Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   OT--SSRI help (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/828226-ot-ssri-help.html)

Librarygirl 04-14-2014 06:54 AM

OT--SSRI help

I started taking Celexa last night and felt terrible nausea and anxiety about 1 hour after taking it, and even this morning. I know it's too soon to say how it will affect me, but I have taken AD's before for years and know how addictive they are to my body, and how difficult to discontinue...plus the side effects are scary to me. I've been having an emotional roller coaster ride for months and months now, and I attribute it to menopause...:dunno: I don't know what to do--continue this addictive substance that has multiple side effects, or what?! I am so :stars: I want to feel happy and calm, but I'm scared of the treatment. Such a paradox.:annoyed:

Patkid 04-14-2014 07:27 AM

Hi, Cindy!
I have no wisdom to share.
I just want you to know that I care. You deserve to feel peaceful and secure.
My prayer is that you and your doc find what works for you.
Blessings,
Pat

LoCarbGal 04-14-2014 08:54 AM

I have no help to offer, but I do have a :hugs: for you!

KeirasMom 04-14-2014 09:20 AM

I don't have any experience with that medication, but wanted to offer support as well. :hugs:

Librarygirl 04-14-2014 09:24 AM

Thanks. :) I guess I will just keep trying to find something that works...

EmmaLiza 04-14-2014 10:16 AM

Cindy,

I'm not familiar with Celexa, but I can say from having taken a SRI for decades that when you get the right dose of the right thing, it can be transformative. For me, switching from evening to morning doses made a huge difference.

Also, don't discount the herbal substitutes. I have a couple of friends who use a formula that mimics prozac and really love it. You might indeed need to try several before you hit on a good one. Don't be uncomfortable, stay in close touch with your dr and report all side effects.

(BTW, I hope this isn't insulting, but if you are not seeing a psychiatrist, change to a psych to get meds. If you aren't confident or happy with the one you have, change. It's soooo important to have someone you trust.)

Librarygirl 04-14-2014 10:24 AM

Thanks, Emma. I was talking to a co-worker who says HRT pellets keep her mood (and everything else related to menopause) regulated. They are extremely expensive, however. I really, really don't want to deal with side effects of AD's...this was a shot in the dark when I felt I just *must* have something! So I told my OB what to prescribe, based on recommendations from others...I'm still not sure what road to take, and it may be as simple as upping my dosage of Amoryn, which I currently take.:dunno:

gotsomeold 04-14-2014 10:45 AM

As menopause began I, usually the calm one you want to have around during an emergency, started having full-blown hysterics at any- and every-thing. I did HRT (do not remember what it was) for about five months, phased myself off, and everything went back to normal (except the hot flashes....but, some things just have to happen).

EmmaLiza 04-14-2014 10:50 AM

Cindy,
My "first" time through menopause (I seem to be having another round of some of the symptoms 4-6 years later :) ) the OTC meno herbals helped me tremendously, especially the PM versions with valerian root. For something so simple to help me so much with hot flashes, insomnia, and night sweats was a real surprise. Nowadays, without the accompanying mood problems, the heat/sweats don't bother me nearly as much. However, the estroven doesn't help at all. :(

It's really a YMMV, but I think worth pursuing.

cici52 04-14-2014 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomeold (Post 16875440)
As menopause began I, usually the calm one you want to have around during an emergency, started having full-blown hysterics at any- and every-thing. I did HRT (do not remember what it was) for about five months, phased myself off, and everything went back to normal (except the hot flashes....but, some things just have to happen).

This is very similar to my experience. My symptom was depression and one month on HRT then quit solved it. My HRT was the horse stuff started with P. My hot flashes were very short lived too. However, too much soy will actually bring them back.

Hope you find the help you need.

Librarygirl 04-14-2014 12:16 PM

What do I need to ask my doc to prescribe, Cici or Nancy? I was under the impression that HRT only helped with the physical symptoms of meno--night sweats, hot flashes, but after talking with my co-worker and reading what you have said, I think it might be the way for me to go. I need to start it ASAP.

gotsomeold 04-14-2014 12:32 PM

Oh Cindy, that was 10 years ago. It was whatever HRT was back in the olden days. Talk to your OB? Talk to your coworker?

I hated taking it, but it really did make a huge emotional difference.

KeirasMom 04-14-2014 01:26 PM

I believe Premarin is the standard, but they make a synthetic. I'm personally opposed to Premarin based on the way it's collected, so I would use a synthetic (again, myself for ethical reasons, and no judgement toward anyone who uses it). And, who knows, the collection methods may have improved since I read about it a million years ago. I'm too lazy to look into it right now. :laugh:

Carly 04-14-2014 02:54 PM

Sending lots of hugs :hugs:

I second the suggestion of seeking out a psychiatrist if you decide to stick with the SSRIs. Technically SSRIs are not addictive, but one should wean off them rather than just spot if at a therapeutic dose.

I know nothing about HRT, but I'm sure your OB can be of help.

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

leonak 04-14-2014 03:17 PM

I have taken Premarin for many years, still do. I started with 1.25 mg, now years later i am taking .3, take it every morning but not on Sunday. If one needs it, take it.

Good Luck and Blessings!

cici52 04-14-2014 07:09 PM

Premarin was what took as well
But that was about 15 years ago. Nobody even heard of bioidentical hrt and who knows what else they have now. If it is caused by menopause I would check the hrt options available.

wiiiifit 04-14-2014 08:36 PM

Have you tried any of the non-drug alternative therapy type of things? There are so many it is hard to say which would appeal to you the most...some obvious calm your mind type things yoga/meditation/prayer, sunshine and exercise. Repetitive tasks are what works well for me. Ever heard of zen doodling? Really calming. Quiets the mind...supposed to work well for ADHD or OCD types of anxiety. Knitting, crocheting and bouncing on an exercise ball are some of the other repetitive things that I have tried. I have an ADHD child and some of these were suggested to me by his OT.

One particular restorative yoga pose is legs up the wall--which is exactly what it sounds like---put down a pillow for your back and just start with a few minutes working your way up to a half hour show and then maybe most of a movie. Really good for the lymph system and calming and centering. Legs-Up-the-Wall Pose | Yoga Poses | Yoga Journal

wiiiifit 04-14-2014 08:52 PM

Maybe I misread the question...is AD anxiety drugs? I dont know much about SSRI...but, I thought we were talking about anxiety. If not just disregard my blabbering. Lol

Yennie 04-14-2014 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16875658)
I believe Premarin is the standard, but they make a synthetic. I'm personally opposed to Premarin based on the way it's collected, so I would use a synthetic (again, myself for ethical reasons, and no judgement toward anyone who uses it). And, who knows, the collection methods may have improved since I read about it a million years ago. I'm too lazy to look into it right now. :laugh:

Nope, still the same collection method. It would be nice if there was a viable synthetic alternative... :(

Librarygirl 04-15-2014 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiiiifit (Post 16876154)
Maybe I misread the question...is AD anxiety drugs? I dont know much about SSRI...but, I thought we were talking about anxiety. If not just disregard my blabbering. Lol

Antidepressant, and not specifically for anxiety. I have experienced anxiety before, and maybe it was due partly to an AD I was taking then. All I know is that I hated it and do not want to experience it as a side effect, regardless of better mood, etc. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Flutter 04-15-2014 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16876337)
Antidepressant, and not specifically for anxiety. I have experienced anxiety before, and maybe it was due partly to an AD I was taking then. All I know is that I hated it and do not want to experience it as a side effect, regardless of better mood, etc. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Anxiety can definitely be increased with certain antidepressants! Try another....but really highly recommend finding a great psychiatrist to work with. I owe much to a fabulous one my GP found for my teen. Seriously, if you truly need some meds, a psych is your begs bet. ❤️ Of course, you know what I think already. :heart: I love ya girl, just want you HAPPY and healthy!!!!!!

Librarygirl 04-15-2014 07:09 AM

Thanks, Flutter. A psychiatrist can't fix menopause. :D I do think talk therapy is beneficial and I plan to continue it soon. :)

Flutter 04-15-2014 07:39 AM

True that (if you feel it's meno and not depression). :)

EmmaLiza 04-15-2014 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flutter (Post 16876481)
True that (if you feel it's meno and not depression). :)

Agree. Psych recommendation was for AD type treatment....and/or talk therapy. I know several people who did HRT for awhile, felt better, and were able to stop taking it. Also, there is a cream you rub into your skin, so it's not all premarin.

leonak 04-15-2014 11:53 AM

some need the pills HRT for life, is it really so bad?

ouizoid 04-15-2014 11:59 AM

as a professor of psychopharmacology, I can tell you that nausea and anxiety are common initial side effects with celexa. It takes a couple of weeks before the side effects give way to the therapeutic effects. I would not switch drugs til you have given it more time. I'm so sorry you are having such a hard time.

Flutter 04-15-2014 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ouizoid (Post 16876833)
as a professor of psychopharmacology, I can tell you that nausea and anxiety are common initial side effects with celexa. It takes a couple of weeks before the side effects give way to the therapeutic effects. I would not switch drugs til you have given it more time. I'm so sorry you are having such a hard time.

:love: I was hoping you would chime in. :heart:

JayLynn 04-15-2014 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yennie (Post 16876157)
Nope, still the same collection method. It would be nice if there was a viable synthetic alternative... :(

I have no knowledge whatsoever about HRT because thankfully I went through menopause with no issues.

But I'm am curious about what the collection method is? I tried googling it and didn't find anything.

Cindy, I also send good thoughts that you get this all straightened out soon. I agree, we want you happy and healthy! :hugs:

KeirasMom 04-15-2014 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayLynn (Post 16876952)
I have no knowledge whatsoever about HRT because thankfully I went through menopause with no issues.

But I'm am curious about what the collection method is? I tried googling it and didn't find anything.

Cindy, I also send good thoughts that you get this all straightened out soon. I agree, we want you happy and healthy! :hugs:

Premarin is derived from Pregnant Mare's Urine. They keep the mares in tiny stalls with catheters to collect their urine. They don't get exercise or even fresh air, often. Once the foal is born, they very quickly re-impregnate the mare, and the cycle starts all over. That's my understanding, at least. I won't use it if/when I need it, but I don't fault anyone else who does. You have to do what's right for you. You were lucky to not have a rough menopause. I hope mine's as easy. :aprayer:

ETA: I don't eat veal for similar reasons. Just a personal preference.

EmmaLiza 04-15-2014 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16877031)
Premarin is derived from Pregnant Mare's Urine. They keep the mares in tiny stalls with catheters to collect their urine. They don't get exercise or even fresh air, often. Once the foal is born, they very quickly re-impregnate the mare, and the cycle starts all over.

ETA: I don't eat veal for similar reasons. Just a personal preference.

Same here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leonak (Post 16876829)
some need the pills HRT for life, is it really so bad?

I didn't mean to imply that it was bad, so I'm sorry it sounded that way. I realize I was speaking out of a weakness of mine without consciously hearing myself.

I have tendency to feel trapped or claustrophobic and when I think about doing something "for the rest of my life," I get that same feeling like when I have to sit in the back of a two-door volkswagen. Part of my dieting phobia has been to look that in the face when it comes to watching what I eat. But evidently, it's pretty ingrained.:o