Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   April Daily Chat (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/826860-april-daily-chat.html)

SlowSure 04-01-2014 03:04 AM

April Daily Chat

JUDDD BUDDs and DODOs have lots to swap, make-up tips, cat or pig photographs, observations on life...and here is where it happens.

Carly 04-01-2014 04:39 AM

April already!!!! Let's hope the weather is congruent :)

tay65 04-01-2014 11:50 AM

Happy April Fools Day!!!

Today is such a gorgeous day. Finally above 70* here!

LoCarbGal 04-01-2014 12:05 PM

Happy April everyone! Let's get this chat going!

SlowSure 04-01-2014 01:16 PM

Has anyone heard from Terri (Ellio?)? I always fret a bit when people disappear :)

EmmaLiza 04-01-2014 01:20 PM

Morning mystery. We have a new critter in the house.

Unwanted critter, that is. :(

Pulled the couch away from the wall to clean and there was a narrow pile of clean laundry there: a couple of my husband's t shirts, underwear, socks, some cleaning cloths. They were obviously clean, and not dusty at all. We picked those up and under that was a huge stash of food of the kind the bird throws on the floor around his cage, nuts and seeds and some cayenne pepper pods. There was also some dry poo, which I didn't get a first hand view of that was described as about an inch long, not sure how thick.

In hindsight, I should have photographed, but the cleaning person was majorly enthused about tackling it. Nothing wet, no smell.

Okay, ideas on what it is and how it got in, please. When I go home tonight, I'll check the dryer vent. We have an attic, a crawlspace under the house, no basement. :dunno::dunno::dunno:

tay65 04-01-2014 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmmaLiza (Post 16859148)
Morning mystery. We have a new critter in the house.

Unwanted critter, that is. :(

Pulled the couch away from the wall to clean and there was a narrow pile of clean laundry there: a couple of my husband's t shirts, underwear, socks, some cleaning cloths. They were obviously clean, and not dusty at all. We picked those up and under that was a huge stash of food of the kind the bird throws on the floor around his cage, nuts and seeds and some cayenne pepper pods. There was also some dry poo, which I didn't get a first hand view of that was described as about an inch long, not sure how thick.

In hindsight, I should have photographed, but the cleaning person was majorly enthused about tackling it. Nothing wet, no smell.

Okay, ideas on what it is and how it got in, please. When I go home tonight, I'll check the dryer vent. We have an attic, a crawlspace under the house, no basement. :dunno::dunno::dunno:

Mouse???

KeirasMom 04-01-2014 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowSure (Post 16859142)
Has anyone heard from Terri (Ellio?)? I always fret a bit when people disappear :)

I was just thinking about her and about Fairy Wren, too. :dunno:

EmmaLiza 04-01-2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tay65 (Post 16859159)
Mouse???

Can a mouse carry a man's t-shirt around a room? Also, they tend to eat their way through stuff and this food was stashed.

EmmaLiza 04-01-2014 01:39 PM

:aprayer:Please don't let it be a rat.

SlowSure 04-01-2014 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16859163)
I was just thinking about her and about Fairy Wren, too. :dunno:

I haven't seen Fairy Wren in an age. Neither her nor Shari4 (much longer). Not seeing Adi much but I think she's busy with kidding season etc.

FrostyBeav 04-01-2014 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmmaLiza (Post 16859165)
Can a mouse carry a man's t-shirt around a room? Also, they tend to eat their way through stuff and this food was stashed.

I was thinking squirrel. Can they get into your house?

LoCarbGal 04-01-2014 02:24 PM

Yipes, EmmaLiza! I've had mice, and that doesn't sound like them. Their poopies are little black dots that look like dead bugs. Little ones. Can you ask an exterminator? YUCK!

I agree, Slow. I don't like it when people just disappear. Terri, I think, wasn't JUDDDing anymore so maybe she is posting on other boards? Evie (Fairywren) started posting before Christmas and I was her secret Santa, but she dropped off the boards before Christmas came. Adi's pretty busy and active on FB.

Yam-Yam 04-01-2014 02:32 PM

Hmmmmm....I have had snakes, frogs, crickets en masse, horny toads, a wild bird, a very small mouse that apparently didn't do much except find it's way to the middle of the living room where it laid down and died, and one raccoon.

Oh, and lizards. Lots of lizards.

None of those stashed anything away and none of their droppings looked like yours. I'm stumped. :dunno:

Yam-Yam 04-01-2014 02:33 PM

I didn't mean your droppings. :o I meant your guest creature's droppings. :rofl:

EmmaLiza 04-01-2014 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yam-Yam (Post 16859252)
I didn't mean your droppings. :o I meant your guest creature's droppings. :rofl:

:hyst::hyst::hyst:

List of creatures (that I have seen) in my neighborhood--racoons, opossums, squirrels, chipmunks, feral cats, moles, voles, mice. Inside the house, I have a gray parrot and a 65 lb labradoodle. Parrot is never at liberty, plus, he's not going to carry a shirt around. Doodle? I really don't think he could get back there behind the sofa. There are end tables on both sides and everything is pushed up against the wall.

FrostyBeav 04-01-2014 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmmaLiza (Post 16859148)

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...ent-aliens.jpg

EmmaLiza 04-01-2014 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrostyBeav (Post 16859174)
I was thinking squirrel. Can they get into your house?

Is that how squirrels nest? I'm thinking there must be some give-away in how the nest was arranged. I wish I could borrow your cats for a few nights. :annoyed:

FrostyBeav 04-01-2014 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmmaLiza (Post 16859259)
List of creatures (that I have seen) in my neighborhood--racoons, opossums, squirrels, chipmunks, feral cats, moles, voles, mice.

Still thinking squirrel or chipmunk. They like to hoard.

FrostyBeav 04-01-2014 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmmaLiza (Post 16859261)
Is that how squirrels nest? I'm thinking there must be some give-away in how the nest was arranged. I wish I could borrow your cats for a few nights. :annoyed:

My cats are too dumb to catch anything (don't know about Lily but she would barely be bigger than a squirrel).

FrostyBeav 04-01-2014 02:57 PM

If you ever want to know what is making noise in your attic, here you go.

FrostyBeav 04-01-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmmaLiza (Post 16859261)
Is that how squirrels nest? I'm thinking there must be some give-away in how the nest was arranged.

Maybe this helps?

http://www.squirrel-attic.com/pix/squirrelattic1.jpg

Yam-Yam 04-01-2014 03:04 PM

Frosty: Well, that grossed me out. The link too. Thanks for helping me out on my DD. Not hungry at all now. :rofl::rofl:

Yam-Yam 04-01-2014 03:05 PM

SlowSure: Just wanted to thank you for making it so easy to get here from the March chat. :hugs: And, for getting us started here.

Carol: So glad you didn't climb the ladder! And it's great to know about calling the Fire Department! Next time we hear chirping, I'm definitely going to pick up the phone!

Yam-Yam 04-01-2014 03:11 PM

Emma: Your home sounds lovely! The hard wired smoke detectors are nutty because you cannot disconnect them. We tried pulling one down but the wires only come out 4 inches. Crazy thing is that it still requires batteries. If you take out the battery, it starts chirping right away. And they are really, really loud. Much louder than the battery-only ones in our other house. I think it's new build regulations in that county that require the hard wired ones. Just another regulation to drive people nuts.

Like I said before, DH and I would probably die from falling and breaking our necks before ever dying from fire or smoke.

FrostyBeav 04-01-2014 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yam-Yam (Post 16859282)
Emma: Your home sounds lovely! The hard wired smoke detectors are nutty because you cannot disconnect them. We tried pulling one down but the wires only come out 4 inches. Crazy thing is that it still requires batteries. If you take out the battery, it starts chirping right away. And they are really, really loud. Much louder than the battery-only ones in our other house. I think it's new build regulations in that county that require the hard wired ones. Just another regulation to drive people nuts.

Like I said before, DH and I would probably die from falling and breaking our necks before ever dying from fire or smoke.

Plus, if one goes off, they all go off. They are also prone to false alarms, especially at 2 am. :annoyed::annoyed::annoyed::annoyed::annoyed:

Yam-Yam 04-01-2014 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrostyBeav (Post 16859284)
Plus, if one goes off, they all go off. They are also prone to false alarms, especially at 2 am. :annoyed::annoyed::annoyed::annoyed::annoyed:

That's nice to know -- NOT! We've never had one go off from smoke yet. Just the ear-shattering chirping when a battery quits.

We have one in every bedroom, 2 in the hallway, one in the living room/great room and one in the kitchen in that house. I would probably run right through the glass patio door in our bedroom if they all went off at 2 a.m.!! Death by glass shattering. :eek:

EmmaLiza 04-01-2014 03:21 PM

Frosty,
Well, thanks for the visuals, I guess. :sick::lol: The nest in our den was just soft, clean laundry. It was kinda cozy. However, mama whatever must make her nest outside. I am going on a hunt for holes.

Seabreezes 04-01-2014 03:25 PM

Thanks for starting this SS!

FrostyBeav 04-01-2014 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yam-Yam (Post 16859288)
That's nice to know -- NOT! We've never had one go off from smoke yet. Just the ear-shattering chirping when a battery quits.

We have one in every bedroom, 2 in the hallway, one in the living room/great room and one in the kitchen in that house. I would probably run right through the glass patio door in our bedroom if they all went off at 2 a.m.!! Death by glass shattering. :eek:

The first time they went off in the middle of the night, I think I levitated six feet off of the bed and then ran around in circles until I finally woke up.

My wife and kids slept through it. :eek:

The worse thing is that the only way to get them to shut off is to start removing them until you finally disconnect the one that started it. We have nine in our house. :annoyed: