Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #151
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Have a great visit Yam!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #152
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Just back from the broadcast performance of La Boheme from the New York Met. Sometimes, these broadcasts make me feel so decadent, and as if I'm living the life of a plutocrat who can watch performances from Moscow, New York, London, Rome and other venues.

Astonishing performance tho' Mimi was a stand-in for the billed soprano who was ill.
Quote:
Last-minute cast changes at an opera house are always full of drama, but one that enabled Saturday afternoon’s performance of Puccini’s “La Bohème” at the Metropolitan Opera is likely to go down in the annals of day-of-the-performance substitutions.

The rising soprano Kristine Opolais, who sang the title role of Puccini’s “Madama Butterfly” for the first time at the Met on Friday night, was awakened before 8 a.m. Saturday with a phone call from the Met: Could she sing the role of Mimi that afternoon in the matinee of “La Bohème,” to replace Anita Hartig, who was ailing?
It was such an assured and accomplished performance, it's astonishing to think that Opolais must have had <5hrs from being asked if she'd do this to actually walking onto the stage.

Opolais was visibly overcome at her reception when she took her curtain calls.

Staging and production were Zeffirelli’s legendary, cinematic production which recreates 19th century Paris onstage with 106 supernumeraries (crowd, circus people, children's chorus). The cinema audience also got to see what goes on behind the scenes when they break down a scene and use one of the 3 wagons to bring a complete set forward.

I'm so utterly delighted every time that I see one of these broadcasts. It's such a privilege.

Nov 2014 A DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #153
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
That sounds lovely, Slow. Where do you view the broadcasts?

I've had a relaxing day...flea market shopping, and lounging around watching Netflix this afternoon. I've got some cube steak with onions cooking, and going to make some rice and a veggie of some sort for dinner.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:41 AM   #154
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
That sounds lovely, Slow. Where do you view the broadcasts?
I'm so lucky - a local cinema is part of the international network that screens these broadcasts. The Met has a HD series and it's shown in cinemas throughout the US (as well as on a radio network) and in 68 countries around the world.

It's a fabulous series - it's not only opera but ballet and theatre. I think later this year they're also using cinemas to screen huge sports events and concerts that feature more contemporary/mainstream music. It's long past time that they started doing this as it's such a straightforward way to participate and (relatively) affordable.

I can't get over the wonder of being able to see a live performance from a world-famous company on a completely separate continent. All from a readily-accessible cinema which has better visuals and sound than most theatres and is so easy to get to and no endless worries about transport systems and last trains. Of course, nothing is like the atmosphere of live but, for me, at this stage in my life (a few mobility and other difficulties), the benefits far outweigh such considerations.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:11 AM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Planelman
Stats: 350.1/206.4/190(10%BF) 6' 44
WOE: Leangains/Carb Backloading
Start Date: 7/14/2011
Thankfully no one dressed up as any characters, which was good, but one girl would probably been very excited if that had been a requirement! Jeans and a button down it was for me, no cologne though, I haven't owned cologne for probably 16 years. Soap (unscented) and shampoo are enough for me.

The speed dating was fun, and not nearly as awkward as I thought it was going to be. Most people there had an interest in Sci-fi/Fantasy books/movies/tv so conversations were easy to start and continue, but at 4-5 minutes a "date" not nearly enough time to get a great feel for anyone. Some were friends of "fans" who were roped into going, and most of those conversations went well too and gave breaks between the fans. Two of the dates seemed way longer than 4-5 minutes because there was absolutely nothing there, and I couldn't wait for the bell to ring, one girl wouldn't make any eye contact and really didn't seem like she wanted to be there. The group was very large, so the "dating" took over 2 hours, with about 5 minutes per person and time to move, so everyone was very tired at the end of the evening, and being a noisy bar it was hard to hear and be heard so a lot of yelling was done and my voice was about gone by the end.

Overall a fun experience and I would probably be up for it again.

159.3 Pounds lost since 7/14/2011

Low Calorie: 7/14/2011 - 80lbs lost
Primal: 4/20/2012 - 55.3lbs lost
JUDDD: 4/10/2013 - 23.4lbs lost
Nutritional Ketosis 9/1/2013 - 15.4% BF
Planelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:27 AM   #156
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Just back from the broadcast performance of La Boheme from the New York Met. Sometimes, these broadcasts make me feel so decadent, and as if I'm living the life of a plutocrat who can watch performances from Moscow, New York, London, Rome and other venues.

Astonishing performance tho' Mimi was a stand-in for the billed soprano who was ill.It was such an assured and accomplished performance, it's astonishing to think that Opolais must have had <5hrs from being asked if she'd do this to actually walking onto the stage.

Opolais was visibly overcome at her reception when she took her curtain calls.

Staging and production were Zeffirelli’s legendary, cinematic production which recreates 19th century Paris onstage with 106 supernumeraries (crowd, circus people, children's chorus). The cinema audience also got to see what goes on behind the scenes when they break down a scene and use one of the 3 wagons to bring a complete set forward.

I'm so utterly delighted every time that I see one of these broadcasts. It's such a privilege.
This sounds sooo beautiful, Slow. Thanks for describing it. This one didn't come to our theatre.
And Mike, thanks for your speed dating recap. Brave. Fascinating.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:18 AM   #157

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
That sounds beautiful Slow. I'd love to get Keira more interested in the arts. We're in a big city, but still fairly rural and surrounded by farmland, so our opportunities, at least locally, are limited. We're within driving distance to make LA or San Francisco a (long) day-trip, and a very easy weekend if we were to feel so inclined, so I think I'll start looking for ways to expose her to more.

Mike, that sounds interesting. I would hate, hate, hate to have to start dating again, but if I ever did, that might be something I could tolerate. I tend to know fairly quickly if I'm going to feel comfortable with someone, and am far too polite to end a date early if it's not going well. 5 minutes sounds about right!

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:41 AM   #158

I think I may have mentioned before that Keira has a weird palate. We often joke about the time, at 4 years old, we were at a very good local ice-cream parlor and she ordered liverwurst and swiss on rye, rather than an ice-cream sundae. She loves all foods, sushi, Indian, Vietnamese, pretty much whatever we give her. Left to her own devices, she'd live on cereal and candy bars, though, so we watch that kind of eating.

I'm not sure why I'm surprised, but she got excited yesterday when she asked me if she could snack on raw kale before dinner and I told her yes. She loves it! I told her that, of all the snacks she could choose, I would never say no to kale. Then she asked about mushrooms. "Mommy, can I have a mushroom to go with my yummy kale?" Who IS this child??
Old 04-06-2014, 06:56 AM   #159

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Lol, Dawn, Kiera is clearly a one in a million.

Lisa I am so very sorry about you young nephew's tragic death. My thoughts are with you.

Enjoying a lazy day in the Alps. Very beautiful.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:22 AM   #160
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
That is odd, but great about Kiera's imaginative palate, Dawn. I'm sure she will reap the benefits of all that healthy eating.

Mike, your dating experience sounds pretty exciting. I'm with Dawn in that I wouldn't want to have to start dating again, but speed dating might be a good choice (in the event I'm single again). Did you exchange tel. numbers with anyone, or is that discouraged? How aggressive were the women?
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:40 AM   #161
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
I wouldn't be here if kale were my idea of a good snack. Good kid. Good mom and dad.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #162
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Mike- the speed dating sounds like fun. I, too, hope I never need to start dating, but that sounds manageable.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:17 AM   #163
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
Start Date: 2/16/2013
Sweet lord everyone I'm sorry to drop that bomb and then check out. Thank you all for the kind words. My family appreciates all of your thoughts and prayers.

So I actually found out about the shooting through Facebook. I was passed out from cold meds and woke up to that. At that point he hadn't even been taken off life support and it's absolutely astounding to me the fact that social media has changed the course of our lives. There's so much information coming out and of course my sister is blaming herself because she feels that if she would have moved her family from New Haven then this wouldn't have happened, but sadly he was a 16 year old boy on the wrong path and the turmoil was slowly killing my sister who has Lupus. I hate that it sounds insensitive, but there's been a lot of honesty in the past few days.

This was the sixth homicide in that town since the start of 2014 and the second in just two weeks. TJ (nephew) had actually went to the funeral of his 17 year old friend the day before. Now there's detectives coming in and out of the house and his killer could quite possibly be one of the mourners. How is that reality? Why is that reality?

"You can always take the easy way out & give up but real strength comes when you decide to keep pushing no matter what the circumstances are."
LiLi914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:24 AM   #164
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Lisa,
I'm so sorry for you, your sister and may your nephew's soul rest in peace. Too young, for sure. It's heartbreaking to think about these kiddos and the choices they make. I wish I had an answer.
You're all in my thoughts.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:24 AM   #165
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Lisa
Reality is often horrendous. You know Chelly has been there with the murder of her son almost 13 years ago. Of course he wasn't on "the wrong path", but 13 years later we still don't know who killed him and it may be someone who is in our presence frequently.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #166
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/131/120
WOE: Low-carb Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
Oh, Lisa, I am so sorry. Your family is in my prayers.
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:27 AM   #167
GME

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
That sounds beautiful Slow. I'd love to get Keira more interested in the arts. We're in a big city, but still fairly rural and surrounded by farmland, so our opportunities, at least locally, are limited. We're within driving distance to make LA or San Francisco a (long) day-trip, and a very easy weekend if we were to feel so inclined, so I think I'll start looking for ways to expose her to more.

D
Our local Regal cinema has broadcasts that sound like what Slow is talking about. I think yours does too.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:19 PM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmmaLiza
Stats: 240/155/125
WOE: LC: 70 lb; JUDDD: 15 lb
Start Date: LC: Apr 2012; JUDDD: Feb 2014
Quote:
I'm so lucky - a local cinema is part of the international network that screens these broadcasts. The Met has a HD series and it's shown in cinemas throughout the US (as well as on a radio network) and in 68 countries around the world.

It's a fabulous series - it's not only opera but ballet and theatre. I think later this year they're also using cinemas to screen huge sports events and concerts that feature more contemporary/mainstream music. It's long past time that they started doing this as it's such a straightforward way to participate and (relatively) affordable.

I can't get over the wonder of being able to see a live performance from a world-famous company on a completely separate continent. All from a readily-accessible cinema which has better visuals and sound than most theatres and is so easy to get to and no endless worries about transport systems and last trains. Of course, nothing is like the atmosphere of live but, for me, at this stage in my life (a few mobility and other difficulties), the benefits far outweigh such considerations.
Slow, I'm going to see the encore presentation of that very performance on Wed! I was already excited, now can wait! The only other one I've seen was Tosca. Amazing.
EmmaLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:47 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Our local Regal cinema has broadcasts that sound like what Slow is talking about. I think yours does too.
I'll have to check it out. Thanks!!
Old 04-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #170
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tay65
Stats: On 1/6 - 215.6; current - 208.3 / 1st goal - 199
WOE: Counting calories
Start Date: March 2014
Mike ~ glad you had fun speed dating. I always say IF my marriage fails I will not date. Nope! It's too stressful.

Watching Long Island Medium. I love her! She's really good. I'd definitely go see her if I could.

Watched Frozen tonight with my dd. my granddaughter fell asleep so she can watch it tomorrow. I rented it from Red Box. Do you all have RedBox rentals?
tay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:06 PM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200/140.4/140 (190/156.7/145)65yrs
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 2/1/14 @ 190)
Lisa, I am so very sorry for your loss! I will say a prayer for your family.
Shari4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:31 AM   #172
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaLiza View Post
Slow, I'm going to see the encore presentation of that very performance on Wed! I was already excited, now can wait! The only other one I've seen was Tosca. Amazing.
I thoroughly enjoyed Tosca.

La Boheme's crowd and cafe scenes were like the grown-up version of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang So much rich colour and vibrancy. And I was enchanted to see how they moved the set for that in place with all of the people already on the upper and lower levels: the engineering involved in doing that safely is just admirable.

I hope that you enjoy the performance as much as I did.

Last edited by SlowSure; 04-07-2014 at 02:32 AM..
Old 04-07-2014, 10:06 AM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmmaLiza
Stats: 240/155/125
WOE: LC: 70 lb; JUDDD: 15 lb
Start Date: LC: Apr 2012; JUDDD: Feb 2014
Quote:
I thoroughly enjoyed Tosca.

La Boheme's crowd and cafe scenes were like the grown-up version of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang So much rich colour and vibrancy. And I was enchanted to see how they moved the set for that in place with all of the people already on the upper and lower levels: the engineering involved in doing that safely is just admirable.

I hope that you enjoy the performance as much as I did.
For years, the Met came here on annual tour. Three back-to-back performances every May. It was a real occasion for the entire city. Every day, the paper would print a synopsis of that night's opera and give reviews of the previous night.

To prep kids for it, the local opera company went to different schools and put on a 30-40 minute condensed version of one of the operas. At first, whichever opera they did that year, my grandmother took me to that Met performance (first year--Carmen, second year--La boheme). When she saw how enthusiastic I was about going, she started letting me go as often as I wanted. When I went away to college, I would trek home for the Met performances and go back to school for finals.

I didn't realize a local theatre was showing these until this winter, and then I had to miss a couple--Falstaff (snif). Tosca was amazing. In 1979, I saw Pavarotti playing Cavaradossi.
EmmaLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #174
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
My sympathies, LiLi. What a sad, sad situation.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #175

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Slow, your live cinema showings sound great, and just up your alley. I'm afraid I've never been a huge theatre fan, and I'm not sure why. Maybe I haven't seen any really good performances

Mike, I'm glad speed dating went well. Two hours of 5 minute "dates" does sound EXHAUSTING! I went on a speed dating thing years ago, but it wasn't that big of a group. Once you meet a certain amount of people, you sort of go on overload. Or at least I do. Did you have any potential matches that you're interested in? Exciting!

Dawn, your Keira is a gem! Raw kale and mushrooms actually sounds pretty yummy. With the added benefit that Mom doesn't have to do any cooking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Enjoying a lazy day in the Alps. Very beautiful.
Sounds like absolute heaven! Enjoy Cindy!

Oh Lisa! What a horrible way to find out this awful news. I can't believe what the reality of this world has become either. I'm constantly amazed at how truly unstable so many people have become. I have an increasing number in my own circle and it's shocking. What is going wrong in our society? Your poor sister.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:59 AM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carrie jayne
Start Date: January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLi914 View Post
Hi everyone! I know I've been MIA but I've been battling a terrible flu. Finally getting over that hump, but now something completely horrific has occurred. My 16 year old nephew was shot and killed last night. There's so much surrounding that situation, but my family is strong and we make it through that. I will check in later. Back to work for a few hours at least then heading to CT tonight to be with my siblings.
I am so sorry to hear about your nephew. I'm holding you in my heart and prayers.
carrie jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #177
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carrie jayne
Start Date: January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tay65 View Post
There was a house invasion a few houses down from me and the creeps shot a 10 yr old girl in the head!!!! So our town is in shock and disbelief. It's so sad.
Oh, my, I'm sorry to hear this; how very sad. I hope you and your family are doing all right.
carrie jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #178
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tay65
Stats: On 1/6 - 215.6; current - 208.3 / 1st goal - 199
WOE: Counting calories
Start Date: March 2014
They caught the little creeps. There were 4 of them and the family knew them! They even had the nerve to go to the house after it happened. They were going about their lives as if nothing happened! One of them was related to the little girl. It was suppose to be a burglary. They had all been arrested before too. They were 28, 20 and two 18 yr olds. Just glad they're off the street now.
tay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:56 PM   #179
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
Ooh! My local cinema is showing an encore of La Boheme on Wednesday. I just might go! Dawn, check out fathomevents for a theater near you.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:37 PM   #180
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Planelman
Stats: 350.1/206.4/190(10%BF) 6' 44
WOE: Leangains/Carb Backloading
Start Date: 7/14/2011
No one was overly aggressive that I talked to and I imagine you could exchange numbers but it is discouraged. They have an online mutual match system that goes live for 10 days after the event. If you are interested in someone you indicate it on the website and if the person you were interested in is also interested then you get notified. But you never see who is interested in you unless you also indicate interest in that person. That way it is safer and if you don't show any interest in someone you also don't need to know they are interested in you. I'm sure some people just click everyone, hoping.
Planelman is offline   Reply With Quote