Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Beer or Vodka Martini - That is the question! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/829504-beer-vodka-martini-question.html)

leonak 04-29-2014 11:34 AM

Beer or Vodka Martini - That is the question!
 
A guy I know just called me and asked if I could answer his question:

What is more fattening a beer or a vodka martini? He does like a "drink" and was wondering which of his 2 favorites to pick!

KeirasMom 04-29-2014 01:10 PM

A dry martini is fairly low calorie. A sweet martini I would think is worse. Beer varies greatly by style, but usually pretty caloric, especially for the beer I like (very dark).

That's why I stick to rum/diet Coke. :lol:

Librarygirl 04-29-2014 04:18 PM

It depends on what kind of beer he wants to drink, and whether he uses vermouth, olives, etc. Gin is about 80 calories an ounce, and vermouth is about 35. Small green olives are 5 calories each, but the large ones are probably about 15 or 20. I think a regular beer would come in at about the same calories as a martini, if the portions were measured. Many people drink more than an ounce though. ;)

Oops, vodka! From my research, it would be about 130 calories for a vodka martini--add 30 cals for higher proof vodka, and if he likes it "dirty" it could be over 200 cals a pop. :)

GME 04-30-2014 06:58 PM

This is a little OT, but I went to a nice restaurant a few months ago. I was on a "try new things" kick and one of the dinners came with either wine or a martini. Well, I have had wine many, many (many) times so I thought I would try a martini for the first time ever. I was feeling all grown up and Rat Pack-y with my martini, ate the olive, then took a sip. Now, I have never actually drank shoe polish, but that martini tasted like what I imagine shoe polish must taste like. <<shudder>>

So for me, beer would be way more fattening because I could actually drink it.

Kettleboy 05-01-2014 01:47 AM

Coors lite not too bad at about 130 kcal/pint, but my favourite Guiness isn't too bad at 180 Kcal/pint

Librarygirl 05-01-2014 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GME (Post 16894839)
This is a little OT, but I went to a nice restaurant a few months ago. I was on a "try new things" kick and one of the dinners came with either wine or a martini. Well, I have had wine many, many (many) times so I thought I would try a martini for the first time ever. I was feeling all grown up and Rat Pack-y with my martini, ate the olive, then took a sip. Now, I have never actually drank shoe polish, but that martini tasted like what I imagine shoe polish must taste like. <<shudder>>

So for me, beer would be way more fattening because I could actually drink it.

That was probably the gin lol. It tastes like pine sol. :D Next time order a vodka martini. ;)

GME 05-01-2014 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16895076)
That was probably the gin lol. It tastes like pine sol. :D Next time order a vodka martini. ;)

Good to know for next time (if there is a next time, I was pretty traumatized :laugh:).

LoCarbGal 05-01-2014 10:05 AM

:hyst:

Gina, you cracked me up! I love my vodka and am not much of a gin drinker, but every now and then I want a gin martini (like once a year or so) before a nice steak or beef dinner. I have found that the secret is the way you let the drink flow over your tongue. If you just sip it and let it flow over your entire tongue like you would with a sweeter drink, it will taste HORRIBLE! The secret is to let it slide down the center of your tongue, avoiding the sides and even the tip. That's where all the bitter receptors are, evidently (I forget my science from junior high). Then you get all the nice, aromatic flavors of the gin, but not so much of the bitterness. Also, a milder gin like Bombay Sapphire isn't quite as strong or traumatic.

Hope you give it a try again sometime!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot! Eat the olive LAST. It makes a difference! :dunno:

KeirasMom 05-01-2014 10:09 AM

And the "dirtier" the better! I love a good martini with lots of olive brine. :yummy::yummy:

leonak 05-01-2014 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16895591)
And the "dirtier" the better! I love a good martini with lots of olive brine. :yummy::yummy:

What is "dirtier"?

Sure glad I started this thread, learning lots! :high5::stars::high5:

Thanks Everyone!!!

KeirasMom 05-01-2014 10:15 AM

It's considered "dirty" if some of the juice from the jar of olives is added to the clear martini, making it sort of murky. I love the added flavor.

Librarygirl 05-01-2014 03:28 PM

Me too. They are potent though! I once had 3 and nearly conked out. :D

leonak 05-02-2014 01:49 PM

So on a 500 calorie DD I would be unable to walk, talk but maybe dance :stars::dunno::stars:

Librarygirl 05-02-2014 03:56 PM

No I wouldn't have even one martini on a DD lol!

cici52 05-04-2014 07:20 AM

In my experience it is not the alcohol that causes the calorie problem. It is all the extra calories consumed once the alcohol takes effect.

KeirasMom 05-04-2014 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cici52 (Post 16898455)
In my experience it is not the alcohol that causes the calorie problem. It is all the extra calories consumed once the alcohol takes effect.

Last night, for me, it was both. :stars:

GME 05-04-2014 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cici52 (Post 16898455)
In my experience it is not the alcohol that causes the calorie problem. It is all the extra calories consumed once the alcohol takes effect.

That is certainly my experience. The first thing to go is my good judgement.

cici52 05-04-2014 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16898552)
Last night, for me, it was both. :stars:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GME (Post 16898593)
That is certainly my experience. The first thing to go is my good judgement.

Ditto on both counts. Lite beer and crackers to make it up to my UD became UUAD.:eek:

LoCarbGal 05-04-2014 10:29 AM

I've never had the courage to try any alcohol on a DD for that very reason. I've wanted to, but I know myself too well! :o


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:24 AM.