Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #31
ks4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ks4
Stats: 154.8/135.4/120
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10/29/2013
Congrats to your mom!

I myself took a small maintenance break for a week and a half, 2-3 weeks ago. I ate 1000 or so calories on my down day and did not count UD, and I didn't gain any weight. Also I am at a new low since returning after only 3 DD's and I feel it is much easier to do DD's again so the break was well worth it! I thought of doing it for longer (I thought I was at a plateau before) but felt myself regain motivation and willpower again, it was very nice though while it lasted Go for it!
ks4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2014, 03:28 PM   #32
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Happy JUDDDiversary to your mom, Carol!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #33
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Carol I think this is awesome and I'm so glad you made the right choice for yourself. I've had a hard few DDs and my sleep is horrendous. I'm baffled as this seems to have started out of no where, but it could be the increased exercise even though I've laid off a bit over the last 10 days. I'll be watching with interest and deciding what I may do.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:27 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
Carol, isn't it the coolest thing to be able to have a break with another workable plan like Atkins just for a change of pace......all the while knowing (in the back of your mind ) you have wonderful JUDDD to come back to, that you can just ease back into like you'd never been gone?!!

Just that thought alone brings such a peace of mind and a confidence like no other!!!

And...........all the support of the BUDDS to boot!!!

Do let us know some of the scrumptious things you are eating!!!

Please love on your Mom from me too, for a job well done!

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:11 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Locarbarella
Stats: 188/123/125 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb maintenance since 2007
Start Date: Atkins 2006
By coincidence I had decided to do the same thing! My sleep has been so disordered that I felt I had to take a break for a couple of weeks at least and see how I do. I think it makes sense to change things up if something doesn't feel right.

I'll be very curious to see how you do LCG! I'll be with you in spirit, eating our low carb fare and enjoying it. Here's hoping we benefit from the experiment!
Locarbarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:26 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
I'm doing a shake-up too! I JUDDD and it has been very good to me, but something has been different for me lately. Even though I've been trying really hard the last two months, the scale has barely budged. It's harder to stay motivated when that happens, but like Carol, I was also feeling suddenly stressed by down days (after doing them mostly cheerfully and with relative ease for 19 months!). New feelings of dread of the next down day and deprivation from the previous down day were even making up days a little stressful. I have no idea why this would happen after so long with being perfectly happy on JUDDD, but there it is. I feel like my body is just fighting rotations right now.

My shake-up is to calculate my TDEE calories and subtract 20% every day (so no rotations). For me this is about 1700 calories a day. I started 8 days ago, and JUDDD's given me tons of tools that make this seem easy. I am not hungry, and I feel good, and there is no stress. Also, several days a week seem to fall into an eating window of maybe 6-8 hours, so I guess intermittent fasting is ingrained in me now.

If you are new, please know that this is not in any way anti-JUDDD ... I am someone who is extremely grateful to JUDDD for being the reason I finally evicted 62 pounds (73 total) and was actually able to stick to a plan for well over a year. My plan is to go back to rotations at some point. I'm a fan of JUDDD but just think my body needs a bit of a switch up right now.

Frosty, thanks for that article on the diet break. The comments on the stress of long term (50-100 pounds or more to lose) dieting ring true. I like this quote:
Quote:
People tend to fixate on short-term results (as noted above they want to BE LEAN NOW) but for most applications, long-term adherence is far more important. In the big scheme of things, what is two weeks not losing fat if, not only does the break mean you lose fat MORE effectively (because you’ve normalized hormones) but you increase your odds of long-term success by not being so psychologically stressed all the time.
I have heard of this break before and I really like the idea, but I can't do maintenance right now. I have already not seen a new low since August for various reasons! I am hoping the scale will start moving again on this new kind of deficit. Hope it's OK to stick around here in the meantime.

Last edited by calichris; 03-05-2014 at 10:29 PM..
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:05 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
Congratulations to your mom. We are JUDDD-twins!

*Does this make me your aunt?*
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:34 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Beginning in month 5 of JUDDD, every six weeks to two months during my weight loss I had a major vaycay or family event or something at least a week (sometimes three weeks) long and involving really good food.

I did not pretend to be rotating or trying to lose weight. I did not eat if I was not hungry and did not over eat when I was (and I paid attention to hunger). I made a point of avoiding mindless eating (do not grab a cookie off the plate in passing, do sit down to chat with a friend and eat three cookies during the chat). At the end of each event: one time I gained a pound, one time I lost a pound, most of the time I maintained perfectly. And after each of these 'breaks' returning to the rotations, and losing weight that week was easy and natural.

I am a total believer in the 'shake it up' theory. I just always come back to JUDDD because that is where I feel best.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:03 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Man, I can identify with everything being said here. I stalled on Juddd the first time. I don't mean with weight - I was down beyond my goal. I hit a wall and could not do rotations.
What I so appreciate and admire here is that you're choosing plans going forward. I just thought I'd failed and gave the whole thing up.
I'm so grateful for the examples being offered here. You're showing all of us that there are healthy choices at these stages.
Looking forward to hearing how this feels for you.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:32 AM   #40
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Carol I think this is awesome and I'm so glad you made the right choice for yourself. I've had a hard few DDs and my sleep is horrendous. I'm baffled as this seems to have started out of no where, but it could be the increased exercise even though I've laid off a bit over the last 10 days. I'll be watching with interest and deciding what I may do.
Believe it or not I slept through the night last night- after a DD
I can't believe it!!!! Maybe just venting my concern helped????
I had been planning to do 4:3 with another DD tomorrow, but maybe this just needs to be a 5:2 week- not sure, but I learned from you Carol, that I need to listen to my body on this one and not just plow through a DD- because it was my plan.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:10 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
That's great to hear, Carly.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:39 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
...... but I learned from you Carol, that I need to listen to my body on this one and not just plow through a DD- because it was my plan.
Yes
Old 03-06-2014, 08:52 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susan41
Stats: 243/202/?
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 4th 2013 sugar first, then LC august 25th
Carol my sweet friend, I just caught up on this thread, and I'm so very proud of you. 100% support for your shake it up plan of action.
susan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdforshort
Stats: 221/171/140, 5'4", 60yrs
WOE: Atkins/PPower/Mod Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: LC 3/23/12, JUDDD 6/2/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Beginning in month 5 of JUDDD, every six weeks to two months during my weight loss I had a major vaycay or family event or something at least a week (sometimes three weeks) long and involving really good food.

I did not pretend to be rotating or trying to lose weight. I did not eat if I was not hungry and did not over eat when I was (and I paid attention to hunger). I made a point of avoiding mindless eating (do not grab a cookie off the plate in passing, do sit down to chat with a friend and eat three cookies during the chat). At the end of each event: one time I gained a pound, one time I lost a pound, most of the time I maintained perfectly. And after each of these 'breaks' returning to the rotations, and losing weight that week was easy and natural.

I am a total believer in the 'shake it up' theory. I just always come back to JUDDD because that is where I feel best.
Great advice, Thank you!
jdforshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:59 AM   #45
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Loving this thread Carol, it reminds me what great group of people JUDDD BUDDDs are.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:13 AM   #46
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Carol: kudos to you and also to your Mom!

You are such a great inspiration and you are giving us all an example of how to live in the real world and do what is best at the time.

So glad you started this shake it up thread! It will be a great one for new, supportive and successful ideas on how we can all keep reaching towards our goals!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:04 PM   #47
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Golly, I'm so glad I started this thread! Seems like I'm not the only one feeling some of these things, and that is so encouraging (not that I'm wishing this on anyone!). And so many comments about my choosing how to go forward and not just giving it all up is so gratifying. I guess I hadn't formally thought that out, but it's true. This may be an "unplanned" detour in the grand scheme, but one I am comfortable with right now.

I will share some of the yummy things I am eating. Last night I had a big omelet with ham, cheese, onion, green pepper and salsa. YUM! Tonight it is Citrus Pesto swordfish steaks (a la Giada) and kale sautéed in garlic olive oil. Chicken salad with real mayo for lunch. Mostly just coffee/hwc for breakfasts, like usual. Tomorrow a huge green salad with ham, cheese, and greek feta dressing.

Last night I tried Black Velvet Cinnamon Rush - OMG that is good stuff! Then I panicked for a minute because it does taste sweet and I hope it doesn't have a ton of sugar in it. I googled it, but there's no nutrition info out there. I've emailed the company for the information, so I hope they'll answer soon. I won't have this anymore until after this LC break, just in case.

Mom sends and for all the well-wishes you've sent. I'll have to get a picture of the two of us and post it for you. Everyone has always said I look just like her. Aunt Sirtain, you'll have to let me know if there's a family resemblance!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:13 PM   #48
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Sounds lovely Carol, but please excuse my UK ignorance. What on earth is a Black Velvet Cinnamon Rush? I cannot begin to imagine.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #49
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Sounds lovely Carol, but please excuse my UK ignorance. What on earth is a Black Velvet Cinnamon Rush? I cannot begin to imagine.

Black Velvet is a brand of Canadian whiskey, and they have now come out with flavors. Cinnamon Rush is one. Toasted Caramel is another. Yummy!
Old 03-06-2014, 03:43 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/115.5/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Black Velvet Cinnamon Rush is a fiery hot flavored whiskey that delivers an intense cinnamon kick ... Made from hand-selected soft winter wheat and crystal clean Canadian Rocky ... It offers sophisticated fun with only 78 calories per 1.5 fl. oz.

But I could not find about the sugar
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:57 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FrostyBeav
Stats: 211/200.2/165
WOE: EOD JUDDD
Start Date: 11/12/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
Black Velvet Cinnamon Rush is a fiery hot flavored whiskey that delivers an intense cinnamon kick ... Made from hand-selected soft winter wheat and crystal clean Canadian Rocky ... It offers sophisticated fun with only 78 calories per 1.5 fl. oz.

Similar to Fireball, then?
FrostyBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:42 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Locarbarella
Stats: 188/123/125 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb maintenance since 2007
Start Date: Atkins 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post

I doubt it has any sugar if it's 78 calories a shot. That's the same as regular whiskey. I'm going to get some of the caramel stuff. Yum.

LCG,that Giada recipe sounds really good.
Locarbarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:57 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: windygap
Stats: Ex:166/136/130
WOE: Atkins now doing JUDDD and lowcarb
Start Date: April28,2013JUDDD start June 16' 2013
Hi Carol I just found this thread. Good luck with your new way of eating. I fully understand. I am behind you 100%. All the food sounds great. We love you.
windygap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:52 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Goner
Stats: 184/158/157 restart 5-1-14 165.5/164/154
Start Date: May 2013
Getting caught up ... how wonderful that JBers are willing to share their struggles, tweaks and what works for them!! I wish you nothing but success Carol, and know you will figure it all out... listening to what our bodies want and need is a new concept for many - me included.

I had about 2 months where I felt I was "failing" with JUDDD - not a good mental place to be. And IMO dieting is so much about what we think - to allow yourself a detour that you just KNOW your body and mind wants and needs - is success in itself! I think that is something to keep in mind for everyone! Thanks for that way of thinking about this journey!!

And KUDOS to your Mom! Yes, you do look alike! <wink> Just knowing this WOE works for ALL ages is so exciting!! I know it inspired me for sure!
Goner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:29 AM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Toasted Caramel Whiskey!!?!?!!?!!!!!

OMG, you are speaking my language.

(I know that is not the one you enjoyed. But, golly, I only take maybe five drinks a year. But ..... WANT!!!)

It sounds like you are forcing yourself to eat well. Very well. Yummmy well.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 03-07-2014 at 05:31 AM..
Old 03-07-2014, 12:11 PM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
I'm caught up! I was wondering how you're doing

I have to say-- I generally *don't* lose scale weight when I'm exercising. Its the reason I laid off all of last year, b/c I wanted to see if I could lose with just diet.

So just something to keep in mind-- and if you stay off the scale, DO take measurments or try on a tight pair of pants (because THEY DON"T LIE) so that you can track your progress.

which I know you know, but I felt compelled to say. This is for Chris too

and I look forward to seeing how your experiment goes! and congrats to Mom too!

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:56 AM   #57
Big Yapper!!!!

Yesterday was a bit rough. I had some pretty serious sugar cravings, and I'm sure I ate more than I needed to because of them. All LC, but I allowed myself to eat LC stuff to avoid giving in to the sugar thing. Baby steps.

Today, I feel a major shift in my mind. I'm feeling my motivation coming back, and feeling positive and good, and like the goal isn't so far away. I'm really relieved to be feeling that, I must admit. I've even been missing JUDDD rotations a little bit. I'm going to stick with this plan, though, until 3/20, enjoy my family celebrations for 2 days, and then probably go back to JUDDD. Even though I'm feeling like I want to JUDDD again already, I know I haven't had enough of a break to really bust through the wall. And my body is loving the LC feeling.

On that note......TMI ALERT! Read at your own risk!

I've been having some elimination changes. Yesterday and today I'm peeing way more than I'm taking in (which I'm trying real hard to increase). So I feel like I'm whooshing out some fluid retention. All expected and good stuff.

What was not expected, at least not to this extent, was a HORRIFIC bout of constipation, and lots of volume. I mean lots. No, I really mean lots. This has been going on for 3 days now. Where is it all coming from?

I was expecting some constipation, as that's very common with LC, but I haven't had anything this bad since doing LC over a decade ago, and I think this may be the worse one ever. Let me just say...pain. But the volume? LC is known for being "low residual", and that has always been my experience. I mean, fighter pilots eat steak and eggs prior to a mission so they won't have to "go" during their long flight.

I really think I may have had some pretty serious buildup for some time, and I really wonder if that is what could have been driving my appetite changes and feeling "bigger" around the middle. Anyway, that seems to be resolving, and I hope I'm "getting rid" of what I need to. Aren't you glad you read this far? Sorry guys! All in the name of full disclosure.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:07 AM   #58
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Carol, I'm sure you probably take magnesium, but that was very important to me during LC and sometimes even now. Also, non-dairy probiotics help me too. I'm sure this is just temporary, but I do know also how uncomfortable it can be.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post

I really think I may have had some pretty serious buildup for some time, and I really wonder if that is what could have been driving my appetite changes and feeling "bigger" around the middle. Anyway, that seems to be resolving, and I hope I'm "getting rid" of what I need to. Aren't you glad you read this far? Sorry guys! All in the name of full disclosure.
I think you may be on to something. Serious buildup and then a change in WOE could be at least part of the reason for major poopage. And I don't know the biology behind it, but it makes sense that it could also be a reason for your appetite changes. You said its slowing down now, which leads me to believe your change in diet has caused this.

Our bodies are such fascinating machines. For me figuring it all out is a life long process!
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/115.5/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
I am constipated more then I want to be. I've tried everything, but, but!!

I also mentioned it to my doctor, seems like this is normal for me! All tests showed nothing!

What did you take or eat to make you go? I hope you do not mind me asking!

I know when I do go my pants fit so much better in the tummy!
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote