Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 11:54 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: smallerizing
Stats: 196/185/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 6-18-13 JUDDD
About to give up, bronchitis is winning!

Remember me? I got a bad case of bronchitis and pneumonia in January, and finally got a nebulizer to take Albuterol. I had been told a long time ago that albuterol raises blood sugar, and of course that affects ketosis.

Since JUDDD is dependent on ketogenesis, at least in a small way compared to other low-carb diets, I think that may have been why I was gaining instead of losing.

My previous 17 lb loss is now wiped out by a 15 lb gain, and I'm trying not to use the albuterol as much. Until my lungs are healthy again, I'm wondering if there is a good way to prevent the insulin/glycogen spikes and valleys. I'm now eating a meal before using the nebulizer, but on the down days, it's not much of a meal...Ya know what I mean?

If anyone knows of an answer to this new dilemma, I'd sure appreciate it. I was so happy to have found something that my metabolism doesn't resist!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2014, 12:58 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Christine, I am no help, but I am sure someone cleverer than me like Slow Sure will have something to add.

Sorry you have been so ill.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:40 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Sorry you had that awful bad health in January. Do what you need to get those lungs healthy. JUDDD will always be waiting when you feel better.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I'm looking at it this way; if I hadn't lost that much last year, I'd be even bigger!
smallerizing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:21 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
That's a good way to think of things, indeed!!!

I am so sorry you've been so sick...and pneumonia/bronchitis is SO exhausting for so long. Definitely take care of yourself! As yamster said, Juddd isn't going anywhere!
Flutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I have no answer, but have
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:10 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/160.8/165
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
Wow, I am so sorry to read this.
Do you think your doctor would have some advice for you?
I have nothing to offer but a big hug and faithful prayer.
P
Patkid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgcashier
My husband has a nebulizer and used to get brochitis all the time. He could not use Albuteral....raised his blood pressure sky high. We got simple saline to use and it worked great for him. Maybe you could try that.
dgcashier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:33 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/200/179 @ 5'7" size 14/16, age 55 (-246#)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
I always gain weight with taking antibiotics and cough medicines which contain sugar.....have you had to use steroid inhalers?
Likely a 15 pound weight gain is fluid retention and I would bet when you're back with the program you'll drop 10 in a hurry. You know you cannot eat with coughing jags.....soup has sodium too....
I gained 7 pounds for a 5 day Z pack prescribed for a sinus infection.....ridiculous!!
Hope you feel better soon!

Last edited by Dirty Harriet; 03-20-2014 at 09:36 PM..
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:23 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
None of us can give medical advice - and it seems you're having an unfortunate response to the Albuterol because altho' it's not unusual for it to raise BP, it's thought to be uncommon for it to encourage the liver to dump glucose like that (hyperglycaemia) although the issue is more complicated for people with diabetes or other insulin signalling disorders (are you diabetic?).

In what might seem to be an irony, given your experience, because Albuterol is a stimulant (in metabolic terms) there are still some body builders who use it to kick up their metabolisms in the hope of fat-burning.

As per Dirty Harriet's post - have you been taking antibiotics or steroids to handle the infections? Do you have a lot of inflammation as a consequence of being unwell like this? I wonder if your body is still in recovery mode and this is what is prompting any swings in blood sugar levels rather than the Albuterol?

Are you feeling jittery after using the nebuliser? As if you're getting a cortisol spike?

Eating as few kcals as we do on DDs is what ensures most people are in a ketosis range (as long as their glycogen stores are depleted). As the potato hack demonstrated to a number of people, if your appetite is so suppressed that you're only eating 350-420kcals a day, then you can be in ketosis, eating nothing but carbohydrate, because it's the fasting and glycogen-depletion that puts you there.

If you want to try and manipulate your probable insulin and other responses, that is complicated, as you know, by your general wellbeing and how active you can be. You could eat moderate protein and high fat with a small amount of only the lower-glycaemic carbs to reduce the probable insulin secretions - but if you're inflamed elsewhere, then your body will have its own logic, and do what it needs to do to prioritise that. Plus, eating higher fat contributes to higher levels of free fatty acids in the blood stream to use as fuel, but, if lung problems are interfering with your normal activity levels, then might not be straightforward to use that fuel before it's deposited somewhere.

Overall, I wonder if you'd be well advised to deal with any inflammation and healing yourself before re-committing to WLM? I know that this is probably not what you want to hear but I wonder if it would set you up better for a successful return if you try out maintenance and wait for your body to heal.
June 2014 Life, eh! In March I had a DXA scan which revealed very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional and normal service may resume at some point

Last edited by SlowSure; 03-21-2014 at 03:28 AM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:37 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammyann
Stats: 162/140.5/maintain 135-139
Start Date: March 2012 re-start Dec. 2012
I hope you feel better soon.
Sammyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:33 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Well, I'm not using antibiotics, since I'm sensitive or allergic to most of them. I hadn't known about saline, but I'll look into it.

I do get very jittery after using it, but my lungs feel OH so good and it's easy to breathe! But the good news is that when the weather isn't cold, I can go several days without it.

Yesterday, I was up OVER my start weight, although I'm sure it was salt consumption from the day before....but still.....

So here's my new plan; down day today and every other day following. If I need to use the nebulizer, I'll eat protein first.

I really have to get this weight off, I'm so uncomfortable! I sure hope the JUDDD works like it did before.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:34 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

And thank you for the hugs, prayers, and encouragement!!!
Old 04-01-2014, 07:18 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I hope you get over this quickly! I'm having a very strange experience, but very different from yours. I started having asthma attacks (very unusual for me) a couple of weeks ago. They got worse and worse, until I finally realized my albuterol inhaler wasn't helping at all. I went to the doc and had a chest x-ray. She diagnosed asthmatic bronchitis and gave me both antibiotics and steroids. I have a robust immune system, so this has really surprised me. I've only had two colds in the last twelve years, so I'm not prone to illness at all.

I totally expected to gain weight from the steroids, but have actually LOST weight! It's not from not eating as much, either. I won't even tell you what I ate the day I was diagnosed, feeling crummy, and feeling sorry for myself, lol! It's been a few days and I'm feeling better, although still having some asthma. At least the inhaler helps now. My weight was lower today than it's been in over six months.

I guess the lesson is that every individual reacts differently to meds. Who knew?

I'm having second thoughts about posting this because it almost sounds like I'm bragging. I don't mean it that way at all. I do really feel so badly for your situation and hope it resolves quickly and that you can get right back on the losing track.
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

It's actually encouraging to know that I don't have to gain weight on steroids! Actually, a doctor told me years ago that the reason we gain weight is because steroids make us hungrier than normal. (Like I need THAT!)

So the last few times I've needed them I just told my tummy that it's the steroids talking. Problem solved! sort of.....

You gave me an idea, though. Mine very well could be asthmatic bronchitis, and if steroids would help knock it out, it's worth a try. Doc didn't give me any at the time because of the pneumonia, and it lowers the immune system.

My hubby thinks I should go to a "pneumologist" as he calls it. (Lung doctor)

Maybe it's time.

Yesterday was a successful DD, with no albuterol. I'll use the nebulizer today, because I did have a substantial coughing spell at breakfast. I think I breathe better when I'm skinny.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:12 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

That's worth checking out, for sure. I'm still having issues, but I'm slowly getting better. Good luck!
Old 04-01-2014, 05:37 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
JUDDD happens to also be a treatment for asthma. When DW is JUDDDing her asthma is almost non-existent. It's ordinarily pretty bad.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:31 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Carly, I was just thinking about that this weekend when I was struggling to breathe. I hadn't had asthma since I started JUDDD until a couple of weeks ago. I was surprised by it. I guess nothing's 100% guaranteed. I think it was seasonal allergies that brought on the asthma, followed by a secondary infection. But I would've thought I wouldn't have a problem with it, given my faithful JUDDDing for over 2 1/2 years.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:41 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Asthma is very weird in the UK this year - the very early pollen season seems to be triggering people who haven't had it for a long time. Not only is pollen season early, several pollen stressors are available in combination when typically they don't appear at the same time. With some people this year, I think it's the combined load of having them together rather than serially, with minimal overlap.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote