Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MSN08
Stats: sizes 18/6 calling goal!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2012
Metformin and JUDDD

I really need to lower my insulin levels because just lowcarb and JUDDD was not working. I started Metformin and my Dr. already did not agree with fasting of any kind so he definitely said no to JUDDD and Metformin but I am wondering if as long as my DD meal consist of some good carbs I can just take my metformin with that meal and be okay. I really don't want to give up JUDDD!
MSN08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
I take Metformin every day, twice a day. Never had a problem with fasting while taking it. The only pill that fasting didn't agree with (for me) was Iron or any multi that contained Iron.

A lot of people when they first begin Metformin have upset stomach, loose stools, even diarrhea. But that has little to do with what you eat, it's just getting used to the pills. If you haven't already experienced that, you aren't likely to (I never did).

I wouldn't give up JUDDD if I were you, just because you're taking Metformin!
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:50 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you so much! I am only on day 1 so no side effects yet. I am excited now
Old 03-19-2014, 11:42 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

See you how feel today. Did your doctor tell you why he was against you fasting on Metformin? Is it just that he's against fasting in general?

I've gotten very used to not telling doctors the whole truth. When they ask how I'm losing weight, I simply say calorie restriction. It's easier than having to explain to them things they simply won't believe.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:44 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cprcheetah
Stats: 224.6/170/130
WOE: Lean For Life/Low Cal
Start Date: LFL 3/4/2014
Wow, lucky. I am on Metformin and if I don't eat huge meals (okay not huge) but I can't just have like 1 protein or I will end up puking. I wish I could eat smaller meals. I do protein days and on those days I just don't take it cause I can't eat enough without getting sick. I'm on it for PCOS not diabetes that's why I can get away with not taking it on protein days.
cprcheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:32 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee View Post
See you how feel today. Did your doctor tell you why he was against you fasting on Metformin? Is it just that he's against fasting in general?

I've gotten very used to not telling doctors the whole truth. When they ask how I'm losing weight, I simply say calorie restriction. It's easier than having to explain to them things they simply won't believe.
Yes, he believes fasting is harmful for someone with insulin resistance and that eating every 2-3 hours is best. I believe in the health benefits of JUDDD so I am I have a lowcarb UD going today and then tomorrow I will try a DD and see how it goes!
Old 03-19-2014, 12:39 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

There are a few of us diabetics around here, who have successfully JUDDDed and found improvements in our insulin resistance. My A1C got down to a 4.8 the last time I did JUDDD. Not saying it will work for everyone, and if you're prone to hypos I can see why the 2-3 hour eating thing would be important, but I very much believe fasting can be beneficial to people with IR.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:04 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
There are a few of us diabetics around here, who have successfully JUDDDed and found improvements in our insulin resistance. My A1C got down to a 4.8 the last time I did JUDDD. Not saying it will work for everyone, and if you're prone to hypos I can see why the 2-3 hour eating thing would be important, but I very much believe fasting can be beneficial to people with IR.
My a1c yesterday was 4.9 so my blood sugar is okay but its my high insulin levels that are the concern so I hope it calms it down enough that I can just eat healthy and exercise to manage it.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:01 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN08 View Post
My a1c yesterday was 4.9 so my blood sugar is okay but its my high insulin levels that are the concern so I hope it calms it down enough that I can just eat healthy and exercise to manage it.
How do they measure high insulin levels, does it mean you're hypoglycemic? I'm afraid I don't know much about hypoglycemia. But if you've already been fasting and had no issues that probably means you're fine with it!
Old 03-19-2014, 03:20 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
How do they measure high insulin levels, does it mean you're hypoglycemic? I'm afraid I don't know much about hypoglycemia. But if you've already been fasting and had no issues that probably means you're fine with it!
They test fasting insulin levels before the insulin resistance test and mine is four times higher than it should be. It means that I over produce insulin and that leads to rapid highs then lows my blood sugar peaks and then drops too low all within the first fifteen minutes after eating. Horrible rollercoaster. I figured out the foods to eat to avoid the rapid swings and rarely had hypoglycemia on DD but ud just the thought of eating was causing the insulin surge as my Dr explained it so really need to lower my insulin levels and I'll be doing well.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

That sounds pretty horrible! I have insulin resistance, but I guess since I failed the GTT they skipped over discussing this part and just focused on keeping my bg down.

I think hypo's are really scary, so if your doctor was concerned about fasting because of that, it seems valid.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:43 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Carly took metformin while JUDDDing, and is now off it thanks to JUDDD. Hopefully she will chime in. If not, consider PMing her. There are several type 2 diabetics here that have improved their numbers through JUDDD.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:56 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Carly took metformin while JUDDDing, and is now off it thanks to JUDDD. Hopefully she will chime in. If not, consider PMing her. There are several type 2 diabetics here that have improved their numbers through JUDDD.
I was on Byetta injections twice per day for type II diabetes. After a couple months I was off medication and am now no longer considered diabetic. It has been over 18 mos since I have taken medication and my A1c whent from 9.8 to below 5.9.

I have not had a a1c recently, but it was well within the normal ange the last time I had it, but don't recall the number.

I had no problem fasting with the Byetta injection and when I took metformin years ago I skipped meals all the time. I guess it's a YMMV kind of thing. I have PCOS, too, so really a double whammy. I love JUDDD!!!

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

That is fantastic, thank you for sharing Carly. I have the flu right now so I am assuming its because I am sick that my blood sugar is staying high and not that metformin is making it higher but I am doing JUDDD rotations without any trouble so far and hope to one day be able to control it with just JUDDD.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:11 PM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
not on JUDDD but i take metformin 3 times a day and did on my hcg rounds and did just fine HTH
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote