Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2014, 09:52 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladybarometer
Stats: 219/188/160
WOE: Low Carb (Less than 30 total a day)
Start Date: Always Ongoing it seems
Calorie Counting

Does calorie counting give you anxiety?

I find that calorie counting hurts me on my UDs because I over-think my day. What I would casual eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner and fall easily into my alotted calories becomes this think that is stressful and I spend entirely too much time thinking and plannin.

At the beginning of JUDDD, I needed to count just to see where I was, but not anymore. I basically eat the same things often enough that I know that I'm right where I need to be.

On my DDs I usually always eat the same thing; a salad for lunch, and a small piece of meat for dinner along with a green veggie or another salad. Unless I eat beef, I'm always within my calorie alottment. I'm thinking about giving up the counting, and just going with what I know.

I can use my clothing and scale for accountability, and adjust from there.

Have you had counting issues?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2014, 10:57 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Do you count as you go through the day or in advance?

I ask because it would drive me nuts to be counting during the day. I plan my meals at least 24 hours in advance, and calorie counting is part of my planning.

I plan similarly for both DDs and UDs. Then I go through my day without even thinking about calories because I know exactly what I'm consuming.

I did this throughout my weight loss. I plan similarly now in maintenance, except that I allow for some changes, and adjust accordingly during the day. This doesn't happen often, but I try to be flexible. Counting doesn't bother me when I do this.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:09 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I have anxiety with NOT counting, but I'm working on that!

I know the calorie counts of almost everything, especially my "regular" foods, but I still track it all, and it's wearing on me, so I understand what you're saying. If you're able to step away from it and still know that you're within your counts, go for it.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:50 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I have not counted UDs since my first month. I basically know the calorie counts of most things I eat, but I don't track or count in an offical way on UD.

I track very, very, carefully on DDs, but in maintenance that is only twice per week so I'm not bothered by it.

I really never had an issue with overeating (while awake) so overeating on UDs was not a concern for me.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:13 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I count as I go. I have found that if I plan ahead for a UD, I end up not following the plan. I pretty much know, too, what's in everything that I eat, but I sometimes eat higher calorie foods that I know will put me over. Not always, but sometimes...and I also sometimes resent having to be so careful and strict, so I know what you mean. If I always ate the same things, I doubt it would be necessary to count. Try it and see how it goes.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:24 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Constant counting and focus on food drives me right into binge behavior. However, if I can find a few repeatable meals that satisfy me I would like to do that most of the time. Sort of like human kibble. Just to know that everything I need is in there and not to have to think about it. Leave the truly wonderful stuff for special occasions.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:26 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Smart one entrees or lean cuisine entrees are pre-measured

I know that cucumber, lettuce, celery and pickles are 4 calories per ounce so I can chop that all up and weigh out however many ounces I want. 5 ounces of the mix is filling with half a hard boiled egg or half and ounce of turkey pepperoni for 55 calories. This is one of my easy staples.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:08 PM   #8
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I wonder if anyone has done JUDDD like the HCG protocol. They get x number of specific fruits and vegetables, x ounces of lean protein and a small amount of starch. I don't think calorie counting is part of it, but I bet it is pretty low and constant. People come up with some very original recipes and combinations with their allowed foods.

That might be better if calorie counting leads to anxiety.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:03 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Counting calories was weirdly comforting for me for about the first year of JUDDDing. But then it became tiresome and UDs became a struggle, partly because of being sick of counting, and partly because my UD calories had gotten so much lower than they were in the early days before I had lost so much.

Also the pre-planning was a given for the first year. I planned out what I was going to eat the next day, and that's what I ate. Then I got kind of loosey-goosey with that, and that didn't work for me.

I would love to be able to NOT count on UDs, and am working toward that being a viable option for me.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:48 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UtahDesert
Stats: 170?/124/125
WOE: JUDDD/IE
Start Date: 1/27/2014
I haven't been really counting on UDs. Closely counting calories is just not something I'm willing to do. This means it's possible my plateaus so far (that I apparently took myself off of by low-carbing it) could have been the result of either too many calories or too few, or something else entirely. I did start reading the calorie content on some prepackaged foods I'd been eating regularly, and changed my choices. (Trader Joe's chicken salads were horrific.)

But on DDs I do know exactly how many calories each time--oddly enough because for the last couple months I've been very lazy on DDs. All I ever eat is a Questbar, a stick of the Ostrim jerky, or maybe both. I consider those food-free days in that I'm free from the bother of preparing and dealing with food. At some point, usually in the afternoon, I have the bar or the jerky to keep me going and to calm the hunger pangs, and that's it.
UtahDesert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:53 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
I have never counted at all. If I’d had to count, I don’t think I would have started. I counted one down day, just to see how it looked, but the appeal of doing this is that I can be more relaxed about my food and still control my weight, and I wouldn’t feel that if I had to weigh and measure everything.
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:18 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
I count on DD's and I never have a problem sticking to my cals. UD's are a problem for me. I may start out with a menu planned for any given UD, but by the end of the day, it has gone out the window. For me I think it is a psychological thing for me. I think I HAVE to eat on UD whether I want to or not. I have always had this fear of something happening to where I will never be able to eat something I like again. And that has happened alot. I would put off eating at a favorite restaurant saying "I'll eat there another time" only to have the place go out (literally) overnight. Or a favorite treat I might not get at the store on a certain occasion saying "I'll get that next time" to end up never being able to find it ever again (macaroni and cheese loaf was my favorite lunch meat and I can't find it ANYWHERE anymore). So my UD's are like a frenzy for me to eat alot of my favorites because that has happened to me so much. Trying to overcome that though.
~~~
Do not reward yourself with food, you're not a dog
~~~
Your great granny's granny had a term for healthy food...she called it food
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmmaLiza
Stats: 240/155/125
WOE: LC: 70 lb; JUDDD: 15 lb
Start Date: LC: Apr 2012; JUDDD: Feb 2014
To the general question of counting, yes, it does give me anxiety--sometimes a lot. I feel pressure around it, but I just try (to borrow from Robert Frost) to consider it "working easy in the harness." When I can't, and I take a day off, I find I miss the control and knowledge that counting gives me. I'm a dichotomy. Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonica View Post
I count on DD's and I never have a problem sticking to my cals. UD's are a problem for me. I may start out with a menu planned for any given UD, but by the end of the day, it has gone out the window. For me I think it is a psychological thing for me. I think I HAVE to eat on UD whether I want to or not. I have always had this fear of something happening to where I will never be able to eat something I like again. And that has happened alot. I would put off eating at a favorite restaurant saying "I'll eat there another time" only to have the place go out (literally) overnight. Or a favorite treat I might not get at the store on a certain occasion saying "I'll get that next time" to end up never being able to find it ever again (macaroni and cheese loaf was my favorite lunch meat and I can't find it ANYWHERE anymore). So my UD's are like a frenzy for me to eat alot of my favorites because that has happened to me so much. Trying to overcome that though.
It's been a bit of a come-down to live with the fact that up days are controlled, too. I mean, the idea of controlled up days was fine; the living it out was much harder than I thought it would be.

But it seems the up-day frenzy is part of the way one gets used to the diet. Just like not being hungry on up days or having to force yourself to eat on up days, overeating on up days sometimes is probably inevitable. At first, I thought it meant the diet wasn't for me, but I would wake up the next day after a big ol' day of eating and realize I was "up" for a down day, after all. I missed them when I didn't have them, and that's what convinced me to keep trying.
EmmaLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:02 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladybarometer
Stats: 219/188/160
WOE: Low Carb (Less than 30 total a day)
Start Date: Always Ongoing it seems
I feel anxiety with counting because I feel restricted, and when I feel restricted I want to binge - oddly enough, I can control this on DDs, but for some reason it's tougher on UDs - maybe because I don't expect to feel restricted?

I do count a day ahead most of the time.

Yesterday I didn't count at all - I started to, but then changed my mind, and the anxiety went away. I concentrated on my work, had the snacks I brought, but not even all of them, and had a regular dinner which was delicious.

I think I may limit to counting on DDs for a while and see how that does.
ladybarometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:08 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
When I first started low carb, I saw that some people were counting calories and asked about it. I was told that the recommendations was that you count calories if not counting them isn’t working. I take the same approach with intermittent fasting. If I can control my weight without counting, I’ll do that. If that isn’t working, then I might need to start counting at some point, but it isn’t where I start.
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:25 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybarometer View Post

Yesterday I didn't count at all - I started to, but then changed my mind, and the anxiety went away. I concentrated on my work, had the snacks I brought, but not even all of them, and had a regular dinner which was delicious.

I think I may limit to counting on DDs for a while and see how that does.
It sounds like you might be one of the lucky people who can control their eating without counting the calories. If it works, why mess with it?

I feel restricted counting calories too, but I've made peace with the fact that I need restriction or I overeat. But if I could manage to stop myself without overeating, I'd avoid the calorie counting too, for sure.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:04 PM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Smart one entrees or lean cuisine entrees are pre-measured

I know that cucumber, lettuce, celery and pickles are 4 calories per ounce so I can chop that all up and weigh out however many ounces I want. 5 ounces of the mix is filling with half a hard boiled egg or half and ounce of turkey pepperoni for 55 calories. This is one of my easy staples.
That's for DDs though right? I think she was talking about UDs. I definitely count my DDs too, even though I *might* fudge a little on UDs.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: 8/18/14
I keep half an eye on my UD calories only because I have a hard time eating up to them. Back when I first did JUDDD ('07), I did a 4:3 schedule, Saturday was always an UD, Sunday a MD, counted only on DDs, and ate what I wanted on an UD (wasn't low carb back at that point either). Was losing quite well until a vacation slammed me.

I'm so tired of changing diet plans more than my underwear. I really need to just go back to what worked before and hope it kicks in at some point. The JB's know I've struggled with it working me and I want it to work, dagnabbit!!!!

Yes, I'm going to track every loss when I get it!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:03 PM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
That's for DDs though right? I think she was talking about UDs. I definitely count my DDs too, even though I *might* fudge a little on UDs.
Well, I actually use the salad combo for my T and Th UD lunch and put full fat ranch dressing and croutons on it then. I just put vinegar on the veggie mix for DD.