Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 06:46 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: crazynanc
Stats: 148/144/113
WOE: JUDDD/FastFive/5:2
Start Date: November 2011
My scale lies!

So I've been weighing myself with the scale I have in my bathroom. After a few good rotations, I felt lighter (does anyone else feel that after a woosh?) I happily weighed myself and saw I was down 2 pounds! Yay!

Unfortunately....I weighed myself with a real scale like they have in the doctors office when I went to the gym and I was 7 pounds heavier than I thought.

Obviously my scale now needs to go. I put in a new battery but it was still off. Any good recommendations for scales?
crazynanc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2014, 07:43 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I don't know if my attitude toward scale weight is "evolving", or if I'm just too cheap and lazy to think about getting a new scale, but to me, I don't really care if my scale matches the big professional ones or not. Mine has always been several pounds "lighter" than the one at doctors' offices, but I'm okay with that. I don't need to know exactly what I weigh at any given moment. What I do want to see is whether the numbers are getting bigger or smaller. Whether I'm gaining, losing, or maintaining.

As long as you're able to reconcile your weight on any given scale with your own scale, I'd just stick with it. But that's just me....

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:47 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12

Yep, my scale is "kinder" than my doctor's scale, too. However, it still shows losses accurately, so I don't really care.
Flutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:48 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
I think Carol's got the right attitude. As long as your scale is accurate against itself (meaning if you weigh yourself holding a five pound weight, it reads five pounds heavier), then you'll see the downward trend. And personally I would enjoy owning the scale that reads the lowest! Plus, if you weighed yourself in the middle of the day at the doctor or the gym, or had additional clothes on, it could cause it to be higher.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:13 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/124.2/122-125
WOE: Chronic Experimenter
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee View Post
I think Carol's got the right attitude. As long as your scale is accurate against itself (meaning if you weigh yourself holding a five pound weight, it reads five pounds heavier), then you'll see the downward trend. And personally I would enjoy owning the scale that reads the lowest! Plus, if you weighed yourself in the middle of the day at the doctor or the gym, or had additional clothes on, it could cause it to be higher.
Plus any food or drink you may have had.
CarolinaCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladybarometer
Stats: 219/188/160
WOE: Low Carb (Less than 30 total a day)
Start Date: Always Ongoing it seems
Only rely on your own scale, that's what I do. No matter which scale is actually right, at least you know how much you are losing.

I weight 4 lbs heavier at one doctor, 2 lbs more at another. So many people step on the scale every day, I can't imagine it's calibrated properly.
ladybarometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:09 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Jumping in to agree. As long as you use the same scale in approximately the same place and circumstances it should show the corrrct trrnd.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I don't know how, but my scale is exactly the same as my doctor(s). I give myself a lb or two over my morning weight on days I'm fasting because of clothes and it is the same as mine. However, I agree with everyone--consistency is most important, and you will see lbs lost on the scale you have.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Did you weigh after you worked out? Is the gym scale calibrated periodically? I think you got some very good advice here.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:37 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mafiamom
Stats: 5'2" 131.7 (4/21/14)
WOE: JUDDD 1810/350
Start Date: 10/15/13
since i weight myself totally naked (yes, even the earrings come off) a gym scale would totally show a higher number. perhaps you were too clothed? different time of day? bigger meal? so many variables. i would go with your scale at home. just make sure it's true, as the other ladies said.
mafiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:52 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladybarometer
Stats: 219/188/160
WOE: Low Carb (Less than 30 total a day)
Start Date: Always Ongoing it seems
Oh! I weighed at my mom's doctor this past week, and just so you know - there was a 8 pound difference!! I could understand 3-4 lbs for clothes, no shoes, but 8?! I hadn't even touched food or water yet that day >_<
ladybarometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
How do you know that "professional" scales likes the ones at dr. offices and gyms (my gym has them too) are MEANT to be accurate? I think they are designed to show you heavier than you really are to either motivate you or give doctors an excuse to nag about your weight.

It's a conspiracy I tell you!!
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:56 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DrwhoTardisRose
Stats: Start/168/current/139/goal/120
Start Date: January 1, 2014
I think the most accurate weight is first thing in the morning without clothes...plus your the only one using that scale. The ones at the doctor have lots of people on it everyday I doubt they are all that accurate. One thing that might help you check your scale is take a 10 pound hand weight and put it on your scale...that should give you an idea if your scale is on the money.
DrwhoTardisRose is offline   Reply With Quote