Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2014, 07:23 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: juncus
WOE: JUDDD & Low Carb
Start Date: 05/13/14 (LC), 07/07/14 (JUDDD & LC)
What is an MD?

I have seen the term MD on this board, and I'm not sure what it stands for. Make-up Day maybe (based on the context of how I've seen it used)?? So what is an MD and how is it used? Is it important to JUDDDing? Do YOU use them? THANKS!
juncus is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2014, 10:53 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
MDs are Middle Days or Medium Days. It basically means the average between your UD and your DD calories (or 60% on the calculator). You can use them to switch up your rotations if you need and UD for a particular day that would normally be a DD.

It seems like several of us (raises hand) really dislike MDs, but others do very well with them. If you choose to use them, it's recommended that you to a MD after a DD (think small, medium, large, so DD, MD, UD). If you try to do a DD after a MD, it might be a challenge because you're not well fueled from the day before.

Hope that helps!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:44 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
It seems like several of us (raises hand) really dislike MDs, but others do very well with them. If you choose to use them, it's recommended that you to a MD after a DD (think small, medium, large, so DD, MD, UD). If you try to do a DD after a MD, it might be a challenge because you're not well fueled from the day before.
We normally recommend a MD UD sequence, as Carol explains. So, if I needed Friday to be an UD rather than my usual DD:
Mon DD, Tuesday UD, Wednesday DD, Thursday MD, Friday UD.

I have used MD as part of my regular routine since I finished induction. I have a lot of sports and other commitments over the weekend that make DDs implausible (hypothermia protocols mandate that we eat/drink when instructed, and I can't do that on run of the mill DD but can incorporate it into an MD).

However, as per Carol, lots of people loathe them and MD doesn't suit them or their needs. I have to say that it did lead to regularly annoying weigh-ins on Monday and it wasn't until the end of the week before I show losses, only for most of them to disappear by Monday. But, I couldn't have managed without them and I did shed my weight, albeit slowly.
July 2014 Life, eh! In March I had a DXA scan which revealed very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional and normal service may resume at some point
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:26 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131.8/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
A lot of people usually don't set out to have a MD but if your UD calories aren't high enough that's what it ends up being. Or if you couldn't get low enough on your DD. I sometimes use it to avoid 2 UDs in a row because I like to have certain days like Wednesdays ALWAYS DDs. I've had at least 1 per week for the last month and I've lost every week. If you stop losing then you would have to re-evaluate having MDs.

Last edited by Kismet311; 07-11-2014 at 04:28 AM..
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:58 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladybarometer
Stats: 219/188/160
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Reboot 10/2013
Some folks use MDs to get through holidays and like SlowSure said, to get by when you have things to do that require more nurishment then you'd usually get on a DD.

I try my best to not use MDs, because I can't do a DD afterward, because I usually wake up hungry the next day, and it ends up throwing off my rotation. You can experiment and play with things like MDs and see if it's right for you.
ladybarometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:58 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
LB, you're not meant to try and use MDs instead of UDs. It's meant to break up rotations so that you can have a UD on a day that is scheduled for a DD. You shouldn't ever have to do a DD after a MD. Like LCG said, it should be done like this: DD, MD, UD.
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:54 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: juncus
WOE: JUDDD & Low Carb
Start Date: 05/13/14 (LC), 07/07/14 (JUDDD & LC)
Thank you for the replies! I understand now. Sounds like a good tool to use if you need an UD to fall on a certain day. I don't envision having too many of those, but it's good to know what to do in the event. I will eventually buy Dr. J's book and read it........until then, I appreciate being able to ask all my clueless JUDDD-related questions here! Thanks!
juncus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
You'll probably get way more useful info here than from the book. Don't get me wrong, I love the book and am glad to have it. But the JBs rule!
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote