Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 04:36 PM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
July JUDDD Newbies

July JUDDD Newbies. Ask all your questions here and connect for support and encouragement.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sloppail
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD Restart May 20 2014
Hello...about 6 weeks into JUDDD and I've lost almost 12 pounds...I love JUDDD
sloppail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppail View Post
Hello...about 6 weeks into JUDDD and I've lost almost 12 pounds...I love JUDDD
Those are some great losses! KUTGW!
Old 07-01-2014, 11:11 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Awesome Kim!!!

Welcome to all the newbies! I can't wait to hear the conversation this month.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:38 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TrueTrue
Stats: 189.5/176.5/155 | 5'8" | Age 44
Start Date: 21 July 2014
I started 6/30 and so yesterday was my first UD. It went great, and to be honest I am really glad to not be tied to LC anymore. While there are things I love about LC, it is just nice to have fruit and bread and potatoes (etc) again. Not to mention a small Dairy Queen blizzard.

Thanks to all here who are so welcoming and helpful! Your kindness is a big reason why I decided to make this change. I need the support, for sure!

Question for you: as you lose weight week to week, do you re-calculate each week to arrive at new UD/DD limits? My DD value is already kinda low (436) and I am a little concerned that as I lose weight, that number will keep getting smaller (and more difficult). I guess that's the nature of the beast though?
TrueTrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:04 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTrue View Post
Question for you: as you lose weight week to week, do you re-calculate each week to arrive at new UD/DD limits? My DD value is already kinda low (436) and I am a little concerned that as I lose weight, that number will keep getting smaller (and more difficult). I guess that's the nature of the beast though?
The general recommendation is not to recalculate till you stall for at least 2 weeks.

I never intentionally had to lower UDs. I just ate less and less as I lost. I did intentionally lower DDs. After the first couple months I just tried to keep my DD under 150 c. I lost really well with low DDs and it seemed I could get away with a bit more on some UDs that way.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:09 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/126/119 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
I started Dr. Mosley's 5:2 plan on June 19, so I've done 4 DDs of just under 500 calories. I still eat LC every day because it's second nature to me now after more than 3 very compliant years.

I've had a pretty easy time of it on my DDs, except for increased anxiety. I don't consciously feel anxious, but on each DD, I have noticed symptoms of anxiety, mainly shortness of breath. I have a current prescription to treat anxiety attacks, but the symptoms haven't been bad enough for me to go there, just enough to be noticeable.
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:12 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTrue View Post
I started 6/30 and so yesterday was my first UD. It went great, and to be honest I am really glad to not be tied to LC anymore. While there are things I love about LC, it is just nice to have fruit and bread and potatoes (etc) again. Not to mention a small Dairy Queen blizzard.

Thanks to all here who are so welcoming and helpful! Your kindness is a big reason why I decided to make this change. I need the support, for sure!

It is great to be able to incorporate some treat foods on JUDDD. Just one of the many benefits of this WOE. I agree with Carly, don't recalculate until your losses stall out for at least 2 weeks, and that includes inch losses. Sometimes the scale doesn't move, but you're getting smaller anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargD View Post
I started Dr. Mosley's 5:2 plan on June 19, so I've done 4 DDs of just under 500 calories. I still eat LC every day because it's second nature to me now after more than 3 very compliant years.

I've had a pretty easy time of it on my DDs, except for increased anxiety. I don't consciously feel anxious, but on each DD, I have noticed symptoms of anxiety, mainly shortness of breath. I have a current prescription to treat anxiety attacks, but the symptoms haven't been bad enough for me to go there, just enough to be noticeable.
There are a lot of things going on when you transition to JUDDD. I'm no scientist or doctor, so I'm no good at explaining the technicalities, but chemical reactions are going on, cell healing is happening, possibly some detoxing. Keep an eye on your symptoms, but if it's nothing too bad, just observe and see how it all changes. I'll bet you'll be feeling much better in a matter of a week or two.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
Old 07-03-2014, 03:35 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

!!!! Some people have described anxiety like symptoms on DDs in the beginning. It seems to resolve over time.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:53 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/126/119 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
Thank you, Carly and Carol. I'm planning to ride it out and see what happens.
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:42 AM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Thank you, Carly and Carol. I'm planning to ride it out and see what happens.
How do you feel Marg?
Old 07-04-2014, 04:51 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: juncus
WOE: JUDDD & Low Carb
Start Date: 05/13/14 (LC), 07/07/14 (JUDDD & LC)
Hi, Everyone! I am not technically a "JUDDD Newbie" because I haven't started it.... yet. I am currently in the research phase to learn more about it before giving it a try.

I currently follow a VLC/LC diet, utilize IF (2 meals a day, no snacks) and count calories. In the past, I have always been able to successfully lose weight doing LC without regard for calories -- but for some reason, now at the age of 45, counting them appears to be necessary. I am using the Lose It! app, which I LOVE -- it is keeping me accountable (and also tracking everything for me, of course). I have been losing weight at a satisfactory pace, but I know that the infamous LC stall is likely in my future. I also know that, based on past history, I will eventually grow tired of meat and eggs.

JUDDD is sounding pretty darn good! I have been reading lots of threads and taking copious notes. I have not read Dr. Johnson's book yet, but I did look at his website.

I do have a few questions:

(1) There has been some question about UD calories. I read the thread about Dr. J answering a JUDDDers question on the topic of eating less than the "normal" daily caloric guideline. In his email to her, he says that going under that number will probably slow your metabolism -- yet on his website, he clearly says that it is OK to eat less than the regular daily allowance. These statements are obviously contradictory, which is bugging me! What has been your experience with this? I am concerned about doing it right because as I mentioned above, counting calories seems to really matter to my body when it comes to losing weight. My current calorie budget calculated by the Lose It! app is 1507 -- but using the calculator on Dr. J's website, it is 2155. I imagine the main reason for the difference is the activity factor. I make an adjustment on the Lose It! calculation because for their lowest activity setting, the calculator assumes that you burn calories equivalent to working in an office all day. I, however, am even more sedentary than that. I seldom leave the house (or the couch!), so I made a manual adjustment using an activity factor of 1.2 instead of the standard 1.45 for being "sedentary", which is probably what Dr. J's calculator uses.

(2) Does anyone take resveratrol? What's your experience with that?

(3) For those of you who follow JUDDD and LC, do you do LC on both UD and DD? Have you found that you can eat a little more carbs while doing JUDDD than when eating LC without the JUDDD pattern?

THANK YOU in advance! This seems like a GREAT community within the LCF board!
juncus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:28 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aritae
Stats: 251/244/150
Start Date: 06/18/2014
Hi, juncus! I probably don't have the answers you're looking for, but still wanted to welcome you to the group. I'm sure our JUDDD experts will be along soon to give advice.
aritae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:58 PM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juncus View Post
Hi, Everyone! I am not technically a "JUDDD Newbie" because I haven't started it.... yet. I am currently in the research phase to learn more about it before giving it a try.

I currently follow a VLC/LC diet, utilize IF (2 meals a day, no snacks) and count calories. In the past, I have always been able to successfully lose weight doing LC without regard for calories -- but for some reason, now at the age of 45, counting them appears to be necessary. I am using the Lose It! app, which I LOVE -- it is keeping me accountable (and also tracking everything for me, of course). I have been losing weight at a satisfactory pace, but I know that the infamous LC stall is likely in my future. I also know that, based on past history, I will eventually grow tired of meat and eggs.

JUDDD is sounding pretty darn good! I have been reading lots of threads and taking copious notes. I have not read Dr. Johnson's book yet, but I did look at his website.

(1) There has been some question about UD calories. I read the thread about Dr. J answering a JUDDDers question on the topic of eating less than the "normal" daily caloric guideline. In his email to her, he says that going under that number will probably slow your metabolism -- yet on his website, he clearly says that it is OK to eat less than the regular daily allowance. These statements are obviously contradictory, which is bugging me! What has been your experience with this? I am concerned about doing it right because as I mentioned above, counting calories seems to really matter to my body when it comes to losing weight. My current calorie budget calculated by the Lose It! app is 1507 -- but using the calculator on Dr. J's website, it is 2155. I imagine the main reason for the difference is the activity factor. I make an adjustment on the Lose It! calculation because for their lowest activity setting, the calculator assumes that you burn calories equivalent to working in an office all day. I, however, am even more sedentary than that. I seldom leave the house (or the couch!), so I made a manual adjustment using an activity factor of 1.2 instead of the standard 1.45 for being "sedentary", which is probably what Dr. J's calculator uses.

(3) For those of you who follow JUDDD and LC, do you do LC on both UD and DD? Have you found that you can eat a little more carbs while doing JUDDD than when eating LC without the JUDDD pattern?

I think eating your UD calorie allotment according to Dr. Johnson's website is important. I exercise quite a bit but always used the numbers with no exercise at 20% weight loss mode.

I takes resveratrol. I have no idea if it helps with weight loss, but I think I get improved energy and focus with resveratrol and pterostilbene.

I do not follow low carb in the least.

!!!
Old 07-04-2014, 07:18 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/160.8/165
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
Welcome to July newbies!!!

Carly I just love how generous you are with your knowledge and encouragement. You are a true hero and all around good egg!
Hugs.
P
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:13 AM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:

I'm in my early 40s with Thyroid disease. I just used Dr. J's calculated UD and DD calories based on little to no activity (whether or not I was exercising), and lost very well. Not knowing your stats, I can't confirm the 2155 UD number, but would be happy to if you'd like to provide age (45), height, gender, current weight. The difference between 1507-2155 is a pretty big one, so I'm concerned something didn't line up correctly on Dr. J's calculator for you.

I have tried both resveratrol and pterostilbene. Resveratrol gave me awful headaches. Pterostilbene didn't appear to do anything for me. I don't seem to respond like most people to supplements, though, so I'm probably the odd one on that topic.

I stopped counting carbs completely when I came to JUDDD, and eat anything and everything.

KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:55 PM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

juncus!

1) I know, it bugs me too that there is conflicting info from the Dr. himself. Personally, I think the wide swing between UD and DD calories is one of the most important factors. Then, obviously, the overall reduced average daily caloric intake. You just have to play around and find your own personal sweet spot for good losses and feeling great.

2) I don't take Resveritrol, but I do take Pterostilbene every morning. I'm contemplating doing away with it, but am a little afraid to, as I know it has helped control my appetite in the past.

3) I used to LC, and do tend toward controlled carb, but don't truly LC anymore. I just feel better w/o a lot of "white stuff" in my diet.

I hope you'll give JUDDD a try! Good luck!
Old 07-05-2014, 05:16 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Virusnaz
Hey all I am new, just thought I would say hi ��
Virusnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:30 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Thanks for your reply, KeirasMom! I am currently 315, 5'7" and female.

I'm pretty sure that the Lose It! calculator for daily caloric budget and the calculator on Dr. J's website use the same mathematical formula, the Harris-Benedict Equation for Basal Energy Expenditure:

BEE = 655.1 + (9.563 x kg) + (1.850 x cm) - (4.676 x age).

Both gave me about 2100 calories. This number includes an activity factor of 1.45 as the standard for a Sedentary lifestyle. According to Lose It!, this assumes no exercise and a "low-energy" occupation like office work. I am not working at all, though, so I felt that the lowest activity factor (1.45) was still too high for me. I may do some puttering around the house and occasionally run errands -- but honestly, I spend most of my day on the couch. I am not sick or injured or anything like that -- just lazy and experiencing a period of no momentum in my life.

The Lose It! app allows you to make adjusts to your daily caloric budget, so I recalculated it using the above equation and a smaller activity factor. I think I used either 1.2 or 1.3, so that lowered my daily budget to about 1500. I don't know if that was the right thing to do, though! I just didn't think I should "allow" my couch potato self the same number of calories as someone who is out and about and burning more off.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:38 PM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

I think for your height, age and weight, that 1,500 is just way too low. I'm afraid you will seriously slow your metabolism with 1,500. Especially if you add in DDs. Instead of lowering your calories it may be a good idea just to get up every 30 minutes or so and walk around your living room or down the hall and back. If you get your body use to 1,500 when you weigh 300 pounds imagine how little you will have to eat at 180 to maintain your weight.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for the welcome, aritae, Carly, Patkid, KeirasMom and LoCarbGal!

Carly, you definitely seem to be the JUDDD master -- I have read MANY posts by you during my JUDDD research!
Old 07-05-2014, 06:02 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I think for your height, age and weight, that 1,500 is just way too low. I'm afraid you will seriously slow your metabolism with 1,500. Especially if you add in DDs. Instead of lowering your calories it may be a good idea just to get up every 30 minutes or so and walk around your living room or down the hall and back. If you get your body use to 1,500 when you weigh 300 pounds imagine how little you will have to eat at 180 to maintain your weight.
Thank you, Carly! Excellent point! I did not even think about that aspect with regard to calorie intake. Yes, I definitely need to start MOVING! Sitting all day is SO bad for you. I have just been in a funk since losing my job.

I have been doing VLC for about 7 weeks or so. For the first half, I was not counting calories, but for the second half, I have been. I've lost about 15 pounds and am feeling better -- BUT this does not feel sustainable LONG TERM.

I really think I am going to try JUDDD -- it's sounds like a great plan!
Old 07-06-2014, 05:59 AM   #23
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Welcome Virusnaz.

Juncus, with your stats, I get 2555 UD and 511 DD. Even though you're not active right now, I think you should start out at or close to those numbers. Many of us, especially those with quite a bit to lose, found that if we went too far below the calculated UD numbers, we wouldn't lose. Your body NEEDS to be well-fueled on your UD to carry you easily through your DD.

I started at around 280 and IIRC I had around 2400/420 or so for my allowances. I stuck to those and really lost well. Plus, being able to eat well and fully on my UD made it not feel so "diety" and I was able to do it long-term. I had to adjust my calories down about every 30 pounds or so, but when I tried to adjust them down too soon, I stalled.

I had an office job and didn't exercise at all when I started if that helps. Yes, I got up and got dressed every morning, but other than that, I was in my car or in my office chair.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:39 AM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Thank you for the welcome, aritae, Carly, Patkid, KeirasMom and LoCarbGal!

Carly, you definitely seem to be the JUDDD master -- I have read MANY posts by you during my JUDDD research!
I'm not sure I'm a JUDDD master , but I'm ever so grateful to have found this way of eating and LCFs.

I needed a WOE that was sustainable for not only the weight loss phase, but also for maintenance and I found that with JUDDD and IF.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:29 AM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virusnaz View Post
Virusnaz! Glad you chimed in and found us here. Have you started JUDDDing yet? Tell us how you're doing, and join in any/all of the threads you want to. We love new friends!

juncus, I love your avi - you are a beauty! I agree wholeheartedly with Carly and Dawn.....use all your UD calories! Keep that metabolism humming along so you won't have to restrict below comfort later on and then work your metabolism back up (speaking from experience).

I also agree about moving, even just a little. I've been trying to be on my feet more each day, even working standing up with my computer on a counter. The theory is NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) and is trying to get as much non exercise calorie burn as possible. Just standing up often over the day, or spending part of the day standing will add up to more calories than you realize!
Old 07-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virusnaz View Post

Please jump in and post so we get to "know" you!
Old 07-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
I read the thread about Dr. J answering a JUDDDers question on the topic of eating less than the "normal" daily caloric guideline. In his email to her, he says that going under that number will probably slow your metabolism -- yet on his website, he clearly says that it is OK to eat less than the regular daily allowance. These statements are obviously contradictory, which is bugging me!
I have always read this as: eating less on the Up Days on a REGULAR basis will slow your metabolism, but eating less ONCE IN A WHILE on your Up Days, according to your hunger levels, is fine.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

KEIRASMOM -- You are so right! I am getting my numbers all mixed up between the Lose It! app, Dr. J's website and my own calculations (and misinterpretations!). Yes, those would be my numbers: 2555 calories on UDs and 511 on DDs. 2555 sounds like such a big target number to me! I guess I have gotten used to the idea of eating 1500 or less every day, which I am now aware is too low for my weight.

LOCARBGAL -- Thank you for the compliment! You are sweet! )

SIRTAIN -- That makes sense! Thanks!
Old 07-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #29
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtain View Post
I have always read this as: eating less on the Up Days on a REGULAR basis will slow your metabolism, but eating less ONCE IN A WHILE on your Up Days, according to your hunger levels, is fine.
agreed!

I'm surprised constantly how we balk at the UD number. Concerned that it's just too high. We were obviously eating that much, or more every day (forget just every other day) to have arrived here in need of a weight loss plan- I mean, seriously
Old 07-06-2014, 11:36 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
agreed!

I'm surprised constantly how we balk at the UD number. Concerned that it's just too high. We were obviously eating that much, or more every day (forget just every other day) to have arrived here in need of a weight loss plan- I mean, seriously
I shudder to think of all the 10,000-calorie days I have probably seen in my lifetime!