Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Thanks for the link. That was a great post and certainly validates IF as a way to go.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2014, 07:04 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/134/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Yennie, thanks for the reply. I'm going to try the shakes.

On the yogurt, I'm having a hard time finding something I really like that's healthy...the stuff with sugar in it always appeals to me more.
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:49 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlc View Post
Yennie, thanks for the reply. I'm going to try the shakes.

On the yogurt, I'm having a hard time finding something I really like that's healthy...the stuff with sugar in it always appeals to me more.
So, won't lie - it took some getting used to in the plain yogurt department. I started eating plain yogurt back before the current greek yogurt phase so, for these purposes, I use plain/greek interchangeably.

First, for me, texture is everything. I prefer either the Costco (Kirkland) brand or Fage. I've never found another brand that I could tolerate. Old Home plain yogurt (not greek) is also good, but greek has more protein.

Then, I add about 1/3 cup frozen blueberries for 1 cup yogurt. It adds a touch to the calories (I think, like, 25 calories) but blueberries are good for you so I justify it that way. I let it sit for about 45 minutes for the berries to thaw. This releases some of the juices and I mix it all up, and eat it that way. Tastes sweet enough for me, whereas the plain/greek can be a touch bitter. If that's not quite sweet enough, you can add a drizzle of honey or agave. I will also sometimes crumble a few pecans into the yogurt. But the yogurt and melted frozen blueberries are key. Can't do one without the other.

Yogurt, berries and a protein shake would, in theory, clock in right around 320 calories and 53g protein. There's a DD, and well over 1/2 my goal of protein grams on an UD. If you could find it, there are some tasteless protein powders available on the market - could try mixing some powder in to either the yogurt or the shakes to increase protein with few calories. I've never done it but its an idea.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yennie, I'll have to try the Kirkland brand. A friend told me she really likes it, too. I hadn't heard of the Old Home brand and was surprised it comes from Minnesota. I'm in Southeastern South Dakota. I usually put blueberries in with my yogurt, too, but haven't tried letting them melt in there (I thaw them out before putting in). Do you use fat-free, low-fat, or high-fat yogurt?
Old 03-22-2014, 10:10 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlc View Post
Yennie, I'll have to try the Kirkland brand. A friend told me she really likes it, too. I hadn't heard of the Old Home brand and was surprised it comes from Minnesota. I'm in Southeastern South Dakota. I usually put blueberries in with my yogurt, too, but haven't tried letting them melt in there (I thaw them out before putting in). Do you use fat-free, low-fat, or high-fat yogurt?
I used to live in MN, which is why I mentioned Old Home. Not available everywhere but it is in some parts.

I use fat free for the lowest calorie content.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:53 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
More information I thought was helpful, from "Ripped Body" website:
Quote:
Reducing calories is a stress to your body. It’s important that before you do so you have all the other pieces of the puzzle in place, or you could drive yourself into a metabolic hole. The only reason you’re reading this article is because you want to know what to do when the fat loss stops. Here is the specific order in which to look at things (note how ‘macro adjustment’ isn’t first):

Sleep – Not getting enough? Do something about it, the deep, uninterrupted kind. Sleep affects everything, fat loss is a biggie.
Stress – Period of high stress at work or home? Consider a diet break. Stress affects your fat loss efforts.
Diet break
Macro ratio setting – fatter people will do better with lower carb intake, so consider adding in extra protein and fats.
Macro adjustment
Closing Point

After a long period of dieting it is perfectly normal to have a stall of several weeks. When this happens it can be best to leave things as they are and just challenge yourself to maintain your current weight. If you have 50lbs to lose then it’d be normal to stall 2-3 times during that period. Prepare yourself mentally for it and don’t get frustrated.

Maintenance in and of itself is an achievement.

I know everyone wants to get shredded now, but this isn’t a race. The winners are the people who can maintain their physique and that comes down to those that can keep to their diet in the long run.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:02 AM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Daily Mail newspaper website

Article: Two-week on, two-week off diet 'is the best way to lose weight because it stops your metabolism slowing down'

Quote:
People who diet two-weeks on, two-weeks off lose more weight than those who deprive themselves week in, week out, a study found.
It is thought that the on-off approach stops the body from finding ways to compensate for the lack of calories and so ensures the pounds keep falling off...

Professor Byrne believes they did better because their bodies didn’t switch to an energy-conserving survival mode.

Backing this up, she showed that resting metabolic rate, the amount of energy the body spends when ticking over, dropped less in the men on the on-off diet. This should have helped stop their weight loss from levelling off.

Professor Byrne, of the Bond Institute of Health and Sport in Queensland, also plans to check if intermittent dieting stops the body from trying to claw back the missed calories in other ways, such as by increasing appetite.

She said: ‘Given that long-term weight loss is a challenge we are interested in finding ways to overcome the biological and behavioural impediments to losing weight.
‘The results from our study are encouraging as they suggest providing “rest periods” can overcome some of the compensatory biological factors which reduce weight loss efficiency during continuous dieting.’

She added that the highly-popular 5:2 diet, in which slimmers drastically cut their calorie intake two days a week may have the same effect. However, there is a risk that those following the 5.2 diet will overeat on normal days because they are free to eat what they want.
In contrast, her diet is less extreme and contains instructions for both the ‘on’ and ‘off’ phases.
There are various bits of research that demonstrate that the largest drop in metabolic rate occur within the first 4 weeks of a CR WOE so this might be a way to game that. I've never worked out if JUDDD is supposed to by-pass this because we do, notionally, only restrict for half of the time but our shared experience seems to be that we do stall or plateau and experience metabolic adaptation.

The same researcher was involved with: Does metabolic compensation explain the majority of less-than-expected weight loss in obese adults during a short-term severe diet and exercise intervention? (pdf)
Quote:
the average decrease in absolute RMR was 228 kcal/d (11%) within the first month of the intervention.

Dec 2014 A DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.

Last edited by SlowSure; 03-23-2014 at 01:16 AM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:06 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 146/133/120
WOE: JUDDD
I enjoyed the article linked. Good stuff, I think I'll bookmark that for reminder reading.
SS - I saw that article yesterday as well. I'm rather dubious how it works for people with eating issues (COE for one), and I consider myself a good example of how far off the wagon you can fall in 2 weeks: I've easily gained 10 lbs in that time frame.
kwerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:00 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Planelman
Stats: 350.1/206.4/190(10%BF) 6' 44
WOE: Leangains/Carb Backloading
Start Date: 7/14/2011
I honestly think that EOD rotations and the calories the JUDDD calculator give are just not enough in the long run for what we all really want in the end, to lose fat and end up in shape and eating a normal amount of calories to maintain. In the course of a week JUDDD is really simply a calorie restricted diet. We mix that with exercise and no wonder we run into issues with stalls or over eating on UD's or UUAD's.

I think we all agree that there is benefits to fasting but the implementation of the fasting and the timing of it seems too aggressive and more focused on weight loss than overall health. 5:2 seems much more reasonable or even daily IF where you still eat your normal calories each day in a window, 16/8 or fast 5 or which ever, mixed with reasonable calorie cycling (and carbs if you are ok with carbs). You still get the benefits of periodic fasting without severe calorie restriction and you eat normally, and if you are full stop eating, you don't have to force yourself to eat up to your calories for the day so it might more naturally create a deficit. And once you reach goal you should be much more metabolically flexible and be able to handle a normal calorie level to maintain.

Not trying to bash JUDDD, I just think we all need to eat more.

159.3 Pounds lost since 7/14/2011

Low Calorie: 7/14/2011 - 80lbs lost
Primal: 4/20/2012 - 55.3lbs lost
JUDDD: 4/10/2013 - 23.4lbs lost
Nutritional Ketosis 9/1/2013 - 15.4% BF
Planelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:10 AM   #40
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
The eating-window approach seems more difficult to me. I'd rather not plan the exact times I'm going to eat, or at least not consistently, even if it happens naturally sometimes. If I know that I can eat "normally" all day long eod, then restricting severely eod is easier, for me. I know that severe calorie restriction is probably not good in the long run, but when you have many lbs to lose, there has to be something drastic IMO to make a difference. In my case, it wouldn't be exercise lol. I know that I'm much healthier and more energetic than I was when I started at 207, and I also know that I wouldn't have gotten where I am any other way. This is the only diet that has appealed to me or that has been sustainable--ever. When I begin exercising more regularly, I may consider 4:3 or 5:2. It's definitely food for thought, Mike, and I respect your opinion highly.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #41
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
I just feel like my mind is being opened up to new possibilities. Christina, great article link. I'm fascinated with the way this James Clear describes that you can be burning away fat in the fasted state, and then building muscle in the fed state, all within the same week. Something that I was beginning to believe was impossible.

I'm wondering how I would do on a 16:8 cycle, or the 14:10 he suggests for women. I may try it, just to see how it feels and what my results are like. Lots to think about.

Quote:
I honestly think that EOD rotations and the calories the JUDDD calculator give are just not enough in the long run for what we all really want in the end, to lose fat and end up in shape and eating a normal amount of calories to maintain. In the course of a week JUDDD is really simply a calorie restricted diet. We mix that with exercise and no wonder we run into issues with stalls or over eating on UD's or UUAD's.

I think we all agree that there is benefits to fasting but the implementation of the fasting and the timing of it seems too aggressive and more focused on weight loss than overall health. 5:2 seems much more reasonable or even daily IF where you still eat your normal calories each day in a window, 16/8 or fast 5 or which ever, mixed with reasonable calorie cycling (and carbs if you are ok with carbs). You still get the benefits of periodic fasting without severe calorie restriction and you eat normally, and if you are full stop eating, you don't have to force yourself to eat up to your calories for the day so it might more naturally create a deficit. And once you reach goal you should be much more metabolically flexible and be able to handle a normal calorie level to maintain.

Mike, I am beginning to agree more and more with what you've said above. Earlier on, I was 100% focused on fat loss, and that made perfect sense at the time. Now my thinking is more along the lines of fat loss but with maintenance of a healthy body and being able to handle a decent amount of calories. I don't want to feel restricted the rest of my life!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planelman View Post

Wow, Mike ... I was just having these same wonderings. I mean, we are all here because we have lost weight on JUDDD -- I would not be mostly maintaining a 70 pound loss for so long without it -- and of course because of all the amazing JBs! I'm hitting a wall here, though, and I'm wondering if this is why.

I especially wonder when I think about what JUDDD says should be my no exercise, 20% DD calories. It would be 1932/386. Over the two day period, the average would be 1159. I would be crazy to go on a daily 1159 calorie diet at 201 pounds. I would have nowhere to cut if I hit a stall and as I get lighter and need to eat less, and I would be eating well under my current BMR of 1610 calories .... the minimum I need to keep my body running if I'm laying in bed all day.

Of course, the good thing about JUDDD is the alternating between the maintenance calorie day (which should in theory tell your body that everything is all right) and the fasting day, on which you should be burning lots of fat. I think it worked like that for me while I had lots of fat to lose and my average calories were higher, but at this point it appears to be not working. I was doing a modified light exercise calories level, even, which gave me a daily average of 1300-1400, very reasonable if not low for my weight, but my weekly exercise burned about 1000 calories, which took the net calories back down to 1100-1200. And I still did not lose! Something is not right there.

I also appear to be pretty much maintaining on what should be a 20% cut from my TDEE, which is interesting and makes me think my metabolism has slowed.

Having wondered all that, I want to stress again that we are all a little different. I'm a 46 year old woman with PCOS who has lost 70 pounds (mostly on JUDDD) but is still in the obese category, exercises regularly, and is hitting a stall. That is so different from someone else who is at a different age or gender and has a different metabolic profile and a different amount to lose or exercise level. I just want to say that if JUDDD is working and you feel great ... yay! That was me for a long time. For now, I think I might need to modify some to continue getting results, but I still want to do some form of IF (great ideas, Mike!)

Last edited by calichris; 03-23-2014 at 11:28 AM..
Old 03-23-2014, 05:14 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmmaLiza
Stats: 240/155/125
WOE: LC: 70 lb; JUDDD: 15 lb
Start Date: LC: Apr 2012; JUDDD: Feb 2014
Love this thread! You all have such a great amount of wisdom and determination. There is so much for me to learn here. Thank you for sharing.

Having lost 85 pounds on low carb over a year and then plateauing for the next seven months, I tried lots of tweaks. In fact, every time I would stay the same weight for over a week, I would tweak. Tweaking kind of WAS my diet and it did really work, despite that I am 58 with a sedentary job and the only exercise I got was a bit of walking. I would raise and lower carbs, fat grams, calories. It wasn't what I did, it was more that I changed something. When the tweaks stopped working, I gave up, took about 7 weeks off, and just ate whatever. When I was ready to get back to it, I decided no more tweaks, do something different. While I had gained weight on my time off, I low carbed while I researched what I wanted to do next and did lose a few pounds. Decided on JUDDD and I love it. Not back to my pre break weight yet, but going there. Already happily tweaking away.

My roundabout long point is, I still think it's the variety that works. If all your tweaks of your favorite diet stop working, you can either find a new favorite diet, or decide that where you are is good enough. Nothing wrong with either, IMO.

BTW, my sister pointed out today, that instead of looking at the last 10 months as a plateau, I should just think of it as maintaining my weight loss for almost year. That's not anything I've ever been able to do for such a long time and it IS an accomplishment.
EmmaLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:28 PM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaLiza View Post
BTW, my sister pointed out today, that instead of looking at the last 10 months as a plateau, I should just think of it as maintaining my weight loss for almost year. That's not anything I've ever been able to do for such a long time and it IS an accomplishment.
Yes!!! Your maintenance is definitely a great accomplishment!
Old 03-24-2014, 12:57 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaLiza View Post
Love this thread! You all have such a great amount of wisdom and determination. There is so much for me to learn here. Thank you for sharing.

Having lost 85 pounds on low carb over a year and then plateauing for the next seven months, I tried lots of tweaks. In fact, every time I would stay the same weight for over a week, I would tweak. Tweaking kind of WAS my diet and it did really work, despite that I am 58 with a sedentary job and the only exercise I got was a bit of walking. I would raise and lower carbs, fat grams, calories. It wasn't what I did, it was more that I changed something. When the tweaks stopped working, I gave up, took about 7 weeks off, and just ate whatever. When I was ready to get back to it, I decided no more tweaks, do something different. While I had gained weight on my time off, I low carbed while I researched what I wanted to do next and did lose a few pounds. Decided on JUDDD and I love it. Not back to my pre break weight yet, but going there. Already happily tweaking away.

My roundabout long point is, I still think it's the variety that works. If all your tweaks of your favorite diet stop working, you can either find a new favorite diet, or decide that where you are is good enough. Nothing wrong with either, IMO.

What a great perspective! Thanks so much for describing your journey. The plateau is something not many of us with a long-term amount to lose can escape, but I love the idea of adjusting around it. Sometimes a shake-up seems like a good plan to keep the body guessing as well as to give us a little variety.

Fantastic way to look at the maintaining. I feel good about that as well. I'm keeping most of what I lost off for a long time, and that makes it feel more permanent.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:02 AM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planelman View Post
I honestly think that EOD rotations and the calories the JUDDD calculator give are just not enough in the long run for what we all really want in the end, to lose fat and end up in shape and eating a normal amount of calories to maintain. In the course of a week JUDDD is really simply a calorie restricted diet. We mix that with exercise and no wonder we run into issues with stalls or over eating on UD's or UUAD's....
I've been fretting for a while in a variety of threads about the maintenance intake of food for some people and that was why I'm still reverse dieting to increase my food intake. (Other people who are not trying to maintain a migraine protocol could just increase by 50-100kcals at a time, at macronutrients that suit them - and from food sources that suit them.)

I know the advocates of calorie restriction advise a low exertion lifestyle. However, I'm not sure the research has been conducted in what Dr Berkeley describes as POWs who have a different metabolic state than most people who've embraced a CR lifestyle at a comparatively young age.

I could be completely wrong, but, as a sweeping statement and assuming no other contraindications, I don't think it's ideal for future health and metabolic flexibility if women in, e.g., their early 40s can maintain on a daily average of 1100-1200kcals or so. By their 80s (not an unreasonable lifespan), deducting 10% per decade for age-related metabolic adaptation, they'd be trying to nourish themselves from (very roughly) 990kcals in their 50s, 895kcals in 60s, 810kcals in 70s, and 730kcals in their 80s. Maybe this is metabolic nirvana for CR people but I have mis-givings about its practicality and sustainability.

From Berkeley, the National Weight Register, and Anne M. Fletcher's work on weight maintenance it seems that successful weight maintainers embrace an active lifestyle and pretty much have no choice in the matter if they wish to maintain their weight loss and health. That level of exercise, and the ramping intensity that has to accompany it as people get fitter and need greater intensity to derive the same benefit, has to be fuelled from somewhere.

For me, ADF is something that I'll continue for the notional metabolic benefits of it - but I'm choosing to do it my pushing up my food intake on UDs.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:03 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwerp View Post
ISS - I saw that article yesterday as well. I'm rather dubious how it works for people with eating issues (COE for one), and I consider myself a good example of how far off the wagon you can fall in 2 weeks: I've easily gained 10 lbs in that time frame.
The study is very clear that the 2 weeks off were still within bounds - the participants ate at maintenance kcals and were instructed not to regard it in terms of 'free days'.

I like this study - I think the patterning might prove out to be less metabolically dampening than other weight-loss methods. I would, of course, like to see more thorough and longer-term follow-up.

Last edited by SlowSure; 03-24-2014 at 05:05 AM..
Old 03-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #48

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Such interesting things to think about in this thread. I'm finding myself more and more resentful of having to think about food all the time, what and when I can eat. I am contemplating trying out an eating window, but a larger one. Maybe a 10 hour eating window to start. I keep mixing things up, and that's leading me to believe I'm just not happy with whatever I've been doing. I keep coming back to EOD or 5:2, because I know it works, but I'm really just wanting to eat.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/163.8/165
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
To be 100% honest you guys are scaring me.
sigh
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:03 AM   #50

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patkid View Post
sigh
Pat, no need to be scared. JUDDD is a fantastic, amazing, wonderful tool which works for nearly everyone. My personal issues are all in my own head, I'm sure, and I'm at maintenance, so I feel a little more freedom to experiment. We all need to find what works for us, and some of us need to tweak and try different things. JUDDD, though, got me to goal and beyond with very few tweaks and very little discomfort.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:18 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ilahstrait
Stats: 159/125/130 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Lately I have been eating in a 5-10 hour window. I work out 4 days a week and I have been maintaining my weight. Most down days I eat 500-1200 calories, depending on how I'm feeling. I eat plenty on my up days mostly focusing on protein. I'm trying to eat better so I can continue toning and building muscle.
ilahstrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:28 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

I have never experienced a plateau while dieting. When I did Atkins losing 50 plus I lost weekly. I have never stayed on a weight loss plan straight for 2 weeks without a cheat day. When I would get back on plan my weight would continue dropping. I experienced this on Juddd as well. I always hated that I couldn't stick to a plan for a month straight but maybe it helped in a way.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:31 AM   #53
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patkid View Post
sigh
Pat: and This made me grin. I have not read the article Chris linked yet. I've read all the posts here and felt a little dizzy.

In a way, it's good that I'm not there yet (plateau or needing to tweak anything).

I so love the freedom I'm feeling right now and the simplicity of JUDDD. My blood work and low BP and the way my clothes feel and the great way I feel are letting me know that Kissa's signature about relax-rotate-rejoice-reduce is exactly where I want and need to be right now.

I'm trusting the process. Yesterday I hit 16 pounds down, wore a new pair of size 14 dress pants, felt muscle definition in my legs, looked in the mirror and my skin is glowing. What can be better?

Don't be askeered!! You are losing consistently and nicely. Maybe put this off and re-visit it if/when you hit a serious plateau. But, hey! For some people that does not even happen.

I do appreciate all the wisdom here! Lots to learn.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:41 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

WTG Yam Yam
Old 03-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/163.8/165
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
Yeah,
I started to let myself get really upset but then realized I am a kindergartener trying to understand a graduate level class.
I am just going to go w/ what is working for me right now.
I've never stuck to anything this long and I have clothes to wear that I thought I'd never fit in again.
Back to basics for me.
I am going to grab on to and cling tightly to the positive support and keep going.
Hugs all around!
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:09 AM   #56
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Tierra: Thanks! "I feel good....da-dum-da-dum ...da-dum-dum!" That's the song that's in my head right now.

Pat: You are losing so consistently! So beautifully! JUDDD is loving you. You are teetering on the edge of a new decade. KUTGW just as you are!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/maintaining 135-139
What a wealth of information included in this thread.

Much reading to do and my thanks to all who contributed!
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:12 AM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/maintaining 135-139
Yam-Yam, you are on such a JUDDD roll.......

So happy for you!!!
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #59
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I'm bringing up the 2 wks on 2 wks off that Slow mentioned, without quoting, as it seems a bit long...I wonder how that would work? If I did two weeks on religiously and then 2 wks off, wouldn't it just be maintenance? I think I'd gain back at least half if not all of what I'd lost the previous two weeks.?
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #60
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: faithgirl
Hello all!!

Thank you for posting the article on the 2 week on and off diet Slowsure! I am currently doing Weight Watchers and not very successfully. I fell in love with their Simple Start program and really thought it was going to help me get the weight off. It's primarily unprocessed foods, but because there's limited sugar and salt, I found myself not really wanting to eat a whole lot. Even though tracking food isnt a part of this program, i was doing it because I didn't want to be lying to myself about how much I was eating. I also started walking. In 8 weeks, I've had two gains, and one minor .2 pound loss and tomorrow will be week 8 and I am not sure I will lose. I read this thread over the weekend and realized it might not be me. I knew my metabolism was slow, but after reading some other articles, I realize it is pretty damaged from the past starvation diets.

I wear a fitbit 24/7 so I went back over my food journals and exercise reports and the weeks I ate the least were also the weeks that I exercised the most and they were also the weeks that I gained or only lost the .2. Most of this week, I switched over to count points-I have had trouble losing with points in the past, I thought because they give me what seems like a tremendous amount of food. But I decided that cutting out more calories was out of the question. (Some days I have only eaten 800-1000 calories). I'm not sure if tomorrow's weigh in will bring a loss or not, but I think a small one. Maybe.

Anyway, this 2 week program that's described in the article sounds perfect. I think I am going to alternate Simply Filling with points counting. The two weeks that I count points, would raise my calories enough to allow me to lose during the two weeks I do Simply Filling, hopefully without any major gains.

Sorry this is so long! Last year I managed to lose 31 pounds, by trying different things. The funny thing was, I could only manage to lose weight 10-14 days out of the month. Then I would stall, get frustrated, eat whatever I wanted and regain. I'd start over after a couple of weeks and drop to a new low before stalling out again. I'm hoping that by controlling how many calories I eat during the 'up' weeks, that the gain will be insignificant and I will drop lower faster during the weeks I do Simply filling. Because last year, those couple of weeks or so out of the month-my calories were not insignificant, I'm sure.

faithgirl is offline   Reply With Quote