Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 08:34 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: phoenix17
Stats: 196/?(not looking for a while)/150
WOE: LC, MF and now JUDDD
gluten or other food sensitivity/allergy?

Hi all,
My question is if anyone has any information to share on gluten sensitivity or any other food sensitivities. By this I don't mean obvious intolerance as in IBS or celiac's, but more subtle symptoms. I am wondering how you discovered it and what a difference it has made to you.

I've been really struggling lately with fatigue, bloating, congestion and even heart palpitations among other things and all of it has kept me from being able to stick to JUDDDing and exercising. I am tired of being tired!!! I was talking with a coworker recently who said she had been feeling similar and just generally "unwell" so she decided to try gluten free and since then she has felt better. But she did not get any sort of testing done and she also did not suffer from what most people relate to gluten intolerance which is the rather severe GI symptoms. I did a little research and among the wealth of information out there, there are several sources that state that food allergies/sensitivities can cause all of the above (this includes sensitivity to gluten, wheat (alone), fructose, lactose, and more) but so can a whole host of other things.

So I am hoping to get more information from personal experiences. I know the way to work on this is to do an elimination diet and if anyone has done that I hope you will share your experiences.

Thanks in advance for any information you are willing to share!
phoenix17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I am sensitive to gluten and dairy.

The gluten I figured out about 6-7 years ago. A friend's doctor told her she should cut out gluten and as she was describing her symptoms I thought, "I have that. I have that. That one too" so I cut it out. Within a week I had gone down a shoe size from losing the inflammation. I felt generally better and less bloated.

The biggest thing was my skin cleared up. I had been going to doctors for years for rosacea. I was taking daily antibiotics and using rx creams. The treatments would kind of hold it at bay, but never fully cleared it up. I got tons of yeast infections (probably from the antibiotics). Since giving up gluten it is completely gone.

Dairy is a recent discovery. I was running regularly and training for a bunch of races from 5Ks to a marathon. Running was never "easy" but if I worked at it and was consistent with my training I could build endurance and could literally run for hours. I got sick one winter with a chest cold. I didn't run for about two weeks. When I was better and went back to running I had lost most of my endurance- I couldn't keep my breath and run more than a few minutes. I thought it was the break, so I backed up my training and thought I could rebuild like I had done before. Nope.

I went to the first doctor and got the "as we get older" speech. I went to a second doctor and got an inhaler. I even went to an acupuncturist. Nothing. I kept running intervals with the inhaler, but it was never the same. I eventually needed surgery on my foot, so running was off the table for over a year anyway.

In the midst of all this, my son had developed a very similar problem. He was in the middle of wrestling season and had been doing well (wrestling is an intense sport and their training is brutal), but then all of a sudden couldn't catch his breath. I took him to the doctors too and he got the same inhaler I did. Not good enough. I told him I thought it might be an allergy. He was willing to try about anything at that point. I told him the most common allergies are gluten, dairy and eggs. He decided to start with gluten since it bothers me- Bingo. No gluten, no trouble breathing. He is 17 and hasn't given it up completely. He times his gluten around activities.

So I start thinking about my breathing problem again (I am fine to walk around and do just about anything but run) and figure it could be an allergy like my son. Not gluten because I had already been off that for years when the problem started. I had some blood allergy testing and my dairy reaction was off the chart. I thought that was strange since I didn't think I had any reaction to it, but when I keep away from dairy within two days air starts feeling "slippery" when I breathe. I can run or climb stairs- I get out of breath, but it is a normal "out of breath" not "I don't have any oxygen and am going to faint."

Giving up dairy also seems to have helped stop the intense cravings I would have after dinner every night. I still like chocolate, but I am not prowling around the kitchen like a zombie opening drawers and cabinets looking for a fix all evening. That has been huge for being able to stick with JUDDD.

Sorry for the novel, but figuring this stuff out has made such a difference to my quality of life. Good luck.

3/24/14- She is Beautiful 10k- I won!, 7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won!
9/14/14- Title 9K- I won!
11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Phoenix, do you mind me asking your age? Those symptoms are also symptoms of menopause.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:26 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I found myself having what seemed like a flu: suddenly exhausted, aching joints, puffing up with fluid, had to take a nap (unusual for me). It came and went. Took me about a week to realize it only came after eating eggs.

So, I stopped eggs and the flu stopped. Recently, I accidentally ate something with egg in it. Had a whole matrix of symptoms culminating in whole body hives. Eggs and I have now agreed to disagree.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
I found myself having what seemed like a flu: suddenly exhausted, aching joints, puffing up with fluid, had to take a nap (unusual for me). It came and went. Took me about a week to realize it only came after eating eggs.

So, I stopped eggs and the flu stopped. Recently, I accidentally ate something with egg in it. Had a whole matrix of symptoms culminating in whole body hives. Eggs and I have now agreed to disagree.
Oh man, I have those same symptoms sometimes. It feels a lot like when you have a flu virus and can feel the pain running through all your muscles? And I get super tired and achy and foggy headed. I've suspected it's a food allergy but I'm almost afraid to figure out what it might be. I don't think I could live without eggs, gluten or dairy!
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:05 PM   #6
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee View Post
I've suspected it's a food allergy but I'm almost afraid to figure out what it might be. I don't think I could live without eggs, gluten or dairy!
I felt that way about dairy too, but breathing freely is so nice I have gotten over it.

It was very hard at first, but as time goes on you find replacements for what you are used to and it gets easier.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Yes, a lot of things get better if I stay away from wheat and dairy. However the downside is when avoiding toally for a while it does hit me like the flu if I get some. When o have it always in th diet, no extreme reaction. I do eat both now because it is easier butfor years was wheat and dairy free with definate improvement. I just used the elimination diet to determine the culprits.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:24 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
I felt that way about dairy too, but breathing freely is so nice I have gotten over it.

It was very hard at first, but as time goes on you find replacements for what you are used to and it gets easier.
Gina, do you have dairy replacements you use? I fear it might be dairy since I feel this way even on DD's when all I've had is some cream in my coffee.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:26 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post

Gina, do you have dairy replacements you use? I fear it might be dairy since I feel this way even on DD's when all I've had is some cream in my coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Yes, a lot of things get better if I stay away from wheat and dairy. However the downside is when avoiding toally for a while it does hit me like the flu if I get some. When o have it always in th diet, no extreme reaction. I do eat both now because it is easier butfor years was wheat and dairy free with definate improvement. I just used the elimination diet to determine the culprits.
I printed out an elimination diet once and it seemed really intense. Did you just eliminate each food at a spell and see if you improved?
Old 04-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #10
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I use canned coconut cream in my coffee (I prefer the Whole Foods brand because it has stabilizers).

If I want ice cream I have Trader Joe's coconut milk ice cream or TJ's frozen chocolate banana slices. There is a SF coconut milk ice cream too. Look for dark chocolate, but check labels. They add milk to some anyway.

One thing that was very difficult is salad dressing- ranch is my favorite. I have started making homemade thousand island (which was my favorite as a kid). I do homemade because store bought brands have HFCS and soybean oil. I use a SF FF vinnegrate on DDs.

You can find vegan sour cream and cream cheese. I bought them and they are just OK. I haven't found a good cheddar or jack cheese replacement. I try to stay away from soy, so that limits my choices.

I have found certain foods were just habits. Once I broke the habit it wasn't such a big deal.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Quote:

I printed out an elimination diet once and it seemed really intense. Did you just eliminate each food at a spell and see if you improved?
Sorry. You have to eliminate all the 7 or 9 (I forget) common allergens together until you are symptom free. Then add back one at a time until symptoms appear. Then take out the suspect again and continue adding back others to see if there is another one. Each time go back to the symptom free position then when you think you know all the symptom causers, test each again seperately. It takes quite a while to test the whole groip.of common allergens. This is different than testing for gluten intolerance which is much more difficult to manage.

Last edited by cici52; 04-18-2014 at 03:23 PM..
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:10 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I gave up grains/gluten a couple of years ago...and saw an improvement in overall feeling and deflated a lot of inflammation I did not know I had.

But, giving up eggs has been torture (I love LC quiche). But, wow, losing that total-collapse flu feeling is great.

Right now, I don't think I have any symptoms to worry about. Golly, I really love my coffee and HWC. I hope I get to keep it!
Old 04-18-2014, 04:14 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I didn't mean to sound facetious, but tiredness and heart palpitations really are some symptoms of menopause. I hope you find out the culprit and feel better soon!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:36 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone for your input. Cindy I didn't think you were being facetious and you are right in that I can't rule out menopause for some things (I'm mid-40s and my mom went thru it early), but there is also the congestion and the trouble breathing - sounds a lot like what Gina Nancy and Cici described with feeling like the flu or otherwise like being sick. I sit here now completely congested and I had a couple of beers last night - I nearly always get congested after consuming beer and also after eating.

I admit to being in a little bit of denial because I don't want to have to avoid gluten because I love gluten containing foods!!! But something has to change... so I think I am going to have to try that elimination diet. it will not be easy!!
Old 04-19-2014, 07:30 PM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Many years ago I experienced extreme fatigue and I could fall asleep in a heartbeat. I was also having some respiratory issues so my family doctor sent me for allergy testing. Turned out I was allergic to squash and I had a huge garden with four different kinds of squash and I was eating it twice a day. Baked, boiled, steamed, sautéed, raw. You name it. I also found out I was allergic to wheat, mushrooms, beets, turnips, carrots in addition to the squash. Explained why I would get really sick at times and throw up for hours on end. I had kept a food dairy for years since I felt it had something to do with what I had eaten. Combination of wheat and mushrooms was the culprit.
So fatigue can mean a food allergy.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: reptogirl
Stats: 333.2/317.2/ next weigh in 5/19
WOE: Induction 72
Start Date: March 30 2014
I didn't have gi issues with gluten, since I was a kid after I ate I would get hateful and mean, in think as a kid it was irritability but I don't remember, mom told me she always thought I had a food allergy but just never did look into it, cut gluten out..my anger and anxiety has gone down a lot , I was to the point where I couldn't stand to have anyone near me would just make me nervous, I still have the red face, I don't know if it's another food allergy or if I'm just stuck with it, some of my cousins have it too, as did my grandpa. It also helped some with energy, wasn't needing as much naps...I am now 20 days into no grains at all and no sugar, it has improved me even more.
reptogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:06 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LCSassy
Stats: 260/165/135
WOE: Atkins/ NK
Start Date: Jan 2011
gluten problems myself

I had diarrhea everyday (sorry I know thats gross) until I started low carb. It turns out it was the wheat and sugar. At one time I thought it was lactose intolerance, until cutting out milk didn't help the gas and diarrhea. Atkins fixed that. After years of always having to know where the nearest bathroom was, I don't have to anymore! The wheat problem has gotten worse, as I get itchy scalp and behind my ears after eating wheat for a few days minimum. It also makes my bipolar way worse. Moods are more even keel without that cursed wheat! I can't eat the low carb baking products as all I have found have wheat in it. Very frustrating, but I deal with it. Not sure if it is an allergy or an intolerance. Testing for it seems pointless, and rather expensive. I know I cannot eat it, so I try my best to avoid it. During this low carb WOE I have developed an allergy to flaxseed. I get a symmetrical rash on my arms when I eat it now, and always gave me an itchy scratchy throat. I was unaware the throat thing was allergy warning sign at the time. I used to eat the MIMs all the time, and I do miss them. I make almond flour ones, but not often. I recently made coconut flour almond flour pancakes, which are really good. They were soft too. But I don't eat those everyday. I have made coconut flour cupcakes too. So glad I haven't developed an allergy to nuts or coconut. I am also allergic to stevia. Which sucks, as it was kinda growing on me. Didn't mind the slight bitterness, as I like bitter things like unsweetened cocoa. But back to using splenda I went. Sugar alcohols are okay, for baking. Not an everyday thing IMO.

Anyways, so gluten/ wheat, flax, and stevia are my problem foods. But keeps me low carb pretty well. Hard to avoid wheat and flax on a regular diet. As a lot of them advocate lots of wheat and fiber (especially flax).
LCSassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:30 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Recognizing and eliminating food intolerance/allergy can lead to huge, quality-of-life changes.

Some of the changes are more subtle. Little things, hardly or not noticed, leave too. I realized the other day that my BACK itches a lot less since I stopped eggs. It was never a problem - just an irritant - now it is gone.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:29 AM   #19
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Recognizing and eliminating food intolerance/allergy can lead to huge, quality-of-life changes.

Some of the changes are more subtle. Little things, hardly or not noticed, leave too. I realized the other day that my BACK itches a lot less since I stopped eggs. It was never a problem - just an irritant - now it is gone.
This is very true. Little things I never attributed to anything has stopped. Like headaches, I used to get a mild headache (could be taken care of with Advil) 2-3 times a week. I had one a few days ago and realized I couldn't remember the last one. Or colds, I amlost never get a cold anymore. Or athlete's foot (ick I know), I used to have it quite often.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:59 AM   #20
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
I was diagnosed with celiac back in 2005. I have been GF since. My symptoms were extreme fatigue and horrible stomach pain and diarreah. Now, if I get glutened, HONESTLY the worst symptom is the fatigue. I try to be very careful, but it does happen. When it does, I could literally sleep for 3 solid days!
zipp2play is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

THANKS to you all for replying! You have convinced me to continue with my plan to do a version of the elimination diet and if I feel it is warranted I will go to the doc for more testing. Starting today I am eliminating gluten, dairy, coffee (I've often felt wheezy after drinking coffee), the nightshade vegetables (tomato, eggplant, potato), eggs and doing my best with yeast and soy - I say doing my best because I am not sure if I can identify all the ingredients that contain those yet. Also peanuts but not nuts in general.

I appreciate all your feedback and I am hopeful I can identify a trigger!! you are the best!

Hugs,
Christina
Old 04-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Let us know how the elimination goes!

Cheering for you to feel oh-so-much better!
Old 04-21-2014, 10:22 PM   #23
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Good luck, Christina! I hope all the effort will yield some answers for you.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote