Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200/140.4/140 (190/164/140)65yrs
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 2/1/14 @ 190)
Joanna, thank you for the recommendation. I am struggling right now & it's hard for me to see a way out. I will write about it on my journal here today. With my history of anorexia, I have issues with weight gain and weight loss! You can imagine what's running in this thick ol' skull of mine!

And the recommendations made by the rest of you, thanks. I will check those out as well. I can use all of the help I can get. I came here today to see if I could get a "handle" on my feelings. This post may have helped me the most.

I’ve always wanted to be normal, but lately I’ve come to suspect that this is it.
Shari4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2014, 09:52 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/124.2/122-125
WOE: Chronic Experimenter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shari4 View Post
Joanna, thank you for the recommendation. I am struggling right now & it's hard for me to see a way out. I will write about it on my journal here today. With my history of anorexia, I have issues with weight gain and weight loss! You can imagine what's running in this thick ol' skull of mine!

And the recommendations made by the rest of you, thanks. I will check those out as well. I can use all of the help I can get. I came here today to see if I could get a "handle" on my feelings. This post may have helped me the most.
Shari, I'd like to follow your journal, too. I also have a history of eating disoders. The suggestions in this book seem to be helping. Several of us are discussing it in my journal. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...y-beast-4.html
CarolinaCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:45 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Loved this book, too. Thanks for it.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:02 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/144.8/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
Thanks for posting about this book! I just downloaded it on my Kindle for reading while on vacation. Don't want to lose sight of my eating!
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:38 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
This sounds like something I need to read.
Jbinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:26 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
I can't find the paperback edition. I don't have a kindle nor do I really want one. I really need to read this book. maybe the library?
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:26 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonica View Post
I can't find the paperback edition. I don't have a kindle nor do I really want one. I really need to read this book. maybe the library?
You can download a kindle app to your computer for free. Then, you can purchase kindles' to read on your computer!
Old 04-25-2014, 05:37 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Thank you so much for mentioning this book. I'm only half way through, but so far I love it. I never would have read it based on the title ... it sounds like it would be one of a million light, substance-less diet books .... but it isn't. It's intelligent, sensible and insightful. I can't explain it, but the way the writer expresses the ideas-- plus the studies cited -- makes me really trust what she has to say. It's even applicable to other areas besides eating/food/dieting.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:55 AM   #39
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WJS
Stats: 165/136/125 Height 5.5"
WOE: Trying HDE
Start Date: August 27, 2012
Just received my Kindle fire (bought it for this book!) and downloaded it. Look forward to starting to read it tonight along with the other books mentioned here on the thread. Fingers crossed!!
WJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:12 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Joanna
I am so delighted so many of you have found this book to be helpful to you. I swear, it's like she was talking directly to me. I recognized myself in all the behaviors she described.

I actually bought this book sometime last year. It all made sense but I was in a place where I didn't trust it could ever work for me. No I just needed a diet! Low carb. Veg/vegan. Raw. Paleo. The Zone. If you can name it, I own the book and have spent at least 24 hours on it.

Then I found Dr. Mosely's book and the documentary he did for the BBC and I was introduced to the concept of intermittent fasting. I started the Fast Diet then I switched to ADF after a month and never looked back. I loved my fast days(down days) and felt like a super hero But I felt nervous on my up days and that's when I picked up the book again and it clicked. I read it twice back to back and use her methods every single day. When I find myself standing up eating in the kitchen or bringing a plate of food in front of the computer, I recognize the pattern and I stop.

I will never, ever be told again what I can and cannot eat. No labels for me. Forget healthy/unhealthy. Good/bad food. There is only food I like and food I dislike. I only eat the foods I really like and want. When the food stops tasting amazing, I recognize it as a sign of becoming full and I put my fork down and look at where I am. I almost always leave food on my plate. When I'm full, I'm full. An empty plate doesn't signal the end of a meal for me, my being satisfied and no longer hungry does now. And it's really easy to walk away when you know you can have the same food tomorrow if you want. There's no diet looming that's going to ban carbs or fat or meat or whatever.

But her book is brilliant in teaching you how to look at things. I love cake and it is allowed all day everyday *but* it makes me feel like crap so 99% of the time I don't eat it. Or if I do it's just a bite or two. But it's not some outside force telling me I can't have cake. It's me deciding so there is zero deprivation or denial.

It has been life changing for me

My Journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...nny-jeans.html
50 pounds gone baby
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:37 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

And one more thing...you really do go through a doritos and cheesecake phase when you let go of all the rules and restrictions. But for me, it didn't last long. I went to the grocery store and bought chips and garlic triscuits and a variety of cheeses and some candy bars(3 to be exact). Now sitting here a month later, the triscuits are still in the cabinet with only a few eaten and 2 candy bars are sitting in the drawer. I think those darn kids ate most of my chips. grumble lol!! That could have never happened before. They would have haunted me and I would have eaten all 3 candy bars before the sun went down. And I can walk in the kitchen and eat one or two triscuits and think they are the yummiest thing ever, then put the box back and move on with my day. I make a lot of healthy food choices because I like having lots of energy and abhor feeling stuffed and like I'm in a food coma. I'm choosing more vegetarian foods because it turns out, I actually really like vegetarian chili and missing egg salad. But I also love a grilled steak and that is great too.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:07 AM   #42
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WJS
Stats: 165/136/125 Height 5.5"
WOE: Trying HDE
Start Date: August 27, 2012
Joanna, thank you so much again for recommending the book. I am currently reading it and hopefully it will help me as much as it has helped you. Out of interest are you still intermittent fasting?

From just the part I have read of the book I would assume this would be against what she is recommending? Unfortunately I do have a binging problem and had to stop JUDDD after trying it for many months. The deprivation on DDs for me created a serious problem with binging. So interesting to hear how the deprivation of IF can work with taking part of her advice.
WJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:49 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Joanna, so glad you checked back in. I've been wondering how you're doing with this. Thank you so much for the recommendation. It has completely changed my life. I'm losing the obscession with my weight and food, and I finally feel like a normal person instead of a food neurotic. Quitting dieting is the best thing I've done for myself in a very long time. I'm in the mixed phase now where I still have my cake, but am enjoying more nutritious foods, too. Will you consider visiting the group that's discussing this in my journal? http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...gry-beast.html I think everyone would really appreciate your insights since we're mostly all beginners and only a few weeks in.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:41 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Old 04-29-2014, 03:44 PM   #45
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Downloaded both "The Overfed Head" and "How to Have Your Cake . . . " a little while ago. I've also subscribed to CC's journal and the IE thread in "Other Plans." Interesting reading . . .
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:26 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

I think that the book is a good fit overall with intermittent fasting. You have say 500 calories on down days. You could theoretically spend those calories on pizza and cookies. No one tells you what to eat. But I think we all learn that you can eat a lot of broccoli and egg whites or lean meats for 500 calories, so most of us choose wisely. The thing is, the choice is ours. It it's completely changed my relationship with food particularly on up days. I never eat breakfast. I never have been hungry but all the experts say it's a must. Not anymore. I trust myself. I listen to my cravings. Sometimes I give in and other times not. It depends on what I want and how the food will affect me over the course of the day.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:15 PM   #47
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ferk
Stats: 164/161/145 5'9
Start Date: 05/14
I'm having trouble finding the book. Amazon only has the kindle edition. Where did others get it?
Ferk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferk View Post
I'm having trouble finding the book. Amazon only has the kindle edition. Where did others get it?
I think it's only available in kindle edition.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #49
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I have a little victory to report.

I am reading the Skinny Jeans book and am about halfway through (my issues seem to be Food Gasping and I Ate Cuz I Ate). On my way home from work about 5:30 I feel real hunger coming on and am trying to think about what REALLY sounds good for dinner. I came up with roasted vegetables.

I had promised my kids hot dogs earlier in the week, so I made roasted vegetables and hot dogs. I just made 4 dogs, 2 for each kid, since hot dogs were not what I REALLY wanted. One kid ate 1 and one kid wasn't hungry, so there are these 3 hot dogs sitting there after I was done eating. I am satisfied, but get a hot dog anyway, telling myself "Its low carb.... Can't waste it.... blah, blah."

I took one bite and decided it didn't taste that good and I was not hungry. I gave it to the dog.

3/24/14- She is Beautiful 10k- I won!, 7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won!
9/14/14- Title 9K- I won!
11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:17 PM   #50
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Perfect Gina! You listened to your body's signals, trusted it, and that's a win!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:31 AM   #51

Awesome Gina!
Old 05-22-2014, 08:58 PM   #52
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ferk
Stats: 164/161/145 5'9
Start Date: 05/14
I've practically finished the book in the last two days. It's great. But the main messages of the book are completely incompatible with JUDDD. JUDDD is a diet! And even though it says you can eat whatever on DDs, you're still supposed to stay within a certain calorie range which is restricting and calorie counting. Add to that that many people combine JUDDD with low carbing and there you have categorizing foods as "good" or "bad". So right there are three main ways in which JUDDD doesn't jive with the basic concepts of the book.
Not bashing JUDDD. And I think the book is great. Doesn't mean they work together. You can't get rid of "diet talk" in your head while on a diet. Not possible.
Ferk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:28 PM   #53
Big Yapper!!!!

I'll have to conditionally disagree with you Ferk. I totally understand what you're saying, and I wasn't sure if it was possible either. A couple of caveats. I've been doing JUDDD for almost 2 years now (minus a couple of small breaks), so it has become truly a way of life for me. I doubt I could do it if I was just starting out with JUDDD because then I was totally into all the rules and calorie limits. Next is, I still have weight I want to lose, but I have truly realized that I want to keep JUDDDing for the health benefits I have experienced from EOD fasting, even once I've lost all my weight. She does say that if you have reasons such as religious, or some other beliefs or health restrictions, that it can be done.

I am just beginning to try to mesh the two together, but I must say I am more comfortable JUDDDing with IE, mostly because I've given up counting calories and restricting myself on UDs. So technically, I'm not doing JUDDD "by the book" because I'm not using the recommended UD calories. But I also realize that I'm more comfortable eating less because I'm not restricing those days and don't feel like I have to get in every single calorie I'm entitled to.

We do have several JUDDDers here who have not counted UDs almost from day one and have been tremendously successful, including getting to and maintaining their goal weight. I'm using them as my role models!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
Old 05-23-2014, 12:09 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
So technically, I'm not doing JUDDD "by the book" because I'm not using the recommended UD calories.
!
Carol, actually you ARE doing JUDDD by Dr. Johnson's new book. (and maybe the old one too, I don't remember).
From a paraphrase of the new book in this post:
Quote:
NO MENTION OF AN UP DAY CALORIE NUMBER. Wow. He does mention you may have to "watch calories" after the first three months, but he seems to advocate an awareness of food intake via journaling and healthy eating/eating to hunger and emphasizes the importance of both not feeling deprived and not going crazy on up days. He also stresses that there is not a required up day number and you do not have to consume all the up day calories on the calculator... in fact, he says "the sole purpose of using the calculator is to estimate the number of calories to eat on your down days ...there is no specific calorie requirement for the up day" (emphasis Dr. Johnson's).
Some of our JBs have found up day counting helpful, while others have done well without.

Last edited by calichris; 05-23-2014 at 12:14 AM..
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:30 AM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
I hadn’t realised that the new book didn’t specify calories for up days. I’ve never counted them. I don’t treat them as a complete free-for-all, but I don’t count, or worry about being terribly strict either.
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:56 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UtahDesert
Stats: 170?/124/125
WOE: JUDDD/IE
Start Date: 1/27/2014
I'm going to chime in with Carol on this. (I think I've used that exact phrase before on the same issue.) The parts of JUDDD/IF that work for me and the parts of HDE/IE that work for me seem to be very compatible. Let's see if I can briefly summarize what I've gathered from various sources--I'll try to designate which ones are IE (intuitive eating) and which are IF (intermittent fasting):
1) Don't feel that you have to follow some rigid set of rules--IE. Take ideas and insights, try them out, and go with what works for you.
2) Hunger is nothing to be afraid of. You don't have to eat pro-actively in order to keep hunger from happening later--IE. And you also don't have to eat each time you feel hunger--IF.
3) Food tastes better when you're hungry--IE. You can use this a gauge of when to stop eating (useful for IE and for IF), and you can also use this knowledge as a way to delay treats, knowing that they'll taste so much better when you're really hungry (useful for IF).
4) Everything is allowed, no particular food is forbidden--IE and IF. You just need to choose when you eat and when you stop eating, based on some combination of your hunger (IE and IF) and/or choices you've made about a fasting routine (IF).
5) But as you choose your food, keep in mind how it's made you feel in the past (IE especially). If sugar gives you headaches or protein/fat keeps your energy level solid for hours, then you may find yourself leaning low-carb in your choices.
UtahDesert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:52 AM   #57
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I am very new at combining JUDDD and HDE, but here's what I have been doing: I follow HDE pretty much as written on UDs.

On DDs I quit counting calories too. I have a green juice and berry concoction I drink (I did figure out the calories before HDE and its 100 cals for a good-size container) and I take two of them to work. I drink a third at night or give myself the option of fruits or veggies. I don't really limit how much I eat, but I am limiting what types of food I eat I guess.

For example, last night I was shopping after work. I got pretty hungry and still had to drive home in traffic. I got out a box of blueberries I just bought. I ate a few handfuls (and could have easily finished it off and would have in the past) and then stopped myself to assess whether I was hungry anymore. I wasn't so I closed them up and put them in the backseat. Later at home I got hungry again and ate an apricot.

So I don't know exactly how many calories I ate, but it couldn't have been many. I run into trouble when I am counting exactly on DDs and I figure out I can squeeze in 25 calories of this or that, which leads to 50, etc, etc. I become food-obsessed. This feels easier so far. If I am hungry, I eat. I am 70 lbs overweight. I think I am destined to cut back on what I am eating in some way for a while at least.

When I have been at this longer than a week I will let you all know.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:58 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferk View Post
I've practically finished the book in the last two days. It's great. But the main messages of the book are completely incompatible with JUDDD. JUDDD is a diet! And even though it says you can eat whatever on DDs, you're still supposed to stay within a certain calorie range which is restricting and calorie counting. Add to that that many people combine JUDDD with low carbing and there you have categorizing foods as "good" or "bad". So right there are three main ways in which JUDDD doesn't jive with the basic concepts of the book.
Not bashing JUDDD. And I think the book is great. Doesn't mean they work together. You can't get rid of "diet talk" in your head while on a diet. Not possible.
JUDDD is an eating schedule, not a diet. What foods you choose to eat are totally up to you. I've never restricted any foods while doing JUDDD. I agree about the calorie restricting, but not about the food choices.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:56 PM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
The past 6 posts could not have been better stated. I am really enjoying combining the 2 ways of eating and find it quite easy.

I said quite some time ago that I consider JUDDD a way to improve health, which is how it started out for Dr. Johnson in the first place, and it led to weight loss as one of the perks.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #60
Big Yapper!!!!

Ferk, I hope you don't feel like we're ganging up on you! That was not my intention and, I'm sure, is not the intention of anyone here. Your thoughts are welcome and as valid as anyone else's. And if JUDDDing and HDE don't sync up for you because you feel "diety" on DDs, then by all means, don't do it! Not yet anyway....you may change your mind on down the road.

I do get where you're coming from. In the beginning, JUDDD feels amazingly free on UDs, but consists of some pretty serious restriction on DDs. Very different from anything most people have ever tried. And DDs can be quite challenging, even after you've been doing it for awhile. But once it's ingrained, mostly it feels like no big deal, which is where I was coming from in my response.

And Christina, thanks for the reminder that Dr. Johnson suggests not counting on UDs. I guess I have blocked that out because when I read it I was feeling very restricted by my calorie counts and thought "Yeah right, like I will ever come even near as low as 1750 calories if I don't count." Now, I don't know where I come in, but I'm betting that some UDs are right around there or even lower. Some are higher, I'm sure.