Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2014, 08:34 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
What did you give up?

What did you give up when you decided to embark on your weight loss journey? Specifically - was there something that you either consciously or through attrition eliminated from your routine?

For me, it was specialty coffee drinks. I used to get a latte or a mocha at least 2-3 times per week. Or sometimes smoothies from the coffee stand. I love peppermint mochas, and there is a place by my work that makes a killer mango smoothie. But when I started JUDDDing, I cut both those out because they were too many calories for a DD, and didnt want to "waste" calories on an UD. In fact, last Christmas, I allowed myself one single peppermint mocha and it was the first one I'd had in almost a year.

I find I don't really miss them as I adore my coffee with SF vanilla syrup and HWC. As summer approaches I may find myself craving a mango smoothie but, truth be told, traffic is arranged such that actually physically getting to said coffee stand is kind of a pain in the backside, so that is enough of a deterrent for me to skip them as well.

So I am wondering, is there anything you can look back on and realize - yep, I don't eat/drink that anymore since starting on the path.

Just curious. Thought it might be kinda fun to see what folks come up with.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I can't say I gave any one thing up. I make choices on a day to day basis about what is worthy or not worthy of my calories. I have been eyeing the chedder jack bagel at Dunkin Donuts, but for 410 calories have yet to try it. I can't say I'll never try it, but 410 is almost 1/3 of my UD calories so for now I'm opting out.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:08 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I also can't say that I gave up anything permanently. I make better choices, and I'm actually glad that I don't eat high calories foods/drinks *every* day or even every other day now.

This *is* an interesting question.

ETA: I *am* less likely to "settle" for something that isn't all that great on UDs, whereas when I wasn't dieting I would just eat something to settle my hunger sometimes. Now I'm much pickier.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 04-26-2014 at 04:11 AM..
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:29 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
No, I make sure I eat whatever I want, in fact. The minute I start telling myself I can't have a certain food I love, I am doomed to become resentful and regain. I tell myself I can have whatever I am craving, and then incorporate it in to my daily calories. I agree with Carly, though, sometimes knowing the calorie count of something will naturally prevent me from the desired food, but sometimes not.

Last edited by Flutter; 04-26-2014 at 05:30 AM..
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:50 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammyann
Stats: 162/140.5/maintain 135-139
Start Date: March 2012 re-start Dec. 2012
I haven't given up anything, which is why I love JUDDD SO MUCH.
Sammyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:34 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Hmmm, well I haven't given anything up 100%, but I will have to say that I gave up sandwiches for the most part. I was in a major "sandwich for lunch" routine right before I started seriously low carbing again in January 2012. Ham and cheese, salami and cheese, chicken salad, tuna salad, PBJ. I loved it all.

Since starting JUDDD I have allowed all food groups back, but I still mostly avoid "useless" carbs when I can, so only an occasional sandwich for me nowadays, and it must be really good bread. I still eat the fillings with lettuce a lot of the time though! It's the best part anyway!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:54 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brehede
Stats: 283/264/140
WOE: LC JUDDD
Start Date: January 2012
That is a good question! One problem I found with moving from LC to JUDDD was crisps / potato chips. I gave them up since I can never eat only a small portion but gradually started to eat other type of chips like nachos etc. I have given them all up for now, the longer it gets the easier it is since I don't want to break my record!

Now I think I need to do the same for chocolate....

Dee
brehede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:13 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
I gave up eating a "sleeve" of cookies instead of just savoring 1 or 2. I gave up eating a dozen donuts at one sitting every so often instead of just enjoying 1. I gave up eating a plateful of carbs (i.e., mounds of spaghetti with NO protein or any veg with it. Just pure BS- raising carbs).

So, yeah, I gave up "good" stuff; but stuff that I was eating unhealthily and not enjoying anyway. I have learned/am learning how to still be able to eat those things but in a different way.
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:15 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I never consciously decided to stop eating anything. That was part of the magic of JUDDD - if I wanted it, I could budget it into my calories.

However, in the process of budgeting calories, I realize have not had a frappe-type drink in almost two years. Once upon a time I drank those every chance I got! And even on a planned UUAD, I tend to eat to smaller portions to taste and hunger instead of eating myself sick (gosh, I do not miss that over-stuffed feeling!).
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/160.8/165
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
I gave up ice cream, but not consciously. It just isn't worth the calorie count and I don't like 'substitutes for the real thing'.
I love knowing I can have it if I want it and that makes it ok.
hugs and thanks for the great question.
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:06 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
I've explicitly given up nothing. In practice, few tricky foodstuffs are worth the kcals or carb count so I've effectively given up: rice, pasta, bread, cake, biscuits/cookies, all but sugar-free confectionery or TicTacs, mangoes, potatoes. I rarely ever ate ice-cream and I'm fortunate enough never to have wanted a creamy coffee drink or similar.

One of the major pests about eating a high fat, moderate protein, low-ish carb diet is that I eat too much cheese. I should shift to avocado and nuts and away from hard cheese but I'm very fond of it and to some extent it compensates for everything else that I now rarely eat.

Thinking about this a little more - I've given up 'complex' meals. I used to schedule a curry night of some sort once a week. I'd serve say, a chicken and cardamom dish, an aubergine and tomato dish, a dhal or chickpea curry and a cashew curry with a range of accompaniments. It would be horrible to try and work out the kcal and carb counts of manageable portions for each of these - so, I don't do this sort of meal any more.

Now, pretty much everything I prepare is in tapas size portions (except for the cheese ) and very simple (to calculate).

Sept 2014 A recent DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:04 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
mmmmm ..... I think I am going to have to look up chicken & cardamon recipes. That sounds good!

But, I know what you mean. These days my meals are very simple...and usually involve cheese AND avocado (varying amounts, depending on what day it is).

Last edited by gotsomeold; 04-28-2014 at 04:06 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:21 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladybarometer
Stats: 219/188/160
WOE: Low Carb (Less than 30 total a day)
Start Date: Always Ongoing it seems
I haven't given up anything completely. Every once in a blue moon I may give up starch, but it doesn't effect my weight loss, so I never know why I keep going back to that torture. There are things I try to do better like eat less junk food, eat more veggies, fry less food, ect...

This is why I enjoy JUDDDing - no guilt, and no giving up your favs!
ladybarometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmmaLiza
Stats: 240/155/125
WOE: LC: 70 lb; JUDDD: 15 lb
Start Date: LC: Apr 2012; JUDDD: Feb 2014
Real coke. Butter. Margaritas. Glasses of milk.
Even on up days, I'd rather chew my calories.

Seriously, what I "gave up" is probably the experience of losing quickly, like I did on low carb. The reason I don't feel that this was a true trade-off, though, is that I had plateaued for MONTHS and I don't know that I could have lost any more with low carb at that point. Maybe I can try it again in a while, but I currently have no desire to do that. I'm pretty happy with calorie cycling, even with the less than a pound a week loss. At least it's loss.
EmmaLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:09 PM   #15
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
I See Horse People! Come on over to the horse lover's thread (see my siggy.) We need more members.

I can't weigh in on this topic cause I'm just now (once again) trying to get it together. I wish I could make JUDDD work for me but I tend to find the UD's very difficult. I want them to be all-the-way UD's.
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

This is way off topic, but I never realized that real, normal, people own horses.
Just call me a city girl.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:30 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wiiiifit
Stats: 20/12/8
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 2012
I made choices and changed habits but I havent given up anything 100%. The closest thing is probably regular Mountain Dew which I exchanged for Diet Dew first and then mostly sparkling water. This is the most significant habit I changed...I dont ever buy sodas to keep at home. Not regular or diet. I think I have had a regular Mountain Dew 3 times over the last two years at a restaurant where diet wasnt available and I just really, really wanted something fizzy. I still have Diet Dew about once or twice a week.

When I was trying to quit the daily soda habit, there were times when I would literally go out in a blizzard to get my fix. Now, I still like the fizzy but most times even if I am out I will just buy a liter of strawberry sparkling water. I can keep this in the house. It satisfies the need for fizzy without me getting addictive about it. The one liter lasts me a whole week or longer. It actually gets flat because usually a sip or two of something fizzy is all I actually want now. It is progress but not obsession. If we got out for pizza on the weekend or to a restaurant I would have a Diet Dew without feeling any guilt.

Last edited by wiiiifit; 04-29-2014 at 12:31 AM..
wiiiifit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:58 AM   #18
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I have never considered the term 'given up' applicable to my WOE.

I began by limiting carb solely because I'm very sensitive to carbs and remaining low carb is the only way I can manage my weight, even now 4 years into maintenance.

To control the pain of my arthritis, I did a couple of elimination diets and subsequently eliminated all grains and dairy--although I will very occasionally have some cheese or yoghurt (small enough quantity and rarely enough to keep my pain under control).

I eat as I choose for overall health and weight management, and I just don't think in terms of 'giving up' anything. I focus on making positive choices for myself. I never feel deprived; I am fulfilled by my personal WOE.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:55 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UtahDesert
Stats: 170?/124/125
WOE: JUDDD/IE
Start Date: 1/27/2014
I've given up the chicken tenders that I used to buy at my local supermarket. For the last couple years I've had spells where I would have them several times a week for meals eaten alone. But I haven't touched them since I started intermittent fasting in January. I look at them now as kind of "depression" food, and lately I just don't have the urge for them. On the other hand I did pick up Popeye's fried chicken at the airport on my way back from a trip last month. (There are only three Popeye's restaurants in my entire state--one's on an air force base, one's 27 miles away, and one is inside airport security.) I flew on a down day, so I saved it for breakfast the next day--heavenly.

I've also given up figs and dates temporarily, about a month or so ago, since I was eating too many of them on up days--sort of a constant munching kind of thing. I aspire to being able to eat them in moderation. Panforte too. I love it to pieces, and I hadn't touched it for years, but I picked up some and was having it on up days until I realized I was stuck on a plateau.

I could live the rest of my life without cruddy supermarket chicken tenders dipped in mayonnaise/mustard sauce, but I hope that I can learn to eat figs, dates, and panforte in moderation. Eating in moderation is also so much cheaper, especially when you have a taste for the pricey stuff.
UtahDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:34 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
This is way off topic, but I never realized that real, normal, people own horses.
Real, yes. Normal...um...I don't know that I can lay claim to that one.
I bet my husband wishes I didn't own horses...4 horses...
(Okay, 3 horses, 1 pony)
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:57 AM   #21
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Real, yes. Normal...um...I don't know that I can lay claim to that one.
I bet my husband wishes I didn't own horses...4 horses...
(Okay, 3 horses, 1 pony)
I grew up with horses, too, and my brother and his family have several. I totally agree with you Yennie. Real, yes. Normal, not so much!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:18 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
This just has me LOLing like crazy.
I personally think we horse lovers are normal but never average!
Or as normal as we would want to be. Who wants too much of that, right?
Old 04-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

I live in a really big 2 bedroom apartment, at least by NY standards. I don't even have a balcony though, so the thought of owning enough space to house a horse is like to me. When I was a kid, the really rich kids got horseback riding lessons, but most of them didn't actually own a horse.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Carly,

I boarded my horse and when I get a new one, will do the same. It's really handy to board where you take lessons or trail ride or whatever you most often do, so you don't need to trailer. Down here, land is not as expensive as other places, but while I wouldn't mind owning enough land to keep a couple of horses, I really don't want to take care of said land--bush hogging and fence mending, etc. Also, I like being somewhere that has an arena and woods to ride in and friends to ride with. The county I live in has a huge number of horses per capita and boarding places are plentiful and thus not too expensive.

I've always had a fantasy to live in a super urban place, in a high rise apartment or historical building from the 1800s. I've visited Berlin three times, staying in my sister's apartment, and I LOVE walking out the door to a cafe or store or metro station. I love the buzz that cities have, the different languages you hear as you walk down the street. The unexpected parks and tiny restaurants and bakeries and shops that you might only see or explore as a pedestrian. The people watching in a big city is a full time hobby.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:51 PM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I love reading about city living. I think it would be pretty cool to walk out of your door and buy coffee down the street. Also, all the things available to do! I've never owned a horse, but I have always had a yard and pretty rural surroundings.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:45 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: angie1
Stats: 176/173.8/155 - 5'5
WOE: JUDDD*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammyann View Post
I haven't given up anything, which is why I love JUDDD SO MUCH.
Same! This is the reason I love this WOE because I can eat whatever I want every other day and still lose weight and a good pace
angie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:18 PM   #27
Big Yapper!!!!

Tonight we walked to Wal-mart for soda and to Panera bread for a soup bowl for DW and an Asian sesame salad for me. We can walk down the block in one direction and be at Dunkin Donuts and in the other direction Starbucks. Loads of great restaurants, many we just simply haven't had the chance to try. I'm too scared to get on a horse at this point in my life, but I bet it would be fun.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:45 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
Start Date: 2/16/2013
Carly my best friend is the manager at the Panera by you. I stopped by to pick her up last night. Wonder if I just missed you guys. I LOVE their mac & cheese by the way.

I don't think I actually gave up anything, but I'm much more aware of what I put in my mouth. For example, I've always enjoyed cinnabon every so often. I now realize that one of those buns is almost 1000 calories. is it worth it to me on an UD? Absolutely not! Would I split one with someone if I was craving it? Absolutely!

What I like so much about JUDDD is that I can still eat my favorites, but in moderation.

"You can always take the easy way out & give up but real strength comes when you decide to keep pushing no matter what the circumstances are."
LiLi914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:12 AM   #29
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLi914 View Post
Carly my best friend is the manager at the Panera by you. I stopped by to pick her up last night. Wonder if I just missed you guys. I LOVE their mac & cheese by the way.

I don't think I actually gave up anything, but I'm much more aware of what I put in my mouth. For example, I've always enjoyed cinnabon every so often. I now realize that one of those buns is almost 1000 calories. is it worth it to me on an UD? Absolutely not! Would I split one with someone if I was craving it? Absolutely!

What I like so much about JUDDD is that I can still eat my favorites, but in moderation.
We were there around 8pm.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:03 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLi914 View Post

I've always had a lot of trouble with moderation. I have a slight tendency towards binge/purge, with a lot more emphasis on the binge. JUDDD helps me tremendously in containing the binge. While I don't have too much trouble in the short term, my history is to completely give up and binge every day for days/weeks. For several years, I refused to diet in any way, so as not to set that off. However, I gained weight anyway.

So far and fingers crossed, since I've been on JUDDD, that has not happened--all my UUADs have been confined to one day. I know I have a quick way back into my diet--a down day--no waiting for ketosis, etc., and that is very motivating.