Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #61
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I was able to read about half of NROLFW last night, and tonight I'll read the rest, so I won't try to do any of it. For my first try, I want to practice the moves without any weights and make sure my form is really good. I also want to figure out how much I can actually do at home, or if I'll need to go to the community center.

So tonight I'll do some eccentric stuff with my resistance bands. With a sexy voice talking to me. Over the internet, darnit!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/145.8/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Barb, I just sent it to you on FB. Enjoy.
Thanks! I am going to look it over and give it a try tomorrow.
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #63

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I just got back from Target with a handy dandy new set of adjustable hand weights (up to 30 pounds - 15 pounds each). I think I'm going to try the METabata I was reading about in the Prevention magazine article. It's 8 minutes per day, IIRC. If that doesn't work out, the hand weights will work well with the Bailor exercises, too. That's the plan, anyway. We'll see if/when I get around to actually doing them!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I just got back from Target with a handy dandy new set of adjustable hand weights (up to 30 pounds - 15 pounds each). I think I'm going to try the METabata I was reading about in the Prevention magazine article. It's 8 minutes per day, IIRC. If that doesn't work out, the hand weights will work well with the Bailor exercises, too. That's the plan, anyway. We'll see if/when I get around to actually doing them!
If you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for your weights? I love those adjustable ones, but the ones that go up to 30+ pounds are several hundred dollars. That was the final push for me to join the gym - weights.

Speaking of the gym, this is only kinda off topic. I was in the free weight area the other day getting ready to lift and some skeezy guy was there too. He picked up the 20# dumbells and was doing bicep curls, all gunty-like, looking at me out of the corner of his eye in the mirror. I'm like - dude, not impressed. He finished and I was doing something else and a few minutes later, I picked up the 20s for my squat/bicep curl combo thing I do. (Bearing in mind I lift to fatigue in 8-10 reps so I'm going extra heavy.) I thought he was going to pass out when he realized I was lifting the same weight he was when he thought he was all impressive. Why do guys do that at the gym?? EEWWWWWW! And I feel obligated to point out that I am no treat on the eyes, especially at the gym post run, while lifting.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:58 PM   #65

I'll bet you're more of a treat than you realize! I love that you're lifting heavy like that and I really want to work up to that! At least you know he won't hit on you......you could totally take him!
Old 04-10-2014, 11:20 PM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

My post above was supposed to read "all grunty-like", not gunty.
Actually, truth be told, 20# is just a bit too much for me yet. I was hurting pretty badly the last couple days. The thing is I really need 1/2 step sizes, like 12.5# and 17.5# for a lot of my stuff where I'm out of the 10 or 15# but not quite ready for a 5# jump yet. Which is why I was super interested in the adjustable weights since most of those go up by 2.5# increments. But, alas, I don't think its meant to be.
On another semi-unrelated note, I think I have finally figured out my running shoe problem and I may now have found the perfect style and size to keep my toe nails intact, blister free and protect my ankle. Excited about that.
And I'm thinking ahead to the Disneyland 1/2 marathon week-end where I need TWO Disney-inspired themed running costumes. I can only imagine the "Frozen" princesses will be done to death...accepting ideas on who I can dress as for at least one of the races!
Old 04-11-2014, 12:17 AM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 146/133/120
Yennie, that is sooooo annoying! What an idiot.
I was trying out the machines yesterday: I purposely took a lunch break in the afternoon so the circuit wouldn't be crowded, and *still* there was one grunty dude there.

Also? It's super annoying that there was ONE shoulder press machine, but dudes tend to SIT at it for ~4 min because they're resting between the sets. Guess I'll have to get used to that.

So yesterday I did eccentric leg presses and chest presses to failure. I could only use about 20 lbs for the arms. The weights are in increments of 10#. Then I went around and "played" with the other machines, which the gym rep suggested**. Today I'm very "owwie" all over. I'm going to let my muscles recover until Sunday and then give it another go. In between I'm going to make sure and WALK an hour a day, but not stray into chronic cardio. Feeling good about things so far.

**I wanted an introduction to the weight machines to prevent hurting myself, so I requested someone show me around. The guy couldn't have been more beefcake, but he was really nice/friendly and was encouraging. He said that the weight machines were safest/ user friendly; when I want to "move up" he'll show me the cable machines.
kwerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:15 AM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
We'll be making our own eccentric videos before you know it. Who's got a sexy voice? I'll direct.
My DH's voice sends US colleagues weak-kneed (so I've heard). He also has a male colleague who's a fitness model - so perhaps you could have a dubbing thing going on

Having and storing sufficient weight at home is such a bulky nuisance but gym membership is so stupidly expensive in the UK that paying such fees for a quick in and out workout 1-2 a week seems absurd.

Kwerp - depending on the gym, some people don't mind being asked to rest somewhere else so that you can nip in for your set if you explain it's 1 quick set with no rest breaks.

Yennie - the Starting Strength people talk about adding extra plates of 1 lb (aka micro plates) that they source from various places and smaller increments they manage with chain link (iirc). Others have good solutions:
Quote:
I have been trying to figure out how i wanted to hit my odd weights (ex. 179, 184 etc) Some people have paid $50+ for fractional plates, but i didn't want to pay that much. I also didn't want to make chains and have to bring them to the gym with me.. So i did some research and found what i wanted. I came home with some Bodyfit adjustable ankle weights from SportsAuthority. They were only $17.99 and hold up to ten 1/4lb weights each, making them adjustable up to 5lbs. The weights easily slide in and out for quick change, and easily strap onto any bar..

Sept 2014 A recent DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.

Last edited by SlowSure; 04-11-2014 at 01:26 AM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:39 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 146/133/120
Slowsure - I don't think I'd have the confidence to ask someone to leave! Next time I'll make a point of hovering near the equipment. I missed out on it, because every time I turned around, some dude was resting there!

Also, what started out as "owwie" is now officially OMG I'm sore!! I think it's getting worse as the day progresses. I read somewhere that eccentric muscle soreness peaks around 48 hr!! I'm hoping my walk today will help my legs a bit...
kwerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:26 AM   #70
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Yennie, Walmart has adjustable dumbbells for as low as 29.00, for the ones with the plates (old-fashioned style), and Weider's "regular" dumbbells for 73.00--they are up to 25 lbs with 2.5 increments.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:09 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
If you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for your weights? I love those adjustable ones, but the ones that go up to 30+ pounds are several hundred dollars. That was the final push for me to join the gym - weights.
I got a set for $42.99. It came with 2 bars and several plates in 1.25 and 2.5 lb increments. It's not a full weight set, like for a bench, but just adjustable hand weights/dumb bells. I was going to just get 2 10lb dumb bells, but they were $16.99 each, so I thought it was a better deal to get the adjustable set since I really don't know what weight I can do to failure.

I have a gym membership, and used to go quite often for classes, but have not been back since my favorite instructor left. I could and should, but I'm still intimidated by the free weight area, and just don't have a solid enough plan in place for the machines.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
Old 04-11-2014, 06:31 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Planelman
Stats: 350.1/206.4/190(10%BF) 6' 44
WOE: Leangains/Carb Backloading
Start Date: 7/14/2011
Quote:

Speaking of the gym, this is only kinda off topic. I was in the free weight area the other day getting ready to lift and some skeezy guy was there too. He picked up the 20# dumbells and was doing bicep curls, all gunty-like, looking at me out of the corner of his eye in the mirror. I'm like - dude, not impressed. He finished and I was doing something else and a few minutes later, I picked up the 20s for my squat/bicep curl combo thing I do. (Bearing in mind I lift to fatigue in 8-10 reps so I'm going extra heavy.) I thought he was going to pass out when he realized I was lifting the same weight he was when he thought he was all impressive. Why do guys do that at the gym?? EEWWWWWW! And I feel obligated to point out that I am no treat on the eyes, especially at the gym post run, while lifting.
I close my eyes when I'm in the free weight area! I'm there for me and I try to zone everything else out around me and I don't want to be distracted. But also I don't want anyone to think I'm looking at them if I look in the mirror. I probably look stupid, but I assume I don't look creepy or skeezy!
Planelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:10 AM   #73
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
On another semi-unrelated note, I think I have finally figured out my running shoe problem and I may now have found the perfect style and size to keep my toe nails intact, blister free and protect my ankle. Excited about that.
And I'm thinking ahead to the Disneyland 1/2 marathon week-end where I need TWO Disney-inspired themed running costumes. I can only imagine the "Frozen" princesses will be done to death...accepting ideas on who I can dress as for at least one of the races!
How about Tinkerbell? Some green fabric store tulle all bunched up around your waist.

Minnie Mouse could be some kind of skirt (red polka dot I think) on top of black shorts or capris, ears and white gloves.

Which distances are you running? I can't imagine running a half in a costume. By mile 8 I am annoyed by a zipper pull bouncing, a strand of hair touching my neck, one capri leg pulled up higher than the other, the list goes on..... . It would have to be a very comfortable costume.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
I can't imagine running a half in a costume. By mile 8 I am annoyed by a zipper pull bouncing, a strand of hair touching my neck, one capri leg pulled up higher than the other, the list goes on..... . It would have to be a very comfortable costume.
I know, I know! During my last (which was only my second) marathon, I ran with music. For the last half, I played the same song over and over, about three thousand times. Every time I tried a new one, it felt like seams rubbing the wrong way all over my body.
Have not listened to that song once since.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #75
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
I know, I know! During my last (which was only my second) marathon, I ran with music. For the last half, I played the same song over and over, about three thousand times. Every time I tried a new one, it felt like seams rubbing the wrong way all over my body.
A marathon. That's cool.

I always run with music or an audio book or something to drown out the sound of my own breathing. I can't stand to hear myself breathe.

I was training for a marathon when I had to have achilles surgery (unrelated to running oddly enough). I would like to do at least one. I have to re-lose some lbs and work back up to running longer than 5 mimutes without a walk break or they'll close the course on me.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:30 PM   #76
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
This made me think of a story I heard a long time ago about a man who was in a car accident where he was pinned inside his car overnight (survived without serious injury). He had a Wham cassette tape stuck in his cassette player that continuously played over and over. His quote was, "I'll never listen to Wham again."
Old 04-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/145.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
That makes sence to not want to hear that song for a while Kristin! I ran half of a race lissenig to the same song repeating and didn't even realize it until I finished.
Yennie that will be so much fun! We made up matching t-shirts when we ran Goofy and it was great how many people noticed and asked us questions.
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #78
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I'm doing all the arm machines at 40 pounds. I can do the ab machine with 40 pounds too, but tend to use whatever is there since it's hard to change (it only goes up to 40lb).

The leg machines usually hurt my back so will only do those with the trainer for now. I think my spine and related arthritis could be seriously injured with free weights. I'll ask the trainer what he thinks next time.

I would love to run a marathon one day. A huge goal for me if my spine can take it. I can imagine doing that in a Disney costume...

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:56 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I got a set for $42.99. It came with 2 bars and several plates in 1.25 and 2.5 lb increments. It's not a full weight set, like for a bench, but just adjustable hand weights/dumb bells. I was going to just get 2 10lb dumb bells, but they were $16.99 each, so I thought it was a better deal to get the adjustable set since I really don't know what weight I can do to failure.

I have a gym membership, and used to go quite often for classes, but have not been back since my favorite instructor left. I could and should, but I'm still intimidated by the free weight area, and just don't have a solid enough plan in place for the machines.
Very interesting about the adjustable weights. I have 3lb, 5lb and 8lb weights and those are too light for me for most lifts (Barbie weights!). I'm trying to get additional resistance by doing moves Super-Slow, which really does make a huge difference in difficulty and when I hit muscle failure. Also, I have put together a decent resistance band routine and do it Super-Slow, which I feel like I can progress with.

I read NROLFW and it was extremely interesting, but I'm just not sure how to make it work. I really want to be able to do this at home rather than have to go somewhere. So I got from the library another book. It's Body By You: The You Are Your Own Gym Guide to Total Women's Fitness. I read the whole thing this morning, and I really like the idea. I think I'm going to start this routine and see how I do. The progression seems endless and the hardest moves look really hard. I like that you really don't need anything but yourself, a countertop, desk, doorway, or if you want to get fancy, a chin-up bar. I'm going to do the Evaluation sessions next Wednesday and Friday, and then get started in earnest the next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planelman View Post
I close my eyes when I'm in the free weight area! I'm there for me and I try to zone everything else out around me and I don't want to be distracted. But also I don't want anyone to think I'm looking at them if I look in the mirror. I probably look stupid, but I assume I don't look creepy or skeezy!
I bet you look super-focused, Mike. I'm sure you don't look creepy or skeezy, and you're giving the females the perfect opportunity to check YOU out without being caught!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I'm doing all the arm machines at 40 pounds. I can do the ab machine with 40 pounds too, but tend to use whatever is there since it's hard to change (it only goes up to 40lb).

The leg machines usually hurt my back so will only do those with the trainer for now. I think my spine and related arthritis could be seriously injured with free weights. I'll ask the trainer what he thinks next time.

I would love to run a marathon one day. A huge goal for me if my spine can take it. I can imagine doing that in a Disney costume...
You have gone from basically inactive to a hard-core workout woman right before our eyes! I'm impressed!

Speaking of my aforementioned resistance band, Super-Slow routine, I can really feel it today! I love that feeling! Not so sore I can't move, but enough that there's no doubt I challenged myself. Who is this person I'm becoming?

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!

Last edited by LoCarbGal; 04-13-2014 at 12:57 PM..
Old 04-13-2014, 04:28 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
I'm going to add the resistance bands too. Now I have to go find them.
I'm starting to stress out about all the stamina Ill need for this upcoming trip. I had terrible knee trouble on our last vacation to CA and LV. That just cannot happen again!. I have been taking my glucosamine regularly and that seems to help, and riding my bike several days a week. And with the weight lifting I'm hoping I'll be fine. I've lost 14 lbs since January so its only fair that being lighter will help too! For some reason I just hate to walk, so doing a lot of it is going to be interesting.

"When a person has had too much to eat, fasting is the smartest thing he could do.” – Mark Sisson, Mark’s Daily Apple.

BElieve in
YOUrself!
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:59 AM   #81

Did some major cleaning yesterday morning. Then we took Keira to the park and did some softball practice. I did lots of running (jogging and sprinting) and everything's sore this morning, so I'm counting it!
Old 04-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #82

I did all the You Are Your Own Gym (YAYOG) evaluations today, and couldn't help myself. It didn't seem like a full workout, so I went ahead and did Workout number one.

He gives you a progression of moves for each of five types of exercises, from easiest to hardest:
- Pulling
- Squatting
- Perpendicular Pushing
- In-line Pushing
- Bending

In the evaluation, you pick the hardest level you can do 12 reps with good form. Then when you can complete 2 sets with perfect form, you move up a level.

I determined my moves for each exercise, and I think I wasn't quite aggressive enough, because I'm going to move up a level next time on a couple of the moves. I'm still feeling my way here. Feels great, and I had that trembly, jello feeling in my arms and legs afterward.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:48 PM   #83
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Carol - sounds like you got a great workout! I love that it gets progressively harder.

Dawn, that sounds like a very active day!
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:00 PM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

Been a little MIA, so I hope I don't miss anyone in my epic reply. I'm fairly certain this is the most I've ever quoted in any reply in my history of LCF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planelman View Post
I would probably fall over or crash spectacularly if I tried to close my eyes. Plus I'm not confident enough in my form even still to not watch myself. My gym trips are usually during not popular times, I often have the place to myself. This was an atypical experience.

Quote:
How about Tinkerbell? Some green fabric store tulle all bunched up around your waist.

Minnie Mouse could be some kind of skirt (red polka dot I think) on top of black shorts or capris, ears and white gloves.

Which distances are you running? I can't imagine running a half in a costume. By mile 8 I am annoyed by a zipper pull bouncing, a strand of hair touching my neck, one capri leg pulled up higher than the other, the list goes on..... . It would have to be a very comfortable costume.
I've decided on Rapunzel. I've got quite the haul from the fabric store. I will be making my costume from technical fabric, a tank and skirt, so there won't really be anything to bother, I guess. I'm running the Dumbo Double Dare which is a 10k on Saturday and a 1/2 on Sunday. Its my agreed-upon prep week-end so that hubby will let me sign up for the Dopey Challenge at WDW in Jan '16 (5k, 10k, 1/2, full).

Quote:

I was training for a marathon when I had to have achilles surgery (unrelated to running oddly enough). I would like to do at least one. I have to re-lose some lbs and work back up to running longer than 5 mimutes without a walk break or they'll close the course on me.
They won't close the course on you! Lots of folks do run/walk intervals, and you can find a race without time limits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLynn View Post
I'm going to add the resistance bands too. Now I have to go find them.
I love my resistance bands. I like the SPRI brand, which I found on Amazon. I think they're great for fast results. I like fast results!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:11 AM   #85
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sheilaq14
Stats: 220/173/170
WOE: EOD, JUDDD
Start Date: Jan 27, 2014
Just finished my second day of lifting with the machines at the gym. The trainer had set me up with lower weights and two sets of 12 reps. After the first day, my arms and torso were sore but my legs felt fine. Today I added a fair amount of weight to the leg machines and only did two sets of 8 reps, kept the arms the same but found I could only do 2 sets of 10. I think this a good place to start, not having lifted for 12 years.

I am struggling with the scheduling, with the rotations being every other day but the weights only 3x week. For now, I will lift MWF but that means sometimes it's a down day and sometimes up. Not sure whether that will work for me. How are others scheduling their lifting?
Sheilaq14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #86

WTG Sheila! It's good to have more and more people joining us in this great experiment. Sounds like you're off to a great start.

I'm doing my bodyweight workout EOD, on UDs only. My reasoning is that I need decent amounts of calories and protein after challenging my muscles. And I am trying really hard to make sure I get to, or close to failure, so I know I've challenged them (jelly arms and legs!). On DDs I either have a full recovery day, or I do some hula hooping.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:32 PM   #87
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Hi Sheila - I do lifting on MWF too ... but always on an up day. Right now I'm doing 4:3 so I can keep my days the same. (I do Tu, Th, and either Sat or Sun DDs). If I were doing EOD, I would change my workout days to go with my up days. (you need the calories to build muscle)
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:00 AM   #88
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sheilaq14
Stats: 220/173/170
WOE: EOD, JUDDD
Start Date: Jan 27, 2014
Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to follow the feast days meaning I'll move my three workouts each week to correspond with my up days. It will be a pain scheduling as my son has preschool MWF but I guess I'll try the gym babysitting. I felt okay yesterday fasting and lifting but I wonder how sustainable that would be.
Sheilaq14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:59 PM   #89
Big Yapper!!!!

I still haven't started a work out routine. I'm not totally dissatisfied with my arms, but I see that they are noticeably not firm. I won't mention my thighs or abs. Soon, I mean really.