are going to get there on their own. lol.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:25 PM   #354
Junior LCF Member

Okay! Book has been ordered will be here next week. May I ask questions here ? or do I need to ask in another thread? I'm getting them mixed up!
Old 08-26-2014, 12:27 PM   #355
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Okay! Book has been ordered will be here next week. May I ask questions here ? or do I need to ask in another thread? I'm getting them mixed up!
Yes! ask away. You may ask here, there or anywhere on the forum. If you don't get enough feed back on this thread, just start a new one with a title like "need answers" or "newbie with a question" and you will get lots of input. JBs are soooo helpful!
Old 08-26-2014, 12:27 PM   #356
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
The book is good motivation! I especially like the chapter about the Rescue Gene, SIRT1. Kinda sounds like JUDDD magic. Enjoy! Then come back and give us a book report!!
I was able to buy a used copy for .03 and shipping was 3.99. so I figure wasn't too bad.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:29 PM   #357
Junior LCF Member

Okay what in the world is a mid-day? I know what up days are and down days. Do you take a mid day off or do some take Sat and Sun off? I'm just doing the every other day as a down day. Is that right or am I way off? I did go on the site and enter my information to get my calorie count for DD and UD.

My Calories for UD - 2651

DD - 530

Last edited by newtothis52; 08-26-2014 at 12:34 PM..
Old 08-26-2014, 12:37 PM   #358
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Okay what in the world is a mid-day? I know what up days are and down days. Do you take a mid day off or do some take Sat and Sun off? I'm just doing the every other day as a down day. Is that right or am I way off? I did go on the site and enter my information to get my calorie count for DD and UD.
A mid day or "medium" day is something we use when we need to change our rotations for some reason like a special event or holiday.

The proper order is DD;MD;UD

Just add your DD and UD calories together and divide by 2. That's how many calories you eat on a mid-day.

Sounds like you have the right idea! When you went to the calculator, did you use lbs and inches? And, most of us choose 20% and no exercise (even if we are working out, we don't want to eat our calories back). But that's up to you.

For the first 2 weeks you can just do 500 calorie DDs to make it easy to get used to. Some JUDDDers can stay there and lose and don't even have to reduce DD calories.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-26-2014, 12:49 PM   #359
Blabbermouth!!!

Another thought: Some JUDDDers like fixed DDs so they will do them on the same day every week. For instance, M-W-F DD; Tu-Th UD; Sat. MD; Sun. UD or any variation of that pattern.

Dr. J suggests that the every other day UP day Down day works best.

Intermittent fasting works well no matter how you adjust it to your lifestyle.

Dr. Mosely's book "The Fast Diet" is where he talks about his 5:2 plan. He fasts on Mondays and Thursdays only (600 calories for him on a DD) because he loses too fast on an every other day schedule. Oh how nice it would be if I had THAT problem!

Krista Varady also has a helpful book called "The Every Other Day Diet".

When I'm on vacation, I often follow a "Fast-5" type of schedule. That means you choose a 5 hour window during the day to consume your calories.

Usually when I'm on vacation, that means dinner for me. I do well skipping breakfast and even lunch. Then I have a relatively early dinner and I'm good to go. Someday when I reach maintenance I may adopt fast-5 because it does work well for maintaining for me.

Hope I'm not confusing you!

JUDDD is very simple and you don't need to over think it. Only 2 or 3 "rules".

1. On DDs eat 500 calories or less.

2. On UDs eat your calculated calories.

3. Use a MD if you need to change your UD/DD schedule for a special event. But it's not recommended to do that in the first 2 weeks because your body needs to activate the SIRT1 gene and get sirtuin enzymes flowing. This happens fastest if you stick to alternate day DDs.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:58 PM   #360
Junior LCF Member

I'm just keeping it extremely simple! Love all the information. I'm just going to do DD and UD for now. See how it goes this weekend. I did use pounds and inches on the site. And then printed off some information to get me started. Maybe I will read Krista's book after this one. I know when I looked it up, her name came up a lot of the time as well as Dr J's.

I printed out your information too! I've started a journal as Dr. J suggested so will put all information I get into that so I can keep it straight. I like SIMPLE!

Last edited by newtothis52; 08-26-2014 at 01:01 PM..