Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: delyn
Stats: 172/147/115
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 3/31/2014
JUDDD & Lifting (NROLFW)

So, I noticed in some threads that some people mentioned about doing the NROLFW (New Rules of Lifting for Women) strength program and doing JUDDD.

I was just wondering what you all were doing about the nutrition/calories? According to the weight loss calorie goal that the author of NROLFW provides, I should be eating 1610 on non-lifting days, and 1865 on days I lift, which averages over the week to around 1700/day.

However, with JUDDD my average comes out to about 1400/day. (UD: 2200, DD: 600). I'm not sure if I should be try to meet the NROLFW average, or just follow JUDDD numbers while following the lifting routine.

Any thoughts/advice?
delyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I'll be starting NROLFW as soon as I get my book too. And I am experimenting with calories with JUDDD. I think that Dr. Johnson didn't take into consideration specifically lifting heavy, but if you use the higher levels of activity on his calculator, you may find it gets closer to what NROLFW recommends.

I just worry that lifting heavy without adequate fuel would not get us the results we're hoping for, and if I'm going to work that hard, I want results!

This is going to be very interesting, seeing what we all do with our calories, our losses, and our progress with the workouts!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:48 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I'm currently not rotating, but have read a lot about needing adequate calories and protein (as well as carbs) to fuel a lifting workout and to aid in muscle repair and gains. It seems to me, if you want to build muscle, you need to eat at a surplus (scary, I know). If you want to maintain the muscle you have, you need to eat at maintenance levels. If you want to lose weight, you need to eat at a deficit. This is where I get really confused, because with JUDDD, the metabolism is supposed to be spared with the higher-than-maintenance UDs rotated with the very low DDs. Muscle is also supposed to be spared, but I'm not really sure it is (I'm also not sure it isn't).

I'm no help, I know, but I'm thinking about this too. I agree with Carol, that if you factor in the higher activity levels on the calculator, your average might be closer to what's suggested in NROLFW.

I'm leaning toward (if/when I ever start the program!), continuing to eat at TDEE for maintenance, and adding back exercise calories. The only reason I'm thinking of doing it this way is because I think I need the incentive of being able to eat more to make me work out.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:31 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by delyn View Post
So, I noticed in some threads that some people mentioned about doing the NROLFW (New Rules of Lifting for Women) strength program and doing JUDDD.

I was just wondering what you all were doing about the nutrition/calories? According to the weight loss calorie goal that the author of NROLFW provides, I should be eating 1610 on non-lifting days, and 1865 on days I lift, which averages over the week to around 1700/day.

However, with JUDDD my average comes out to about 1400/day. (UD: 2200, DD: 600). I'm not sure if I should be try to meet the NROLFW average, or just follow JUDDD numbers while following the lifting routine.

Any thoughts/advice?
Those sound like high numbers for your current weight. Did you already add in exercise calories?

I believe, that in general, JUDDD spares muscle and metabolism with the UD/DD rotation.

We are all unique and all in different phases of life, but I think by eating our UD calories EOD the body ceases being stressed and is able to keep chugging along with all a body needs to do.

I don't know anything about NROLFW, so can't chime in there.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:47 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

I exercise fairly regularly, so the UD calories I got from the calc. were 2200, and I originally got 460 for DD for 20%, but I went up to around 25-30% because I think it'll be more maintainable for me.

I guess there will be a lot of experimenting going on within the next few months...heh
Old 04-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
The weights I lift at present are so small that I'm in no position to comment on NROLFW tho' I hope it works very well for you. Your plan to eat 25-30% and observe what happens is a good one.

OT: I keep accidentally clicking people's profiles instead of threads when I use an iPad - and I wanted to say how charming the photo' of you at the table is - tho' I had been hoping to see a close up of your cable (?) knit scarf.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:34 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
I have nothing to offer on the calorie confusion. I'm eating more at the moment, probably because I just want to, so I've found a rationale through EM2WL.
We'll see how it goes.
What I am popping in for is to encourage anyone who is attracted to heavy-ish lifting.
For the time and energy invested, the payoff is huge.
I did a lot of it when I was younger and returned to it about two or three months ago when I heard myself complaining that I'm getting one of those menopausal bodies - completely lacking in definition and strength (where did my arms and shoulders go?!?!?), blubby abdomen and lower back.
I have no interest in returning to a gym. I live too far away and it just isn't my thing these days.
I started with just four exercises I could do at home with limited equipment (one large dumbbell that happened to be in our barn/garage collecting rust).
I googled Jonathon Bailor Home Eccentric Exercises and found a reasonably comprehensive, minimalist workout. Heavy, very brief, and wonderful.
I started at once per week and now do two or three times per week. It takes fifteen minutes.
And I have arms and shoulders emerging! I've already had to add a couple of strap-on weights (I used them to rehab an old running injury and forgot to give them away) to my wrist to increase the weight I'm using because of my improved strength. Exciting.
I say this to encourage anyone who is put off by the huge commitment exercise can entail.
This is so short lived that it's over before you can possibly become discouraged. You don't even need to change out of your pyjamas to do it. You could do it while eating Wendy's chili and watching your favourite tv show. You can sip on a coffee and contemplate your next holiday while getting stronger.
It's good to feel some power in this body again.
I'm also grateful for the simplicity of it, given how crazily confusing all this diet stuff can be.
Hope this encourages if you're on the fence.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
delyn!!! I'm so glad you asked this question. The responses will certainly help everyone.

Kristen, I am so interested in what you are reading. I am going to look for that ASAP!!! That sounds so do-able to me. Thank you so much for sharing!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

SlowSure: aw thanks! I'm actually not sure what kind of scarf it is--I borrowed it from my friend for the photo shoot. But I do remember it was very warm!

Joyjoy: Thanks for sharing that info! Definitely something to look into for the days where I may not be able to put in a long workout.

I will be starting the program tomorrow, so I'm pretty excited to start and see what results, whether strength, weight/fat loss, or both happens by the end. :0)
Old 04-06-2014, 05:00 PM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Exciting delyn! Good luck and I can't wait to hear what you think.

My NROLFW is scheduled to get to my Walmart on Tuesday, so hopefully I can swing by and get it Tuesday evening. Can't wait to start reading and dive in!
Old 04-06-2014, 05:22 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no scale unless doing PHD
WOE: HDE, Potatoes as needed
Start Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
I googled Jonathon Bailor Home Eccentric Exercises and found a reasonably comprehensive, minimalist workout. Heavy, very brief, and wonderful.
I started at once per week and now do two or three times per week. It takes fifteen minutes.
Thanks for mentioning this! I did his exercises today... It's crazy how tough they are when executed in the fashion he suggests. But just 6 reps and it's over!

I had totally forgotten about them since I read his book back in January.
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:42 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green View Post
Thanks for mentioning this! I did his exercises today... It's crazy how tough they are when executed in the fashion he suggests. But just 6 reps and it's over!

Glad you enjoyed it, Green!
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:59 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delyn View Post

I will be starting the program tomorrow, so I'm pretty excited to start and see what results, whether strength, weight/fat loss, or both happens by the end. :0)
Are you doing 2200/600 to start with? Or upping them to reach your average of 1610-1865?
How often will you be strength-training?

Keep us updated! I look forward to hearing about your journey with this!

Last edited by Green; 04-07-2014 at 06:03 AM..
Old 04-07-2014, 06:33 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Are you doing 2200/600 to start with? Or upping them to reach your average of 1610-1865?
How often will you be strength-training?

Keep us updated! I look forward to hearing about your journey with this!
I'll be starting with 2200/600 and see how that works for a bit. If I feel like my lifting is going well, or my recovery is taking too long, then I might increase it.

For now, I'm aiming to lift 3 times a week--so Tuesdays, Thursdays, & Saturdays!
Old 04-07-2014, 07:08 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Joanna
I'm going to google him right now. I've reached my goal on the scale but I want to build up some muscle mass now.
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:17 AM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

Is there somewhere I can find the exercises online? I found the squat/hanging/etc. exercises...the only thing I wouldn't have access to at home is somewhere to hang--nor could I hold on for any amount of time lol.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
I agree. It is all doable except for the "hanging".
Is there an alternative for it?
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Is there somewhere I can find the exercises online? I found the squat/hanging/etc. exercises...the only thing I wouldn't have access to at home is somewhere to hang--nor could I hold on for any amount of time lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLynn View Post
I agree. It is all doable except for the "hanging".
Is there an alternative for it?
PM with your emails and i can email pics from my book.

You're referring to the pullups when you say hanging? A pull-up bar is relatively inexpensive, but I used the ledge above the door on the entrance to my apt (standing on a chair w/ knees bent). Some of my body weight remains in my feet while I lower myself from the bar for ten seconds. Maybe Ill be strong enough to do it without supporting my weight soon!
Old 04-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

Okay, am I stupid? I can't find the Jonathon Bailor exercises! Are they on his website? Is it a video, or an article explaining them?
Old 04-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

there is no "specific" site I have found that lays it all out.
You have to kind of hunt and peck and look at what pops up when you google his name. I think I got the most from a podcast.

There are several different good sites about eccentric exercise.
(When I first read this term I wondered what was so eccentric about it. Come to find out its the opposite of Concentric. I'm probably spelling it wrong.

I did find a youtube, different guy, that is pretty good and is where I've started.
its :eccentric exercise and training workout". by RichWellness.
Very basic and good place to start for out of shape beginners like me.

I have been interested in doing weight/resistance training for while now and this really seems to be something I can stick to. Having good muscle structure gets more important as we get older. Plus muscle tissue burns a lot more calories.

I HATE to exercise, one reason being it just seems to take so long to see any results. And I've just never been a very active person. Walking is boring to me, but I do love riding my bike.

I just don't stick to something very long if it doesn't seem to be working.

And I have to build up some stamina for my upcoming trip to Europe. I don't want my daughter to feel like she has to slow way down for me, and there will be SO MUCH to see and do.

"When a person has had too much to eat, fasting is the smartest thing he could do.” – Mark Sisson, Mark’s Daily Apple.

BElieve in
YOUrself!

Last edited by JayLynn; 04-07-2014 at 10:25 AM..
Old 04-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Okay, I did find it, and printed it out. Carol, I sent you the link on FB. I might also look into buying a chin-up bar. Bf could get some use out of it too lol.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Cindy! That's perfect. I've been wondering about a chin-up bar too. You'll have to let us know if you get one and what you think of it.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:07 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

I've been weight lifting for a few days now. I am so happy with how I am feeling. It really seems to "rev my metabolism". I know some people don't like that term, but I don't know how else to describe it. I have more energy, its improving my overall mood and I'm finding it harder to sit for very long. That is a miracle for me!
Old 04-07-2014, 12:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Okay, I did find it, and printed it out. Carol, I sent you the link on FB. I might also look into buying a chin-up bar. Bf could get some use out of it too lol.
Is it all laid out in one document? I'd like a copy.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
I, too am interested.
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:35 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

I accessed the exercises through the book the calorie myth
Old 04-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #27

I signed up on Bailor's site, but haven't yet ordered The Calorie Myth. I'm wondering if I get the e-book, if there's any way to print out the exercises.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
Quote:
I accessed the exercises through the book the calorie myth
Thank you!!
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #29
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Is it all laid out in one document? I'd like a copy.
Sent it to you too. I also googled "alternatives to chin ups", and found some excellent dumbbell exercises--black woman, I can't remember the site. Targets the back, which is what the hanging exercise does.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:45 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

I've sent the link to the simple eccentric home workout to Dawn and Carol on FB. If anybody else wants it, befriend me. Kristin Shepherd. Am I allowed to say my name?
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote