Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 04:37 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
April JUDDD Newbies

to all the new JUDDD buds!!!
Ask questions and get support here.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2014, 07:42 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Yay! April means we are closing in on warmer weather and putting the mittens away.

Took my starting weight and waist measurement this morning. Knowing I posted here yesterday definately got me started on the right foot today.
cici52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:42 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: delyn
Stats: 172/147/115
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 3/31/2014
Hello!!

I've been lurking this forum for the last few days as I recently started JUDDD and whenever I searched for support related sites for this WOE, this site continued to come up.

I'm excited for beginning my journey with JUDDD & I feel like it would definitely suit my lifestyle more than trying to restrict on a daily basis.

However, I think the hardest part for me is actually eating all the calories for my UD. I'm used to eating 1300-1400 calories, so increasing to the 2000-2200 range definitely is playing some mind games. How did you all adjust to eating the higher number of calories without freaking out? (Or is that just me...?)
delyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Way to go Cici!

Delyn, many of us came from eating that much daily, so it wasn't too hard to keep eating that many calories every other day! For those that have trouble making it to their UD calories, I always recommend healthy, calorie-dense foods: nuts, cheese, butter, nut butters, avocado, mayo, fattier cuts of meat, etc. Or, if you want to throw all caution to the wind, you could make up the calories in chocolate and wine. That's what I do.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:47 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/163.8/165
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Yay! April means we are closing in on warmer weather and putting the mittens away.

Took my starting weight and waist measurement this morning. Knowing I posted here yesterday definately got me started on the right foot today.
Hi!! I remember you and your kindness from my previous JUDDD journey!
I am so happy to see you!
P
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:50 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/163.8/165
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by delyn View Post
Hello!!

I've been lurking this forum for the last few days as I recently started JUDDD and whenever I searched for support related sites for this WOE, this site continued to come up.

I'm excited for beginning my journey with JUDDD & I feel like it would definitely suit my lifestyle more than trying to restrict on a daily basis.

However, I think the hardest part for me is actually eating all the calories for my UD. I'm used to eating 1300-1400 calories, so increasing to the 2000-2200 range definitely is playing some mind games. How did you all adjust to eating the higher number of calories without freaking out? (Or is that just me...?)
Part of my April plan is to eat a few more calories. I have really been restricting and I know where that may lead me!
JUDDD is not meant to be a sacrifice, IMO. It is meant to be a tool for reducing weight while LIVING life. (Self talk here LOL)
P
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:27 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: windochange
Stats: 226/215/170 (5'9") 37yr old
WOE: IF/ JUDDD
following book recommendations for dd?

I'm now on my third day as a JUDD (today is my 2nd up day).

I'm curious if the people who have done this for a while followed the recommendations in the book to cut to 20% on dd for only the first two weeks in order to activate SIRT1 and go up to 25-30% for the rest of their weight loss journey.

Or did the majority simply pick a percentage and stick with it -- adjusting the number of calories as they lost weight.

at 20% my calories are 2089/418
at 25% my calories are 2089/522
at 30% my calories are 2089/627

obviously I'd like to keep my dd calories as high as possible if i still means I'd lose.
windochange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:59 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Seems like others were all over the place but some of those who reached maintenance were pretty relogious about theit Dd calories. t has been a while but I think he suggested rounding off to 500 the first two weeks for ease getting into rotations. Also suggested sticking to meal replacement shakes to keep iy simple. I have protein ppwder but will also use broth based soups for warmth. Staying below 500 was a problem for me previously. Will see how this restart goes. You jave higher calculations. Good luck.

Last edited by cici52; 04-01-2014 at 11:05 AM..
Old 04-01-2014, 11:05 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
to all the lovely
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Hello!!

Dawn gave you some great advice already.

I just wanted to add that Dr. J does stress the importance of DDs for the first two weeks to get the SIRT1 gene activated and the sirtuin enzymes flowing.

Focus on keeping your DDs under control and I think your UDs will work out. I feel like JUDDD is really regulating my appetite. I'm not hungry in the mornings on UDs, so I don't make myself eat when I'm not hungry. Around 1 pm I sense real hunger, not head hunger and then I just follow my appetite, try to get in plenty of protein and I have no problem eating 2000 calories which is my UD number.

Good luck! You will do great!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Old 04-01-2014, 11:16 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by windochange View Post

I'm curious if the people who have done this for a while followed the recommendations in the book to cut to 20% on dd for only the first two weeks in order to activate SIRT1 and go up to 25-30% for the rest of their weight loss journey.

Or did the majority simply pick a percentage and stick with it -- adjusting the number of calories as they lost weight.

obviously I'd like to keep my dd calories as high as possible if i still means I'd lose.
Congratulations on your successful JUDDD start!

Everyone is different for sure. That's what's so Great about this WOE. Some JUDDDers have found it difficult to start out as low as 500 so they started at 800 calories and worked their way down. A few never had to go lower.

Personally, I started out at 20% because a lot of experienced JUDDDers recommended it. (little or no exercise) and I've stuck with that number and plan to. My DD number is 400 but I try to go lower when I can. I've had DDs as high as 700 and still count them as DDs. It's there if I need it.

For me, if I eat solid food early in the day, it makes me hungry all day. You have to experiment with this. So, I have coffee in the morning and wait as long as I can to eat. I've had a few DDs as low as 195 but I'm usually somewhere around 300 plus or minus a few.

I'm sure you will get a lot of fine input from others.

Good luck and welcome, welcome!!
Old 04-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Quote:

I've never read the book, so I had no idea he suggested the bolded. Around here it seems highly individualized, but I've always been more successful the lower I can get my DD number. In part because it helps me keep my UD numbers in check too.

deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:47 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

I actually had no problem eating to 418 yesterday (417 according to My f1tness pal app). I was a little hungry in spurts but it was manageable.
Had black coffee for breakfast and my first meal of baked potato with malt vinegar and half a grapefruit with Splenda at 2:30. yum.
Tuna from a pouch with two slices of 35 calorie white bread at 5:30-which tasted awful and dry btw. never again. lol.
I then had a 100 calorie breakstones cottage cheese with strawberries. at about 7pm.

The problem came when i was trying to go to sleep at about 11pm and got super hungry. I wanted to eat something to calm my growling tummy but I just fought through it because I'd already eaten all of my calories for the day. I would have loved to have a handful of almonds or something.

Any tips from experienced JUDDERers on combating nighttime hunger on down days?
Old 04-01-2014, 11:56 AM   #14

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Quote:
Hello!!

Delyn! I'm so glad you've found us and decided to join in. It's a great group here with lots of support to offer.

I have never had much trouble getting in all my calories. I really do like to eat and to feel satisfied. Try to remember when it feels hard to eat that much that you're still looking at a caloric deficit when you look at your 2 day average. That seems to ease the mind a bit.

Quote:

A few months ago I would have told you to use the 20% number, and that may be the smartest thing to do. Lately I feel like your wanting to keep cals as high as possible while still losing is best. I think I really caused my metabolism to slow down and I plateaued. You'll have to see what works best for you and stick with it! Good luck!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:06 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
to JUDDD. Some JUDDD BUDDs find that the hunger disappears over time. Others cope by saving 50kcals or so to allow them to have a pre-bed snack of (say) cucumber/celery with a light Laughing Cow wedge, a serving of broth with eggwhite drops, or an (unsweetened) almond milk cocoa drink with SF syrup.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:09 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
I usually have a small hot chocolate made with 10g of 90-100% dark chocolate and ¼ cup of whole milk.
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:14 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Yeah, I realized that going with maybe more calorie dense foods would help me get to my daily goal. Also, like some mentioned it helped to take an average of my DD & UD combined. Thanks for all the support! :0)
Old 04-01-2014, 05:00 PM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Hello!!

! In my opinion you found the best place on the internet period! I love my JUDDD buds!

Quote:

I always kept DD to 20% or below. I still do in maintenance, but only do 2 DDs per week.

Quote:
The problem came when i was trying to go to sleep at about 11pm and got super hungry. I wanted to eat something to calm my growling tummy but I just fought through it because I'd already eaten all of my calories for the day. I would have loved to have a handful of almonds or something.

I fast all day till 9:30pm and have a 150-200 calorie bedtime snack. I need a bit of food with my arthritis meds and can't sleep if stomach is growling.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:21 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I actually had no problem eating to 418 yesterday (417 according to My f1tness pal app). I was a little hungry in spurts but it was manageable.
Had black coffee for breakfast and my first meal of baked potato with malt vinegar and half a grapefruit with Splenda at 2:30. yum.
Tuna from a pouch with two slices of 35 calorie white bread at 5:30-which tasted awful and dry btw. never again. lol.
I then had a 100 calorie breakstones cottage cheese with strawberries. at about 7pm.

WC: I sooooo relate to what you are talking about. I absolutely cannot go to sleep if I'm hungry. In the beginning my first go round with JUDDD in 2011 I tried to fight through it. But, I was miserable. And, sleep deprived.

Now I save my protein shake until as close to bed time as I can get. It's so satisfying and when I go to bed my tummy is full.

I have read that eating some kind of protein, like yogurt or a protein shake, close to bed time helps with the production of the hormone Leptin and therefore helps with weight loss.

I just know it's working for me and I sleep great now.

My shake is 135 calories and 30 grams of protein.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:12 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

It's my second DD and it's a lot harder than my first one. I'm sleepy, lethargic, and a little cranky today. But, I'm planning on having a nice meal tonight with some salmon & veggies, so I have that to look forward to. But definitely looking forward to my UD tomorrow!

Is anyone else combining other forms of fasting with JUDDD? I'm trying to stick to 16/8 as well, but its harder than I thought...
Old 04-01-2014, 10:42 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
WC: I sooooo relate to what you are talking about. I absolutely cannot go to sleep if I'm hungry. In the beginning my first go round with JUDDD in 2011 I tried to fight through it. But, I was miserable. And, sleep deprived.

Now I save my protein shake until as close to bed time as I can get. It's so satisfying and when I go to bed my tummy is full.

I have read that eating some kind of protein, like yogurt or a protein shake, close to bed time helps with the production of the hormone Leptin and therefore helps with weight loss.

I just know it's working for me and I sleep great now.

My shake is 135 calories and 30 grams of protein.
Great suggestion. I like the idea of a light protein before bed. I'll try that tomorrow--my 2nd DD. Hopefully it'll help with sleep.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:20 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Is anyone else combining other forms of fasting with JUDDD? I'm trying to stick to 16/8 as well, but its harder than I thought...
It's tricky enough to get the rotations down so maybe you want to concentrate on that at the moment and then tweak with a fasting window after induction, when you might have the SIRT1s to assist you?

Dawn/KeirasMom is experimenting with a fasting window but she's been in maintenance for a while.

Carly doesn't officially have a fasting window but her typical eating schedule resembles one
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:44 AM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Exactly what SS said. I don't follow an eating window 100%, but I almost never eat before 1pm or 2pm on UDs and many times wait till dinner to start eating. On DDs I eat 1 small bedtime snack.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:02 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Having trouble posting here today. This is a test.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:50 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Another first DD
Old 04-02-2014, 08:10 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammyann
Stats: 162/140.5/maintain 135-139
Start Date: March 2012 re-start Dec. 2012
new and returning JUDDD BUDS
Sammyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:16 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Havefaith9
Stats: HW: 217 199.5/188.5/145
Start Date: April 2014
Hi all!

I've been doing this JUDDD since last Monday. I didn't want to pop in until I knew I had a good chance of keeping with it. It's going great! I don't know why I overlooked JUDDD before but wow! This is the one for me! And seeing so many of you losing so great and maintaining is encouraging too. ........and I can eat what I want every other day! I'm so happy. Lol. I did Atkins a couple of times and lost 30-40 pds then gained it all bk. I felt deprived with my sweets. But I can have them in moderation now. I also tried IF and am using it loosely with JUDDD too. I'm 192 right now. So I lost 7.5 pds since last Monday. I'm 52 and sedentary. I calculated my calories in the 3000 range on UDs. Can anyone that's my size give me some numbers on how much you lost on avg weekly after the two week induction? I know I won't lose 7 ea wk. id just like to see if anyone lost more than 2 pds per wk. hehe. I'm inpatient! Ty all for sharing your journey. It's been encouraging for me reading it all!

Last edited by Havefaith9; 04-02-2014 at 09:17 AM..
Havefaith9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:27 AM   #28

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Cici, so how did your first DD go?

Havefaith9! Isn't it wonderful to find a plan that just fits? I'm so glad you're loving it, and boy are you having great results. Without knowing your height, we can't verify your calories. 3000 sounds high (from the calculator standpoint) for your weight and age, but it's obviously working for you, so maybe you should keep doing just what you're doing and only lower just 100 or 200 when you hit a true stall. Which we usually mean no loss at all for at least 2, or more like 4 weeks, and no inches lost. Good luck to you, and I'd say keep eating as may calories as you can as long as you're losing well!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

It was a 5until dinner when I just kep on eating. Doing it over today. Just shakes and coffee.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:12 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Havefaith9
Stats: HW: 217 199.5/188.5/145
Start Date: April 2014
Ty Carol. It is so great to find this woe. I'm 5'4". I thought 3000 sounded high but idk if I plugged something into the calculator wrong or what?
Havefaith9 is offline   Reply With Quote