Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 07:34 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Joanna
A book that helped me immensely on my UD's

I wrote a little about this on the maintenance thread. I read this book called "How to Have Your Cake and Your Skinny Jeans" early in my journey doing alternative day fasting and I feel like it helped change my relationship with food. I have a history of seeing food as good or bad and would eat massive amounts before I started a new diet or when I fell off the wagon. I feel like finding IF and learning about hunger directed eating changed the way I view food, particularly on up days. I only eat when I'm physically hungry. If I'm faced with a piece of chocolate cake and I check in with my body and it turns out I'm not hungry, I pass or save it for when I am hungry. Or if I am eating the most delicious meal on the planet, and halfway through I start to feel full or the food doesn't taste as good, that's a cue that my body is satiated and getting full and I put down the fork. I can do this because no one is ever telling me that anything is off limits for me again. The amount of food noise in my head was insane. I feel liberated I'm not perfect but I do try to practice the principles and I am a huge devotee of intermittent fasting and will do some form of it for life!

My Journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...nny-jeans.html
50 pounds gone baby
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Happy Dance for Joanna! Isn't that a transition? Isn't it freeing?

I IF!!!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Wonderful Joanna! Anything that clicks on that lightbulb for us is a godsend. My lightbulb is on most of the time, but there are still moments when I need to rally all my determination and remember why I'm doing this. Thanks for the recommendation!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/124.2/122-125
WOE: Chronic Experimenter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna View Post
I wrote a little about this on the maintenance thread. I read this book called "How to Have Your Cake and Your Skinny Jeans" early in my journey doing alternative day fasting and I feel like it helped change my relationship with food. I have a history of seeing food as good or bad and would eat massive amounts before I started a new diet or when I fell off the wagon. I feel like finding IF and learning about hunger directed eating changed the way I view food, particularly on up days. I only eat when I'm physically hungry. If I'm faced with a piece of chocolate cake and I check in with my body and it turns out I'm not hungry, I pass or save it for when I am hungry. Or if I am eating the most delicious meal on the planet, and halfway through I start to feel full or the food doesn't taste as good, that's a cue that my body is satiated and getting full and I put down the fork. I can do this because no one is ever telling me that anything is off limits for me again. The amount of food noise in my head was insane. I feel liberated I'm not perfect but I do try to practice the principles and I am a huge devotee of intermittent fasting and will do some form of it for life!
Joanna, will you please post it in this thread, too? Books for Motivation

Thanks!
CarolinaCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I'll add it right now
Old 04-08-2014, 06:04 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
I can definitely relate to you post.
I have had a very similar and liberating experience from JUDDD and IF.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SuzeQ
Stats: 5'2"/75 years old 169/155/135
WOE: Anything that works!
Start Date: June 6, 2011
Love the post Joanna. It all makes perfect sense.
SuzeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:15 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I finished this book in a few days, and I would have to call it "life changing." It may very well be the last dieting book I ever need to read. I have a history of bingeing and this winter was really difficult for me. The book explains the process and the causes in words that could have come from my own mouth.

Anybody who has difficulty controlling UDs will probably find this book invaluable.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:34 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCoast View Post
I finished this book in a few days, and I would have to call it "life changing." It may very well be the last dieting book I ever need to read. I have a history of bingeing and this winter was really difficult for me. The book explains the process and the causes in words that could have come from my own mouth.

Anybody who has difficulty controlling UDs will probably find this book invaluable.
What a fantastic review thanks, so glad everyone is sharing
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:21 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Carolina Coast - Wow! That makes me so happy. I'm so glad the book spoke to you. I'm on my second reading of it now.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:50 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
This will have yo be the next on my reading list. Thanls for the recommendation.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: l'autour
Stats: 213/206/165
WOE: Keto
Start Date: September 2014
This sounds perfect for me!!! Exactly what I need help with. I was having serious binges over the winter, then I'd get back on the low carb wagon only to keep falling off.

I just started JUDDD and I planned a feast for my first up day. But I quickly realized I wasn't that hungry and I just ate what I wanted. I didn't stuff myself, didn't graze, just had my delicious meals and moved on. Knowing I didn't have to give up forever any foods made a difference. I have to get this book.
l'autour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:13 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I highly recommend Josie spinardi's utube videos as a companion to her book. The content is the same, but I find getting the information through multiple channels so helpful!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:14 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Ouiz! So great to see you.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:26 PM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by l'autour View Post
This sounds perfect for me!!! Exactly what I need help with. I was having serious binges over the winter, then I'd get back on the low carb wagon only to keep falling off.

I just started JUDDD and I planned a feast for my first up day. But I quickly realized I wasn't that hungry and I just ate what I wanted. I didn't stuff myself, didn't graze, just had my delicious meals and moved on. Knowing I didn't have to give up forever any foods made a difference. I have to get this book.
!
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:28 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Cici!!
Old 04-14-2014, 08:27 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no scale unless doing PHD
WOE: HDE, Potatoes as needed
Start Date: May 2014
I'm watching the videos.... WOW. I need this in my life
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:15 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: l'autour
Stats: 213/206/165
WOE: Keto
Start Date: September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green View Post
I'm watching the videos.... WOW. I need this in my life
This comment got me watching them, you're so right! I love the video where she talks about learned helplessness and emotional eating as a way of "licking your wounds." First I think that means acknowledging you have wounds. A lot of people, myself definitely included, want to be seen as strong and pride doesn't allow them to acknowledge that they are under real stress or that they have been hurt and deserve care. We think we should be able to handle things.

I have chronic pain issues and a bunch of different health problems. Everyone promises things will get better physically if you lose weight, and some things did, but for me losing 100 pounds put such great stress on my body that it made some of my health problems exponentially worse. I've noticed that on days when I'm feeling really bad physically, I go and stuff myself on snack foods. I even call them my medicine. But that's not real self-care!

Josie's point about licking your wounds instead of actually addressing the problem really hits home for me. Sometimes all I need is a good nap, or a hot bath, or shoot, to just take a pain pill because that's what they're for. Or I might need to make a new appointment with my doctor to advocate for my own health. Or I need to call someone over for help. Whatever the case, those would be steps to actually resolve the problem, whereas three honey buns do nothing at all for the pain.

The thing about JUDDD is that I don't have to say I'll never a honey bun or a cupcake again, I could probably have them four times a week if I want. But I like what Josie's saying because it helps me address why I'm eating what I eat and that's empowering because it gives me a real choice rather than the compulsion of emotional eating. It's not saying "this is a bad food and you should feel bad."

Last edited by l'autour; 04-14-2014 at 09:16 AM..
l'autour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:32 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
I love this book! I also bought the audio version via Josie's site and it's quite helpful to hear it as well.
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:09 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Several have mentioned reading the book and watching the videos. Was just wondering how everyone is implementing the suggestions. Has it changed your perspective on dieting? What are some of the things you find yourself enjoying? Do you find her strategies at all frightening, considering that so many of us have such a long history of dieting?
Old 04-15-2014, 12:45 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

I really had an epiphany after watching some of the videos and reading most of her book yesterday. I have totally lost touch with Hunger directed eating (HDE). It's nuts and dieting is completely to blame. It's making me re-think JUDDD at the moment as I think the DD's may trigger some feelings of deprivation. I knew to watch for this on JUDDD because I have a history overeating, restricting, and binging. For the most part, I haven't been following Hunger directed eating on my UD's. I will definitely implement HDE on any UD's from now on, though I wonder if I need to focus on the root of the problem and get off JUDDD for a while.

IE/HDE with Potato Days
Goal of 126lbs or 20-21% BF
Old 04-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

I've been following HDE eating now for 8 days with no DDs. I felt the same way you did. Although I've eaten what I want, I have had no overeating or bingeing episodes at all. I'm also surprised that my weight is remaining stable. I'm curious to see how that will play out when it's been a month instead of a week. It's more than a little frightening to me not to be "dieting," but I can defintely see what that's done to me over the years. I really saw myself in the Ancel Keys starvation study. The obscession with food and other symptoms have nearly become debilitating for me. Now I'm thinking I will also take her suggestion not to use the scale to measure progress. That one will be hard.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:09 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCoast View Post
I've been following HDE eating now for 8 days with no DDs. I felt the same way you did. Although I've eaten what I want, I have had no overeating or bingeing episodes at all. I'm also surprised that my weight is remaining stable. I'm curious to see how that will play out when it's been a month instead of a week. It's more than a little frightening to me not to be "dieting," but I can defintely see what that's done to me over the years. I really saw myself in the Ancel Keys starvation study. The obscession with food and other symptoms have nearly become debilitating for me. Now I'm thinking I will also take her suggestion not to use the scale to measure progress. That one will be hard.
Yes the ancel keys study really hit me hard as well. I feel like dieting has literally taken over my life. I'm so glad to hear you have been using hde for 8 days! How does it feel?
Old 04-16-2014, 07:40 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green View Post
Yes the ancel keys study really hit me hard as well. I feel like dieting has literally taken over my life. I'm so glad to hear you have been using hde for 8 days! How does it feel?
I'm loving it, but giving up dieting is very scary. I've had more than a little anxiety thinking that I should fast tomorrow to make up for what I've eaten today or skip breakfast and wait until lunch, lots of diet chatter in my head still. I started a journal to document the journey. I thought I'd like to keep up with it all in one place rather than scattered through my home journal. You're welcome to check it out if you want to. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...gry-beast.html
Old 04-17-2014, 03:50 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 146/133/120
I just wanted to say thanks for posting this.
I went back to LC, but over the weekend had some rebellious carb gorging. I always seem to lose on LC, but then sooner or later I binge and gain back whatever I lost. I'm still struggling, but at least I haven't given up hope.

Yesterday I decided to have a DD - went from 10pm Tuesday to 4:30pm Wednesday with just water/ diet coke. I got this book for my kindle after watching one of her youtube videos. When I had a DD in the past, I got in touch with that "true" hunger.

The book outlines a lot of useful tactics. She doesn't address emotional eating, but says she has a 2nd book coming out for that. While a lot of my binge eating is probably emotional, it is also a result of restriction (of anything). I'm often guilty of "Eating Because I Ate", and "Licking My Wounds."

I'm tentatively re-trying JUDDD, trying to use the methods in this book for my UDs. So far, so good. The scale was down 1.4 lbs today (love that DD!), and I'm trying to focus on good, nourishing LC foods. Using her suggestion to plate food, eat without distraction, and being present, I made an amazing omlette with cheese with a small avocado, and an extra bit of cheese on the side to reinforce I was eating all that I wanted. It was quite a bit of food (600 cals), but I still have ~900 left for dinner tonight. I'm not going to have lunch because I want to make sure I feel properly hungry before I eat again (and I'm having dental work done today).

I also loved the notion of eating the best bits first, instead of 'saving the best for last.' Everything in this book makes sense. I'm going to continue at it. I'd like to return to JUDDD. While low-carb works for weight loss, I need to repair the disordered thoughts I have with food. While I want to lose the weight 'as fast as possible,' I also want to repair my disordered eating patterns. I'm not sure how exactly this will happen, but learning how to be hungry on DDs helps some. DDs weren't the problem, UDs were.

Sorry for the long rambling. I'm struggling, but I figure that's better than just giving up. I'm not finished with the book yet, but it hits home more than I would have imagined.
kwerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:14 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: terryx
Stats: 199.6/171.8/130
WOE: Dr. Atkins/ IF / Juicing /JUDDD
Start Date: Dec 31, 2013
Downloaded to my Kindle yesterday. This book IS so good. Read half of it last night and already I am implementing some principles on my first UD.
Thanks for the information.
terryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:47 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just want to say that Rob Stevens book, The Overfed Head, also available on kindle, is the basis for all Josie Spinardi's work, and a wonderful book in its own right. I highly recommend it.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:33 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I just want to say that Rob Stevens book, The Overfed Head, also available on kindle, is the basis for all Josie Spinardi's work, and a wonderful book in its own right. I highly recommend it.
Thanks. Just downloaded it.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:32 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 146/133/120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Thanks for this. I'll be getting it too.
kwerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Well, I felt like I needed some motivational reading! Thanks for the heads up. Just bought it for my Kindle and look forward to getting into it this afternoon to pass the time on my DD.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote