Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2014, 08:34 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Slimming-up
Stats: 180/134/135 5'7"
WOE: Maintenence - 5:2 (as of 3/1/14)
Start Date: 7/7/13 - JUDDD
Help!

I reached my goal weight back in Feb. Once I was no longer focused on just watching the scale move downward, I was able to realize that some things are just not as they should be.
My dh has commented that I lost too much. I feel like others might think the same - that I'm too thin now (who'd have thought I'd ever be hearing that!) I'm so self conscious - thinking others are looking at me and shaking their heads... I know that is not likely happening, but you know how self-talk goes.

I think it's not that I lost too much, but rather, I may have actually lost more muscle than I thought.
I'm just so flabby! My 'thin' arms and legs jiggle far too much and I can't stop thinking how unattractive that must be. My thighs and belly even sag - at 51 I feel like my legs look much older.
I expected to feel good about my weight loss, but now I look at pictures of my heavier days and wonder how much better I really look?

I don't do any toning exercises - my only exercise is taking the dog for a brisk walk twice a day.

So my question is - what is a good routine for someone who is somewhat resistant to structured exercise - I know I need to do it, but it's not something I want to do. But just as I determined that I needed to lose weight, I'm determined now to not look like this the rest of my life.

I've seen posts on here where people rave about this program or that program, but I get overwhelmed when searching to find one that might work for me.

I have a membership at the Y, but I'm not sure making a trip there regularly will work - I could do that some, but I also need something I can just do at home.
Slimming-up is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Slimming-up, congratulations on all your hard work to get to goal.

I've been using New Rules of Lifting for Women, and I really like it. It is easier to do at the gym, though. Some of the exercises use equipment that most people don't have at home. You'd only need to go two or three times a week, but if that is not realistic for you, I know there are amazing home programs too, and I'm sure someone will have a recommendation for you there.

Two things I have been reading are important: first, it's important to feel like the weights you are lifting are a bit of a challenge, so that at the end of your repetitions you don't feel like you could have easily done a few more. You won't bulk up by doing this, but you need the challenge to build muscle, and you also want to increase the weights as you get stronger.

Here's the fun part: especially now that you don't have any more weight to lose you should eat MORE than your maintenance calories on weight training days. You need those calories to build muscle. One recommendation for women is 300-400 calories over maintenance on weight training days, then just maintenance on non-training days. The scale will go up, but the scale is not important ... only worry if your SIZE goes up. Also, take a day off in between training days.

Hope that helps. I think you'll be so pleased after only a couple weeks of weight training with the results! I think it is just amazing.

ETA: I just noticed you are doing 5:2, so you could do two down days, 2-3 maintenance days, and 2-3 higher cal days, just on the days you are working out.

Last edited by calichris; 04-12-2014 at 10:11 AM..
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
First of all, congratulations on your weight loss! You should be so proud of yourself!

As far as "toning" - I would say maybe something like Callanetics. The 10 years Younger in 10 Hours is a great workout, and you don't have to do it all at once. To be honest, I skip most of the warmup/stretch type moves (although I do love the stretches) when I'm crunched for time, and just do the really challenging poses. You can easily get all those done in 30 minutes or so. Don't skip the underarm squeeze one though. It's included in the "warmup" section, but is sooooo hard and really beneficial for the triceps area! I have noticed lots of firm muscle (under my fat layer!) due to Callanetics.

You can work up to more strenuous muscle building exercises from there, if you ever want to. I'm just now starting to do this, and I feel like Callanetics has given me an excellent foundation to do this.

Good luck!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:37 AM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
What helped me most (and I started after I lost all of my weight) is strength (resistance) on my health club's machines. I am afraid to do free weights because it's too easy to injure yourself without proper form, and at age 72, I'm too fragile to risk injury.

I actually began the resistance work for my bones because my arthritis keeps me from weight-bearing exercises, and I was surprised at how 'toned' I became with just 2x a week doing this (the club trainer told me not to do more than 2x).

My health club was originally a Y (the YWCA pulled out, and someone bought the facility), so your Y may have similar machines. I've become addicted to this.

During my weight loss, I was swimming laps (no longer possible because of shoulder injury), and that may have been good for my heart but really didn't tone me as this does. However, I've always been careful to eat at least my minimum protein requirement to try to minimize muscle loss.

In any case, I strongly recommend resistance exercise. I actually went down a pants size without losing an ounce.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:23 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
I am just here to tell you I empathize! I am ridiculously flabby...made the mistake of checking my thighs out while doing planks a few weeks ago. <shudder>

I will be reading with interest! I have a consult with an ortho surgeon in a few weeks so I really can't start anything new at this point. I'd love to be doing some interval & strength training. {sigh}
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
If you want to do it at home I second the idea of Callenetics. There are several different YouTube videos that will give you an idea if you like it or not. I have the 10 in 10 also.
Seabreezes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:56 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mafiamom
Stats: 5'2" 131.7 (4/21/14)
WOE: JUDDD 1810/350
Start Date: 10/15/13
add me to the skinny fat list.

i need to add some resistance training to my cardio. it's so much easier for me to do cardio than lift weights!! ugh.
mafiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:32 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiamom View Post

i need to add some resistance training to my cardio. it's so much easier for me to do cardio than lift weights!! ugh.
I wish we were all at my place. I'm convinvinced that by the end of the morning, we'd all love doing weights. It's such a short, interesting superhero workout. I always feel as though I could leap tall buildings afterward.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:42 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: way too much/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
I started weightlifting and looked at things on youtube and read things and downloaded things and completely overwhelmed myself. I got intimidated again by the gym and stopped picking up heavy things. I kept at running and taking some classes, tho.

Anyway, my husband found me someone who is willing to train me and hopefully give me some structure so that all that information I have makes more sense to me. I dunno how many sessions we will have, but he's only charging us $10 so it'll be well worth it. I've talked to him and feel very comfortable he's going to be able to really help me feel like I know what I'm doing.

I am 50 and just think weightlifting is what I need to do to feel better about my body as I get to goal. I know I can't tighten everything up like it used to be, but I don't want to get to goal and feel worse. I wish I had always wanted to w/l but this is the first time, and I think it's important as we get to this age.
LDL: 191
Madmarsha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:00 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kettleboy
Stats: 6' 3". 243/219/210
WOE: Juddd when required
Start Date: June 2010
Kettlebell swing x3/week, and latter on perhaps a few pressups, but Swing will do 90% of what you want with minimal time investment. But get someone to show you how to do it properly.

Kristin- you need to work harder :-) you wouldn't leap over any tall buildings after a work out with me :-)
Kettleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:28 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Slimming-up
Stats: 180/134/135 5'7"
WOE: Maintenence - 5:2 (as of 3/1/14)
Start Date: 7/7/13 - JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post
Slimming-up, congratulations on all your hard work to get to goal.

I've been using New Rules of Lifting for Women, and I really like it. It is easier to do at the gym, though. Some of the exercises use equipment that most people don't have at home. You'd only need to go two or three times a week, but if that is not realistic for you, I know there are amazing home programs too, and I'm sure someone will have a recommendation for you there.

Two things I have been reading are important: first, it's important to feel like the weights you are lifting are a bit of a challenge, so that at the end of your repetitions you don't feel like you could have easily done a few more. You won't bulk up by doing this, but you need the challenge to build muscle, and you also want to increase the weights as you get stronger.

Here's the fun part: especially now that you don't have any more weight to lose you should eat MORE than your maintenance calories on weight training days. You need those calories to build muscle. One recommendation for women is 300-400 calories over maintenance on weight training days, then just maintenance on non-training days. The scale will go up, but the scale is not important ... only worry if your SIZE goes up. Also, take a day off in between training days.

Hope that helps. I think you'll be so pleased after only a couple weeks of weight training with the results! I think it is just amazing.

ETA: I just noticed you are doing 5:2, so you could do two down days, 2-3 maintenance days, and 2-3 higher cal days, just on the days you are working out.
New Rules of Lifting for Women - is that a book, or DVD?
I'm beginning to open up to the idea of going to the gym if I can get better faster results - maybe eventually I'd find a way to do something at home, but I may need to get a jump start at the gym.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
First of all, congratulations on your weight loss! You should be so proud of yourself!

As far as "toning" - I would say maybe something like Callanetics. The 10 years Younger in 10 Hours is a great workout, and you don't have to do it all at once. To be honest, I skip most of the warmup/stretch type moves (although I do love the stretches) when I'm crunched for time, and just do the really challenging poses. You can easily get all those done in 30 minutes or so. Don't skip the underarm squeeze one though. It's included in the "warmup" section, but is sooooo hard and really beneficial for the triceps area! I have noticed lots of firm muscle (under my fat layer!) due to Callanetics.

You can work up to more strenuous muscle building exercises from there, if you ever want to. I'm just now starting to do this, and I feel like Callanetics has given me an excellent foundation to do this.

Good luck!
I looked it up on YouTube to get an idea of what you're talking about. Do I need a DVD to get a complete program to follow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
What helped me most (and I started after I lost all of my weight) is strength (resistance) on my health club's machines. I am afraid to do free weights because it's too easy to injure yourself without proper form, and at age 72, I'm too fragile to risk injury.

I actually began the resistance work for my bones because my arthritis keeps me from weight-bearing exercises, and I was surprised at how 'toned' I became with just 2x a week doing this (the club trainer told me not to do more than 2x).

My health club was originally a Y (the YWCA pulled out, and someone bought the facility), so your Y may have similar machines. I've become addicted to this.

During my weight loss, I was swimming laps (no longer possible because of shoulder injury), and that may have been good for my heart but really didn't tone me as this does. However, I've always been careful to eat at least my minimum protein requirement to try to minimize muscle loss.

In any case, I strongly recommend resistance exercise. I actually went down a pants size without losing an ounce.
Thanks - my motivation for actually going to the Y is inching up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
I am just here to tell you I empathize! I am ridiculously flabby...made the mistake of checking my thighs out while doing planks a few weeks ago. <shudder>

I will be reading with interest! I have a consult with an ortho surgeon in a few weeks so I really can't start anything new at this point. I'd love to be doing some interval & strength training. {sigh}
Thanks! There aren't many places one can just talk about this kind of stuff and know others completely understand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
If you want to do it at home I second the idea of Callenetics. There are several different YouTube videos that will give you an idea if you like it or not. I have the 10 in 10 also.
That would put me down to age 40 again. I'm all for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiamom View Post

Yes, skinny fat. That sums it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
I wish we were all at my place. I'm convinvinced that by the end of the morning, we'd all love doing weights. It's such a short, interesting superhero workout. I always feel as though I could leap tall buildings afterward.
Share your secret? Short and interesting gets my attention!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmarsha View Post
Anyway, my husband found me someone who is willing to train me and hopefully give me some structure so that all that information I have makes more sense to me. I dunno how many sessions we will have, but he's only charging us $10 so it'll be well worth it. I've talked to him and feel very comfortable he's going to be able to really help me feel like I know what I'm doing.

I am 50 and just think weightlifting is what I need to do to feel better about my body as I get to goal. I know I can't tighten everything up like it used to be, but I don't want to get to goal and feel worse. I wish I had always wanted to w/l but this is the first time, and I think it's important as we get to this age.
I think getting some guidance me at the Y would be a great idea. Just to give me some starting help. Even 1-2 sessions would help me not be so intimidated.
I've done the gym thing in the past. In fact, I've had several times in my life that I was pretty dedicated - but it's been over 10 years now and I need some updated info.
Yes, the age thing makes it all the more important and difficult at the same time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettleboy View Post
Kettlebell swing x3/week, and latter on perhaps a few pressups, but Swing will do 90% of what you want with minimal time investment. But get someone to show you how to do it properly.
My first reaction is that I think I'd hurt myself! But it looks interesting - I'll look into it some more.
Slimming-up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I think you can find a good chunk of the actual Callanetics workouts online, but I have the DVD.

I love the idea of kettlebells, and the only thing that stops me is that I would have to buy more stuff or join a gym that has them.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:49 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
New Rules of Lifting for Women is a book, with pictures to show form.

Carol - I know, I got a kettlebell, and it was more expensive than I expected, and I wish I had more than one weight. I like doing kettlebell swings, and there's lots of good videos on how to do them on the web, but I do not enjoy doing my kettlebell video workout, so I haven't used it much. If anyone wants to get a kettlebell, they are cheaper on Amazon than at your local sporting goods store.

Last edited by calichris; 04-14-2014 at 03:50 PM..
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:11 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettleboy View Post

Kristin- you need to work harder :-) you wouldn't leap over any tall buildings after a work out with me :-)
Kettleboy, perhaps, flaked out on the floor, I just become more arrogant about my potential to leap tall buildings.
And I have no doubt you're working harder.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:36 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kettleboy
Stats: 6' 3". 243/219/210
WOE: Juddd when required
Start Date: June 2010
Kettleboy is offline   Reply With Quote