Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Down Day Staples from Trader Joe's

I know there are eleventy billion threads on TJ's elsewhere on the boards, but I was there today and found a new thing for DDs and thought I would share. It occurred to me there are a few things I buy from them to make DDs easier and I bet others could recommend more.

I don't like to fuss much with my food on DDs. You'll see that theme reoccur throughout my list of suggestions.

*The new one- a jerky-like meat stick. It reminds me of an Ostrim stick. I used to count on Ostrims for DDs before, so when I came back to JUDDD I ordered some. It turns out they put whey in them and I am off dairy now. The TJs brand are 80 cals and 6 grams of protein and made out of beef and pork.

*Just Chicken & a bag of shredded cabbage- The Just Chicken is fully cooked and sliced chicken breast. Not much added junk and so easy to whip something up with. I throw 3 ozs of chicken, the whole bag of cabbage and about a quarter cup chicken broth in a skillet and cook until heated and the cabbage is wilted. Add salt & pepper and Bragg's liquid aminos (tastes like soy sauce, but wheat free) and you have yourself a quick and easy lunch or dinner for 215 calories and 29 grams of protein.

*Persian cucumbers- you can get organic or conventional. They are smallish cucumbers and are 10 cals each. I sliced two long ways in quarters and ground sea salt over them today for a 20 cal snack.

*All their salad fixinings- between their pretorn and baby lettuces, to the mixed package of grape, cherry and pear tomatoes, to the carrot shreds, to the aforementioned Persian cucumbers, it is so easy to make a big low cal veggie salad. Depending on what I am planning for the rest of the day, I will add Just Chicken to my salads too.

*Hebrew National FF hot dogs- I have seen those mentioned around, TJs carries them at a good price.

*Egg white salad- I have never bought this myself, but I remember a JUDDDer from way back buying it for lunch. It seems like it was around 100 calories or less. I saw it the other day, so they still carry it.

*Great teas and coffee. I especially like their decafs. Coffee keeps me out of the snacks after dinner.

*Super easy regular meals for the rest of the family for DDs if I am not eating with them. My kids are making themselves pizzas tonight with a pre made crust, sauce, shredded cheese, olives, and pepperoni all from TJs.

Add your favorites to the list.......

3/24/14- She is Beautiful 10k- I won!, 7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won!
9/14/14- Title 9K- I won!
11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2014, 03:53 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
YUM!

Thanks for all the good info.

The cabbage + chicken meal is amazing, isn't it? I toss in a laughing cow low-cal cheese sometimes for added flavor and to punch up the sauce.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:36 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Love Trader Joe's! These are all great ideas Gina. I find it impossible to go to TJ's and not buy a lot of more UD-centric food, because it's all just so good. There are these frozen pastry puff things with carmelized onion and feta that are amazing. Their flavored Greek yogurt is also really good.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:19 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I've had the egg white salad. It comes in 2 flavors at my TJ's and they're both good. I got sick after eating it once. It may or may not have been related to the egg salad, but I haven't bought it since. I'm weird that way though. Even if it wasn't due to the food, I'll forever associate it with being sick.

I like lots and lots of things from TJ's, but the best calorie bargain I've come across is their frozen shrimp stir-fry. IIRC, it's something like 170 calories for the WHOLE THING (not just a serving). On early DDs, I'd cook up a whole bag and have that for lunch.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:48 AM   #5
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

I will look for that shrimp stir-fry. That sounds great.

I buy PLENTY of UD food at TJs too.

I thought of another- I buy the bag of precut mixed broccoli, cauliflower and baby carrots, wash and put them in a ziploc, add about a tablespoon of olive oil, toss well to coat all the veggies (toss and toss and toss since there is so little oil), dump out on parchment paper on a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan, grind sea salt over everything and roast at 375 until the veggies are cooked to your liking. I usually only count half the oil since a lot is left on the inside of the ziploc.

I remember the calorie count, but it makes a good dinner.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I just love TJs. They keep closing more stores around here, so I hope they're okay financially. I'm going to have to try that shrimp stir fry! I'm in desperate need of some good, new ideas for DDs. I'm getting pretty bored with what I've been having over and over.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:17 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
We don't have a TJ's. We have one supermarket that carries more high-end stuff, but they are very expensive and just the regular grocery store is out of the world on prices lately. I went to buy salad stuff yesterday on my DD and a regular sized tomato (not even a good, red one) was 2.00 for one. 4 cucumbers were 2.99. Ridiculous lol.

I would love to find that shrimp stir-fry, or something similar. I'll check out the frozen goods next trip.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:39 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
We don't have a TJ's. We have one supermarket that carries more high-end stuff, but they are very expensive and just the regular grocery store is out of the world on prices lately. I went to buy salad stuff yesterday on my DD and a regular sized tomato (not even a good, red one) was 2.00 for one. 4 cucumbers were 2.99. Ridiculous lol.

I would love to find that shrimp stir-fry, or something similar. I'll check out the frozen goods next trip.
4 cucumbers here is 3.99 so count your blessings.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:38 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I know it's everywhere, and probably cheaper down here than most places in the U.S. These were mini cucumbers too. About 2.5 in. each. The big cukes were 3.00 a piece.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:18 PM   #10
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

OK, this one isn't from TJ's, but tonight at Costco I found a tub of shrimp ceviche. It is 45 calories for 4 ozs. I think I'll toss it with some salad greens for a late lunch tomorrow.

Ceviche is kind of like salsa, but with fish or shrimp.