Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 10:28 PM   #61
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
SoHappy (Pat) was a fountain of information and perspective. I really miss her. She pops in every once in awhile, but not too often. Darnit.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2014, 11:57 PM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/107/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I agree, Slow. I don't like it when people just disappear. Terri, I think, wasn't JUDDDing anymore so maybe she is posting on other boards? Evie (Fairywren) started posting before Christmas and I was her secret Santa, but she dropped off the boards before Christmas came. Adi's pretty busy and active on FB.
I hope Terri and Evie are doing OK - both because of the complication with Terri's eyes and Evie's preparations for her DD's wedding. Good to know Adi's active with her 'girls' on FB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
SlowSure: Just wanted to thank you for making it so easy to get here from the March chat. And, for getting us started here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
Thanks for starting this SS!
You're very welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Mafia Mom disappeared as well. She was such a lively presence.
Yes, I was thinking about some of her pictures etc. and 4devochki who had the breast biopsy and then went missing (iirc). Sometimes, life just happens but it's not always good to go missing if some timely postings can help. Hope they're both OK and that it's just the pace of life and nothing more.

Quote:
One that I got just for me to watch tomorrow is "Frozen". My grand kids and kids have all seen it in theaters and I actually bought the DVD for my 14 year old grand daughter who loves it.
I've yet to see it but lots of people have very positive things to say about it (including Yennie, I don't know if that's particularly obvious tho' ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
SoHappy (Pat) was a fountain of information and perspective. I really miss her. She pops in every once in awhile, but not too often. Darnit.
I haven't seen SoHappy in 2 years, I think. I remember her Universal Laws of Dieting so fondly. "All gains are water, all losses are fat." She had such level-headed advice, such as averaging your daily weigh-ins over a week and comparing that to the previous week's average to track downward drifts that were masked by bounces. She had helpful insight into maintenance, too:
Quote:
I think a real mistake is ever thinking that *Once I hit my goal and am in maintenance, I will be free to relax and not worry about how I eat or how much I eat.. I'll be able to eat more and not have to count anything. Etc.* We all the time read posts where folks say, "I don't eat that now, but I will when I get to maintenance" or "I'm saving that for maintenance" "I'll add that back in at maintenance"... I'm thinking their maintenance is going to be a very shocking experience for them! Because it's really not all that different than what you have been doing during your weight loss period. It's just more of the same. At a little higher calorie level.

Sept 2014 A recent DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.

Last edited by SlowSure; 04-02-2014 at 12:05 AM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:45 AM   #63
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I saw "Frozen" a couple of weeks ago, and wasn't all that impressed. It was okay, but definitely not the best animated picture I've ever seen. Everyone was raving about it, so I insisted on renting it--bf was skeptical, but I was a bit disappointed after all. Ok, feel free to hate on me now.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:45 AM   #64
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
You didn't like Frozen???? :GASP:

It's okay LG, I haven't even seen it, and probably won't until it comes on TV at some point. No kids, and none around to "borrow". I think it would be a lot more fun to see it with kids.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:14 AM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: 8/18/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyBeav View Post
I LOVE that guy!!

Yam, what does "iirc" stand for? I've seen it explained before but can't remember. So maybe if I do the asking, I'll remember. (Hope springs eternal.)
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:25 AM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
I saw frozen with my niece yesterday and just thought it was pretty good. I thinl my expectations were too high.

Am off to the library now to use the computer and get mind off food. Mixed my choc/pb protein powder with diet cherry cola this morning and loved the resulting soda. Be forewarned, as it foams way up. Gave me the idea of reserving special things for DDs so they necome something to look forward to.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:38 AM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FrostyBeav
Stats: 211/200.2/165
WOE: EOD JUDDD
Start Date: 11/12/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
Yam, what does "iirc" stand for? I've seen it explained before but can't remember. So maybe if I do the asking, I'll remember. (Hope springs eternal.)
If I recall (or remember) correctly
FrostyBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:42 AM   #68
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
I LOVE that guy!!

'Nilla, I Googled it and got: if I Read Correctly
*** IIRC If I Recall/Remember Correctly
*** IIRC If I Really Cared
*** IIRC If I Recollect Correctly
** IIRC If It Really Counts
** IIRC In Internet Relay Chat
** IIRC Isn't It Really Cool

I like if I remember correctly
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:45 AM   #69
Blabbermouth!!!

when I do watch Frozen today I'll be thinking of my grand daughter. She's been going through some tough challenges lately and when I had read a synopsis somewhere it sounded like just the encouragement, boost, hope and escape from reality she needs right now. That's why I bought her a copy of her own.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:20 AM   #70
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tay65
Stats: On 1/6 - 215.6; current - 208.3 / 1st goal - 199
WOE: Counting calories
Start Date: March 2014
I'm going to have to rent Frozen. I don't know if my 2 1/2 yo granddaughter will sit and watch it though. It really has to keep her attention.

My dd is going pretty well. I bought a Vanilla lean protein (meal replacement) shake mix at GNC yesterday. It's pretty good. I was wondering how I could change the flavor of it sometimes without adding calories.
tay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:40 AM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: 8/18/14
Frosty and Yam, thank you.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:23 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/131/120
WOE: Low-carb Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
My rotations are starting to get wonky because of the plasma donations. So more often than not I am having an UD, a MD, and a DD; I have been weighing in every three days. So, no weigh in today. Maybe tomorrow or the next day. I have been cheating a bit with some homemade chana masala that I made (delish!~) and so I am out of ketosis again. Going to make the masala again later this week, but with zucchini and mushrooms instead of chickpeas. Less carbs!
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmmaLiza
Stats: 240/155/125
WOE: LC: 70 lb; JUDDD: 15 lb
Start Date: LC: Apr 2012; JUDDD: Feb 2014
I know everyone's day wouldn't be the same without a wild kingdom update.

My husband woke me up this morning saying, "The leprechaun returned last night and it left evidence." So, I sprang up to investigate--actually, I stayed in bed about 10 more minutes and then I sprang up.

From the way I left the room set up last night, I now know two things about this little nest builder: she can climb into the tray on the bottom of the standing bird cage (that's where the food's coming from), and she's bringing the laundry from the laundry room under the closed door (which limits her size).

Moreover, there was a tiny piece of ...ahem... forensic evidence IYKWIM that would also indicate a very small digestive tract. Thanks to Frosty's somewhat TMI share yesterday, I don't think it looks like squirrel. Though I'm not ruling it out, I think we're down to mouse or chipmunk. Or leprechaun.
EmmaLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
You're just so cute about this. I would be oit of my mind.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #75
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tay65 View Post
I'm going to have to rent Frozen. I don't know if my 2 1/2 yo granddaughter will sit and watch it though. It really has to keep her attention.

My dd is going pretty well. I bought a Vanilla lean protein (meal replacement) shake mix at GNC yesterday. It's pretty good. I was wondering how I could change the flavor of it sometimes without adding calories.
Torani's or DaVinci's sugar free syrups or Mio drops. I use them a lot in shakes.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:54 AM   #76
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
I had two new lows in a row this week! 8st 0.3 this morning. It seems weird that this way of eating seems to suit me perfectly now, but when I tried it a few years ago (before there was a section for it at LCF) I hated it. Felt weak and lightheaded, and as if I was tumbling head-first into an eating disorder, which was what scared me into stopping. I think what has made the difference is not counting anything. It allows me to do it without cultivating my obsessive side.
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:00 AM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
I had two new lows in a row this week! 8st 0.3 this morning. It seems weird that this way of eating seems to suit me perfectly now, but when I tried it a few years ago (before there was a section for it at LCF) I hated it.
Congratulations and - yes, I wonder if it just wasn't right for you and your hormone profile at that time but now, for whatever reasons, it's just right for you and your hormones as well as your useful information about yourself, such as you knew that you weren't going to count and couldn't if this were to be successful/livable for you.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:11 AM   #78
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Congratulations and - yes, I wonder if it just wasn't right for you and your hormone profile at that time but now, for whatever reasons, it's just right for you and your hormones as well as your useful information about yourself, such as you knew that you weren't going to count and couldn't if this were to be successful/livable for you.
I think the hormonal stuff played a part. Itís not over yet, but itís much better now. I think the menopause can be a big strain on the adrenals, particularly if theyíre not in great shape to start with, and if your adrenals are struggling, fasting can add to the strain. Also, over the years of LC, including some time of journalling everything, I do have a reasonable sense of suitable portions for me, so although Iím not counting, Iím not eating everything in sight either.

I still feel as if Iím learning how much and what to eat. It feels a bit silly to be 50+ and not know how to eat. I think itís one of the effects of our fast-changing society that we donít just have the culinary traditions (and restrictions) that our grandparents had.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:45 AM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just to be clear, I understand why counting calories is useful and necessary sometimes, but I think it’s good to see the range of approaches that work for different people at different times.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:28 AM   #80
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Carol, I saw this this morning and thought of your smoke detector issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg life alert.jpg (44.5 KB, 2 views)
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:39 AM   #81
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dawn~ that's so funny!!
Old 04-03-2014, 08:36 AM   #82
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I think the hormonal stuff played a part. Itís not over yet, but itís much better now. I think the menopause can be a big strain on the adrenals, particularly if theyíre not in great shape to start with, and if your adrenals are struggling, fasting can add to the strain...

I still feel as if Iím learning how much and what to eat. It feels a bit silly to be 50+ and not know how to eat. I think itís one of the effects of our fast-changing society that we donít just have the culinary traditions (and restrictions) that our grandparents had.
As you know, I agree about menopause being a train wreck when it comes to the hormone profile of some women.

As for our grandparents - yes, for too many of them, food insecurity was the issue along with the horrors of food adulteration. They'd be bewildered and delighted by the prevalence of food security in our societies and the relative quality of food. (That's still not the case for so much of the world, and, increasingly, for some demographics within our societies which is a sad step backwards from where we going).

Quote:
Just to be clear, I understand why counting calories is useful and necessary sometimes, but I think itís good to see the range of approaches that work for different people at different times.
Absolutely agreed with this. There are different strategies that will work for people at different stages in their own life-cycle. Look how many of us here have to tweak a WOE within the JUDDD or similar IF schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Carol, I saw this this morning and thought of your smoke detector issue.
We don't have First Responder Medics within the Fire Service in the UK so, sadly, that definitely wouldn't work for glad-eyed elderly ladies here. We send out various levels of staff on bicycles, on motorbikes, in cars, ambulances etc. depending on the location, report and ETA.

Does anyone know how long JDforShort is away in Australia, visiting her daughter?
Old 04-03-2014, 09:00 AM   #83
Blabbermouth!!!

Dawn: that is soooo cute!

Me I really enjoyed my little "Frozen" screening party for one yesterday! I did just what I planned. Made a plate of cheese and crackers and there were two glasses of champagne leftover from the other day when DH "helped" me drink some in the evening after I had a glass with my eggs benedict earlier.

I thought the movie was adorable. Loved the song "Let It GO" They had music videos as a bonus of different artists singing it in different languages. I woke up this morning humming "Do You Wanna Build A Snowman" especially since it snowed about 50 miles up the road from us on Tuesday and DD took her 5 year old to the snow that afternoon and was texting pictures of them building a snowman.

I'm giving Frozen as a Gramma Yam-Yam critic.

Quote:
I had two new lows in a row this week! 8st 0.3 this morning. It seems weird that this way of eating seems to suit me perfectly now, but when I tried it a few years ago (before there was a section for it at LCF) I hated it. Felt weak and lightheaded, and as if I was tumbling head-first into an eating disorder, which was what scared me into stopping. I think what has made the difference is not counting anything. It allows me to do it without cultivating my obsessive side.
Congratulations on your new lows!! That's outstanding. This time around is way better and more relaxed and working consistently for me as well. After reading Krista Varady's book, I didn't feel as compelled to count all the time on UDs. In fact, after a couple of weeks I stopped counting all together on UDs and it just feels right for me. Like you said, not so obsessive.

Lately I've been pretty much eating the same thing on DDs so I do know my DD numbers and I enter it into my calorie counter app. On UDs I just write "no count UD appx 2000" and move on.

Quote:
I think the hormonal stuff played a part. Itís not over yet, but itís much better now. I think the menopause can be a big strain on the adrenals, particularly if theyíre not in great shape to start with, and if your adrenals are struggling, fasting can add to the strain. Also, over the years of LC, including some time of journalling everything, I do have a reasonable sense of suitable portions for me, so although Iím not counting, Iím not eating everything in sight either.

Great observations! What you are saying is really hitting home. During menopause for me nothing worked to get weight off. Nothing. It just kept climbing. I was a hormonal mess.

My grandparents and also my parents had those restrictions. My parents were 45 years older than me. So, they both lived through the depression. My mother became somewhat of a hoarder (not as bad as what you see on tv) but she saved empty bread bags, empty jars, plastic containers, cans to excess. It was terribly hard for her to throw anything away. She never wasted one morsel of food.

While she had been extremely thin all her life, during menopause she ballooned up and tried everything including starvation to get it off. She was so embarrassed. Nothing worked until menopause was over. Then she got very thin again and was a teeny-tiny thing when she died at 78.

Menopause is evil.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Old 04-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
My mother became somewhat of a hoarder (not as bad as what you see on tv) but she saved empty bread bags, empty jars, plastic containers, cans to excess. It was terribly hard for her to throw anything away. She never wasted one morsel of food.
Oh god - that's my mother-in-law. They built an extra room on to their house for a large family room. They can no longer use it for that (for the last 20 years or so) because it's packed to the ceiling with stuff she is saving. She has boxes of records, things like every electric bill statement since they were married - 50 years - as well as all financial records. She also has piles of things like plastic containers, those clamshell containers that bakery cookies come in, plastic and paper bags, etc. She's pretty close to tipping over into the Hoarders category. Their bedroom and every closet in the house is also filled to the top.

She didn't go through the depression but her parents did and were just as bad. MIL can't waste food and will even eat leftovers while cleaning up dishes when there isn't enough to save. When they come to visit, we end up having to clean out the fridge when they leave because she has saved all sorts of weird stuff, like the juice from a can of pineapple or the drippings from cooking meat (we aren't gravy people).

This isn't to bash. I love my in-laws and get along better with them than I do my own parents. However, there is frugal and then there is borderline mentally ill. My wife will occasionally show some of that "saving stuff in piles around the house" tendencies and I have to give her crap about it. Fortunately, overall, she is more like her dad than her mom.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #85
Blabbermouth!!!

Frosty: You conjured up all kinds of memories and pictures in my mind!

I was born and raised in a house that was built in the late 1700s. It had all kinds of strange little hallways and passageways. The enclosed back porch was the first hoarding place to be filled. Floor to ceiling with empty containers and old clothes that were being saved for cleaning rags. You couldn't get to anything.

Of course the big attic was full and a favorite nesting place for rats, rats and more rats. I refused to go up there.

There was a back hallway upstairs and that was the next place to fill up and become inaccessible. After my older brothers and sisters married and left home, one of the four bedrooms was the next. It became full, floor to ceiling with yarn, fabric, all kinds of bargains that someday my mother planned to turn into rag dolls and blankets and shawls and afghan blankets.

After I moved out the bedroom my sisters and I shared became full, floor to ceiling, with bargain finds that were for future wedding gifts and Christmas gifts for kids and grand kids (my parents had 64 grand kids by the time they passed. Hundreds of great-grands). That room was a marvel. Hundreds of toasters and irons and electric hand mixers, electric skillets...anything K-mart would sell in the blue light specials for $5.00 or less.)

Oh my, and saving leftovers. Yes. A little "dab" of this or that.....phone call gotta go!
Old 04-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

I don't mind being frugal. In fact, I let my wife handle the finances because I am terrible at it. In my family, having money just means you haven't gone to the store or got your VISA bill yet.

However, I am not gong to scrape out every last drop of catsup or wash and reuse sandwich bags. Also, I can afford Pyrex and Rubbermaid. I am not going to save cottage cheese containers to save leftovers in.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:21 AM   #87
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I do save cottage cheese containers sometimes lol, and other types of containers. A lot of them end up getting used as cat food bowls. I throw out their "bowls" when they get nasty, because I'm not washing that nasty stuff with my dishes.

I save leftovers most of the time, and 90% of the time they don't get eaten and get thrown out anyway about a week later.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #88
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I call my dh a hoarder but really all he does is save leftovers that never et eaten and MAIL!!! If I ever have to hurry and find a piece of paper to write something on real quick I know to go to the desk! Lol. I yell all the time about those two things. When I say I'm going thru the papers and tossing it all out, he will finally throw some of it out.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:07 PM   #89
Blabbermouth!!!

Tammy: My DH is a mail saver too! I don't get why he saves all junk mail. And when he opens bills or correspondence, he saves the ripped open envelopes. Gosh! Can't you at least throw the old envelopes away?
Old 04-03-2014, 12:08 PM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I do save cottage cheese containers sometimes lol, and other types of containers. A lot of them end up getting used as cat food bowls. I throw out their "bowls" when they get nasty, because I'm not washing that nasty stuff with my dishes.

I save leftovers most of the time, and 90% of the time they don't get eaten and get thrown out anyway about a week later.
I wasn't really aiming the container at anyone. I was thinking more about the hoarding mentality when you save stacks of those things, more than you can ever use, because you "might" use them someday.

We do leftovers too and actually tend to eat them, especially now that my oldest is out of the house (he wouldn't eat leftovers to save his life) and can eat them for dinner instead of making "fresh" food every day.