Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 07:30 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladybarometer
Stats: 219/188/160
WOE: Low Carb (Less than 30 total a day)
Start Date: Always Ongoing it seems
Trouble... Going...

So... I had two UDs this weekend and it has caused a large amount of bloating. I had a great DD yesterday eating only 1/2 sweet potato, a fiber bar, and a small toffee square. I was FAR below 500, closer to 375, and not hungry. Anyway.. like I said, two UDs this weekend, and every week I've had trouble going, so I feel extra heavy this week.

I've done 1 of two things every Friday night for the past 3 weeks; drink some smooth move tea, or take Correctol. This of course helps, but I can't do that forever! Once a week? No way!

Do you have any advice on regularity? Maybe a supplement I can take daily? Fiber is not a problem, I eat plenty of Fiber on my UDs and use to I would have ummm... movement each DD. Not anymore..

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2014, 07:36 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I'm not the best to comment on this as I've NEVER been regular. It's not unusual for me to go several days with no, erm, productivity. Perhaps you're getting too much fiber? I know it can have the opposite effect on some. Are you drinking plenty of water? Magnesium Citrate is supposed to help as well. Natural Calm is a MC supplement you mix with water and it tastes pretty good (especially with a splash of DaVinci's sugar free raspberry syrup--tastes like berry lemonade).
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
My standard suggestions are:

Magnesium(orally, in pill form, as a bath, with epsom salts, or spraying oil on your skin and rubbing in).
More fat in the diet, particularly coconut oil.
Squatting instead of sitting when you eliminate. Sitting holds the colo-rectal muscle closed, squatting opens it up, so that whatever you have to get rid of, at least has an easier time getting out of you. Even just elevating your feet on a stepping stool, so your knees are higher than your hips, helps a lot of people.

Good luck!
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:20 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no scale unless doing PHD
WOE: HDE, Potatoes as needed
Start Date: May 2014
have you read about resistant starch? I have constipation issues and have to take magnesium nightly to "go" in the morning. I've been researching because i know things must be off with my gut flora. Google resistant starch and free the animal.

I also "second" Sirtain!
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:21 AM   #5

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I don't have any good answers, but having had a horrible bout with "it" recently, I sympathize. And I'm watching all the comments for ideas.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:25 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

might I add that unmodifed potato starch (as a resistant starch) is not supposed to count as a real carb if ingested unheated. I have been mixing with water and drinking in the AM on empty stomach with a Soil-based probiotic..
Old 03-25-2014, 08:29 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ldavis
Stats: 226/220/160
WOE: juddd
Start Date: December 2013
I take 1000 mg of magnesium every night, helps a lot bc I've always had issues in that area
ldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:18 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/160.8/165
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
ugh
me too
following along!
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:40 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Ha! I'm glad I'm not alone. It doesn't bother me until I start feeling sick. I think too much fiber is definitely an idea. I've changed my diet a bit starting this week, and in result I have noticed less fiber so maybe that can help? I've also increased fat. I love coconut oil, but I've never noticed a difference in my ... going habits.

A friend of mine did tell me about the squatting idea - she learned this from child birth, that and relaxing your face muscles? Man, women talk about some odd and personal stuff LOL!!

I'm certainly going to try the magnesium. The only reason I don't really like the Smooth Move tea is that it makes me feel kind of sick, and I'm not a huge fan of the taste. I usually brew it, let it cool, and drink it fast. Maybe that's part of the problem - it's meant to be sipped I'm sure.

I want to look more into the gut flora subject - I've been watching Green's posts and it's definitely something interesting to look into. I'm sure constipation is a domino effect - maybe fixing the first few dominos will fix the umm.. "end" result

I could just eat a lot of SF candies... LOL! Ugh!
ladybarometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:02 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmmaLiza
Stats: 240/155/125
WOE: LC: 70 lb; JUDDD: 15 lb
Start Date: LC: Apr 2012; JUDDD: Feb 2014
I have two cents to throw in the pot.

I've tried all the suggestions above except potato starch (new to me). I also tried various forms of fiber, which almost all had the opposite effect. I know they work for lots of people and I would suggest trying any supplement first. But what finally helped me was to take a stool softener (no laxative) every day. I just get a generic drugstore or grocery store low-dose brand with 250 capsules.

I've been doing this since early LC days, so over a year and a half. No side effects, no diarrhea (which I used to be very prone to). LC is a low residue WOE, so I had to get used to not being... errr... as productive as I had in the past.

As long as I'm actively trying to lose weight, I think I'll do this. I eat more fiber on JUDDD, but with DDs, I think I may still need the help. My dh had chronic constipation and has taken these for years and years. Our dr is fine with it.

Rather than the senna tea, you can use Prunelax. It has only senna and prune and I have found it to be the gentlest of all laxatives I've tried. I never travel without it.

Last edited by EmmaLiza; 03-25-2014 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: Prunelax info.
EmmaLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

My mom mentioned the same thing; taking a stool softner every day, which I'm ok with as long as I don't experience the uncomfortable bloating. I don't think fiber is an issue, because I eat plenty, no movement though, just ummmm... air. Today for instance, I've eaten plenty of fiber, and now I'm even more uncomfortable - at this point, I would be better use in a parade as a float.

Where can you buy Prunelax, or what section should I be looking in?

If none of these suggestions work, I guess I'll make a visit to the doctor. A friend of mine had trouble going and over loaded on fiber and over time developed polyps, so I get worried I'm doing the wrong thing.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:33 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybarometer View Post
My mom mentioned the same thing; taking a stool softner every day, which I'm ok with as long as I don't experience the uncomfortable bloating. I don't think fiber is an issue, because I eat plenty, no movement though, just ummmm... air. Today for instance, I've eaten plenty of fiber, and now I'm even more uncomfortable - at this point, I would be better use in a parade as a float.
Ugh, definitely been there. It's the worst.

I've never tried a stool softener, Emma, but you make it sound incredibly gentle. It would be nice to not have to take anything and just be able to...go normally.

I was reading the dichotomous earth thread, and it seemed like that helped some people be more regular?
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:34 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Yeah, fiber blocks me up if I'm not careful. If you've had a lot lately, you might have a blockage, rather than constipation. At least, that is my experience with too much fiber. Sorry if TMI!

Prunelax is with the laxatives. I get it at Rite Aid. In my area, I have not seen it at our local Walgreens or Kroger. I haven't looked anywhere else, but I'll bet it can be ordered online from any number of places. One will usually do me, after dinner, but anytime is probably okay. It doesn't give me that urgent feeling, but YMMV.

I never experience bloating from either of these. The distension of having a gut problem like not being able to "go" goes away when I do finally "go." I'm post menopause, so don't have the horrid bloating from TOM that I used have.

I have not tried diatomaceous earth internally. I have used it on the floors to kill fleas and it did the job beautifully.

Last edited by EmmaLiza; 03-25-2014 at 11:43 AM..
Old 03-25-2014, 11:53 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/115/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
I tried Prunelax but it did not help me I bought it at Walmart where the vitamins and other fiber things are.

I also have the stool softner from Walmart, but my bottle says "do not take for longer then one week, unless recommended by you doctor".

I have on order from PP some magnizium, will let you know how that works for me.

Do not know what brand others here are taking - any recommendations more then welcome!
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

I'm definitely looking for something gentle that I can take without having to take a day off to deal with the results LOL! That's why I said Friday is when I take the Correctol or drink the tea, because I need to be free to "go" all day, and able to wear a loose waist band. Correctol has stages with me - it's like a whole ordeal:

1) I HAVE to take it at bedtime, and no lingering! Bed time must - sleep time.
2) Wake up 6-8 hours later with AWFUL cramping, but no urge...
3) fall asleep for another hour, and the URGE!!
4) More cramping - doubled over in pain
5) An hour later, I'm able to go back to bed for a while...
6) URGE!! LMAO!!

The tea is a little better, and a lot less pain, but it still makes me feel sick.

I know you guys needed to know all of that. Point is though, this isn't healthy at all - I want to be healthy from top to bottom
Old 03-25-2014, 12:01 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

That sounds AWFUL! Maybe sugar free Jelly bellies are the way to go. At least they're yummy!
Old 03-25-2014, 12:11 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Hahaha!! SF candies give me other embarrassing gastrointestinal issues.

It is awful. I only take those when I'm desperate or out of tea. And with me anyway, there's not in between with correctol - either it decided that it's not going to work, or it's the terrible, awful pain and distress.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:23 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Liquid laxatives might be more helpful/absorbable, or the kind you mix with water. Or what about having a colonic?

The thing I'd be careful about is taking a laxative on top of a blocked place. You will be uncomfortable and may not be able to remove the blockage unless it comes down far enough. I'm speaking mainly to the high fiber intake, which has been my nemesis a couple of times. Suppository laxatives are an option in those cases.

I forgot to mention, the nondrug that helped the most was the probiotic, but not every kind was equally effective.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:32 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
Squatting. I'm telling ya.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:39 PM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Magnesium is MUCH more gentle than laxatives, and only one a day does it for me. Some people take two.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaLiza View Post

I forgot to mention, the nondrug that helped the most was the probiotic, but not every kind was equally effective.
Emma which probiotic did you find was most effective? one of SlowSure's articles mentioned Primal Defense (I think) but it was pretty pricey.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

One non- drug route that is helpful is vigorous aerobic workouts. I've found that to be pretty helpful. It reminded me with all the talk of squatting!

So what exactly IS a probiotic anyway. I hear the term a lot, and that its a good thing, but I'm not clear on what they do.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:13 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee View Post
Emma which probiotic did you find was most effective? one of SlowSure's articles mentioned Primal Defense (I think) but it was pretty pricey.
I'm sorry, I don't remember which one it was. I know I got it at the grocery, and I thought it was pricey, but I bought it anyway. It stopped being available for some reason and I couldn't find it elsewhere. I chose it because it had the longest list of probiotic substances, which is about my only tip for choosing one at this point.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:21 PM   #24

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I know you all are going to laugh at me, because I'm always pushing the hula hoop for exercise. Let me just say, it is helpful in the "going" area too!

There is something about the weighted hoop circling your midsection and massaging that area that really gets things moving for me. Sometimes so much so that I have to stop hooping and "go".

Between my morning coffee and my hooping, usually I can get things going pretty good.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:22 PM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybarometer View Post
One non- drug route that is helpful is vigorous aerobic workouts. I've found that to be pretty helpful. It reminded me with all the talk of squatting!

So what exactly IS a probiotic anyway. I hear the term a lot, and that its a good thing, but I'm not clear on what they do.
Probiotics restore natural gut flora, I think, but you can easily google it or read about it here in Netrition or other places in the forum. It's especially helpful when you've destroyed good bacteria (from taking antibiotics, for example). I've heard that non-dairy probiotics are the most effective, and I have Solaray brand that I bought from the health food store. It was 16.00 for 100 capsules, and it needs refrigeration. I have had them for a year and take them occasionally as needed.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:57 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Probiotics: Prescript assist, primal defense, fermented foods like real sauerkraut (no vinegar in ingredient list.. Or homemade. I just made some earlier. Two ingredients: chopped cabbage and sea salt). Also I hear ya gotta make sure you're giving these little critters the food (prebiotics) they need too. Hence why I'm eating resistant starch. Gut flora allegedly love it.

Last edited by Green; 03-25-2014 at 06:59 PM..
Old 03-26-2014, 06:02 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Magnesium stops working for some people over time.

There's a lot on the board about resistant starch and gut flora and various posts on the following threads might be helpful:
Going no where

Going no where

March Daily Weigh-In or Alternate Day Weigh-In
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:06 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee View Post
In the US Vitamin Shoppe has a web only special on Primal Defense - it's $26.99 for 90 capsules - It seems to be cheaper than other distributors tho', of course, I know nothing about them.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:14 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Probiotics are live bacteria in yogurt, other dairy products and pills. And while probiotics have been shown effective in managing certain gastrointestinal conditions, they do not have the same power that prebiotics do. First, they’re delicate — heat and stomach acid can kill them, rendering them ineffective before they’ve even been digested. Also, those who don’t eat dairy foods for taste or dietary reasons may find ingesting adequate amounts of probiotics difficult, if not impossible.

What is a prebiotic, then? In short, the Prebiotic is a specialized plant fiber that beneficially nourishes the good bacteria already in the large bowel or colon. The body itself does not digest these plant fibers; instead, the fibers act as a fertilizer to promote the growth of many of the good bacteria in the gut. These, in turn, provide many digestive and general health benefits.
Fibre in the diet is soluble, insoluble etc. Resistant starches are in various classes of soluble/insoluble and are useful at the further reaches of the digestive tract - beyond the stomach.

Eating a wide range of vegetables provides various types of fibre (as mentioned in above linked posts). People are experimenting with resistant starches as it's tricky to obtain these in substantial quantities within a restricted carb WOE.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:51 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
In the US Vitamin Shoppe has a web only special on Primal Defense - it's $26.99 for 90 capsules - It seems to be cheaper than other distributors tho', of course, I know nothing about them.
Thanks SlowSure! I might just bite the bullet and give it a try.