Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 09:11 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Weight Loss Resistance

Sharing some reading!

According to this research here (and other studies), after being in a caloric deficit for awhile, your body burns fewer calories than would be predicted from just the fact that you are now carrying around less weight.

The really unfair part of this is, all other things being equal, someone who diets down to 130 (for example) has to eat fewer calories to maintain at 130 than someone who was always at 130. (however ... I think you could still try to add muscle and/or reverse diet to increase your metabolic rate once you get there).

According to another article called "HOW TO MAINTAIN WEIGHT LOSS & BEAT WEIGHT LOSS RESISTANCE" (I probably can't link to this one), there's a little more bad news (but followed by better news, I promise ):
Quote:
A person decides to follow a low calorie diet. They determine that their resting metabolic rate is 2000 calories per day. They decide, according to conventional wisdom, to reduce their daily calorie intake by 500 calories per day. Now they are consuming 1500 calories per day. They remain compliant and in a few weeks have lost a few pounds.

But, the metabolism compensates. This person starts feeling hungry all the time. Their energy begins to suffer, and they feel cravings for sweet, salty, and fatty foods. This makes it harder for them to comply. But worse than that, depending on their individual response to the law of metabolic compensation, their metabolism has now put on the brakes, slowing their daily calorie burn rate by between 200 and 800 calories per day.

Now let’s say they are one of those people that has a very large metabolic compensation. So large that it equals or exceeds the 500 calorie deficit they were following. At this point not only will all progress stall, but the person may even start gaining weight.
OK, so according to this guy, who is a clinician who deals with weight loss and obesity, here's what you can do about it! I don't know if he has all the answers or not, but here's what he suggests:
  • Maintain/increase lean body mass
  • Eat protein (this article recommended 40% of total calories)
  • Eating a lower glycemic diet
  • Cycle the diet with intermittent calorie and carb restriction (see study - some participants ate approx 600 cals 2x week ... good news for JUDDD)
  • If you think you are weight loss resistant, do not eat less, exercise more (too stressful on the body). Instead,
    "alternate an eat less, exercise less approach with an eat more, exercise more approach. Spend time in an eat less and exercise less (4 to 10 days) cycle, and then spend time eating more and exercising more (4 to 10 days). This back and forth approach pretty much stops metabolic compensation in its tracks."
  • Krill oil at 1-3g per day, or regular fish oil at 6g-12g per day for leptin sensitivity.
  • A short period of overeating of between 1 and 3 days. This technique raises leptin levels and has also been shown to substantially raise a depressed metabolic rate.

That last one sounds fun ... and is at least a plus side of a UUAD.

Last edited by calichris; 03-17-2014 at 09:15 PM..
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2014, 09:17 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Okay, Christina, this is BRILLIANT!!! Thank you!!! One of my questions was going to be - if we calorie/exercise cycle - what timeframe? Looks like 4-10 days. So we could do a week of low exercise, low calorie and then next week higher intensity/higher calorie? I wonder if, for someone with my plans, I could do a lower cal/high protein week with weight lifting and then up the cals/carbs and do more running? Its a bit tricky as I don't want lose my base but could do 1-2 miles everyother day in my low cal week? I'm at a point where 1-2 miles at a slower pace (~11:00min/mile) really isn't taxing and doesn't really get my heart rate up so that might be a way to split the difference?
I will have to think more.
Oh, and I tracked my protein intake today. Even with a semi-conscious effort to eat more protein, I pretty much failed. I got 80g in, and I need to hit at least 100-115 to meet the 0.7g/# body weight. And I was at around 1500 calories so clearly I need to focus more on lower cal, protein rich foods.
Costco has some protein shakes that are 30g protein and 160 cals. I see a Costco trip in my future. Thats better than I can do with any of the powders I've looked in to.
Although I don't want to go low carb, I'm wondering if I'll end up carb cycling too just to hit my protein goals but stay reasonably close in calories.
AAAHHH!!!

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:46 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Since shedding my weight the other way (unremitting adherence to the plan/schedule with no off-plan days) I have come round to the opinion that cycling the diet is more rational and may help to reduce the metabolic adaptation.

The sole difficulty lies in convincing oneself of the rationality of that when all one (understandably) wants to see is the fat loss. Yet, I'm increasingly sure that until there's decent research that indicates otherwise, this is the sanest and probably effective method for most people (in the absence of contraindications).

NB: my specific personal difficulty lies in reconciling this with the migraine management as that depends upon specific macros and UUADs/re-feed days don't readily fit into that.

Sept 2014 A recent DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.

Last edited by SlowSure; 03-18-2014 at 12:48 AM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:24 AM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I know that to maintain my weight I am eating fewer calories than someone who has never had a weight problem. HOWEVER, one reason I spent a lifetime as morbidly obese was my 'flawed' metabolism. Not only am I super-sensitive to carbs (suggesting that I secrete too much insulin), but my endo suspects that I've always had a 'genetically slow metabolism.' In other words, even when I was obese, I probably wasn't eating less than someone a similar size. Now that I'm officially hypothyroid (and post-menopausal) that metabolism is even slower.

But the 'good news' in all this is that despite my very low caloric intake (I need to average about 1,100 cal day to maintain), my body doesn't really want more. I'm never hungry--except in my 'head.' That is, any desire for more food is totally psychological, not physical at all.

So I don't think anyone should be deterred by thinking about how they may have to eat when they get to goal. What you may imagine as very little food now may be totally satisfying when you are at goal. AND being here is its own reward
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:15 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Leo, do you think that your lack of hunger could also be psychological, or could it be a result of aging? I know that as people age, especially past the 60s, appetite decreases and they need less food.

I am finding this information fascinating, Chris. The only trouble is, I have to have it spelled out for me. I wonder what an example of eating/exercise in this fashion would be exactly. For instance, how low of calories on the alternate weeks and how to determine it? How high on the off-set weeks? What types of exercise are most effective, especially for a person who's been more or less sedentary? Anyway, it's all interesting and worth experimenting I think.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:15 AM   #6
Senior LCF member

No, Librarygirl, I don't think my lack of hunger is due to aging. It's basically that I've learned to distinguish between physical hunger and 'head' hunger--and that's something I attribute to doing JUDDD.

When I realized that I had to limit calories as well as carbs to lose, I really struggled for a long time because I'd never considered the issue of 'head' hunger--i.e., the desire to eat from just love of food and the habit of eating. Once I began seriously limiting myself on DDs, I recognized what true physical hunger actually felt like--and realized how much of my eating was based on 'head' hunger.

I still experience that 'head' hunger now, but I've learned to identify it--and ignore it.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:05 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladybarometer
Stats: 219/188/160
WOE: Low Carb (Less than 30 total a day)
Start Date: Always Ongoing it seems
Quote:
If you think you are weight loss resistant, do not eat less, exercise more (too stressful on the body). Instead,
"alternate an eat less, exercise less approach with an eat more, exercise more approach. Spend time in an eat less and exercise less (4 to 10 days) cycle, and then spend time eating more and exercising more (4 to 10 days). This back and forth approach pretty much stops metabolic compensation in its tracks."
This is my overall goal. Once I started JUDDD I stopped my intense workouts, but I'm slowly getting back to it, and hope to be full speed once the move is over next week.

Great post!
ladybarometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:13 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Fascinating information Chris, thank you for posting it. Some of these things we've seen happen by experience, for example "A short period of overeating of between 1 and 3 days. This technique raises leptin levels and has also been shown to substantially raise a depressed metabolic rate." But I'd never heard of the exercise cycling, and I am going to keep it in mind when I eventually start working out again.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:39 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Just marking my spot. Yennie, one of the best lower calorie sources of protein I've found (that doesn't require special trips to special stores) is NF Greek yogurt. I use Dannon Oikos and it's 120 calories for a cup with 22 grams of protein. A couple of drops of ez-sweetz or some Mio and it's good to go.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MillyBee
Stats: No scale ATM
WOE: juddd
Start Date: March 3,2014
thank you!

That is so interesting.

I find the JUDDD plan more of a natural way to eat, I can see how the alternating excersize and rest alongside alternating heavier calorie intake in the more peak excersize weeks is a natural rythm.

I bet it works!
MillyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
Start Date: 2/16/2013
There are times when I think my body just cannot drop pounds. I'll feel frustrated that I'm stalled, but then I'll see people who point out that I've lost weight since I last saw them or my clothes won't fit and I'll think, "Ok what am I missing?"

I have noticed that when I take a break for even a few days the weight loss starts to pick up again. Everyone is just different and sooner or later we'll all get to goal. It's just going to take a little longer.
LiLi914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
This is great stuff, Chris! Thank you!

It's so doable and makes sense.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:18 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Planelman
Stats: 350.1/206.4/190(10%BF) 6' 44
WOE: Leangains/Carb Backloading
Start Date: 7/14/2011
I've been calorie cycling with my exercise for a while, since getting into Nutritional Ketosis and trying to specifically drop body fat and increase muscle mass at the same time without specifically trying to lose weight. Eating more on workout days, with the bulk of my calories coming post workout and eating less on rest days, doing this every other day doing a recomp protocol. I've been keeping the average calories just about at the maintain level, maybe a slight overall deficit. For me personally, with my activity level this comes out to about 2000 calories on a rest day and 3000 on a workout day. Almost all workouts are weight lifting, as heavy a working weight as I can manage for 4 sets of 10-12 of each exercise, for about 60 minutes each workout and at every opportunity I can I increase the weights. I don't really do cardio, except maybe a session of sprints once in a long while, or a 5-7 mile walk, keeping the heart rate at about 70% of max. I personally believe that long intense cardio will promote fat storage and sacrifice muscle mass, but I have no proof of that, but I've leaned out more with this approach than while doing any amount of running.

To implement this for weight loss, you can do the same, just target a reasonable deficit for both rest days and workout days and plan an occasional excess calorie day to reset. Since you would be calorie cycling with exercise every other day this might mean an excess calorie day every 7 - 21 days.

I've posted about this previously too, and it is very like JUDDD, if you are working out every other day and are realistic about deficits and activity levels. It might mean higher average calories, a higher DD and UD and a slower loss, but I think the end result will be more what you were originally aiming for, so in the long run I think the overall journey would actually be shorter. And your metabolism at the end should be able to handle a normal calorie amount that should maintain your final weight.

159.3 Pounds lost since 7/14/2011

Low Calorie: 7/14/2011 - 80lbs lost
Primal: 4/20/2012 - 55.3lbs lost
JUDDD: 4/10/2013 - 23.4lbs lost
Nutritional Ketosis 9/1/2013 - 15.4% BF
Planelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Very interesting information, Christina! I need to read more about all this and really wrap my mind around it and figure out how I could work some of this in. I'm already doing some of the items, which makes me feel like I'm somewhat on the right track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I know that to maintain my weight I am eating fewer calories than someone who has never had a weight problem. HOWEVER, one reason I spent a lifetime as morbidly obese was my 'flawed' metabolism. Not only am I super-sensitive to carbs (suggesting that I secrete too much insulin), but my endo suspects that I've always had a 'genetically slow metabolism.' In other words, even when I was obese, I probably wasn't eating less than someone a similar size. Now that I'm officially hypothyroid (and post-menopausal) that metabolism is even slower.

But the 'good news' in all this is that despite my very low caloric intake (I need to average about 1,100 cal day to maintain), my body doesn't really want more. I'm never hungry--except in my 'head.' That is, any desire for more food is totally psychological, not physical at all.

So I don't think anyone should be deterred by thinking about how they may have to eat when they get to goal. What you may imagine as very little food now may be totally satisfying when you are at goal. AND being here is its own reward
Quote:
No, Librarygirl, I don't think my lack of hunger is due to aging. It's basically that I've learned to distinguish between physical hunger and 'head' hunger--and that's something I attribute to doing JUDDD.

When I realized that I had to limit calories as well as carbs to lose, I really struggled for a long time because I'd never considered the issue of 'head' hunger--i.e., the desire to eat from just love of food and the habit of eating. Once I began seriously limiting myself on DDs, I recognized what true physical hunger actually felt like--and realized how much of my eating was based on 'head' hunger.

I still experience that 'head' hunger now, but I've learned to identify it--and ignore it.
Leo, I just wanted to tell you how much your posts inspire me. You realized that you have some pretty specific metabolic challenges and that if you wanted to lose weight, you would have to do some pretty specific things to get there. The way you do it with such calm and grace is awe inspiring. I'm humbled by you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planelman View Post
I've been calorie cycling with my exercise for a while, since getting into Nutritional Ketosis and trying to specifically drop body fat and increase muscle mass at the same time without specifically trying to lose weight. Eating more on workout days, with the bulk of my calories coming post workout and eating less on rest days, doing this every other day doing a recomp protocol. I've been keeping the average calories just about at the maintain level, maybe a slight overall deficit. For me personally, with my activity level this comes out to about 2000 calories on a rest day and 3000 on a workout day. Almost all workouts are weight lifting, as heavy a working weight as I can manage for 4 sets of 10-12 of each exercise, for about 60 minutes each workout and at every opportunity I can I increase the weights. I don't really do cardio, except maybe a session of sprints once in a long while, or a 5-7 mile walk, keeping the heart rate at about 70% of max. I personally believe that long intense cardio will promote fat storage and sacrifice muscle mass, but I have no proof of that, but I've leaned out more with this approach than while doing any amount of running.

To implement this for weight loss, you can do the same, just target a reasonable deficit for both rest days and workout days and plan an occasional excess calorie day to reset. Since you would be calorie cycling with exercise every other day this might mean an excess calorie day every 7 - 21 days.

I've posted about this previously too, and it is very like JUDDD, if you are working out every other day and are realistic about deficits and activity levels. It might mean higher average calories, a higher DD and UD and a slower loss, but I think the end result will be more what you were originally aiming for, so in the long run I think the overall journey would actually be shorter. And your metabolism at the end should be able to handle a normal calorie amount that should maintain your final weight.
I'm always so interested in your posts, Mike, because what you're doing makes sense to me. Sometimes I toy with the idea of NK, and maybe some day I'll dive in and do it. I also like that you're doing mainly weight lifting and not worrying about a lot of cardio. I'm really coming to believe that that is the way, and have given up long bouts of cardio for their own sake. Keep posting, because I'll be reading and learning!

I love your comment about overall the journey being actually shorter doing the slower week to week losses, but also perhaps short circuiting the slowing metabolism and stalls that accompany it. Very good way to express that.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:08 PM   #15
Senior LCF member

Carol-
Thank you for your kind words, but perhaps 'wisdom' comes with age because it took me until my late 60s to lose all my weight after a lifetime of morbid obesity. I don't regret anything, however, because I'm too busy enjoying my 'new life.' (I still have trouble processing the fact that I am no longer 'a fat woman.')
Old 03-18-2014, 03:23 PM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Leo, you've shown that it can be done at any age, and like Carol said, with aplomb. I did not mean to be disrespectful by suggesting that you didn't know your own body, which is how it came across. I also have come to realize that I can eat far less than I once thought, but still struggle to not go over on UDs.

You have been successful, so that speaks for itself.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:37 AM   #17
Senior LCF member

Cindy-
You didn't come across as disrespectful at all! You simply asked a really good question. It's true about the appetites of older people. I had two uncles who lived into their late 90s, and my sister and I were always so shocked at how little they ate in their later years. I'm hoping that lack of appetite will kick in soon for me, but so far, it hasn't

About UDs--one of the reasons I always managed them is that I wasn't a JUDDD purist. I came to this plan as a way to manage my calories, so my 'mindset' was never that UDs were 'free' in any way. Mine were set at 1400 cal, and I counted carefully. I need to eat low carb, and I was never inclined to add any treats or anything. After all, 1400 cal adds up pretty quickly--and, yes, I have to count. However, after 400 cal DDs, 1400 feels like a feast, so I never felt deprived at all. IMO, viewing UDs as 'free' doesn't work for anyone like me with serious weight issues. If I were capable of eating 'normally,' I would never have been 300+lbs.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:36 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Great posts everyone thank you Chris for starting all of this.
Seabreezes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:34 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Okay, Christina, this is BRILLIANT!!! Thank you!!! One of my questions was going to be - if we calorie/exercise cycle - what timeframe? Looks like 4-10 days. So we could do a week of low exercise, low calorie and then next week higher intensity/higher calorie? I wonder if, for someone with my plans, I could do a lower cal/high protein week with weight lifting and then up the cals/carbs and do more running?
Yennie, this might be the answer to your training! Not sure how it fits with JUDDD, but I hope it helps. Also - getting in all the protein isn't easy! I've been working it up and pretty successful this week, but I really had to plan it ahead because it isn't my natural choice. Thanks for the tip about the Costco shakes! I second Dawn's Greek yogurt nomination, too. Lots of great, high protein, low cal choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Since shedding my weight the other way (unremitting adherence to the plan/schedule with no off-plan days) I have come round to the opinion that cycling the diet is more rational and may help to reduce the metabolic adaptation.
If you could go back (and migraines weren't an issue) how would you cycle? Just picking your wise brain for ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I wonder what an example of eating/exercise in this fashion would be exactly. For instance, how low of calories on the alternate weeks and how to determine it? How high on the off-set weeks? What types of exercise are most effective, especially for a person who's been more or less sedentary? Anyway, it's all interesting and worth experimenting I think.
Yeah, that's the question, isn't it? Does he mean to eat at maintenance calories when you exercise more? And what kind of exercise? I don't burn hardly any calories when I weight lift (not like Mike!), but I do it for the lean body mass. (Also, it's made a huge difference in appearance even though no fat has been lost!). The recommendations I've been reading include resistance training (heavier weights for fewer repetitions), and HIIT, so in a moderate workout like walking, stationary bike, or swimming, put 30 second bursts of as hard as you can go, then recover. You only have to do a few bursts to get great benefits according to Michael Mosely. And you only have to do it for a few minutes at a time! (I do 20)

Quote:
That's a good point Leo ... if you are eating your maintenance calories, then your physical hunger should be satisfied with that! And definitely there are some metabolic issues that we don't have control over. The ones we can improve are worth worth trying, I think, but some things we can't control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLi914 View Post
There are times when I think my body just cannot drop pounds.
Yep! I agree! I don't mind taking longer as long as I am sure I'm getting somewhere. I've come a long way, but 7 months is a looooooooong time to not see new low. There's some benefits to slower loss though, for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planelman View Post
Your plan is so interesting, Mike! You've clearly put together a strategy that's smart and working for you. So, my BMR is about 1610, and my best calculation of my TDEE (using the heybales calculator ... it's fancy, have you seen it?) is conservatively 2050 but can be 2200 on a high exercise week. So what would you suggest as a reasonable deficit for rest days and workout days? Although if I don't do aerobics classes, my workouts don't burn many calories ... but I guess the higher cals on workout day are good for muscle?

Last edited by calichris; 03-20-2014 at 11:40 PM..
Old 03-21-2014, 04:47 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Thanks for the thread. Leo, many, many thanks for your input.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:04 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post
Your plan is so interesting, Mike! You've clearly put together a strategy that's smart and working for you. So, my BMR is about 1610, and my best calculation of my TDEE (using the heybales calculator ... it's fancy, have you seen it?) is conservatively 2050 but can be 2200 on a high exercise week. So what would you suggest as a reasonable deficit for rest days and workout days? Although if I don't do aerobics classes, my workouts don't burn many calories ... but I guess the higher cals on workout day are good for muscle?
That calculator is crazy, I could only find a spreadsheet version and it is a lot of work just putting in the data, so I didn't! Basically the 2 numbers you want are TDEE for a day without exercise, and TDEE for a day with exercise (if you have different levels of exercise take the average). On either day you would subtract the deficit % against either TDEE. You need to be realistic with the calorie estimates for exercise so that you are not overestimating, but also don't discount the work you do to much. I use a conservative 4 calories a minute for weight lifting and 5 for cardio, so in about an hour I only account for around 250-300 calories from exercise. At this point I won't eat below BMR, I've actually tried throwing in a 1,000 calorie day and it was very detrimental to my next day of exercise. I really don't like give specific numbers out for other people so I'll give my specifics.

My BMR 2,010 and I add the Thermic Effect of Food (TEF) of 200, which is essentially the calories your body uses to digest your food, for a total of 2210 BMR+TEF.

My non-exercise TDEE using sedentary is 2542 and my exercise TDEE is 2847.

So if I wanted a 20% deficit overall my rest day calories would be 2034 and my exercise day calories would be 2278. This would give me about a 500 calorie deficit on both days, which might lead to a 1lb loss each week.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:06 AM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

My BMR according to Mifflin is 1415 and TDEE 1697. Putting exercise 3x a week (not intense) gives me 1945 TDEE. So on non-exercise days with a deficit of 20%, I should eat 1358 and on exercise days, 1556? How would fasting figure in, and higher calorie days, or does doing it this way cancel that out entirely?
Old 03-21-2014, 06:27 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post

Costco has some protein shakes that are 30g protein and 160 cals. I see a Costco trip in my future. Thats better than I can do with any of the powders I've looked in to.
Although I don't want to go low carb, I'm wondering if I'll end up carb cycling too just to hit my protein goals but stay reasonably close in calories.
AAAHHH!!!
Yennie, did you get a chance to check out these shakes yet? I'm thinking it must be the Premier Protein brand. There aren't any reviews of them.
shirlc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:11 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
My BMR according to Mifflin is 1415 and TDEE 1697. Putting exercise 3x a week (not intense) gives me 1945 TDEE. So on non-exercise days with a deficit of 20%, I should eat 1358 and on exercise days, 1556? How would fasting figure in, and higher calorie days, or does doing it this way cancel that out entirely?
That is the hard part, do you use this information and incorporate it into JUDDD or switch your WOE? The basis of most of my comments was around calorie cycling around exercise and not necessarily doing JUDDD.

If you really wanted to still do JUDDD, based on your information, the calculator gives you 2027/405 for 1-3 days of light exercise at 20%. To end up with the same calories as above you could adjust this to be 2027/887 and time your exercise on the UD's and rest on your DD's, but you would essentially be working out 3 or 4 days a week so on the weeks you worked out 4 days your deficit would end up being slightly higher. At these numbers you would essentially be at around 42% on the JUDDD calculator for weight loss. Would this work? Maybe. Sticking to the exercise at a high enough intensity would be required or you would not really be at the deficit you calculated. If you are losing then stick with it, if not make slight adjustments and see how the results change based on the adjustment.

Here I go giving out specific numbers! I reserve the right to be completely wrong by the way!
Old 03-21-2014, 07:37 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Also I fast everyday and don't eat my first real food meal, I don't count BPC as a real food meal but count the calories, until after 2pm and I try to finish my last meal before 8pm.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:40 AM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks, Mike! I am askeered to do it that way, although I often do those numbers without exercising. The main thing I need to start is exercise, period. It's nice to have the actual numbers out there to play around with now.

As to eating later, I always do that on DDs, but prefer to have a late breakfast on most UDs and I have to eat lunch between 1-2 or skip it, because that is my lunch hour. We don't eat meals at our desks. Sometimes if I have gotten too many calories in the morning, I'll skip lunch on UDs. I'm at 285 right now and satisfied (for the moment).

Last edited by Librarygirl; 03-21-2014 at 07:44 AM..
Old 03-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This guy agrees with Mike!
12 lessons learned from 1 year of intermittent fasting

This guy does not do alternate day fasting, but eating windows. However, he does calorie and carb cycling based on if it is a workout day or not. Very like what Mike is doing. This could be easily adapted to JUDDD.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:54 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlc View Post
Yennie, did you get a chance to check out these shakes yet? I'm thinking it must be the Premier Protein brand. There aren't any reviews of them.
Yes it is the Premier Protein brand. I've had them before, my dad buys them and I often help myself to his stash Easy to do since we work together.

I prefer the chocolate but vanilla isn't bad. I could see adding fruit to the vanilla in a blender if one were inclined to the extra work.

I saw some at Winco the other day as well, but they were $6 for a 4 pack, so Costco is still the cheapest I've found.

I'm also heavily utilizing tilapia and greek yogurt for protein. Still haven't hit 100 grams in one day but I'm getting better. I'm sure I will be able to once I get the shakes, just no time for Costco yet. Been working too much this week.

Also, a note on the greek yogurt - they are not all created equal. I went to a grocer that didn't carry my usual brand so I got a different one. Not only did it taste like feet, but it only had 15g of protein per serving, but was still 130 calories. I was not pleased and I tossed the rest. Mostly tossed it because it tasted like feet but I was unmotivated to try to choke it down given the lower protein content. Felt bad wasting it but no one else would eat it either (see previous statement about feet )
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:13 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/131/120
WOE: Low-carb Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post
This guy agrees with Mike!
12 lessons learned from 1 year of intermittent fasting

This guy does not do alternate day fasting, but eating windows. However, he does calorie and carb cycling based on if it is a workout day or not. Very like what Mike is doing. This could be easily adapted to JUDDD.
This is almost exactly what I am already doing! I am sooo glad for this link. Thanks! I just re-posted it to Facebook.

nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:48 PM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!

I enjoyed the article too, now that I've actually read it lol. I like the fact too that he doesn't go crazy on the work outs. Seems very do-able for just about anyone.