Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 06:38 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Realities of maintenance

Please do not read this thread if it's likely to disturb you or it's the wrong time for you to think about the reality that, for many maintainers, maintenance takes as much careful management as the weight loss did.

I've written about Dr Barbara Berkeley's experience-based recommendations: Dr Barbara Berkley's Refuse to Regain

One of the weight maintenance blogs that Berkeley recommends as a clear-eyed look at the realities of long-term maintenance is:
Debra's Just Maintaining

Debra has a number of thought-provoking posts. In several, she describes weight-maintenance as an unpaid job, working for a toxic boss. One sample:
Quote:
Unfairness 1. Maintenance isn’t a “lifestyle”; it’s a third- to half-time, unpaid job. It need not be joyless, but sometimes it’s a bore.

Unfairness 2. Your boss is a tyrant. Your food management must be scrupulous, your exercise intense, and you get no vacations. If a maintainer “takes off” for even a week, he or she may gain back several pounds that won’t “come right off if you return to your routine” as the know-it-alls love to say. The National Weight Control Registry confirms that only 13% of successful maintainers who partially regain will lose that weight again.
Quote:
Earlier this week, I opined that the first unfairness of weight-loss maintenance is that it is not a zippy lifestyle, but a third- to half-time unpaid job. Like any job, it need not be joyless, but one may need to force joy into it. Here’s a typical day at “work.”..

...there’s no denying that [maintenance] occupies considerable mental real estate and the exercise is hard on the joints. My current regimen is gentler than when I was running on concrete sidewalks, but still causes some unhealthy pain. I also don’t know whether I could do maintenance if my “real” work were inflexible.

When someone tells me they plan to lose weight (and I wince if they say I’m their role model), I advise them instead to live joyfully, eat healthfully, exercise, and treasure whatever body happens. While I devote 14 to 20 hours per week to my food and exercise practices, it seems more sane and sustainable to devote 8 to ten hours, a quarter time job, to crafting a less toxic diet and exercising in some pleasant way. This likely won’t, however, create or maintain radical weight loss.
I don't agree with her on everything (hardly surprising) but I do find her to be unvarnished about the effort involved in maintaining if your new WOE and exercise pattern are a radical departure from your previous lifestyle.

I should also say that I think JUDDD and due attention to increasing or maintaining learn body mass may by-pass some of the typical problems of maintenance. However, right now, in the absence of appropriate clinical trials or even more maintainers than we have, I don't think anyone can give an evidence-based opinion.

Sept 2014 A recent DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.

Last edited by SlowSure; 03-26-2014 at 06:41 AM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2014, 06:48 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've started this thread for a number of reasons. Dawn recently made a relevant comment: Weight Loss Resistance
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I'm finding myself more and more resentful of having to think about food all the time, what and when I can eat...I keep coming back to EOD or 5:2, because I know it works, but I'm really just wanting to eat.
Some of my other thoughts have been triggered by how hard it seems for some people to get themselves back on track after the relative indulgences of the Holiday season.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:53 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
I don’t think that maintenance has to involve that level of exercise for everyone, but I certainly agree that it generally takes much effort as losing weight, and without the rewards of changing size or seeing new numbers on the scale. It may be that the number of calories/carbs/fasting days can be adjusted a little from the weight loss regimen, but not always, and often not by as much as you’d hope. And it has to keep going through stress, illness, bereavement, holidays or whatever — because those are likely to turn up at some point in your life.

I haven’t got much experience of maintenance using IF variants yet, but six years or so after losing weight with LC. It was menopause that derailed me. Effectively, I didn’t have the energy to keep on doing what was needed.
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:22 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
I don’t think that maintenance has to involve that level of exercise for everyone, but I certainly agree that it generally takes much effort as losing weight, and without the rewards of changing size or seeing new numbers on the scale. ..
It was menopause that derailed me. Effectively, I didn’t have the energy to keep on doing what was needed.
I wonder about the exercise level and whether it varies depending on how much people lost, whether they're what Berkeley categorises as POWS (previous long-term or lifelong obesity/overweight) and therefore have different metabolisms, and how active they've been previously in their lives. However, unless they are some relevant clinical trials, most of us will have opinions but we won't know.

I was intrigued by her need to count the time for preparing food from scratch. I think this must vary enormously as I have always cooked this way so hadn't fully grasped that this must be an additional overhead for people who don't but now find themselves compelled to do this because of their new WOE.

I wonder if some people would benefit greatly from following some of Dawn's 'eating out' recommendations.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:26 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I’ve always cooked too (which is how I know that cooking real food isn’t enough to stop you getting fat ) — and yes, I’m sure that the amount of weight lost/degree of metabolic resistance is a major factor! My husband’s weight problems are bigger than mine, and I think his maintenance will involve more restriction than mine does, though not necessarily more attention.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:39 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Thank you SS for this post. I'm really struggling with this right now. I know I will always need to be vigilant, but honestly, it makes me grumpy sometimes. I keep playing around with different plans in maintenance to find what's going to be the most enjoyable, or maybe the least intrusive.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:43 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I really would like it to be a background activity. At least I’m not counting what I eat and worrying about that, but I’m sick of thinking about my weight so much.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:56 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
... the reality that, for many maintainers, maintenance takes as much careful management as the weight loss did...
I had always assumed that this would be true. I say assumed, because I had never gotten to the point in my weight loss where I could begin maintenance. Diets were too hard, and I failed, and failed again.

Until JUDDD.

And now, here I am, at a normal weight, and it wasn't that hard. I am doing my first 'practice maintenance' while I let my body settle at this weight before I decide what my final/next goal will be.

So I am just starting at this maintenance thing. It may be a bear, a 1/3time job. But I have the hope that maintenance with JUDDD will be like weight loss with JUDDD: easy.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:04 AM   #9
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I didn't find weight loss 'easy,' and I've found maintenance (going on 4 years) to be even more challenging. Personally, I think the key to maintenance is to have learned (during weight loss) how one's body functions best and what one's needs are in terms of nutrients and calorie level.

Basically, I'm carb sensitive, and I came to JUDDD because I also need to seriously restrict calories.

I've read that the way you're eating when you get to goal weight is pretty much how you have to continue eating--and that's been absolutely true for me.

My maintenance level of calories is only about 1,000 (with <20g carbs), so although I'm no longer 'doing' JUDDD, I often cycle calories because of the difficulty of eating at that level every day.

Maintenance is definitely worth the effort--but it IS an effort, at least for me.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:08 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I'm really struggling with this right now. I know I will always need to be vigilant, but honestly, it makes me grumpy sometimes.
Do you experience hunger or is it more that you want to eat without slotting it into some schedule of time or even calories /carb cycling?

I know that I can't return to the food intake that I had before my last accident. there was nothing amiss with what I was eating, afaik, but, not only am I 4yrs older, and menopausal, I seem to have lost a vast amount of my muscle mass (for whatever reason). Whatever I achieve by reverse dieting will have to be constrained by the realities of my abnormally low muscle mass - and that means a natural cap to my food intake that is hugely lower than previously.

I occasionally have to remind myself that when I find it difficult to manage my food intake wrt to kayaking, hypothermia protocols etc. - it would all be horribly more complex if I didn't manage my weight and ended up having to manage the physical and metabolic consequences of that higher weight (eg, diabetes, CVD, added weight on joints and back). And that's without accounting for the added complexities of early sarcopenia.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:36 AM   #11

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
This is a great thread, Slow, so thanks for starting it.

Of course, I'm not to maintenance yet, but I've been so anxious to get to goal so I didn't have to think about my food and calories and exercise ALL-THE-TIME. And I'm beginning to realize that I may actually need to even at goal, at least until I find a sweet spot and can make it my routine. That realization is a bit of a bummer, and Dawn's recent comments drive that home. (and I'mm so sorry you're feeling this way, Dawn). But I also am determined to get to goal and not relapse and gain again.

And one thing my recent fatigue/break/not weighing has taught me is that I got down to 174, was feeling pretty good and starting to feel trim, and I started taking that for granted. Now that I've gained a bit, and can feel and see it, I realize it. I keep trying to remember how great I felt when I got to THIS point on the way down and recapture that feeling, and I'm struggling with that. Why can't I remember how much better THIS is than where I have been? I guess it's a good thing, because it is spurring me on to get back down to that, and lower.

I'm ready to keep fighting this battle. I won't be perfect every day. I won't have my 100% mojo all the time. But if I can most of the time, hopefully I can keep it in control.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:40 AM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
SS, I wonder if the woman you quoted is trying to "maintain" a unrealistic weight? I guess it all comes down to how hard you're willing to work at keeping a certain weight, or how much energy/effort and time you're willing to put into diet alone. I understand that it will take effort, but what is realistic and how low (weight) is low enough?
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:57 AM   #13

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Do you experience hunger or is it more that you want to eat without slotting it into some schedule of time or even calories /carb cycling?
Both. I often don't feel satisfied on UDs unless I'm eating truly decadent meals. In order to do that, I have to deal with a schedule, which is annoying. Right now, trying out TDEE, I'm really trying to train my body to eat what it needs and to be comfortable with that. My TDEE is around 1669 calories, daily, according to the calculator I'm using, and I know that can be highly variable, but that's what I'm shooting for--well, between BMR (just under 1400) and TDEE. I'm really hoping to be able to learn how to eat "normally" within those calories. The problem is that I can easily eat that many calories in one meal. So I still have to plan and prioritize.

I find I do best if I have a fairly set menu. What I'm working on now is getting plenty of protein, with fewer calories in the morning and afternoon, so that I can still have a nice dinner and/or drinks. I want to be able to go on vacation in June and be so used to eating "normally" that I won't be tempted to go overboard.

Another thing I find interesting is that I've been maintaining for a long time now, well over a year (with little bouts of WLM thrown in there during that time), and it's getting more and more difficult, mentally and emotionally. I really thought it would be a breeze by now and just part of my normal routine. It's not. Sometimes I wonder if JUDDD spoiled me because all throughout my WLM, I was still able to incorporate treats and excess. Now that I'm maintaining, I can still do that if I keep low DDs, but I don't want to do EOD. I want to have my cake and eat it too, EVERY DAY. I know how juvenile that sounds, and I know it can't be a reality, but I still feel like kicking rocks sometimes.

All that said, JUDDD transformed my body and my life. I also know I'll end up returning to it again and again because it really is the most effective and least intrusive WOE for me. It's just a phase I'm going through right now where I want to pout and sulk. This, too, shall pass.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:57 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
I think it was in the body image thread I said something kinda similar to what I'm going to try to say here, except in regards to body image instead of food.

First, with a few exceptions, we're all here because we have (had?) an abnormal relationship with food and/or a metabolism so messed up that no matter what we did, we gained. Or at least didn't easily lose. I'm with the team in that I'm exhausted thinking about food all the time. It was easier before I was determined to increase protein intake. Now I'm trying to fit a certain amount of protein within a set amount of calories which severely limits my food choices. This should be freeing but some days its incredibly restricting. And I know myself, I may crack with the restrictions.

But sometimes, dang it, I just want a cheeseburger without having to think about how its going to fit into my week and calculating what else will need to be given up in order to accommodate said cheeseburger.

We've heard countless stories on the JUDDD boards of folks who lost a bunch with <insert diet here> but then gained it all back. People talk about JUDDD being a WOE/WOL folks can live with. And regardless of how you get there, I am starting to realize that its not going to be a free-for-all once I hit maintenance. Its like you think - once I lose all the weight I can finally have <insert deliciousness here>. In fact, you see it in signature lines on LCF. Whatever you're craving will still be there when you lose weight. Yup, and if you indulge, then you'll be right back in need of WLM.

Cindy - I don't think the OP SS referred to is necessarily trying to maintain a weight that is too low for her body. I think she's probably adjusting to having to be vigilant about what she's eating and maintaining. I think the thought that I've hit my goal, I can relax now is a dangerous one. Its hard work to get there, and it will be work to maintain it. Clearly none of us are good at "maintaining" thin, because if we were, we could not have gotten heavy in the first place.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:09 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
I also say thanks for this thread SS.. Will come back later to see what every one has shared~
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:14 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Debra's been in maintenance for > 10yrs, LG, although she says she had previously yo-yoed and regained before her present WOE. I 'm reasonably confident that Dr Berkeley wouldn't point people towards her if she thought that Debra was attempting to maintain an unrealistic weight.
Quote:
I have maintained more than 55 pounds of weight loss (roughly 27% of my highest established weight) for more than eight years. [2010 was year this was written and from recent responses, she's still maintaining.]
I think it's worth reading her posts. Debra didn't have any difficulties with maintenance for approx 4 yrs because she thoroughly enjoyed running and that level of exercise intensity worked for her. However, exercise-related injuries took their toll, and she had to switch to relatively low-impact exertion which had implications for what she ate and how long it would take her to exercise at lower-intensities than normal to achieve the results she wanted.
Quote:
Early on, actually, weight-loss maintenance wasn’t that difficult for me (I could have called it a “lifestyle” without choking) because I became a running nut. It happened gradually – I started with walking and sprinting, when I was still losing weight, which turned into longer sprints, which tied into miles of sprints at a time and no walking at all. There’s truth to the notion that running is addictive. My addiction lasted for more than four years, and I would still be a running nut if my joints and left foot had only remained as addicted as my head. Grrrrr. I think that regular running, for all the subtle hormonal adjustments it makes in one’s body, counters much of the hormonal pull and the impulses to eat that would return a body to its highest established weight. I have not found another form of exercise as effective, though I sally onward. I have experienced some regain, about 13 pounds, which is not enough to qualify me as a failure at this game yet.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:38 AM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

I didn't mean to imply anything negative about the woman you quoted, SS. I just know that some people try to achieve a weight that is smaller than one that they might maintain a little easier. For instance, I might not have to be as diligent at 150 as I would at 130, but at 150 I'm still in the "normal" range although I might "prefer" to be 130. No matter, I will still have to work to maintain, but perhaps not as strenuously. Does that make sense?

I'm well aware that maintenance takes energy, because I have been doing it for a long time. Although not intentional (for the most part), I have been maintaining while also watching calories and doing regular DDs.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Old 03-26-2014, 10:09 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Planelman
Stats: 350.1/206.4/190(10%BF) 6' 44
WOE: Leangains/Carb Backloading
Start Date: 7/14/2011
I think I just need a plan for maintenance and specific identified points at which I can identify I am getting off track and a WOE that should naturally be satisfying and provide the nutrients my body needs and keep inflammation low. I know I don't want to count calories for the rest of my life, but at the same time I have to personally keep carbs within reason to not gain weight.

So once a week weight checks to make sure I'm bouncing around within 5 pounds of a target weight that I have determined I can maintain through calorie counting at TDEE. And choosing Primal as my WOE, cutting out all grains, vegetable oils, beans, sticking to grassfed meats and wild caught fish and plenty of good healthy vegetables and sometimes white rice and sweet potatoes, keeping carbs below 150g max and averaging probably between 75g and 100g, without tracking. If my weight exceeds the target plus 5 I look at what I'm eating (or activity levels) and dial in anything that might be off and go on a mini-deficit period to correct.

For activity, we can never out exercise our diet, so exercise in maintenance shouldn't be how we maintain our weight. Transitioning exercise into fun physical activities that you do because you enjoy them will help to make sure it is not such a burden that you have to do to maintain your weight. I actually enjoy weight lifting so I will continue that for the satisfaction of doing better looking better and having some quality time with myself. But I also want to do more alternate physical activities like hiking just to get out and enjoy my new found health, travel and see a bit of the world and finding physical activities where I go.

As long as I'm consistently active and stick to what should be a healthy unprocessed way of eating then theoretically I should be able to maintain fairly effortlessly. And on occasion, indulge a little, have some cake on my Birthday, just not have cake everyday of my birth month!

It shouldn't be something we consider a part time job, and if we had dedicated some effort to these activities all along then we might have never gotten to the point where we had to lose so much weight to begin with and had to be so vigilant and restrictive to correct. So the perception that it is a part time job should just be a realization that every day we need to make sure we are nourishing our bodies and giving ourselves the building blocks for health more often than disease.

Hopefully I'm being realistic and can make it work and it will be as effortless as I make it sound. We will see, I haven't decided I'm in maintenance yet so I still have to get there first.

159.3 Pounds lost since 7/14/2011

Low Calorie: 7/14/2011 - 80lbs lost
Primal: 4/20/2012 - 55.3lbs lost
JUDDD: 4/10/2013 - 23.4lbs lost
Nutritional Ketosis 9/1/2013 - 15.4% BF
Planelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:38 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmmaLiza
Stats: 240/155/125
WOE: LC: 70 lb; JUDDD: 15 lb
Start Date: LC: Apr 2012; JUDDD: Feb 2014
I probably am just as naive as heck, but I have been presuming that the motivation that has gotten me to this heretofore unexperienced amount of weight loss would continue into motivation to maintain.

I have--at least intellectually--held the opinion all along that once you start a diet, you are on it forever. It's why I stopped dieting years before. I'm very aware of it now and think about maintenance a lot already.

My motivation to lose weight came as a result of learning to do something that has become a part time job for me. So, if keeping my weight down is also a part time job, then I'm going to start dealing with that fact and perhaps think of both activities together, as the work I do "on the side" requires me to have a certain level of fitness.

It is, BTW, equine craniosacral therapy, and I feel it is a part of who I am and blessed to have found this missing piece of myself. (link is to human CST, because wikipedia doesn't have a separate article for horses)
EmmaLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:52 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/124.2/122-125
WOE: Chronic Experimenter
Subscribing.
CarolinaCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:46 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/160.8/165
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
I like my down days. They make me feel as if I really do have some sort of control of my emotions and habits.
My fantasy surrounding maintenance is to continue DDs and then not count on UDs.
Also to weigh daily.
??
I'm on guard right now. I hit a new decade this morning and am 'taking my emotional temperature' hourly. I hit a huge (for me) milestone, can wear clothing I have not looked at for years and years and feel really happy. I have to be very careful right now as I know I am vulnerable to feeling like 'I did it'. I have to remind myself that this is a just another step in the journey.
I stayed at 165 for years and years during my professional career. I was the lone woman on a large sales team in a male dominated industry (construction and auto fasteners). I monitored myself religiously.
Then all within 18 months I lost my husband and my company was sold off and I lost my job. Then I lost my health insurance. I ate my emotions, my fears, my loneliness. I remember the monitoring years, though. It was just a habit to do so. I am hoping maintenance is like that for me. A habit.
As I've alluded to a bit I have a huge change in my life coming up and will have to learn to make JUDDD work with new routines. I am nervous, but feeling more confident w/ each tenth of a pound I lose.
I think all any of us wants is a peaceful feeling with regard to our bodies. That is what I want: peace.
Blessings,
P
It is time.

Quote from SoHappy: I realized the world would never run out of goodies. I could have them forever. I didn't have to eat them every day, every Up Day, or even every week anymore.
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:08 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Locarbarella
Stats: 188/125/125 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb maintenance since 2007
Start Date: Atkins 2006
I've been maintaining within 10 pounds for about 8 years now and I think it's hard but not that hard. For me, the key was to fundamentally change the composition of my diet on a permanent basis. I simply stopped eating sugar and mostly avoid starch and that's pretty much how I continue to maintain.
I know that seems joyless and rigid, but I look at it the way a vegetarian or someone with food allergies (or just those who are picky eaters) look at it. For me it is the same as someone who doesn't like strawberries or doesn't like cabbage and *just doesn't eat those things.* I don't question it anymore.

And if there's a single thing that's made the difference for me it's that I track my weight religiously and I still track my food at least half the time. It's very easy for me to start eating more than I really need unless I can eyeball the numbers fairly frequently. I'm also fascinated with nutrition, diets and all the emerging science behind it, so rather than a job, I think I've turned that part of it into a sort of hobby.

Do I *enjoy* this? Not really. But I realized some time back as I was whining to myself about how tedious and boring all this attention to my weight is, that I had paid just as much attention to my weight when I was heavy. I've never had a time since I was a kid when I wasn't obsessed with it to some degree or another so I might as well resign myself to being obsessed at the low end of the scale.

I would guess that most people who maintain their weight have to make peace with the fact that they will always be thinking, planning, plotting, strategizing, tweaking etc if they want to avoid gaining too much weight. There's something freeing about accepting that. It becomes just another one of the unavoidable obligations we all have in life --- an obligation to yourself. It's certainly better than the alternative.
Locarbarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:22 PM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I still think I spend a lot of time and energy on maintence, but none of it seems like drudgery. I exercise at least 2x per week, hopefully more. I have 2 DD under 200 calories (hopefully), but otherwise I eat what I want, which is actually reasonable. I stop when full and wait a while when first feeling hunger.

Maintence has not been like another job, but it takes dedication and commitment for sure. There was a luncheon for us at work today. I went, but did not eat. It's a DD. That how I roll.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:49 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Hmmm. I'm not sure how I feel about this topic, really. I'm still very new to maintenance, though...but maintenance is what terrified me most as I've never been able to do it before. So far (hmmm, 8 months in or so), it's pretty awesome! I find it flexible enough that sometimes I do what I did during WLM exactly, and other times (like today), I eat a bit more on a DD. I'm still doing EOD rotations, though, and have been the entire time. I don't count calories on UDs now, and know I eat WAY over what I'm probably supposed to. I weigh faithfully every day and adjust my calories/eating accordingly. Is it alot of work? I suppose I could choose to look at it this way, but I don't. It was more work losing all the regained weight 3 times than taking the few minutes every day (after getting on the scale) deciding what I need to do to stay where I'm at. I find myself wanting to do more right now...maybe I'll do some walking when the weather warms up, try some new activities, etc. BECAUSE I WANT TO, not because I feel like I have to in order to lose weight.

I don't know, I guess it is what I choose to make of it. Was weight loss hard? I suppose it was, but I chose to think it wasn't that bad and with the exception of a few moody episodes (you can find them on this forum!), it was pretty joyful. No different so far this far in to maintenance for me. I am just happy to have found something that works and will continue to do so, as long as I choose to keep following it. THAT is powerful for me. ♥

Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:28 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 146/133/120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locarbarella View Post
But I realized some time back as I was whining to myself about how tedious and boring all this attention to my weight is, that I had paid just as much attention to my weight when I was heavy.
THIS. For me, when I'm heavier - I still obsess over what I'm eating, then binge, then cry. The scale dips 2, 4 lbs down, then up again and higher. I'm not happy then.
If, no WHEN I get to maintenance, I think it's a fair trade off to still have to obsess over what I'm eating, but at least be happy that I fit into small clothes and feel better about myself. At least on the two-edged coin I have a happy side. I'll swap that out for the double miserable-sided coin.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:55 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locarbarella View Post
... But I realized some time back as I was whining to myself about how tedious and boring all this attention to my weight is, that I had paid just as much attention to my weight when I was heavy. I've never had a time since I was a kid when I wasn't obsessed with it to some degree or another so I might as well resign myself to being obsessed at the low end of the scale.

This is why I am hopeful that maintenance with JUDDD will be easier than I imagined. My relationship with food has totally changed.

I think about it MUCH less than I used to.

I worry about it MUCH MUCH MUCH less than I used to.

It is a revelation to me how much food/weight issues filled my life before. First with switching to low-carb, and now with JUDDD, food/weight have assumed what I think may be a normal part of my attention. I love it!
Old 03-27-2014, 04:57 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I understand if people don't want to read the blog I mention because it's just not the right time to look at someone's discussion of their (now) >10yr experience of weight maintenance. However, it would be helpful if responders would clarify if they've read any posts other than the extracts I selected.

A recurrent finding is that 3% of weight-reduced people maintain that for >5yrs, and there is some weight creep within that. 90% of that 3% include regular exercise as part of that maintenance. Debra exercises. Our own Kissa/Cindy is now approx a 10yr maintainer adding together her Atkins maintenance that ran into her decision to shed more weight and maintain it with JUDDD.

A number of other people here (including me) are in the relative early days of maintenance (and that's not to be sneezed at). I'm genuinely intrigued by the number who neither exercise nor have a particularly active lifestyle. We appear to have an early days cluster of the 10% of the successful 3% weight maintainers (bear in mind that many of us will not meet the National Weight Control Registry criteria for successful maintenance until we reach 5yrs). Only time and reporting back will reveal if our tweaks of JUDDD confer some form of advantage over the more common methods.

LG, LCG, and other self-styled turtles who've chosen to read this topic. I wonder if you acknowledge fully to yourselves that you already count in the 20% of successful weight loss maintainers by some current definitions that are in play? 20 percent of maintainers are successful, if you define success as maintaining a 10 percent loss for one year - now, some of you are holding at considerably more than 10%, even if you are currently cross-country skiing with your weight management rather than downhill racing (to adapt one of Debra's metaphors).
Quote:
Research has shown that ≈20% of overweight individuals are successful at long-term weight loss when defined as losing at least 10% of initial body weight and maintaining the loss for at least 1 y. The National Weight Control Registry provides information about the strategies used by successful weight loss maintainers to achieve and maintain long-term weight loss. National Weight Control Registry members have lost an average of 33 kg and maintained the loss for more than 5 y. To maintain their weight loss, members report engaging in high levels of physical activity (≈1 h/d), eating a low-calorie, low-fat diet, eating breakfast regularly, self-monitoring weight, and maintaining a consistent eating pattern across weekdays and weekends...after individuals have successfully maintained their weight loss for 2–5 y, the chance of longer-term success greatly increases. Continued adherence to diet and exercise strategies, low levels of depression and disinhibition, and medical triggers for weight loss are also associated with long-term success. Long-term weight loss maintenance. Wing & Phelan.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:33 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

I have started reading Debra's blog. It looks like a great resource. I was amazed at how small the percentage is of people who maintain their loss, and also how small the number was to be considered a 'considerable' amount of weight lost. (+10% of body weight.) Sadly, I see way too many people who need to go down by that much. What has our society become?
Old 03-27-2014, 06:06 AM   #29
Big Yapper!!!!

I am in the 17% of body weight (lost) category. My initial goal was 35% loss, which would equal 72 lbs down. I am now considering a lesser goal of maybe 25-30%, and going lower only if it is a by-product of maintenance. Thank you for pointing out the truth about success, Slow, and how many of us can count ourselves in that category even before we've gotten to our goals.

I know that I have done something that is difficult, and that many people never do nor have the desire to do. I was one of those people for many years. I don't know what "snapped" in me that gave me the strength to tackle my weight and go on this journey, but I do know what kept me there. This forum and everyone in it.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:19 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/160.8/165
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I don't know what "snapped" in me that gave me the strength to tackle my weight and go on this journey, but I do know what kept me there. This forum and everyone in it.

Amen, my dear friend, Amen.
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote