Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/116/110-114
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
I Pad or Lap top computer, which one should I buy?

My old computer is still working but it is old and uses XP. I am a senior citizen, use my computer for email and to come here and then dh and i both Google for lots of things. We never order on line and have never given our credit card number on the computer, we do no banking on line either.

Just do not know what to buy. Like the idea of not so very many cords on the floor

What do our JUDD buds recommend and which one do they use the most?

Thanks All!
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mafiamom
Stats: 5'2" 131.7 (4/21/14)
WOE: JUDDD 1810/350
Start Date: 10/15/13
as someone who was without a lap top for almost two months, and had an ipad to take it's place.... i say laptop. i love having a real keyboard. and i find forums like this to be way more easy to navigate on a laptop. also, when i want to research something to buy on line, i definitely prefer the bigger screen. just my .02, but i am SOOOO glad to have my laptop back!!
mafiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
This is a tough one! I adore my Ipad and rarely turn on my laptop anymore, but I am on a desktop at work all day so I can do most of the things that can't be done on an Ipad then.

This site, and most sites, are easier to access on a laptop than an Ipad (though I don't find lcf to be difficult on the ipad. iphone is another matter). There are certain sites that require flash which isn't available on ipads. If you download a significant amount of music, you'd need a laptop to sync it (unless you download directly from itunes). So I'd say get a laptop if you can only have one. Just get one with a good battery and good mousepad so you can remain cord free.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
I would say laptop also. We have one of each and I hate typing on the tablet. But I love how easy it is to take on the road. Hubby uses it mainly for watching Netflix and such. I use my laptop for email, researching and web surfing and of course checking up on this forum!
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Another vote for a laptop. I don't have an I-Pad, but I have a Kindle Fire, which I adore for reading and browsing on the internet when I'm away from home, but my laptop gets way more use for internet-related activities. I agree about the keyboard. I can't stand typing on a screen.

My laptop uses Windows 8, and I'm not a fan of that OS. If you get a new laptop and you're not already familiar with version 8, you might want to look at it before you choose that version. I think you can still get Windows 7.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
I agree with this too, Dawn. Windows 8 is altogether different than 7.
I wish I would have known HOW different before I bought this one. I miss that little clickon in the bottom left corner where I would access everything. Now things pop up on the right hand side if the cursor goes near there and it drives me nuts. Things change so darn fast anymore. Don't people ever go by "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" anymore?
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
I have an iPad and a Mac laptop. I use the iPad most of the time because I am basically one handed after an accident. It is a lifesaver for me.

However, if I could only have one, I would get a Mac laptop. You can easily print off of it and access things that are a bit harder to do on an iPad at times.

The people at the Apple stores are VERY helpful.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:18 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Gosh, I have a macbook for writing and promo work for writing (work) but use an iPad for everything else: reading, browsing, LCF, banking, social networking stuff, etc.
I'll bet I use the iPad five times as much. I'll bet I'm an addict, in fact.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:56 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Windows XP! My mother just had to replace her old desktop that had that!

I have a laptop and an Android tablet. I love the tablet for lots of things, but would vote for a laptop too, if you could only have one. So much easier when you need to type. Plus the screen is so much bigger and you can see easier.

Another vote here for Windows 7, and yes, you can still get that. Windows 8 is VERY different and takes a lot of getting used to. Lots of complaints about it, seems like they haven't worked the bugs out prior to releasing, like they always do (Vista).

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I'm not going to lie. I could not pick between a laptop and my IPad. I would give up food before I had to choose. I use LCFs on my IPad all the time, but somethings are easier from the laptop. I never use my IPad for e-mail, but use my iPhone almost as much for e-mail as my laptop. My personal laptop is an Acer with windows 7. I don't like it and can't wait till I can justify getting a replacement. My work laptop is a Lenovo. Top of the line, more than I can probably afford, but AWESOME! I can have 4 or 5 internet sessions open, Outlook, 3 or 4 Excel spreadsheets open and more than 6 Word documents open all at once and this machine is so fast. It is 2 years old. I'm not sure what my job paid for it exactly, but it is worth every penny.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:05 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mafiamom
Stats: 5'2" 131.7 (4/21/14)
WOE: JUDDD 1810/350
Start Date: 10/15/13
oh yeah. i HATE windows 8! still not used to it. booooooo
mafiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:46 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
If it were me, I'd go for the laptop. I had to use my iPad Mini this week when I was having troubles with the desktop. Love the keyboard and my big screen on the desktop vs. having to type on the iPad and use that little screen. The reason I bought the mini is to use it mainly for reading, traveling and "Tango-ing" (like Skype and Facetime) with my son and grandson.
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:54 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

I had no idea Microsoft was getting rid of XP! I still use that on my laptop, which is 7 years old but in decent shape otherwise. I wonder how unsafe it will be to continue using XP? I really don't want to invest in another laptop, though I hear they're pretty cheap these days.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:09 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmmaLiza
Stats: 240/155/125
WOE: LC: 70 lb; JUDDD: 15 lb
Start Date: LC: Apr 2012; JUDDD: Feb 2014
iPad. I bought a keyboard/cover combo (Logitech) that connects with bluetooth and is as easy to recharge as the iPad itself. The iPad sits in a groove in the keyboard and it is virtually the same as having a netbook or some other small laptop. I travel with it, shop, read, email, everything.

If you get a laptop, and don't want to deal with Windows, get an Apple product.
EmmaLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:41 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee View Post
I had no idea Microsoft was getting rid of XP! I still use that on my laptop, which is 7 years old but in decent shape otherwise. I wonder how unsafe it will be to continue using XP? I really don't want to invest in another laptop, though I hear they're pretty cheap these days.
XP's help expires this month. I loved it, but it may become an easy security target once support is gone.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:06 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
I have both. I love my iPad
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:05 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
XP's help expires this month. I loved it, but it may become an easy security target once support is gone.
It's making me very sad! Especially since I can't actually upgrade to 8.1 on that computer, it's just too old to be compatible I guess. So I have to either buy a new laptop or deal with the possible security risk.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:20 PM   #18

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
My old computer is still working but it is old and uses XP. I am a senior citizen, use my computer for email and to come here and then dh and i both Google for lots of things. We never order on line and have never given our credit card number on the computer, we do no banking on line either.

At home I have an old desktop that I remote into work for if I ever need an actual computer. Most often, I ONLY use that for WORKING! No one else in the entire HOUSE uses that or our laptop EVER! We have an Ipad, 4 iphones, an Ipad mini and an Itouch. If you are just using it for email and LCF I would suggest a tablet. All tablets now have keyboard options. With an Ipad or Ipad mini, viruses are a non issue and with a laptop you have to worry about that. Heck, if you want the FEEL of a lap top but use as a tablet, look at the netbooks. My DD12 bought herself a netbook that runs on chrome and she loves it ($200). It is small, but looks like a laptop, but doesn't have the burden of an operating type system. She uses it for the exact items you have noted. You can't put MS Office or anything on it, but she doesn't want any of those as of yet. SHe hoenstly uses it to stream movies, watch utube and such.

Obviously we are an APPLE family. To us, it only made sense to stay in that line because of the apps and such that we can all share without having to purchase them multiple times.

Heck, Kindle Fire now has the ability to do internet and such. I Think Nook HD does as well (although I strongly suggest NEVER purchasing Nook products we have had 10+ at our house and B&N just has to keep replacing the crap products because I keep threatening to throw them all away).

Either way, you shouldn't have to spend a fortune for it. The iPad type things, you can just get the Wifi stuff. If you go that route, as long as you don't store tons of Pictures or video or use apps that hog memory, you can save $$$'s by getting the smaller 16 or 32 size. Me, at our house, we have TONS of Selfies and video for Vines so we always have to get MAX STORAGE which costs us more.

What can I say. My DD12 is madly in love with her self. She takes more selfies than anything else. I always tell my DH, we should be proud, the girls now a days love taking their own picture and using it multiple ways....we are raising self confident girls. That is NOT a bad thing!

Monica - JUDDD! Come see my journey!

Last edited by zipp2play; 04-11-2014 at 12:22 PM..
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:27 PM   #19

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
One more thing, Apple Customer service has always been amazing to us. Believe me, we have dropped, accidentally messed up, abused our devices in many many ways and APPLE has always helped us fix/correct/or otherwise.

Other companies may do that too, I just don't have as much experience with them. WIndows, honestly, I have a Love/Hate relationship with them. If money were not an object, at work we would be ALL MAC and home too. But $$ is an object and I am not the only one to get to decide. the IT guy and I go at it often over this very type argument!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:32 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
There is a new sort of striped down operating system Chrome not to be confused with the browser Google Chrome. But Chrome comes on some cheap Google Chrome laptops, these laptops sell for around $200 to $250 and are intended for people who only want to do email and brouse the web some. If you want to download a lot of things, run a lot of games or do a lot of other things that take up a lot of hard drive space these computers are not for you because they tipicaly come with a verry small 16 gb hadr drive. At least right now Bestbuy is offering a $100 trade in alowence for any running XP computer on a new one this includes a $200 Chrome book making it $100.

One other option and one I may take is to switch to the free operating system Ubuntu. I can do every thing I need to with it. Now watching Netflix with it takes a little work you have to find the tutorial about doing this and download an application to get it set up to do this. All in all partialy because I was new to Ubuntu this took me about an hour. By the way one neat thing about Ubuntu is you can download it from the net, burn it to a DVD then run it from the DVD without realy installing it so you can see if it meets your needs. But be prepared it is different from Windows.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SuzeQ
Stats: 5'2"/75 years old 169/160/135
WOE: Anything that works!
Start Date: June 6, 2011
I have a 17" laptop and a Samsung 10.0 pad. The Samsung is just OK for light stuff. Had an IPad for 10 days and didn't like it because I am too used to Windows. Bottom line: If I had it to do over again I would have the 17" (on my desk) and a 15" touchscreen. The 15" is easy to carry around and I sit on my bed a lot watching TV or reading.
SuzeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:14 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wiiiifit
Stats: 20/12/8
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 2012
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 which is a 7 inch. I bought a keyboard case for it from Amazon for $30. If I didnt have the keyboard I would want the laptop. But, since I can type on this tablet, I never use my netbook, our laptop or the home PC. I think it has been like 6 to 9 months since the last time. We do have lots of other devices around here between the 5 of us. A first gen Kindle Fire, another 10 inch android tablet, several iPod touches between the 3 kids, etc. I can usually change devices when a site doesnt work on one...seems like some dont like the Apple IOS but work differently on the Fire or the Gal Tab.

I almost forgot one of the things that really sold me on the Samsung was the microSD slot. I bought the 8g size plus a 32g microSD and can store 40g of movies and music for a much lower price. Mine was bought on clearance when they first brought out the next upgrade model at $150, so even with the $30 keyboard and the $30 32g micro SD it was only $200 for 40 gigs. I had daily access to an ipad.... during naptime for a 3yr old I used to watch...and I still preferred my tablet. The ipad didnt have a keyboard though and that makes a big difference IMO.

Last edited by wiiiifit; 04-13-2014 at 01:29 AM..
wiiiifit is offline   Reply With Quote