Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 05:41 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: windygap
Stats: Ex:166/136/130
WOE: Atkins now doing JUDDD and lowcarb
Start Date: April28,2013JUDDD start June 16' 2013
What to do?

Hi everybody in JUDDD LAND! My name is windygap and I started Judding June 16 of last year. I started out at 1612 and 322. This did fine until Christmas break. I took off for the holidays and when I came back the day after Christmas I started with the same numbers. By that point I had lost 22 lbs. So from Dec 27 until a month ago I tried faithfully to stay on Juddd to no luck. It was like I had hit a brick wall. I tried moveing numbers higher but just kept trying to gain. The last month I got of JUDDD and have been trying to maintaining 144 as best as I can. Right now I am counting around 1000 cal and doing low carb.

I want to come back to day but don't know where I should try. Dr. Johnson says 1543 up and 309 down. Should I try there or higher? What does the Maintainers think? Thanks for all the help. I don't want to go to low and stop my matab. again.

Thanks for any one who answers while I am at work today. I lost 22 lbs and 21 1/2 in so far before I hit the wall. I am 64 years old 5 foot 2 and 144 lbs.
windygap is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2014, 06:18 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I would try it out at your current numbers based on your current weight. While it's true we want those numbers as high as possible, after a significant amount of weight lost (and I think 22 pounds qualifies), you don't "need" as much, if that makes sense.

When I would lower my numbers too soon, I would stall, but if I didn't lower them at all with my weight loss, I would have stalled too. For me, that worked out to needing to lower my calories about every thirty pounds, give or take. I'm quite tall, and was morbidly obese at the outset, so 22 pounds off of your frame, I think would more than equal 30 pounds off of mine.

Best of luck!

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:03 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Are there any relevant additional bits of information such as pre-diabetes, familial hypercholesterolemia (FH), high blood pressure etc.?

Dawn's advice is something I'd second in the absence of relevant contra-indications.

After you've been through induction again (I'm assuming that you're noticing the absence of your SIRT1s ) and feel you're ready, after a period of rotations, you might want to go into maintenance mode for a week or 2 before returning to weight loss mode. This way, it looks like people might be able to retain some helpful metabolic flexibility: much depends, of course, on whether you're willing to rotate as some people prefer the simplicity of sticking with a WOE until they achieve a target weight.

Sept 2014 A recent DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:26 AM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Personally, I would not go higher. I am about your size and a little older (72). I'm also hypothyroid and have a compromised metabolism, so my maintenance caloric level is probably lower than yours. However, I maintain at only about 1,100 cal, and I have to go to about 700 to lose.

Your recent JUDDD numbers would average to just over 900 cal daily, and IMO that would be appropriate.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #5

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Remember, whatever you decide, that if you add back some carbs, you'll initially have some gain. Don't let that sidetrack you! Stick with whatever plan you decide on for a good 2 to 4 weeks to see what's really happening. Good luck!!!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:32 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thank you so much everyone. I just got home from work and have wondered all day which way you girls were saying. I wanted to start today and thought all day yesterday and even every time I woke up and as soon as I got up. I could not make up my mind. My head said it might be time to go lower but then the little guy that sits on my shoulder and laughs every time I don't eat the right thing kept saying go ahead and see what happens. I keep reading about upping numbers but every time I tried a little at a time I kept gaining. That is why I stepped out last month and just kept journaling and trying different things to get back to my lowest Juddd weight . I will try the new numbers for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

Thank you Dawn! I knew on Weight Watchers they moved me down every 10 lbs. And they had me on the lowest number the last time I was there for my size. So that is why I was leaning to the lower numbers. Thanks for the information. I really think you have done great and value you thoughts.

SlowSure I am 102 on the in the pre-diabetes chart. 100- 125 That is why I was doing JUDDD. I went back and the doctor said he had heard of JUDDD and that I was his first person to come in on it. He was not scared off of the 980 I was adv. everyday. He said to keep it up and do lowcarb not eat any thing I wanted and eat lots of veggies and the right fruit and add a little beans sometimes. Also I am on highblood preasure meds. The lowest dose and that did not get a no out of him either. He is all for this as long as I eat lowcarb. The maints. mode do you mean like 5-2 like Carly is doing? I will do this
I was so hopping you might respond. I set all last night reading all the things you were telling us. I read all the sites you quoted. Thanks so much for the help. You girls are the best.

Leo41 You are so right about age HEHEHE! It's great for discounts but a bear to maintain. I have been between 600 to 900 to try to stay here. It creeps up and I pull it back down about every other week . Glad to know This sounds right to you too. It helps when people my height respond so I know they have to go this low too. Thank you so much. By the way I read a lot of your post too and learned a lot from them.

Hey my friend, I took your advice and ask for help here. I will wait till Mon. to start and make Easter a up day so I won't be tempted so soon to cheat. That way I can have time to listen to every one and know I am heading on the right path. I will be sure to try and keep it lowcarb. I would start Sat. but I better not because the boss invited me to a birthday party and that way I will not be temped hard on my first day. So Monday it is. Now I just need to listen to the pro's and get my head back into JUDDD. I don't think my head ever did leave. I still try to eat every other day and my sister keeps asking every time we are together are you up or down today which way do we eat today. HEHEHE!!!

If any one else has a thought on this please feel free to add a post. I need all the help I can get. The doctor expect me to be all the way down by the time I see him and I still have a little ways to go before then. If I had not hit this wall I would be there by now.
Carly if you read this how low is you high number? Thanks all
Old 04-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
My UD number is about 1550. I keep DD around 200. I do 5:2, but 2-3 UDs are lower than 1550 and 1 is usually higher. I gain easily so I have to watch what I eat if I want to stay 122-120. 126-124 is fairly effortless.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:02 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by windygap View Post
SlowSure I am 102 on the in the pre-diabetes chart. 100- 125 That is why I was doing JUDDD. I went back and the doctor said he had heard of JUDDD and that I was his first person to come in on it....He said to keep it up and do lowcarb not eat any thing I wanted and eat lots of veggies and the right fruit and add a little beans sometimes. Also I am on highblood preasure meds. The lowest dose and that did not get a no out of him either. He is all for this as long as I eat lowcarb. The maints. mode do you mean like 5-2 like Carly is doing? I will do this
I'm pleased that your doctor's on-board with this.

Not the sort of maintenance that people who reach goal do - I meant, as shown on the JUDDD calculator. I explained that unclearly.

What I meant was that during WLM, you eat the kcal level that you calculated from the JUDDD calculator.: 1543 UD and 309 DD. After induction and some time in WLM, you would look at the calculator and use the level that says WLM/maintenance to recalculate your kcals (the 2 WLM/maintenance levels are 40% and 45% - the maintenance levels go up to 60%). You would then eat that new, higher number (tho' it's not hugely higher) for a week, and then return to the lower kcals of your previous WLM.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:43 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Carly I thought you ate this low. I knew you down days were 200 or less but could not remember how low the up was so I won't be afraid of this new low number if it did not stop you it should not me. You have done so great. I don't see how you keep your act together some days with your work and all. Thanks for takeing the time to answer in your busy day. I won't worry knowing you and Leo are this low. I just love all you pictures and even had my sister bring this site up on her lap top and showed her all you girls new pictures. She was so surprised and that is when she gave her ok to this diet. She said if you , dawn, Carol, kissa, and flutter changed that much then It really has to work. Its not a bad diet. So now she always ask is it on or off. Should I order up or down infront of you.

Thanks SlowSure that was so helpful. I will do this. Thankyou for takeing the time to explain this too me. I will write all this info. down so I have it handy in my weight book. That way I won't have to look it up latter if I need to know what I have done and I will being listening to all your findings. I have a hard time understanding some books and papers put out by Dr. but you explain things very well. Hope you get to go on the water this week end I always get the I wants when I hear you are on the water. Lov when you put up food too. I love to hear what you are making. Thanks again. When I come home today if my trip is rained out for the ball team which should unless they all have water wings I will sit and write everyones thoughts down. I can't wait to start.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:39 AM   #10

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Well, as usual the pros have given you all the most wonderful advice. Just adding my best wishes for your restart and wanted to say how great that your Dr is on board.

Onward and downward x
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Thank You kissa! I start tomorrow. I have my fingers and toes crossed. I sure hope this works because I love JUDDD and want to finally get to goal. Trying to please the Dr. and my self at the same time. Hope you had a great weekend.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:19 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Hey windygap!

Today is the first day of the rest of your weight loss! We are all pulling for you!

I read this thread a few times and thought of a few things:

First and foremost, take moment to be glad and grateful that you have a doctor who actually keeps up with and supports using nutrition as a key component of your weight loss/health improvement plan. AND you have a sister who cares so much she wants to make sure her eating supports - and does not tempt or undermine - your health. You have two enormous blessings my friend. Take a moment to appreciate and celebrate them.

Second, you are in the smaller range. I support all of the advice about eating on the low side of your caloric calculations while keeping your body energized with occasional maintenance level interruptions. A body that has energy resources available to it is more willing to release weight than is a body under continuous, non-stop caloric stress. The dance of the calories is complicated but the results are gratifying and healthy.

Third, since you are pre-diabetic you have some special health-improvement/weight-loss tools that will work for you. From personal experience (and a lot of anecdotal info from diabetic and pre-diabetic friends on another forum) weight loss when blood glucose is whacky can be difficult. High BG puts a special kind of stress on the body.

Even if you are eating low carb, many individual bodies have very bad (BG spikes high) reactions to specific, individual carbs. These can have a very negative impact on weight loss. For example, I have learned that even a tiny amount of HFCS in the ingredients will cause me to spike like I ate candy, then bloat and retain water for two or three days.

Do you have a BG testing meter and strips? At PD levels, most insurance does not pay for them. But, wally-world sells BG testing supplies. The set called 'Prime' is under $25 and very reliable (I use it). I encourage you to do an internet search on Blood Sugar 101 and do some reading there. The section called How to lower your BG explains how to test fasting BG and how to test 1 and 2 hours after each meal. You can use the BG tests to identify any carbs that cause you to have unacceptable BG spikes (tune your LC eating, remove foods that put unacceptable stress on your body) and to make sure you are staying in healthy BG range.

Welcome back! You are going to finish your weight loss journey!
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:59 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Hi Nancy It is 4:48 am and I have to hurry or I will be late for work. I will answer you very nice letter tonight when I get home after 8 Pm. Thanks so much for all the information.

Just wanted to say here we go. Today is mon. April 7 th and I start the new low numbers.1543 up and 309 down. I am drinking 3 protin edge drinks today at 100 cals. Each. I have to start the weight at 149 today. I hit that number after eating for the last 2 days regular food and popcorn. I knew it would do this but I have said farewell to my very favorite food so I can go on this road with no I wants right now so I can stay on track to get to goal.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:27 AM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

You can do it!!!!
Old 04-07-2014, 06:21 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Windygap - Good job choosing a high protein DD food (or drink!). How's it going? I second Nancy's recommendation about the Prime and the Bloodsugar 101. I found out rice is a big blood sugar spiker for me. I still have it sometimes, but more carefully and not often. P.S. my blood sugar came down from just into pre-diabetes category to normal on JUDDD ... hope yours does too.

Last edited by calichris; 04-07-2014 at 06:25 PM..
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Oh Carly you are so sweet. Thank you for reminding me. I did my first down day and did great. I balanced out at310 I over. Not bad counting for me. I am off with a good DD. Now to hit the up day tomorrow. I really felt good all day.

Nancy. Thank you for stopping in. Sorry I just got home at 9 pm but that is the way it goes on Mon.. Thank you for all the information. I too have certain foods that my body responds to . That is why I had a big jump this morning. I have found a piece in the newspaper where I might be able to take a class at a hospital around here for $20.00. I am going to see if I can go with out a note from the Dr. Usually you have to have that to get in. They will teach you how to eat and what to eat when you are out. Also about the meds.

I do have good support and I am very thankful at home and here.

I will check out Walmart for that item. I have the strips but even though if I have no carbs in a day I still will not change the color of the strips.

I am off to a good start today. Now I have to count good tomorrow and I will have two good days under my belt.

I have to go. 4am comes very early. NITE NITE to you and Carly
Old 04-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Hi Calichris thanks for posting. I was just starting to shut down and You popped in above my answer to Carly and Nancy. Thanks for the nice words. I remember the Dr. saying try to stay on the drinks for awhile to get a good count on the down days so that is what I am going to do. The last time I did regular food but did count close.

I do know some foods that do that and popcorn is one of them. You might know it is my very favorite thing to eat. That is part of why I had a big jump this weekend. I will check into those sites. I already have read several but the more I read the better I will understand it. Have a great day tomorrow.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:02 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

First set of numbers are in.

Mon. Cals 300 Carbs. 3 Weight 149

Tue. Cals 1538 Carbs 42 Weight 146.6

Wed. Cals 290 Carbs 13 Weight 147.9

One of the girls told me to try to stay under 20 on DD and around 50 on up days so that is what I am trying to do.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:15 PM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

Looks and sounds like you are doing great! I know the hospital in my city gives diabetes classes for free. I don't know if you even need an MD note.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:06 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Windygap, that is a great series of bounces! You are back on track my friend!
Old 04-10-2014, 05:51 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: giggles4me
Stats: 160/135/125
WOE: JUDDD / low carb
Start Date: 8/16/2014
Great Job!!!! You CAN do this.....
giggles4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:09 PM   #22

Old 04-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Looks fantastic.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:11 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Thanks girls! 2nd DD I only went down .4 oz but I know it will bounce all over when getting started.

Carly I signed up for 2 classes this month. It cost $20. but they give it back at the end of the 2nd night. That lady said the Dr. was starving me at 1500 cals. I was not about to say what I am really eating right now after she said that. I gained at his level I wonder how high they think I should be? I guess that will keep me guessing till I go. This is the first meeting I have heard of that you can get into with out Dr. note.

Well girls I am going to keep trying. Today was a good up day number wise.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:20 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

1500 calories a day, every day ... I would gain. While I celebrate eating above BMR on UDs...eating that way every day is just too for my poor bod.

The meetings should provide a lot of good info about what is happening with your blood glucose. But you will probably have to disguise yourself and try to pass as an every day eater.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

She says we are going a lot higher the 1500. Oh my. I am going disguised as a every day eating angel. That way they won't have a heartattack. I will listen to all info. and keep an open mind. I just don't know about that high number she is talking about.

After a up day yesterday I lost 2 ozs. ?

Todays DD total is 200 cals and 4 carbs.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:33 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

I DID IT! I DID IT! I DID IT!

Thank you so much for everyones advice. I just finally broke my stall since New Years Day. I am only under by a 1/2 a lb. but it is broke. I have not seen 143.5 in about 40 years. Even WW could not get me this low. Yea!

This weeks numbers so far
Weight Cals. Carbs

Mon. 149 300 3

Tue. 146.6 1538 42

Wed. 147.9 290 13

Thru. 146.2 1492 49

Fri. 146 200 4

Sat 143.5 1550 45

It is finally working. Thanks for every one who wrote. I love all my JUDDD BUDDS and thanks so much for the over seas JUDDD BUDDS too!. SlowSure and Kissa, and JOY JOY too in Canada!

Mon. 149 300 3
Old 04-12-2014, 05:06 AM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

Old 04-12-2014, 05:29 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy Dance for windygap!!!!
Old 04-12-2014, 07:27 AM   #30

Wonderful! WTG girl!