Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2014, 02:49 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/115/110-114
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
I have known about HRT for years now, if another pill was available when I started I probably would of gone on another brand. This is what "the doctor ordered" for me.

I have odd feelings about taking it, but I still take it . Maybe someday I will be off it.

No hard feelings towards anyone of my JUDD buds!

leonak is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2014, 02:53 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
some need the pills HRT for life, is it really so bad?
Unfortunately, HRT is contra-indicated for people who have had breast cancer or are high risk for it, so it's not an option for some.
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Premarin is derived from Pregnant Mare's Urine. They keep the mares in tiny stalls with catheters to collect their urine. They don't get exercise or even fresh air, often. Once the foal is born, they very quickly re-impregnate the mare, and the cycle starts all over. That's my understanding, at least. I won't use it if/when I need it, but I don't fault anyone else who does. You have to do what's right for you. You were lucky to not have a rough menopause. I hope mine's as easy.

ETA: I don't eat veal for similar reasons. Just a personal preference.
Oh I see. So is the what they use to make the pharmaceutical? Is it the natural kind of HRT? Sorry I'm so ignorant about this but after reading this thread I'm curious.

^^^^nevermind, I found an article that explains the process. I'm glad I never had to think about taking hormones.

But I do know that many women I know who are in their 40s talk a lot about perimenopause issues, depression or moodiness being a part of it. I never experienced any of this and it wasn't until in my 50s that my periods even began to slow down. Now that part of getting older I did like!

"When a person has had too much to eat, fasting is the smartest thing he could do.” – Mark Sisson, Mark’s Daily Apple.

BElieve in
YOUrself!

Last edited by JayLynn; 04-15-2014 at 03:30 PM..
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:26 PM   #34
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I actually had some estrogen patches that I had quit using because someone told me they were dangerous. I put one on tonight. I also have a prescription to fill at the pharmacy, but will use these until I run out.
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macci
LibraryGirl, for depression, the best thing I know of is a book called Feeling Good by David Burns. It's cognitive behavior therapy that you can do on your own. It works just fine with any meds you are taking, and IMHO is a great stinkin' thinkin' tune up.

I have taken anti depressants in the past, but havent for about 12 years. Since then I have had great success with Feeling Good and omega 3s that I buy at Costco (3-4 grams per day).

Depression just sucks, I hope you are feeling better real soon
Macci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:31 PM   #36
Big Yapper!!!!

Macci, what is Feeling Good? I will definitely look into getting the book, and the supplements. I have sadness that hits suddenly when I think of anything sad, and I tear up at anything--this I know is related to menopause. I also have raging anger, that I think is definitely something to do with hormones as well...some of it is situational, but my response to situations is skewed and I believe it's that time of life. I have been going through this for years without realizing that maybe my hormones were completely out of whack.

Before you all start thinking I'm a lunatic, I think I appear normal most of the time.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*

Last edited by Librarygirl; 04-15-2014 at 04:41 PM..
Old 04-15-2014, 04:41 PM   #37
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I actually had some estrogen patches that I had quit using because someone told me they were dangerous. I put one on tonight. I also have a prescription to fill at the pharmacy, but will use these until I run out.
Who gave you the estrogen patches? A doctor? And why trust a friend who told you they were bad? My doctor said that excess estrogen and estrogen patches are 2 very different things. The estrogen that you take medicine wise is a different form from the excess estrogen that is the breast cancer kind.

I went to a clinic for bio-identical hormones. And it was expensive. We are talking $3,000 expensive.....for a year that was NOT covered under my insurance. And I have been told my insurance is the best kind too My moods were so horrible though that I tried it. I was afraid to talk to many people because of MY attitude. Anyhow, I was put on the pellets, after getting my hormones tested. I was taking progesterone, testosterone and the estrogen. I was not originally put on the estrogen because I was shown to be high by the blood test. However, by my symptoms she put it in my pellets because I was shown quickly to be needing it. It helped immensely. I took the treatment for a year, because I had paid for it. They had a finance plan (monthly payments). But had to stop because of the expense. The hormones really helped balance out my mood, and really helps with anxiety amongst other things. I did not go for hot flashes---those would have been most welcome. I am stone cold freezing ALL THE TIME and cannot wait to be on the flip side and be just a little bit hot. I didn't go because I am not sleeping either. I sleep just fine. Actually a little too fine. I need help with my energy. Anyway, I understand NOT wanting to go to a clinic because of the expense. It was very expensive and I hope one day that the insurance company does recognize that it is a NECESSARY, not a frivolous thing we just want to try out, treatment so that they will cover it.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:46 PM   #38
Big Yapper!!!!

My insurance does cover estrogen patches/pills, but I'm not sure about pellets. Two of the women in my office get the pellets injected and say it costs them about 650.00 a year. They said that the doctor they use does not file it with their insurance, but probably because it isn't covered (they didn't know). Both of them think it is the best treatment for menopause, but I will try other things before I do that.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:27 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/115/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
this is such a sweet bunch, love you all
leonak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macci
Quote:
Macci, what is Feeling Good? I will definitely look into getting the book, and the supplements. I have sadness that hits suddenly when I think of anything sad, and I tear up at anything--this I know is related to menopause. I also have raging anger, that I think is definitely something to do with hormones as well...some of it is situational, but my response to situations is skewed and I believe it's that time of life. I have been going through this for years without realizing that maybe my hormones were completely out of whack.

Before you all start thinking I'm a lunatic, I think I appear normal most of the time.
LG, Feeling Good is a self help book that is really helpful for people with depression and anxiety of varying degrees of severity (and whatever the cause), provided you are willing to take the self tests and do the exercises. Even if your mood swings are purely hormonal, you might still find this book helpful because it teaches you how to spot negative thoughts (that we can all ruminate on) and kinda talk back to them. This has a way of stopping them in their tracks. I think of this as a mental health practice like prayer or meditation is for spirituality.
Macci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:04 PM   #41

Quote:
My insurance does cover estrogen patches/pills, but I'm not sure about pellets. Two of the women in my office get the pellets injected and say it costs them about 650.00 a year. They said that the doctor they use does not file it with their insurance, but probably because it isn't covered (they didn't know). Both of them think it is the best treatment for menopause, but I will try other things before I do that.
That is a good deal. You will have to let me know what doc since I live somewhat in the area. Much more doable than the $3,000 my clinic wanted. The pellets were great!!! So convenient. Nothing to remember to take. Just too expensive for me, I really wanted to continue. But couldn't justify the cost
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:41 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
this is such a sweet bunch, love you all
I love this place and everyone over here. There isn't a more supportive group out there, IMO!

LG, more love girl.
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:32 AM   #43
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
That is a good deal. You will have to let me know what doc since I live somewhat in the area. Much more doable than the $3,000 my clinic wanted. The pellets were great!!! So convenient. Nothing to remember to take. Just too expensive for me, I really wanted to continue. But couldn't justify the cost
Dr. Dent in Florence. Apparently he is the only one who does it, at least that "cheap". Give his office a call, if that's not too far for you.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #44

Quote:
Dr. Dent in Florence. Apparently he is the only one who does it, at least that "cheap". Give his office a call, if that's not too far for you.
Thanks just found him and he is only 1 and 1/2 hours away. Not bad, considering my last really good doc was twice as far away.

Last edited by dawnyama; 04-17-2014 at 06:02 PM..
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:11 PM   #45
Big Yapper!!!!

I meant the only one who does it in Florence, although I have not searched. I'm assuming my friends did (research) and are using him for a reason. I think he has a full schedule, so if you're interested, give his office a call. I'm glad to help.