Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: weasel!
Stats: 156/154/125; 5'7", small frame
WOE: JUDDDD/LCHF/Paleo/WAPF/whole foods
Start Date: restart LCHF 1/2014; restart LCHF/JUDDDD 4/2014
Rediscovering JUDDDD: Forgotten wisdom from my past!

Hello friends. I want to share my story of finding and losing JUDDDD -- and now finding it again. Here is an email I sent to a friend this weekend that tells the tale. It's long! Rather than figure out how to tell the whole story again, I thought I could just include this letter here. By the way, today is my first DD for nearly five years. I'm already keto-adapted, so today has been pretty easy. I am so excited to join you all, and I feel GREAT!

Quote:
In the course of focusing on food-tracking and weight loss more intently than I have for years, I came across some forgotten wisdom from my past. [some old emails were forwarded along with this letter to my friend] I can't believe how thoroughly I'd forgotten my well-articulated findings. Also I found other emails about how great I felt, how many big clothes I'd thrown out, all the remarks people were making about how much weight I'd lost, and how doable the plan was. Shortly afterwards was when I got laid off and too depressed for that kind of project.

I think I owe it to myself to go back to the one diet plan that actually worked as advertised for me, JUDDDD.

What's weird is how completely I had wiped traces of this significant achievement out of my consciousness. I rediscovered it by accident. I was visiting my old haunt, the Low Carb Friends forum, for the first time in ages, looking for information about how to get fat percentage into the 80s in a nutritional ketosis diet. (Because I had read how Jimmy Moore, the LC podcaster and advocate, had finally lost tons of weight through an 85F/15P/5C nutritional ketosis plan.)

I happened to notice a set of threads with "JUDDDD" in the title. I didn't even recognize what that stood for. I almost didn't have enough curiosity to look and see what it was. I was amazed to (re)discover that I had been one of the most active members in 2009, even publicizing the plan on other threads. Most of my old posts had been purged in site-wide space purges over the years, but I dug up a whole series of emails in gmail -- including passages quoting from my forum posts -- about it.

I stuck with JUDDDD for about three months, longer than any other concerted effort. One of the things I said was that the plan was so much more doable and sustainable than anything else I'd done. At 138, I described in detail looking great, feeling great, enjoying amazing/interesting/delicious food at dinner parties, wearing clothes that had been dormant for years...

Then the emails and posts just stop. This coincides with when my job at ________ became horrible. They knocked down (literally, bulldozer) the office where my department used to be -- where we had conviviality, great music, fun SF geekery and shared learning in a harmonious, comfortable, peaceful, stimulating environment. Instead we had to work out on the production floor, with forklifts rumbling by inches from where we sat, where it was so cold I would work wrapped in a blanket and wearing earmuffs and fingerless gloves, where it was so noisy that we would use the telephone to talk to a coworker at a desk 10 feet away. And we had to sit at different workstations depending on what job we were working on, so that any sense of personal space was completely removed. I got so depressed, I'm sure that's why I started making mistakes on the job that contributed to my being the one who got the axe in the next round of layoffs. Also I think I looked so miserable that they didn't want me around as a visual emblem of how low morale was company-wide! I remember that around that time I couldn't imagine putting effort into any kind of fitness plan. I just didn't have the gusto.

The other thing that I didn't realize was how my plan from Jan. 8 through March 2014 was almost exactly like what I did Jan. 8 through March of 2008: HCLF without restriction, with almost the same ratios. And with the same results: encouraging weight loss of several pounds within the first couple of weeks, creeping back up gradually, and then three months later back exactly where I started. As they say, those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it.

I was trying to decide between sticking with this current thing that I haven't tried before -- 70F/25P/5C with restriction to 1300 - 1400 calories (the restriction is the new part) for at least another week or two to see what happens, or going back to the one thing that actually did work in the past, my own plan, based on JUDDDD (but very different in some key ways), based on MWF restriction to 350-500 LCHF, and all other days tracking food (but not restricting it) and on the other four days of the week eating whatever I wanted -- which does not mean bingeing, but simply freedom to eat as I like, which is whole foods with a LCHF orientation, and with high-quality carby foods including treats as a possibility.

Then my husband came home for a break and I filled him in on my archaeological findings. I told him about my dilemma. He said it sounded like a no-brainer. I was about to explain why it was a dilemma and not a no-brainer, but then -- As often happens when talking to him, it really did become suddenly obvious. Why do anything besides something that worked? And not just worked sort of, but really, really worked, psychologically for me as well as physiologically? I mean, maybe daily restriction to 1200 or 1300 or whatever would work just as effectively. And maybe it will turn out that the alternate day thing will not work as well this time. But why try something else *before* attempting to revisit a previous success?

So....tomorrow I'll begin again, treating Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays as DD (Down Days), taking a break on the other days to just usually eat normally and sometimes some extras.

Last edited by weasel!; 04-07-2014 at 06:35 PM..
weasel! is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2014, 06:33 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Back Weasel! I came after you in 2012, and have stayed. It sounds like JUDDD worked for you and will work again. Keep us posted!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bigmama
Stats: 309/287/?
WOE: Atkins/paleo
Start Date: March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel! View Post
Hello friends. I want to share my story of finding and losing JUDDDD -- and now finding it again. Here is an email I sent to a friend this weekend that tells the tale. It's long! Rather than figure out how to tell the whole story again, I thought I could just include this letter here. By the way, today is my first DD for nearly five years. I'm already keto-adapted, so today has been pretty easy. I am so excited to join you all, and I feel GREAT!
I'm starting JUDDD tomorrow so thanks for posting.
Bigmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:49 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SuzeQ
Stats: 5'2"/75 years old 169/155/135
WOE: Anything that works!
Start Date: June 6, 2011
Weasel, I so completely understand what you are saying. I am back at JUDDD after sort of cruising all last year. I kept the weight I lost off but I really need to burn some fat now. Today was my first DD and I thought I could weigh in at under 500 calories for the day. Wrong! I just got too hungry but 500 is actually something I can accomplish. Now for the UD's. I am supposed to eat up to 1555 for an UD. Well, fine, but I don't want to weigh and measure every little thing or my whole week will be fixated on food. So, I have decided to stay at the 500 limit and on my UD's just eat what I want to eat. If I eat less than 1550 am not sure it will screw up the "plan" but what the heck you can't just weigh and measure forever. Your plan sounds sane and it inspired me.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HomeWorkerMT
Stats: 181/179.4/140. (55 yo)
WOE: WOE - My own way.
Start Date: Sept. 28, 2012
What a wonderful post, Weasel! I have tried numerous times to start various eating plans but I have a hard time committing to them. I started back with JUDDD today and really hope I can stick with it. I have been on a medication for migraines this past year that helped me add another 20 pounds to my already overweight frame. I was finally taken off the medicine in early February so at least I have stopped gaining! Your post is a real encouragement to me.

Thank you!
HomeWorkerMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:36 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: FindingCaro
Stats: 247/239/155
WOE: NK
Start Date: 17 March 2014
What is Juddd?
FindingCaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:35 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
back Vesna and bigmama! So glad you are both here!

FindingCaro - JUDDD stands for Johnson Up Day Down Day diet. It's eating very low calorie every other day (around 500 calories) and then maintenance calories the next. It's more fun than restricting every day. Google it or see the intro on this board: WHAT IS JUDDD? COME INSIDE AND SEE!!.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:01 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
weasel, welcome home.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:15 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/maintaining 135-139
Weasel,

Welcome back and good to know you're on track again.
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:04 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you all! DD#1 is done, and I'm one pound down already.

I'm back, baby!
Old 04-08-2014, 09:58 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
back weasel! Congratulations on a successful DD#1! And a pound down. Yesssss!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:12 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12

I hope you love juddd as much this time, as last time!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWorkerMT View Post
What a wonderful post, Weasel! I have tried numerous times to start various eating plans but I have a hard time committing to them. I started back with JUDDD today and really hope I can stick with it. I have been on a medication for migraines this past year that helped me add another 20 pounds to my already overweight frame. I was finally taken off the medicine in early February so at least I have stopped gaining! Your post is a real encouragement to me.

Thank you!
Slowsure has adapted her diet to help with migraines without meds. She posts a lot so it will be easy to find her.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:50 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for all the nice notes, everyone. Glad to be back, and see all these lovely new faces.

I talked to my mother-in-law today. "Remember a few years ago, when you came up to visit, and you said, 'Wow, you really have lost weight?'" I said, "And I got so slim, and bought new clothes and all that?"

"Ye-ah?" she said in her lilting Savannah drawl.

"Well, last weekend I was doing some research and digging around through my notes, and I finally figured out what was the diet I was doing where I lost all that weight!"

I waited for her to say, "What was it?" so that I could tell her how clever I was to have rediscovered the magic diet. But instead, she said this:

"Ye-ah, the one where you starved every other day. Ah remember that. You were doin' good!"

Oy. I should have just asked her in the first place!

2009 JUDDDD SUCCESS STORY
6/8-149; 6/11-147; 6/18-145; 6/20-144; 6/23-145; 6/25-146; 6/27-145; 6/29-146; 7/2-144; 7/4-143; 7/7-142; 7/9-141; 7/11-140; 7/14-141; 7/30-139; 8/1-138
VFT August 1 after 8 weeks of alternate-day dieting!
Old 04-10-2014, 12:28 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
"Ye-ah, the one where you starved every other day. Ah remember that. You were doin' good!"

Why do I get the feeling that altho' the accents would be wrong, I've just read a scene from The Golden Girls? (Disclosure: I'd never seen any episodes until this year and it's a tribute to the script writing that they'd held up so well over time.)
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:04 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Quote:
Thanks for all the nice notes, everyone. Glad to be back, and see all these lovely new faces.

I talked to my mother-in-law today. "Remember a few years ago, when you came up to visit, and you said, 'Wow, you really have lost weight?'" I said, "And I got so slim, and bought new clothes and all that?"

"Ye-ah?" she said in her lilting Savannah drawl.

"Well, last weekend I was doing some research and digging around through my notes, and I finally figured out what was the diet I was doing where I lost all that weight!"

I waited for her to say, "What was it?" so that I could tell her how clever I was to have rediscovered the magic diet. But instead, she said this:

FOFL
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:14 AM   #17
GME

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/199/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Why do I get the feeling that altho' the accents would be wrong, I've just read a scene from The Golden Girls? (Disclosure: I'd never seen any episodes until this year and it's a tribute to the script writing that they'd held up so well over time.)
I read it with Blanche's voice in my head too. I absolutely Golden Girls and watch an episode or so most evenings.

Good luck with your return Weasel. I also do M-W-F down days and it has worked out pretty well for me. I have been back at it for a little over a month after a long absence.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:29 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Location: Smack Dab in the center of Arkansas (Go Razorbacks!)
Gallery: arkie1
Stats: 286 highest 257/250.8/??
WOE: Low Carb-IF/cngd d to JUDDD/lc on 2/9/12 (230)
Start Date: Feb 8, 2010 IF ON 8-14-11
Thanks for your post, Weasel. I, too, am back after a long absence...it just feels like being home again! Good luck to you and to all of us in our journey. We know that it works if we just work it.
arkie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:08 PM   #19

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote