Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 09:17 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lc-chica
Stats: 164.4/152/140 5'5"
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 4-14-13
Frustrated

I just need to vent. I started Juddd in April 2013, and did great. I lost weight pretty quickly, after my first week I lost a couple pounds. 3 weeks in, I lost around 6 pounds. In all, I went from 164 lb to 152 lb in a couple/few months. Then I fell off the wagon (stress, emotion, you know).

So since October, I started working out and doing cardio. I started running and have improved greatly, my strength has improved so much. I alternate with other forms of cardio like bike/elliptical when my hip/knees bother me from running. At that point, in October, I had decided to stop Juddd altogether - I had been off/on and had gained some weight back but stopped completely once I started working out. I didn't really gain any more weight at that point but was back up to 160 lb. October/November I tried to do Intuitive Eating and I think that really helped me to not gain any more weight, but didn't really lose either. Around December, I started eating more healthy, I did a stint of very low carb, then switched to moderately low carb, and just eating healthy and trying to keep my protein up. I did protein shakes, etc. I have been told that I look thinner/firmer but the truth is my clothes are not really fitting any differently. I am trying to be optimistic and I think I look a little better, but not much.

So NOW I started Juddd again 3 weeks ago. Yesterday marked solid 3 weeks of down days. A week or so ago, I weighed and had lost 1 lb. (159.4). Then I weighed a couple days later after working out my legs very hard and gained the pound back (160.6). I figured - OK water weight, my muscles are very sore. So yesterday I had a DD, plus I did moderate cardio, no weights... haven't done any weights since last week Friday, and this morning decided to weigh. 160.8 which is 0.2 higher than last time I weighed.

I am soo frustrated. I don't know what's going on. I guess I just need someone to tell me it'll happen, just give it more time. I don't know. Last time I did Juddd, I wasn't exercising at all, and I almost think that'd be better - I'd lose weight faster... but will I be losing muscle? And I really am enjoying exercising and getting stronger, so I don't want to stop!

I do have thyroid issues, for which I am currently not on medication (I have secondary hypothyroid I guess) but I was having the same issues last time on Juddd and it didn't seem to affect my ability to lose weight, unless it's gotten worse...... I saw my endocrinologist in January.

So here's my numbers. I'm 28 yo, 5'5", 160 lb. I keep my UD around 1,800-1,900 and DD to 300-350.

Any advice? Sorry sooo long!!!
lc-chica is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2014, 09:20 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/163.8/165
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
Hi, Chica!
I have no advice as I am old and my idea of a work out is dusting. LOL
I just wanted to offer a hug and tell you I'm glad you're here.
More knowledgeable JBs will be along shortly.
P
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
I am a nutrition geek and spend too many hours on the net reading studies and blogs. Anyway the big thing I am hearing now is sleep and it's effect on weight and metabolism if we don't get enough. You are obviously exercising e enough which is great, but are you resting enough i.e. a good solid night's sleep? This is now such an issue for me I have taken Dr J's recommendation and am wearing amber glasses at night to filter the blue lights to try to manipulate melatonin levels. Anyway just a thought.

If you can get to the point where you can eat one unit of a trigger food (e.g. white chocolate covered licorice ball) whilst in a craving state, but stop right after, then you are a Jedi master and nothing can stand in your way

"I am what I ate...and I'm frightened"....Bill Cosby
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:18 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojocat View Post
I am a nutrition geek and spend too many hours on the net reading studies and blogs. Anyway the big thing I am hearing now is sleep and it's effect on weight and metabolism if we don't get enough. You are obviously exercising e enough which is great, but are you resting enough i.e. a good solid night's sleep? This is now such an issue for me I have taken Dr J's recommendation and am wearing amber glasses at night to filter the blue lights to try to manipulate melatonin levels. Anyway just a thought.
Thank you for your input mojocat.

I take melatonin most nights, and I get 8-9 hours of sleep, I'd say it's very good sleep. I've had issues with sleep in the past, but now I get very restful sleep!
Old 03-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
lc-chica have you been taking measurements? Maybe you're losing inches even if the scale isn't moving?
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:45 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

deedee - I'm not taking measurements. I've thought about it but am nervous it will make me more depressed if I don't see any improvements. I'm going by the way my clothes fit, and trying to gauge with that. But I don't notice them fitting much differently, albeit a little littleeee bit better.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:49 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladybarometer
Stats: 219/188/160
WOE: Low Carb (Less than 30 total a day)
Start Date: Always Ongoing it seems
Your cardio/workouts will play a big part in your weight loss depending on the intensity. If you have upped the intensity after any amount of time preforming low intensity workouts or not working out at all then you may just be holding on to water weight for muscle repair. It took my a week and a half to start losing, and even now I'm really bouncing which is frustrating. All in all I guess it took me a whole month to lose the 6lbs I have lost, and that's after lowering my intensity quite a bit.

I learned too, with my yo-yo dieting in the past that even the diets that work take a while to start really working - I don't know why, but it's like my body has to be convinced that I'm going to stick with it LOL!
Old 03-20-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
Sorry K-chica looks like you are doing everything right - I can understand your frustration. Perhaps it may have to come down to CICO? I know when people stop losing weight on LC they may need to look at the calories or portions. I'm at my goal weight and need to watch my portions/calories at this stage even though I could eat the house out. But I'm older than you and that is kind of expected, so I really can't understand and perhaps it is the thyroid issue somehow.
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:22 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybarometer View Post
Your cardio/workouts will play a big part in your weight loss depending on the intensity. If you have upped the intensity after any amount of time preforming low intensity workouts or not working out at all then you may just be holding on to water weight for muscle repair. It took my a week and a half to start losing, and even now I'm really bouncing which is frustrating. All in all I guess it took me a whole month to lose the 6lbs I have lost, and that's after lowering my intensity quite a bit.

I learned too, with my yo-yo dieting in the past that even the diets that work take a while to start really working - I don't know why, but it's like my body has to be convinced that I'm going to stick with it LOL!
I may need to lower my intensity with cardio. My husband keeps telling me I'm working too hard. It's what I've always done though, and it's hard for me to put the effort to get to the gym and not give it all I've got lol. Plus I get bored easily. I have read a book "The Glycemic Load" which touches on the slow twitch muscles and activating them with lower intensity cardio (like walking). But I've been jogging/running (not sprinting) so I figured I was good. The other thing I started doing about 3 weeks ago is cardio on an empty stomach first thing in the morning which is supposed to burn fat! Lol. I'm really reaching here. I have been doing cardio/weights for 4-1/2 months. I just started the "diet" part but expected some results by now. I actually thought in the beginning, that just the exercise would help me lose something, but .. nope. I am half considering taking a 1 week break from the gym and seeing if the scale budges. I just don't want to go a whole week without it!!! lol
Old 03-20-2014, 01:50 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ilahstrait
Stats: 159/125/130 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
While I was in weight loss mode I noticed I couldn't drop a pound when I was working out. Sadly I gave it up and lost at a decent pace. Now I work out while in maintenance. I think it would have been better if I kept exercising while in weight loss mode. I was out of shape for a thin person.

Haven't posted in a while but I'm in maintenance mode
ilahstrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:43 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Tierra: Congrats on reaching your goal and being in maintenance! That's awesome!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:50 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
There are a few threads floating around right now discussing exercise and weight loss in more detail. I'll see if I can find them, or maybe someone else can, and link them. They might be helpful. I'm specifically thinking of Christina's thread on weight loss resistance and there was one more as well...getting old is tough, I have no more memory...
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:18 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ilahstrait
Stats: 159/125/130 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Thanks Yam Yam!
ilahstrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:02 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lc-chica View Post
I am soo frustrated. I don't know what's going on. I guess I just need someone to tell me it'll happen, just give it more time. I don't know. Last time I did Juddd, I wasn't exercising at all, and I almost think that'd be better - I'd lose weight faster... but will I be losing muscle? And I really am enjoying exercising and getting stronger, so I don't want to stop!
Lc-Chica, are you my twin sister?

I am having the exact same issue. And I've seen it with other exercising JUDDDers over the last 20 months that I've been here (some of them are not here any more). I am starting to wonder if exercise -- at least some kinds of exercise or at a certain intensity -- plus JUDDD can sometimes stress out the body, and it freaks out and holds on to the fat. I have no proof of this except noticing that every time I get really motivated, which usually means I simultaneously up the exercise substantially and lower the calories, I stall out. The last time it happened almost a year ago, I broke the month long stall by increasing down day calories. This time I haven't broken the plateau yet after two months (although a couple weeks ago I started a 20% daily calorie cut as a temporary break from JUDDD because for the first time in 1.5 years it got stressful for me ... another reason for my wonderings).

What I've been reading is that weight lifting and high intensity intervals seem to be helpful for maintaining muscle and burning fat, but extended cardio might not be as helpful. I feel reading that because, like you, I enjoy the cardio now - it feels great and like such an accomplishment, especially seeing your strength and stamina improve, and it has so many other benefits.

One way you could get your intensity fix is to try HIIT ... switch the jogging to brisk walking, and throw some 20-30 second, all-out sprints in there.

I'm trying to limit exercise this week to just weights, walking, and short HIIT sessions, just to see if it makes a difference.

If you (and I) stop exercising altogether, we will lose faster on the scale but how much of that is fat and how much is lean body mass? And yet I DO want to lose fat. Let's figure this out together, JB!
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:10 AM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
When I started working out really in an "all out" fashion I was in maintenance, but I think it was getting stressful on my body and I eased up a bit and dropped 3-4 pounds in about 10 days of dialing down the exercise. I don't know- may have happened anyway, but the exercise may have been too stressful.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:30 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammyann
Stats: 162/140.5/maintain 135-139
Start Date: March 2012 re-start Dec. 2012
I also find I don't lose weight if I'm exercising with any intensity. I walk and ride my bike, but at a leisurely pace, and am losing weight. If I start lifting weights, jogging, or doing exercise tapes I gain.
Sammyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:41 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

I love hearing from all of you! Thank you for your support!!! It helps so much!

ilahstrait - congrats! That's AWESOME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post
Lc-Chica, are you my twin sister?

I am having the exact same issue. And I've seen it with other exercising JUDDDers over the last 20 months that I've been here (some of them are not here any more). I am starting to wonder if exercise -- at least some kinds of exercise or at a certain intensity -- plus JUDDD can sometimes stress out the body, and it freaks out and holds on to the fat. I have no proof of this except noticing that every time I get really motivated, which usually means I simultaneously up the exercise substantially and lower the calories, I stall out. The last time it happened almost a year ago, I broke the month long stall by increasing down day calories. This time I haven't broken the plateau yet after two months (although a couple weeks ago I started a 20% daily calorie cut as a temporary break from JUDDD because for the first time in 1.5 years it got stressful for me ... another reason for my wonderings).

What I've been reading is that weight lifting and high intensity intervals seem to be helpful for maintaining muscle and burning fat, but extended cardio might not be as helpful. I feel reading that because, like you, I enjoy the cardio now - it feels great and like such an accomplishment, especially seeing your strength and stamina improve, and it has so many other benefits.

One way you could get your intensity fix is to try HIIT ... switch the jogging to brisk walking, and throw some 20-30 second, all-out sprints in there.

I'm trying to limit exercise this week to just weights, walking, and short HIIT sessions, just to see if it makes a difference.

If you (and I) stop exercising altogether, we will lose faster on the scale but how much of that is fat and how much is lean body mass? And yet I DO want to lose fat. Let's figure this out together, JB!
Ya know, I was just googling yesterday and reading about HIIT (which I used to do) versus moderate cardio like walking. Yesterday at the gym, I tried to do a little HIIT on the elliptical and was able to keep track of my heart rate. BTW my heart rate goes REALLY high when I run or do the bike (I push myself), my resting heart rate is already pretty high (as noted by all of my doctors). I have no idea if that means anything with regards to not losing weight.

My brother is a body builder and trains people for competitions (diet and exercise). While I don't eat as strictly as he suggests for competitions (no thanks), I was working out with him, cardio with him, etc. At first, he told me he thought I'd lose 5 pounds in the first 2 weeks. I told him - Ok I'll give it my all, but "I never lose with exercise." I have pretty much proved that. Have any of you read Gary Taubes' books? He claims STRONGLY that exercise does not make you lose weight. LOL. However, part of his claim is that exercise makes you hungrier, and it really cuts my appetite, which is why exercise is super helpful for me on DD's. My brother insists I look better though. But still, ... there are people I know who work out for a week, don't change what they eat, and lose weight so easily. Not fair (just saying). FWIW, my brother had me doing sprints, however it was 30 second sprints followed by 45 sec-1 min pause (not walking, just stopped) etc. So that's a little different. My brother moved away so I don't work with him anymore.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:43 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
When I started working out really in an "all out" fashion I was in maintenance, but I think it was getting stressful on my body and I eased up a bit and dropped 3-4 pounds in about 10 days of dialing down the exercise. I don't know- may have happened anyway, but the exercise may have been too stressful.
I can *almost* guarantee that if I stop exercising for a week or two, I will drop weight (on the scale). It has happened to me before, I always get burnt out when I don't see progress. This time, for some crazy reason, I WANT to stick with it.

I was exercising 6-7 days a week and the past 2 months, have narrowed it down to 4-5 days a week. I was thinking yesterday maybe cutting it to 3 days a week and doing yoga and pilates on my off days. I really need to stretch MORE, so I bought a yoga dvd the other day.

Thank you for your input!!!
Old 03-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammyann View Post
I also find I don't lose weight if I'm exercising with any intensity. I walk and ride my bike, but at a leisurely pace, and am losing weight. If I start lifting weights, jogging, or doing exercise tapes I gain.
That is what I'm thinking I may have to do. I don't want to, but may have to. I am thinking maybe running 1 day a week (now that I'm actually running and enjoying it, I don't want to stop.. I have never been a runner! and really pushed through the hard spots this time). And then walking or mild bike/elliptical the other days.

I have heard about lsvibe protein shakes, have any of you heard of them? They are expensive but one of the people I follow on instagram lost weight once she started using it vs other protein shakes. Btw she works out and is pretty muscular. She was having a hard time losing.

I am trying to smile through this all! Yesterday I really figured out how long I have been working out... 4-1/2 months, which is almost 5 months... which is so close to 6 months... 6 months and no weight lost? Eeeeeeek! (I will admit, I look a little better, and if I wasn't working out all that time, I probably would've gained before I started back up with Juddd).

Last edited by lc-chica; 03-21-2014 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: added
Old 03-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
There are a few threads floating around right now discussing exercise and weight loss in more detail. I'll see if I can find them, or maybe someone else can, and link them. They might be helpful. I'm specifically thinking of Christina's thread on weight loss resistance and there was one more as well...getting old is tough, I have no more memory...
I think I was reading the one on weight loss resistance yesterday. I remember reading the other one about exercise months ago, but couldn't find it yesterday. I will keep searching. Thanks!!
Old 03-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Well We all have our ideas of what helps and what dont so i thought i would just jump in with what i have found with my body..
While Keeping a strict JUDDD format and adding weights and cardio i gained and kept 4 pounds and was unable to lose more.. I had stopped JUDDD over a year ago and did maintance.. I decided it wa time to take serious note of a new number ive always wanted to see on the scale no matter what.. I WANT 155 Period! So Started JUDDD 3-11 this year and still work out 3-4 days a week and i now see the scale dropping.. Slowly but still dropping.. What i did differnt this time is i eat more on my UD days ( thats the days i do my work outs) And on my DD i do not over tax my body any more than it already is.. See my DD have always been just Water and coffee for the full day. So i have found that if i Work out on a day that is already sooo far into a decifit i made it wortse and body would rebel and hold weight.. Also when i do work out on my EATING UDs. I eat back the calories i burn.. so IE.. if my UD with out a working out was say 1800 and i worked out 400 or so calories( Really hard to tell what you really burn off) so i do guestimate alot..on that day i refeed what i burned so new cal was 2200 now for that day.. I cant only share with you what i found to work for my body and no one else.. But i have found that it seams that there are "types" of bodys if you will that JUDDD .. A typed that can eat sugar and cake and just the caloires are what make it work,, or the type like my self that can only eat clean to make it work even counting caloires.. and yet other types of bodys that NEVER bounce up after an UD.. I am not one of those either So all i am really trying to say is this.. JUDDD is a tool to help you but,, you must find the right way for YOUR body to work WITh JUDDD.. Best of luck on your continued journey to finding how it can work for you ! ~
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Quote:
Ya know, I was just googling yesterday and reading about HIIT (which I used to do) versus moderate cardio like walking. Yesterday at the gym, I tried to do a little HIIT on the elliptical and was able to keep track of my heart rate. BTW my heart rate goes REALLY high when I run or do the bike (I push myself), my resting heart rate is already pretty high (as noted by all of my doctors). I have no idea if that means anything with regards to not losing weight.

My brother is a body builder and trains people for competitions (diet and exercise). While I don't eat as strictly as he suggests for competitions (no thanks), I was working out with him, cardio with him, etc. At first, he told me he thought I'd lose 5 pounds in the first 2 weeks. I told him - Ok I'll give it my all, but "I never lose with exercise." I have pretty much proved that. Have any of you read Gary Taubes' books? He claims STRONGLY that exercise does not make you lose weight. LOL. However, part of his claim is that exercise makes you hungrier, and it really cuts my appetite, which is why exercise is super helpful for me on DD's. My brother insists I look better though. But still, ... there are people I know who work out for a week, don't change what they eat, and lose weight so easily. Not fair (just saying). FWIW, my brother had me doing sprints, however it was 30 second sprints followed by 45 sec-1 min pause (not walking, just stopped) etc. So that's a little different. My brother moved away so I don't work with him anymore.
We've determined that Chris and I are very similar (or was that just in my head? ) so welcome to our triplet-some

I agree with some of the research that's coming out, like Taubes, and the Drs. Eades, who say that exercise FOR weight loss is not the way to go.

I also *think* I stall, but I hope not... if I don't get some movement soon on the scale, I'm going to scale back-- maybe go to yoga or something else that is less cardio.

On the other hand, I also *like* pushing myself in some ways-- and I'm noticing "non scale" benefits-- like going from the basement to the 2nd floor with laundry is not a life altering event anymore

or just the 1 set of stairs doesn't have me huffing and puffing.

I went all last year without a shred of exercise, and I didn't lose. I've had the rower for what, a month now? (I checked-- it's 1 month tomorrow, 2/22 is the anniversary date)

Here's my loss in that time:
2/24- 264.4
2/26 - 262.6
2/28 - 261.4
3/7 - 261.0
3/8- 260.8
same same same
3/12 - 260.8
3/14 - 259.4
3/18 - 260.4 bounce

3/20 - 259.4

so, 5 lbs? 1 per week? I'd love 2 per week, but if I can keep up 1lb down per week, I'll truly be happy to have lost around 50lbs at the end of the year. Even 40 (she says, knowing a cruise is coming up...)

I think measuring and keeping good records is key.

That said-- DH is home (early!) and is waiting for me in the basement-- he jogs, I row. the couple that exercises together.... ?

S.

I've lost a couple pounds

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
i don't have time to read all of these posts, BUT... please take your measurements. i'm prone to plateauing a LOT. during such times i've lost most of my inches! at least measure your trouble area. you will NOT regret it!
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:03 PM   #24
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I'll join in and stake my claim to being a "quadruplet" with you guys. I stalled (and gained) when my exercise got more intense. But I seriously don't want to give it up. What I should say is I wouldn't at all mind giving the "doing it" up, but I don't want to give up my newfound firm muscles and increased strength and stamina.

Hmpf! So what now?
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:27 PM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I'll join in and stake my claim to being a "quadruplet" with you guys. I stalled (and gained) when my exercise got more intense. But I seriously don't want to give it up. What I should say is I wouldn't at all mind giving the "doing it" up, but I don't want to give up my newfound firm muscles and increased strength and stamina.

Hmpf! So what now?
I know- it's crazy making. I'm more convinced then ever that for me, eating the exercise calories back is not a good plan, but I think I have to be a bit more balanced with my workout schedule.

I really like going to the gym and I like cardio- treadmill, elliptical or fast walking outside now that warmer weather should be approaching. I think I can walk daily, but when I add in HIIT on the treadmill or elliptical and do some weights I need planned rest. Not my day was so crazy I had no time, but actual rest.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:44 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenericstewart View Post
i don't have time to read all of these posts, BUT... please take your measurements. i'm prone to plateauing a LOT. during such times i've lost most of my inches! at least measure your trouble area. you will NOT regret it!
This is such a great point, because the scale is not always the best indicator of fat loss. Sadly I have the body fat test to prove that in my case I actually didn't lose fat, although I look and feel better! But yes, take measurements everyone!
Old 03-21-2014, 06:03 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
That is a very interesting observation, Carly. I can see how a combination of low calories and intense exercise could make the body think stressful things are happening and want to protect itself.

Quote:
It has happened to me before, I always get burnt out when I don't see progress. This time, for some crazy reason, I WANT to stick with it.
I agree, and it seems like several other JBs do too. It's pretty great, actually, that several of us have found the changes from exercise so rewarding we don't want to give them up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
While Keeping a strict JUDDD format and adding weights and cardio i gained and kept 4 pounds and was unable to lose more. [snip]
What i did differnt this time is i eat more on my UD days ( thats the days i do my work outs) And on my DD i do not over tax my body any more than it already is.. [snip] JUDDD is a tool to help you but,, you must find the right way for YOUR body to work WITh JUDDD.
Thank you for this, Kimberley! So you don't workout on DDs, and on UDs you add back exercise cals burned, and it is working? I agree we all have to find our own personal sweet spot (and it can change!) but I always appreciate hearing things that made a difference for somebody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
We've determined that Chris and I are very similar (or was that just in my head? ) so welcome to our triplet-some
No, it's not just in your head! I remember talking about exercise and muscle in the past. It's great to compare experiences with others. You are doing great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post

Hmpf! So what now?
Yep! I don't know ... experiment? try limiting vigorous exercising to up days only?

Great discussion everyone. Maybe we can figure something out together.

Last edited by calichris; 03-21-2014 at 06:04 PM..
Old 03-21-2014, 09:50 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DrwhoTardisRose
Stats: Start/168/current/133/goal/120
Start Date: January 1, 2014
I'm no expert but, I remember reading on Dr. Berg site that if your having thyroid issues that doing a lot of cardio is going to have the opposite effect:/ you might just stick with weights and walking good luck and hugs your way
DrwhoTardisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:41 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
There was an extensive discussion of exercise somehow concealing weight losses: 'Kcals, Exercise and Starvation Mode'. I don't understand why this happens, I just know that it's a frequent enough phenomenon that there is something happening that we don't understand on a physiological level.

I do think that the CV and other aspects of exercise (such as mental health) are invaluable. I do think it has some foul mind-game going on with EVIL SCALES as Melinda/Flutter would express the matter. I'm about to go kayaking so I'll dig up the link later but I saw a superb photo series of a woman who'd lost 8 lbs over several months (so, still 200+lbs) but the difference in her outline with the lifting she'd done was remarkable.

I don't know if it's predominantly cardio that plays the EVIL SCALEs game.

I am, predictably, going to issue a word of caution. When I had my DXA, I heard a story about a chap who'd recently had a repeat DXA because he'd changed to a very low carb, high intensity exercise lifestyle (from nothing - he'd had a health scare) and was delighted that he'd shed 8kgs (17.6lbs). Unfortunately, 5 of those 8kgs were from his LBM/skeletal muscle. Now, I'm fairly sure some of that was just water and glycogen so it's not quite as awful as it sounds, but, it looks like he had catabolised some of his muscle in order to fuel his workouts.

Severe kcal deficit and very intense workouts seem to be a disastrous combination for some people.

NB: I can't link the photo but if you search for this text the article should be findable:
Blogpost name: Sandi - still shrinking...despite the scale not moving
Quote:
Yes, it is hard when I occasionally weigh in and don’t see progress, but that is when I just need to pull out my phone and look at all of the progress pictures to see that my hard work is paying off. Keep eating and your body will transform. I am constantly amazed at what my approaching 40 year old body can do.
The photographs are the final 3 that are side by side.

Nov 2014 A DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.

Last edited by SlowSure; 03-22-2014 at 02:48 AM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Thanks Slow! I think I've seen that one, or something similar... muscles and definition while weight stayed same or went UP.

I'm going to do this:

1) move workouts to my UDs. I'm happy I can workout on a DD, b/c I remember my first DD ever, and walking with the cart at the grocery store made me DIZZY
So from that, to my under-5-minute-1000m-on-a-DD row yesterday... yay me!

2) I don't eat my calories back. Only b/c I'm not extra hungry b/c of the workout. If I get weird "hungry" attacks, its usually hormonal. So for now, I'm going to not eat the calories back

3) I'm going about 50 cals over my official DD number. I will try to hit that, just that small change, and see what's up.

Hopefully these are small enough tweaks (slightly lower DD, workout on UD) that I can track them and compare to the past month.

Oh! I'll do it for a month, starting today (well, next UD-- I'm sore from yesterday) and track weight and stuff in the EOD weight thread.

and I will take-- gulp-- some new measurements.

thanks for the great brainstorming folks!

S.
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote