Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dixiegal
WOE: LC/JUDDD My way
Start Date: 7/7/14 LC/JUDDD
how do you get all the food in on UD?

Probably a dumb question but today was my first day and I choose to start with an UD I ate a lot today for me and was worried I might have went over my UD allowance which is 1981 UD & 396 DD, so I added it up and it only was 984 which I'm rounding out to 1000 because I've never been good at figuring calories. I'm full still and can't possible eat anymore today. I used my s health on my phone to track calories so hopefully it's right. So I'm short 900 or so calories here and I'm really doubting having to force myself to eat past full. Does this diet work if you can't get them all in?
9/1 201
10/1 196
My 7 favorite little people call me Granny Kimmy but you can call me Kim.
My journal http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ourney-35.html
dixiegal is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Long range that will not work. An occasional lower UD is ok, but overall you need a good spread between UDs and DDs. Try to stick to the JUDDD calculator as close as possible in the beginning.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:38 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: juncus
WOE: JUDDD & Low Carb
Start Date: 05/13/14 (LC), 07/07/14 (JUDDD & LC)
dixiegal -- The same thing happened to me last night. I have been on a low-carb, 1500-calorie-per-day eating plan for about 7 weeks, so I have gotten used to eating 1500 calories or less each day. As someone (Thanks, Carly!) pointed out, that is way too few calories for me, considering that the JUDDD calculator gives me a daily calorie budget of 2555.

Today was my first day on JUDDD, and I did a DD. Knowing yesterday that today was going to be a fasting DD, I tried to buoy my calories from the 1500 I have been eating to closer to 2555 in preparation for my first DD. By dinner time last night, I had eaten about 1000, so I really had to calorie-up my last meal. I usually eat a cheeseburger for dinner (I am low-carbing), so I made two instead of one. Let me tell you -- I literally had to choke it all down!

Sure, I have had many, many 2555+ calorie days in my lifetime -- you don't get to be my size without them! -- but those mostly involved bingeing, grossly overeating and eating lots of high-calorie crap. A whole pizza here, a carton of ice cream there..... I have never in my life INTENTIONALLY shot for 2555 calories! I usually eat 2 meals a day with no snacks, so that's 2 meals of approximately 1250 each (if I split my allotment 50/50). Again, I have done that many times -- but not on purpose. It's easy to do if you include some calorie bomb from a restaurant or a whole bag of potato chips -- but while cooking at home and being "on a diet", that just feels like an outrageous number!

In thinking about my upcoming meals, I honestly feel more stressed about doing my UDs right than doing my DDs right. Not eating at all is easier for me than eating with purpose.
juncus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I don't exactly have trouble getting my calories in
but one good way to get them without feeling too full is to drink them. I like iced coffee with light cream, and smoothies or protein shakes with coconut milk.

Quote:
I'm really doubting having to force myself to eat past full. Does this diet work if you can't get them all in?
Dr Johnson does not recommend forcing yourself to eat.
There may be some helpful info here:
What Dr Johnson says about UD calories

The experience of some JUDDDers is that eating close to your UD calories at least a couple times a week is better for weight loss, and eating too few calories on UDs can cause slower weight loss or a stall. YMMV!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 07-07-2014 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: add info
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:15 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the link to that helpful thread, piratejenny!
Old 07-07-2014, 10:17 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I think what you'll find as you keep JUDDDing is that once you've established the low DDs, it won't be a problem for you to get in your UD calories, because your body will need that amount of fuel (at least) to keep your metabolism going well and fuel your body. If it's a mental block from years and years of restriction, just LET THAT GO RIGHT NOW!

1. Where has that amount of restriction gotten you? If you're here to lose, then obviously restricting super low hasn't done the job you wanted it to.

2. Think of it in terms of your average daily intake. If you have 400 DDs and 2000 UDs, that's an average daily intake of 1200. Still very very low.

I know it's hard, but trust JUDDD and your body to be able to lose fat while being properly nourished. Your metabolism isn't broken (we ALL think ours is when we begin, and really, only a very small number of people truly have this problem). Trust.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:44 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I think what you'll find as you keep JUDDDing is that once you've established the low DDs, it won't be a problem for you to get in your UD calories, because your body will need that amount of fuel (at least) to keep your metabolism going well and fuel your body. If it's a mental block from years and years of restriction, just LET THAT GO RIGHT NOW!

1. Where has that amount of restriction gotten you? If you're here to lose, then obviously restricting super low hasn't done the job you wanted it to.

2. Think of it in terms of your average daily intake. If you have 400 DDs and 2000 UDs, that's an average daily intake of 1200. Still very very low.

I know it's hard, but trust JUDDD and your body to be able to lose fat while being properly nourished. Your metabolism isn't broken (we ALL think ours is when we begin, and really, only a very small number of people truly have this problem). Trust.
I agree with everything Carol has said here. 900 calories, for some, is a DD! There are plenty of ways of adding healthy calories without a lot of volume. Full fat cheeses, nuts, cream, butter, fattier cuts of meat, etc. You can do it, and you can enjoy those UDs to help get you through the DDs.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:54 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I agree with everything Carol has said here. 900 calories, for some, is a DD! There are plenty of ways of adding healthy calories without a lot of volume. Full fat cheeses, nuts, cream, butter, fattier cuts of meat, etc. You can do it, and you can enjoy those UDs to help get you through the DDs.

May I suggest avocado, ranch dressing, creamy lattes with whipped cream, sliced pepperoni, macadamia nuts... (My UD is 1,550 )
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:59 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
Like LCG says, you should find it easier to eat up to your calories after a few weeks. I wouldn't worry about it unless it is an ongoing thing. There is a 'fat-bomb' thread with some great recipes, if you still need a little help.

One of my favorites is half dark chocolate(of the sweetness level you prefer)/ half coconut oil, melted together, then poured into paper mini-muffin cups and chilled. A nice treat to pop into your mouth and let slowly melt.

And my all-time favorite, LIVERWURST!
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:05 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 210/157/155 5' 8"
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
Sirtain, your chocolate and coconut oil treat sounds delish! I'm trying that...
Alcestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:58 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladybarometer
Stats: 219/188/160
WOE: Low Carb (Less than 30 total a day)
Start Date: Always Ongoing it seems
Sometimes I catch myself logging food, and hitting 1200-1500 calories out of habit, and that's no good.

I replaced my FF yogurt for greek yogurt (160 cals instead of 80) I have a fattier protein like pork or red meat, I cook with coconut oil or butter, eat a higher calorie veggie like potatoes or sweet potatoes, full fat dressing on my salad, I use the whole egg instead of just the white, I eat almonds or another kind of nut, and my favorite things to do? Have a treat!
ladybarometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:04 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/124.2/122-125
WOE: Chronic Experimenter
Quote:
Originally Posted by juncus View Post
dixiegal -- The same thing happened to me last night. I have been on a low-carb, 1500-calorie-per-day eating plan for about 7 weeks, so I have gotten used to eating 1500 calories or less each day. As someone (Thanks, Carly!) pointed out, that is way too few calories for me, considering that the JUDDD calculator gives me a daily calorie budget of 2555.

Today was my first day on JUDDD, and I did a DD. Knowing yesterday that today was going to be a fasting DD, I tried to buoy my calories from the 1500 I have been eating to closer to 2555 in preparation for my first DD. By dinner time last night, I had eaten about 1000, so I really had to calorie-up my last meal. I usually eat a cheeseburger for dinner (I am low-carbing), so I made two instead of one. Let me tell you -- I literally had to choke it all down!

Sure, I have had many, many 2555+ calorie days in my lifetime -- you don't get to be my size without them! -- but those mostly involved bingeing, grossly overeating and eating lots of high-calorie crap. A whole pizza here, a carton of ice cream there..... I have never in my life INTENTIONALLY shot for 2555 calories! I usually eat 2 meals a day with no snacks, so that's 2 meals of approximately 1250 each (if I split my allotment 50/50). Again, I have done that many times -- but not on purpose. It's easy to do if you include some calorie bomb from a restaurant or a whole bag of potato chips -- but while cooking at home and being "on a diet", that just feels like an outrageous number!

In thinking about my upcoming meals, I honestly feel more stressed about doing my UDs right than doing my DDs right. Not eating at all is easier for me than eating with purpose.
Since you're low-carbing, you may like cheesecake pudding. I make it with the Jello sugar-free pudding mix (cheesecake flavor) and mix it w/2 cups of HWC instead of the milk and add walnuts. It's a calorie bomb! About 525 calories and 8 carbs.
CarolinaCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/122.2/115-120
Macadamia Nuts- delicious, fatty and so reach in calories
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCoast View Post
Since you're low-carbing, you may like cheesecake pudding. I make it with the Jello sugar-free pudding mix (cheesecake flavor) and mix it w/2 cups of HWC instead of the milk and add walnuts. It's a calorie bomb! About 525 calories and 8 carbs.
Ooooh, that sounds good! We are neighbors, by the way -- I live in eastern NC too!
Old 07-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/124.2/122-125
WOE: Chronic Experimenter
Howdy!
CarolinaCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

I guess I'm just so used to restricting food that UD's seem like overeating but you're right restricting has gotten me nowhere Today was my first DD which has been a breeze
Old 07-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
You've gotten some good insight and advice here. If you're like most of us, after a few weeks you'll be asking how to stay *within* your calories on a UD!!
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:01 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 46 pounds down, 102 more to lose.
WOE: JUDD induc.UD 4/10/14 LC'ish, Calorie awareness
Start Date: March 16th 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
You've gotten some good insight and advice here. If you're like most of us, after a few weeks you'll be asking how to stay *within* your calories on a UD!!
lol
I see this question in my future.
Partyof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:10 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
I always have some nuts on hand, hard boiled eggs, cheese, etc. I have been finding it hard to get all the UD calories by eating low carb since it makes me fuller faster so I have some high calorie things on hand. It's amazing how those nut calories add up!!!
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
I don't exactly have trouble getting my calories in
but one good way to get them without feeling too full is to drink them. I like iced coffee with light cream, and smoothies or protein shakes with coconut milk.

Dr Johnson does not recommend forcing yourself to eat.
There may be some helpful info here:
What Dr Johnson says about UD calories

The experience of some JUDDDers is that eating close to your UD calories at least a couple times a week is better for weight loss, and eating too few calories on UDs can cause slower weight loss or a stall. YMMV!
I am so glad I came across this thread! I have been having the most success lately with my less than perfect attempt to eat only when hungry. IE is how I want to eat for the rest of my life, without counting calories, carbs, fats, without thinking about food all day and obsessing.

Quote:

WONderful insights, Carol. I know restriction has got me NOwhere and that feeling deprived triggers eating without hunger in me way too often. True about metabolism. It needs us to "do the right thing" and eat the right amount of food (usually less) of good healthy stuff that truly feeds us. Feed it right and your body can run like its supposed to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
GREAT ideas, Dawn. Cheese, nuts, cream, fatty meat, butter, all good LC choices for those of us who watch our carbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post

May I suggest avocado, ranch dressing, creamy lattes with whipped cream, sliced pepperoni, macadamia nuts... (My UD is 1,550 )
yummm avocado, whipped cream, pepperoni (trader joe's has a good one)
and mmmm macadamia nuts. expensive but so is junk food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtain View Post
Like LCG says, you should find it easier to eat up to your calories after a few weeks. I wouldn't worry about it unless it is an ongoing thing. There is a 'fat-bomb' thread with some great recipes, if you still need a little help.

One of my favorites is half dark chocolate(of the sweetness level you prefer)/ half coconut oil, melted together, then poured into paper mini-muffin cups and chilled. A nice treat to pop into your mouth and let slowly melt.

And my all-time favorite, LIVERWURST!
I'll pass on the liverwurst but love the CO and dark chocolate idea. So easy and very nice LC treat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCoast View Post
Yumm again CC! I put sugar free cheesecake pudding mix on my grocery list. Again delicious and a nice LC treat with calories to up your UD!

"When a person has had too much to eat, fasting is the smartest thing he could do.” – Mark Sisson, Mark’s Daily Apple.

BElieve in
YOUrself!
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Some great ideas to up the calories! Feels weird even typing that sentence Looking forward to tomorrows UD to try some of them.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:36 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegal View Post
Some great ideas to up the calories! Feels weird even typing that sentence Looking forward to tomorrows UD to try some of them.
I feel ya! Today was my second UD. For the first one (Tuesday), I was 387 calories under my budget of 2555, and today I was 583 under. I had two low-carb, high fat meals today -- the first one was at about 1 pm, and the second was around 8 pm. Both were very satisfying and VERY filling. I just can't eat any more!
Old 07-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 46 pounds down, 102 more to lose.
WOE: JUDD induc.UD 4/10/14 LC'ish, Calorie awareness
Start Date: March 16th 2014
I did 2k over today, I think. Don't ask.

hint: it was steak..and french fries.
Partyof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:23 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
Quote:
Originally Posted by juncus View Post
I feel ya! Today was my second UD. For the first one (Tuesday), I was 387 calories under my budget of 2555, and today I was 583 under. I had two low-carb, high fat meals today -- the first one was at about 1 pm, and the second was around 8 pm. Both were very satisfying and VERY filling. I just can't eat any more!
This happens to me when I eat low carb. For me, carbs make me want to eat more so I could easily get a very high calorie number.
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote