Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 09:54 PM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Taking a "shake-it-up" break

On the daily chat thread I mentioned that I have been struggling with DDs lately - just feeling like I can't face another one right now, and having trouble with just wanting to eat. I'm not really having any unusual or new stress right now, just normal day to day stuff that's always there for all of us. I really feel like it's plain old diet fatigue.

I've also been missing having some of my old LC favorites, and so I've decided to do a two or three week straight Atkins break. As soon as I made the decision to do this break, I could feel myself relaxing and feeling more calm. I may add back in some lower calorie days if it feels right, but I won't force it if I want to just eat to satisfaction. I want that good old ketosis to kick in and "reset" me.

Today went so well! I didn't count calories. I had all the food I wanted, which was very much in control and satisfying. I didn't think about food all day long, and didn't have the late night urge to snack, which I've been really fighting lately. I've felt really good all day, and already feel like I'm getting myself back.

I don't count this as a JUDDD failure. At all. I just think that I need a brief change of pace. And a break from the constant calorie counting. What a relief! And I will return to JUDDD after this, because it is a miracle WOE.

I thought this might be a good place for any of us who are needing a break, but don't want to leave JUDDD permanently to chat about it and share our results. I'm hoping to get my losses going again, of course, but if all I accomplish doing this is to get my sanity back, then I'll be very happy.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2014, 11:19 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdforshort
Stats: 221/171/140, 5'4", 61yrs
WOE: Atkins/PPower/Mod Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: LC 3/23/12, JUDDD 6/2/12
Carol, dear, I just wanted to wish you every success in this en-devour! I just noticed that you started on your wgt loss journey a couple of months before I did and looking at your overall loss, I am just amazed at your achievements! I guess, I have had 3 months worth of major breaks in between while you've been at it consistently (if I'm not mistaken). So, no wonder your body and mind are craving a break! Maybe, this is what you need to get over the hump. I really admire you for your steadfastness and perseverance! I'll be watching and popping into this thread right along with you.
jdforshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:01 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BroadwayBaby
Stats: 265/224/165
WOE: Lost 35 on WW/-6 on JUDDD...so far
Start Date: 1/18/2014-JUDDD
BroadwayBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:28 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
It’s important to be able to be comfortable living with whatever dietary regimen we’re using! I get diet fatigue if I even think about counting calories! Good luck with your break.
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:29 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
We are all behind you Carol and I am sure this is a good decision. There is nothing like Atkins to calm the sugar monster and melt the fat.

As I boldly suggested in the daily thread, I wonder if this is a good time to face the beastly scale and give yourself a starting point?
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:29 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
IMO, having different WOEs we know we can move between is a real quality of life advantage. Carol, you do what feels right and it will be!
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:42 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brainardt
Stats: 212/195/170 (1st goal) 5'8" 27 y.o
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: January 31, 2014
I hope this is exactly what you need to get back to yourself, Carol! I'll be following this thread to see how you're doing
brainardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:08 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
Start Date: 2/16/2013
We stand behind you 100% Carol. Sometimes a break is much needed and well deserved.
LiLi914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:01 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
Just stopping by to take a look at your 'new place'.

I think this break is a good idea. Just as JUDDD varies between Up and Down Days, maybe our systems need a variation in the month-to-month diet.

Looking forward to seeing how this works for you. Do we get to hear about the favorite dishes you are having?
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:05 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Good call, sister. Relief is such a good clue.
Looking forward to following your experience.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:11 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
Following you with interest.

Good call with listening to your body!
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:21 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive.
Im right there with you! Sometimes a break (or change of pace) is good for the body!
LadyKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:47 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FrostyBeav
Stats: 211/200.2/165
WOE: EOD JUDDD
Start Date: 11/12/13
Carol, google "full diet break" (with quotes) and check out the article by Lyle McDonald. He gives really good physiological reasons why taking a 10 - 14 day diet break every so often actually leads to better diet control and fat loss. Maybe it's just time for that break.
FrostyBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:03 AM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Good luck LCG. I know you will approach this new phase with all the calm enthusiasm you always demonstrate, and it sounds like the first day went very well. I will be checking this thread and cheering you on!
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:20 AM   #15

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I'm all for periodic breaks and shake-ups! I hope this is exactly what you need.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:38 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Good luck on this break LCG! Low-carb can be a lot of fun for a while, I'm sure this will be exactly what you need.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:47 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladybarometer
Stats: 219/188/160
WOE: Low Carb (Less than 30 total a day)
Start Date: Always Ongoing it seems
I think that's fine. I took about a month off from rotations because of a lot of personal stuff going on, and I simply ate low carb 90% of the time, the other 10% was soup and pudding because I've had a number of dental procedures this year which was miserable!! I just recently got back into things. Not a huge gain over the past month - a few lbs. But hey, that is ok with all that has been going on.

You are 100% right though, by no means is this a failure! Everyone needs a little break, and although JUDDD gives of freedom and also keeps us from getting too bored, it can still get tough even for the pros on here.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:59 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
Carol, etc
I too had to do something different. Juddd helped me tremendously. I feel it was my stepping stone to get me to a woe for life. I got it!!
Come over to main lobby and go to different plans. A thread for Fast Five woe anyone?
We have 4-5 people enjoying eating everyday! I love getting to eat every evening.
I'll be checking in on you here, good luck.
Come see me!

Ei
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:22 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/160.8/165
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
Just uploading a bug hug and lots of cheering for you, friend.
You are so level headed and faithful.
I am so glad you posted this here so we can all learn some more from you.
I trust your judgment implicitly.
P
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:19 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carrie jayne
Start Date: January 2014
Carol, I've often thought our bodies know when they need some nutrient, even if it's just a trace amount. It's wonderful your tension smoothed away with the decision to change something. I'll be looking forward to reading your posts, as always.
carrie jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:46 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmmaLiza
Stats: 240/155/125
WOE: LC: 70 lb; JUDDD: 15 lb
Start Date: LC: Apr 2012; JUDDD: Feb 2014
Reserving judgment is a matter of infinite hope. -F. Scott Fitzgerald

I'm new to JUDDD, but I really wanted to post here to say that I did a low carb diet from April 2012 until Dec 2013. I lost 85 lbs and felt great, but I was so. sick. of that diet! I was stalled for the last 7 months of that time. Always before, when I stalled, I'd tweak something and start losing again. It seemed like anything would work--upping carbs, lowering carbs, upping fat, lowering fat--you get the point. Well, from May to Dec, nada. I bounced around the same 2-3 lbs and I got mad. and discouraged. And I didn't do what you are so wisely doing; I gave up. I spent 6 weeks on a full-out emotional free-for-all, eating all the foods I had "deprived" myself of, and gained almost 20 lbs doing it.

One day, I woke up and thought, "I want my hope back." As long as I was trying stuffk, even stuff that wasn't working, I was living in the hope and intent that I could become the person I wanted to be. As soon as I decided to go back to trying new things, I began feeling the same relief you are describing.

It's so important not to become separated from ourselves, like I did over the holidays. To be so out of touch with myself that I was willing to destroy what I had painstakingly built because I was -- I wish I could find the words -- hurt, discouraged, angry, hopeless. I liked myself more all the time when I was losing weight and I found out that even when I was gaining weight, I still liked myself. And I wanted good things for me. So back to the tweaks and experiments, because there is where my hope is.
EmmaLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdforshort
Stats: 221/171/140, 5'4", 61yrs
WOE: Atkins/PPower/Mod Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: LC 3/23/12, JUDDD 6/2/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaLiza View Post
Reserving judgment is a matter of infinite hope. -F. Scott Fitzgerald

I'm new to JUDDD, but I really wanted to post here to say that I did a low carb diet from April 2012 until Dec 2013. I lost 85 lbs and felt great, but I was so. sick. of that diet! I was stalled for the last 7 months of that time. Always before, when I stalled, I'd tweak something and start losing again. It seemed like anything would work--upping carbs, lowering carbs, upping fat, lowering fat--you get the point. Well, from May to Dec, nada. I bounced around the same 2-3 lbs and I got mad. and discouraged. And I didn't do what you are so wisely doing; I gave up. I spent 6 weeks on a full-out emotional free-for-all, eating all the foods I had "deprived" myself of, and gained almost 20 lbs doing it.

One day, I woke up and thought, "I want my hope back." As long as I was trying stuffk, even stuff that wasn't working, I was living in the hope and intent that I could become the person I wanted to be. As soon as I decided to go back to trying new things, I began feeling the same relief you are describing.

It's so important not to become separated from ourselves, like I did over the holidays. To be so out of touch with myself that I was willing to destroy what I had painstakingly built because I was -- I wish I could find the words -- hurt, discouraged, angry, hopeless. I liked myself more all the time when I was losing weight and I found out that even when I was gaining weight, I still liked myself. And I wanted good things for me. So back to the tweaks and experiments, because there is where my hope is.
So true, hope is what keeps us all going!
jdforshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:22 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Planelman
Stats: 350.1/206.4/190(10%BF) 6' 44
WOE: Leangains/Carb Backloading
Start Date: 7/14/2011
Maybe with your recent activity levels you just overall need more food. Use this time to refuel and re-energize and then when you get back to JUDDD maybe look at a higher percentage or a different activity level to get the calories you need to maintain your activity levels.

Might be a good time to get a baseline weight and then use some calorie estimates for your activity levels to figure out your TDEE with exercise to get an idea of how much you are burning on a daily basis and what you would need to eat to to maintain and lose and then take that into account with your JUDDD numbers.

Also, taking a break is a good thing!

159.3 Pounds lost since 7/14/2011

Low Calorie: 7/14/2011 - 80lbs lost
Primal: 4/20/2012 - 55.3lbs lost
JUDDD: 4/10/2013 - 23.4lbs lost
Nutritional Ketosis 9/1/2013 - 15.4% BF
Planelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmmaLiza
Stats: 240/155/125
WOE: LC: 70 lb; JUDDD: 15 lb
Start Date: LC: Apr 2012; JUDDD: Feb 2014
Carol, I'm rereading what I posted and think I need to summarize (oooh, I'm so analytical), I think what you are doing is excellent! Smart and self-aware, unlike myself.
EmmaLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:12 AM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

You guys are all so great! Thanks for joining me here. What a wonderful thing, to have a trusted group of friends who when you say "I'm going to stop doing what you all are doing for awhile", you all just rally behind me.

I appreciate all your comments so much, and am taking them to heart. I agree that this is probably a good time to get a baseline weight, but I'll be honest with you, I feel I've put a few back on and I'm very afraid that seeing that number might really get to me. So for now, I'm going to just do what I know I need to do, and I'll weigh when it feels right again.

I do think my activity level may be - at least partially - to blame for my increased appetite, and I want to honor that. I am, after all, trying to support my muscles. And I understand that bodybuilders always feast during their muscle building phase, and then diet like crazy to lean out and show off their cut bodies. In no way am I trying to do that, but I guess if I have been successful building a little muscle mass, then gaining a few is okay. I know how to take it back off. BTW, I'm feeling increased strength in my upper body, and am having to increase the weights/resistance bands, so good sign there!

Thank you, thank you so much JBs!

So today I'm still feeling good. Still calm about my eating, and enjoying the thought of not counting. I'm having a few sweet cravings, but I know that will disappear in a day or two. I'm just ignoring them, because I know I can have cheese and butter and bacon. Not a bad trade off, IMO.

In other news, like Sirtain, today is my mom's 1 year JUDDDiversary. I'm soooo proud of her!
Old 03-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #26

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Happy JUDDDiversay Carol's Mother.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:37 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/151/145
Start Date: March 2012
Happy JUDDD anniversary to your Mom! I think you are being very wise to switch things up if you are feeling like you need it. I am frequently off plan and maintaining and gaining a bit then back to rotations when I am feeling motivated. I think maintenance breaks and diet switches are a great way to stay on track. I know when I have forced myself to follow a diet when I am feeling burnt out has led to some of my biggest rebound weight gains. Much smarter to just switch thinks up for a while.
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:03 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
LCG, maybe the weight won’t be as bad as you fear. I’m hopeless at telling whether I’m up or down a bit, unless there’s something obvious like clothes that used to fit and don’t an more.
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:03 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/116/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Carol!

All the best to you! Take care of yourself and see you back in the JUDD way real soon!

Happy Anniversary to your Mom Too!

Just how great it must be to have your mom along for the ride with JUDD too!

leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks for the well-wishes for Mom. I saw her today and told her, and she just beamed. She says "Thanks!"

LC appetite suppression seems to be kicking in some this afternoon. YAY! Whew! Bring it on!