Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 02:56 PM   #151
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Nectar of the gods.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2014, 10:08 AM   #152
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
Moscato, strawberry margaritas ... man I do love the sweet stuff.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:27 AM   #153
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Today is the final day of carb-fest, eating up the remaining apple pie a la mode for dessert tonight. Actually, I haven't been going hog wild with carbs, just enjoying a few items I won't have again for awhile like pizza, more fruit than usual. I can really feel the sugar in my system though. I'm a little stiff and creaky, and my skin is tender, or maybe it's the muscles just under the skin. I always get this when I eat a lot of sugar.

Tomorrow morning, right back on Induction level carbs, and I'm looking forward to it. I'll get the cravings and carb-feelings out of my system in a few days, and get into some good deep ketosis.

Then back to JUDDD or some form of IF. I feel really ready to dive into weight loss mode again. I'm going to recalculate my calories, and may take one of Mike's suggestions and include some exercise calories, especially on UDs. I'm feeling really optimistic and positive that I can get losing again, especially since I have gained a few. I'm going to try not to stress my body so much with such dramatic calorie restriction. Of course I want the weight gone fast, but if it takes losing it slower but avoiding more stalls and plateaus, I'll take that.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #154
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
You can do it girl!!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:49 AM   #155
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Yay, Carol! I think you should feel great about your break. Before we even started posting about all the ways a break can help with the metabolic slowdown that goes with dieting, you did this instinctively. It was a smart move! I think it must have done great things for your metabolism, made your leptin happy and given your mind and body a break from the physical stress of long term calorie cutting that will help you long term. I'm planning to do this on a regular basis and plan regular 1-2 week diet breaks at maintenance calories every 6-12 weeks! More often as I get smaller.

I've still been in a daily calorie deficit most days on my break, but feeling well on it, and improved my diet a LOT. This weekend I started intentionally going maintenance or a bit above. I"m planning to keep that up until I restart some form of IF either next week or the week after. The scale will go up (because I don't think I can maintain on my "maintenance" calories right now), but I think it will do me long term good, too, and I'm finallly starting to be able to take the long term view. I kind of like the idea of your Monday, 4/1 restart too ... and it would be fun to restart on the same day! :hi5: I'm going out of town that weekend, but I have the tools to deal with that. I probably also need that time to figure out what I want to do, and then I'm going to do it and not think about it for at least 6 weeks. No more overthinking!

Last edited by calichris; 03-23-2014 at 09:52 AM..
calichris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:28 AM   #156
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
You can do it girl!!
Thank you, my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post
Yay, Carol! I think you should feel great about your break. Before we even started posting about all the ways a break can help with the metabolic slowdown that goes with dieting, you did this instinctively. It was a smart move! I think it must have done great things for your metabolism, made your leptin happy and given your mind and body a break from the physical stress of long term calorie cutting that will help you long term. I'm planning to do this on a regular basis and plan regular 1-2 week diet breaks at maintenance calories every 6-12 weeks! More often as I get smaller.

I've still been in a daily calorie deficit most days on my break, but feeling well on it, and improved my diet a LOT. This weekend I started intentionally going maintenance or a bit above. I"m planning to keep that up until I restart some form of IF either next week or the week after. The scale will go up (because I don't think I can maintain on my "maintenance" calories right now), but I think it will do me long term good, too, and I'm finallly starting to be able to take the long term view. I kind of like the idea of your Monday, 4/1 restart too ... and it would be fun to restart on the same day! :hi5: I'm going out of town that weekend, but I have the tools to deal with that. I probably also need that time to figure out what I want to do, and then I'm going to do it and not think about it for at least 6 weeks. No more overthinking!
Christina, I'd love us to start together! And your plan sounds really smart. I'm just so proud that we haven't given up on all this. It's gotten hard, and you're right, we've been impatient and thinking too much. Now we need to be calm and quiet and listen to what our bodies are trying to tell us.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #157
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Love it, you two stalwarts ready to enjoy the JUDDD calm and the LC healing.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #158
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I'm rooting for all of you!!!
Carol, Chris, Nilla and anyone else I can root for!!!!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:10 PM   #159
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/160.8/165
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
Brilliant Plan!!!!!
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:56 AM   #160
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I'm rooting for all of you!!!
Carol, Chris, Nilla and anyone else I can root for!!!!

Very good plans, Carol and Chris!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:33 PM   #161
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks guys! Day 1 of LC and feeling great - so much better than yesterday. I was exhausted, sleepy, achy, creaky, and was feeling the beginnings of some lower back twinges that were reminiscent of the horrible back spasm I had a year and a half ago. I haven't had a twinge today at all, and I'm only a little stiff. Progress!

I also am going to try to fast or nearly fast until early afternoon. This is in response to the blogpost that Christina linked in another thread, by James Clear. It's IF, but not JUDDD. I think if I can stick pretty close to that during this week of LC, it'll get me in shape for starting JUDDD again.

I'm also thinking about doing 500/2200 days when I start JUDDD again. That's higher than the calculator gives me, but averages to 1350 per day, and with my exercising, should still yield losses, albeit probably slower. I'm trying to be okay with that and just be happy to get the scale moving down again. All the conversation about JUDDD not giving us enough calories (thanks Mike) and slowing our metabolisms has gotten me thinking like this.

I'd love to hear what everyone thinks about this strategy.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:47 PM   #162
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
It sounds like a good plan, LCG. I am already pretty much doing that lol, but it hasn't jump started anything yet. I guess I should start the exercise.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #163

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Sounds good, and I'll follow with interest.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:26 PM   #164
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Yes, I'll follow with intest. I wonder if I can eat more and not gain. Not sure about that.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #165
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I'm also thinking about doing 500/2200 days when I start JUDDD again. That's higher than the calculator gives me, but averages to 1350 per day, and with my exercising, should still yield losses, albeit probably slower. I'm trying to be okay with that and just be happy to get the scale moving down again. All the conversation about JUDDD not giving us enough calories (thanks Mike) and slowing our metabolisms has gotten me thinking like this.

I'd love to hear what everyone thinks about this strategy.
I'm glad the first day back low carbing has been so good to you!

I think your plan sounds good ... you would have enough cals to build some muscle on UDs but should definitely still be getting enough of a deficit on DDs to lose fat. I think 500 is a good DD level too (Varady would approve). Have you decided on your exercise plan?

The idea I'm mulling over is:
  • Three 700-750 cal, low carb DDs. (35% on the JUDDD calculator - this level with the UD level below has worked well for me in the past)
  • Three 1900-2000 UDs - maintenance calories with no exercise (that is, theoretical maintenance according to charts, but ). It might be a bit higher than my maintenance, and that's OK too. My goal is to maintain LBM with protein and weight lifting, and if I can do that I don't think I need to necessarily gain more (I'm at 128 pounds LBM now).
  • One 2500 calorie day - this is my leptin reset, fun day. One of these a week will keep me happy, give me some fun calories, and hopefully make my metabolism happy too. And it will not be a UUAD! It will be planned. I love that.

My thinking here is to keep exercising, but scale back a bit, especially cardio, especially on DDs. I think it seems very doable with my lifestyle, should result in a slowish loss (maybe a pound week thereabouts, but who knows ... I've given up predicting, plus I read SlowSure's post here). Also trying to have 100 or more grams protein a day and good nutrition overall.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #166
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Yes, I'll follow with intest. I wonder if I can eat more and not gain. Not sure about that.
You've worked so hard, I think it would be a little scary, but I really think you could! Especially with your increased exercise. You could do your workouts on up days, and add gradually (as SlowSure mentioned) a bit of calories in small increments. You can really stretch your metabolism this way.

I learned a whole new concept from the Eat More to Weigh Less site (they also have You Tube videos). I'm too scared to do their method, but I'm taking a bit from it. They would suggest that a person who has done low cal dieting for a long time reset their metabolism by eating their maintenance calories (or work up to that) until their weight stabilizes there, which could involve gaining, and might take 6-8 weeks or even more. Some people actually start losing when they raise their calories, though. Then, cut only 15% from that. Every 6-12 weeks, you go back to maintenance calories for a short period (they highly suggest weight lifting and HIIT also). I am trying to be more relaxed, but I don't think I have quite that much patience ... but it seems to really work to allow people to lose and keep their metabolisms up as high as possible. It seems to go with SlowSure's reverse dieting idea, too. Interesting stuff.

Last edited by calichris; 03-24-2014 at 08:35 PM..
Old 03-24-2014, 10:21 PM   #167
Big Yapper!!!!

Your plan sounds really smart, Christina, and I especially like the idea of building in a 2500 calorie day. Looking forward to that day might stave off any urges to eat too much on any other day too.

Carly, I wonder if you could increase your calories too. Maybe slowly re-adding them like Slow talks about with reverse dieting? That would be great for you!

I think I'll stick pretty close to the exercise I've been doing. I'm not doing any real cardio anyway. Just superslow weightlifting with handweights and resistance bands (I'm getting stronger and having to increase - exciting!), body weight exercises like modified pushups, squats, lunges, and Callanetics for toning. And of course hula hooping, but I don't think I get my heart rate up that much doing that. It's great for trimming the waist, and should burn a few extra calories being on my feet and moving a little bit. I think of that more as toning too.

I may rethink which days I do the weights/bands/bodyweight stuff though, and try and keep those to UDs to maximize any muscle strengthening and building that may be possible. Maybe keep hula hooping for DDs.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:05 AM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
Start Date: 2/16/2013
Plans sounds great. Can't wait to hear updates.

I'm off this week due to late birthday celebrations and wedding things. I'm feeling so tired and off kilter. It's been nice taking a semi-break, but I completely understand how you miss the consistency and also get a little carb overload.
LiLi914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:35 AM   #169
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
You've worked so hard, I think it would be a little scary, but I really think you could! Especially with your increased exercise. You could do your workouts on up days, and add gradually (as SlowSure mentioned) a bit of calories in small increments. You can really stretch your metabolism this way.

I learned a whole new concept from the Eat More to Weigh Less site (they also have You Tube videos). I'm too scared to do their method, but I'm taking a bit from it. They would suggest that a person who has done low cal dieting for a long time reset their metabolism by eating their maintenance calories (or work up to that) until their weight stabilizes there, which could involve gaining, and might take 6-8 weeks or even more. Some people actually start losing when they raise their calories, though. Then, cut only 15% from that. Every 6-12 weeks, you go back to maintenance calories for a short period (they highly suggest weight lifting and HIIT also). I am trying to be more relaxed, but I don't think I have quite that much patience ... but it seems to really work to allow people to lose and keep their metabolisms up as high as possible. It seems to go with SlowSure's reverse dieting idea, too. Interesting stuff.
This is what I meant by the 2 wk on/off idea. It's basically the same notion. If you gain by eating maintenance calories every day, then it would be a continual cycle. Theoretically it should work, but if, like you suggest, weight gain happens when you quit dieting and eat at maintenance, then you would be starting back from the beginning each time. However, I do understand the long-term goal and the success it could eventually reap.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:24 AM   #170
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
This is what I meant by the 2 wk on/off idea. It's basically the same notion. If you gain by eating maintenance calories every day, then it would be a continual cycle. Theoretically it should work, but if, like you suggest, weight gain happens when you quit dieting and eat at maintenance, then you would be starting back from the beginning each time. However, I do understand the long-term goal and the success it could eventually reap.
I've been discovering that the BMR/TDEE, etc. calculators are just a start ... they are just an estimate. If you find the calorie level on which you actually maintain, the two week plan should be able to work. The Eat More to Weigh Less people think that people gain on their maintenance calories due to the changes in metabolism following low calorie diets. JUDDD makes it tricky to know what is "real" gain because anytime we transition from JUDDD to every day full calories (even maintenance ones) I think the scale goes up just from the increase in food and fluid. Anyone trying this with JUDDD would have to have faith and see past the fluctuations.

Last edited by calichris; 03-25-2014 at 07:26 AM..
Old 03-25-2014, 07:29 AM   #171
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Planelman
Stats: 350.1/206.4/190(10%BF) 6' 44
WOE: Leangains/Carb Backloading
Start Date: 7/14/2011
Quote:
Gaining when eating at maintenance, means it is not really maintenance and is too high. There might be an initial bounce but should level out. If it was a constant gain over the 2 weeks then the maintenance calories are too high for you, or something is not being tracked correctly or not accounted for. It would be a bit of trial and error to dial in the correct maintenance level that does not cause a gain or loss over that 2 week period.
Planelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:32 AM   #172

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
My weight is already up following a couple of free days, so I'm trying the TDEE method starting yesterday. I don't plan to cycle 2 weeks on/2 weeks off, though, but I'm interested to see if I can stay stable at close to the TDEE calculator. I may or may not incorporate a 10 hour eating window. That's the goal, but my schedule's pretty crazy right now with Keira in softball, so I can't guarantee I'll be able to stick to the window, but hopefully it'll work with just the right calories. I'll be a semi-sorta-guinea pig.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:41 AM   #173
Big Yapper!!!!

Good luck, Dawn and I'll be interested in following your progress. My TDEE is 1700 approximately (1697) on the most conservative calculator. I typically eat around 2000-2500 and 400-600 which amounts to 1250-1550 and I maintain on that pretty much. So, judging by my experience, I would need to eat a little less than TDEE to maintain every day. Of course, I try to go lower on UDs and DDs, and then I might lose a lb or two, but I usually go back to where I'm comfortable and it's still hard work with EOD.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*

Last edited by Librarygirl; 03-25-2014 at 08:45 AM..
Old 03-25-2014, 10:50 PM   #174
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I've been discovering that the BMR/TDEE, etc. calculators are just a start ... they are just an estimate. If you find the calorie level on which you actually maintain, the two week plan should be able to work. The Eat More to Weigh Less people think that people gain on their maintenance calories due to the changes in metabolism following low calorie diets. JUDDD makes it tricky to know what is "real" gain because anytime we transition from JUDDD to every day full calories (even maintenance ones) I think the scale goes up just from the increase in food and fluid. Anyone trying this with JUDDD would have to have faith and see past the fluctuations.
Thank you for referring us to Eat More 2 Weigh Less. I have browsed it a bit and am fascinated! I'll be devouring it more as soon as I have the time. You always come up with the best stuff, C!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
My weight is already up following a couple of free days, so I'm trying the TDEE method starting yesterday. I don't plan to cycle 2 weeks on/2 weeks off, though, but I'm interested to see if I can stay stable at close to the TDEE calculator. I may or may not incorporate a 10 hour eating window. That's the goal, but my schedule's pretty crazy right now with Keira in softball, so I can't guarantee I'll be able to stick to the window, but hopefully it'll work with just the right calories. I'll be a semi-sorta-guinea pig.
It'll be interesting to hear how close your actual TDEE is to what the calculator tells you it is. I'm sure with a little experimentation, and using the suggestions Mike gave above, you'll be able to find your own number. And maybe even begin to "reverse diet" your way to a higher number. Wouldn't that be great?

I'm really enjoying the 8-10 hour window I've done these last 2 days. In the morning I do "want" to have a little something, like mid-morning, but it's no big deal to skip it until later. Today it was 1:45 when I ate first, and it wound up being rather a light day for me. Not counting at all, but I feel intuitively that it was a lower calorie day. I didn't snack and had pretty small portions of LC/HF foods, and a nice big portion of baked salmon and cauliflower for dinner, and feel perfectly satisfied even now at almost 11pm.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:07 AM   #175
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Wonderful stuff.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:58 AM   #176
Big Yapper!!!!

LCG, I'm curious if you are going to weigh in before you start JUDDD again? Maybe the LC/HF and eating window will get you closer to what you were before your break too.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:11 AM   #177
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
LCG, I'm curious if you are going to weigh in before you start JUDDD again? Maybe the LC/HF and eating window will get you closer to what you were before your break too.
Oh, most definitely! I haven't weighed this past week because of the recent birthday carby treats, but I plan to weigh the morning of 4/1. And I should try to remember to measure too. I need to know, and I want to be able to weigh regularly again and see what progress I'm making with JUDDD. I'm not saying I'll weigh every day, but at the very least once a week.....after DDs! And I'll start posting on either the daily or weekly weigh-in threads too, for accountability.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:10 PM   #178
Big Yapper!!!!

Did I miss your birthday, Carol?!
Old 03-26-2014, 03:19 PM   #179
Big Yapper!!!!

Nope, not mine (thank goodness - they don't need to come any oftener than they already do!).
Old 03-26-2014, 03:29 PM   #180
Big Yapper!!!!

I can't remember when it was, but I sometimes don't look beyond my control panel and miss new posts. Thank goodness I didn't miss it!