Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2014, 05:59 PM   #271
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Carol, after sticking to Atkins for a heroic 9 months and JUDDD for for well over a year, you've shown you can stick to a plan ... so if you think an adjustment is right for you, then go for it!

I think I am about to make a change too. I haven't 100% decided, but I think am going to see what happens on intuitive eating for awhile. I'm halfway through one book and have another one waiting, so I'm going to really think it over this weekend. If I go ahead, I will monitor the scale very carefully, but I'm cautiously optimistic that this might be just the thing for me right now and that I might even be able to lose this way. I've been "hunger directed eating" today, and so far I've had much less than I would have on an up day. I felt good, satisfied, and it made me happy not to count and weigh and measure and track (or feel guilty that I wasn't). In a month I will have been dieting for two years! That is a long time. I'm so happy I've come so far with JUDDD, and I want to lose more, and I hope I do one way or another, but I definitely want to maintain my loss. I don't know how this will go, but I'm often up for an experiment, so I'll keep you all posted.

Last edited by calichris; 04-25-2014 at 06:01 PM..
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2014, 07:49 AM   #272
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Christina, I will be very interested to hear how you feel about HDE. I just finished "The Overfed Head" by Rob Stevens yesterday and am intrigued. I find I am pretty good at doing it part of the day, and then I slip back into my normal routine. So I have work to do on that front.

Don't disappear from the boards though, okay?
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:11 AM   #273
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Aww, thanks Carol! I will still be checking in! JUDDD is the most successful WOE I've ever done ... I just think I need a break from calorie counting. I am going ahead with the intuitive eating experiment, but I always know JUDDD is here, and plus, I the JBs!!!
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:52 PM   #274
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Christina I ams so curious to see how this works for you and so very hopeful! I can't even imagine being able to eat intuitively but it must be wonderful.

Carol thanks for the name of the book! I'm going to see if my library has an ebook ans get started!
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:05 AM   #275
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
DeeDee, I hope you can find it. I got mine from the library with an e-book loan and didn't even have to go get it.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:49 PM   #276
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
If you were referring to "The Overfed Head," deedee, you can google that title and pdf and the entire text will come up.
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:01 PM   #277
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UtahDesert
Stats: 170?/124/125
WOE: JUDDD/IE
Start Date: 1/27/2014
Thanks for the referral to the Overfed Head and the link. I read it quickly and I'm thinking over its advice.

One interesting thing for me is that it describes very well the way my seventeen-year-old daughter has always eaten, in spite of our urging her not to waste food or to eat healthy things before dessert. And she does very well--she has no weight issues and rarely talks about her body image.

And while the first part of it, the author's own story, makes me almost feel bad about the weight I've lost in the last three months--maybe this is the downward bounce of a yo-yo that will result in me becoming heavier than I ever have before!--I also can see how intermittent fasting might be a useful preliminary to this approach. Through the fasting we become more familiar with hunger, and we also become more aware of those other urges to eat--because we're resisting all of them (hunger as well as those other urges) on a fasting day. I also wonder if the freedom we feel on up days keeps us from experiencing the deprivation as badly as on most diets. (On the other hand I know that I've been thinking a lot about food most days I've been doing JUDDD.) And not being afraid of hunger--that's one huge thing I've learned from intermittent fasting, and that's something this book recommends.

In general, I think the insights are good. But here are the problems that I have with following the advice in this book to the letter:

1) Meals are often social occasions. Unless you're living a pretty solitary life (which I occasionally do), you'll frequently find yourself eating dinner with other people at a particular hour, or offered food by your host at some other kind of occasion. I think this approachcan be adapted to this, but I wish the author had addressed this specifically.

2) Sometimes taste or even the conscious choice to try some new thing or to take advantage of some special opportunity is going to be the driving motivation, and I don't think that's a bad thing. This idea of listening only to yourself, only to some internal intuition of what you should eat--that would work if you always had a magical refrigerator a few yards away, but normally what you eat is always going to be a combination of your urges (including actual hunger) and what's available. But of course taking advantage of some special opportunity doesn't mean that you have to eat all that's offered or any particular size portion of it--that's where actual hunger should be the guide. That makes sense.

Anyway, I think it's really worth reading and I recommend it as well.
UtahDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:15 AM   #278
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 146/129/120
WOE: JUDDD + <20g carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDesert View Post
Through the fasting we become more familiar with hunger, and we also become more aware of those other urges to eat--because we're resisting all of them (hunger as well as those other urges) on a fasting day.

In general, I think the insights are good. But here are the problems that I have with following the advice in this book to the letter:

1) Meals are often social occasions. Unless you're living a pretty solitary life (which I occasionally do), you'll frequently find yourself eating dinner with other people at a particular hour, or offered food by your host at some other kind of occasion. I think this approach can be adapted to this, but I wish the author had addressed this specifically.

2) Sometimes taste or even the conscious choice to try some new thing or to take advantage of some special opportunity is going to be the driving motivation, and I don't think that's a bad thing.

Anyway, I think it's really worth reading and I recommend it as well.
I like your analysis and completely agree.

I'm trying out HDE at the moment, and I think I'm doing pretty well with it because I had tried out JUDDD and got used to what true hunger felt like. If DDs don't teach ya what that feels like, nothing will! The reason I'm trying out HDE is due to the obsessive food thoughts that JUDDD was causing on UDs, as well as DDs, truth be told.

With regard to 1), I totally agree. My only caveat is that when I know I'm going to have a social eating engagement now, I'll be sure not to eat a few hours before to make sure I'm truly hungry. Ironically, this is what my mother does naturally (she's rail thin).

For 2), I agree that this can be a catch. Last night, I had eaten my dinner and dessert to satisfaction. Dessert was a green apple and dark chocolate. I was full, not uncomfortably so, but full. DH had this "gourmet" ice cream that he was ranting and raving about. I decided to try a small bit - I wanted a taste. I had two teaspoonfuls, and tasted the ice cream. I felt no compulsion for half a cup, or even a whole bowlful, which I would have done in the past. (The child in me would have said, "I want two desserts!!") So I tried it, and thought, "that was ok. It wasn't a 10/10, but it was ok." Maybe if I'm hungry it'll taste better, but I don't absolutely need that.

Long story short - I'm learning that "trying" or "tasting" doesn't have to be full-out eating.
kwerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:27 AM   #279
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Joyce, I was actually looking for YAYOG, which I did find on my library's e-book system. It was an interesting read, though I don't know if I agree with his eating philosophy, I am definitely going to start doing the exercises.

After reading all of your thoughts on the Overfed Head, I am so curious to read it now. Thanks for letting me know the pdf is floating out there, I'm going to check it out tonight!
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #280
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UtahDesert
Stats: 170?/124/125
WOE: JUDDD/IE
Start Date: 1/27/2014
Nice example, kwerp! And I've started doing exactly the same thing as you with social engagements. (Brazilian grill dinner with my daughter and a friend of hers the other night--all I had all day beforehand were two scotch eggs for breakfast. The taste of the first meat sliced off the server's skewer was to die for.) That's why I don't like the Intuitive Eating recommendation that you have to "honor your hunger." No, I don't have to honor it. Hunger is okay, hunger isn't scary, hunger can be set aside and forgotten while I do other things, and I can pick it up again when I'm ready to eat.

I've also decided that I need to use my daughter as a role model. Not her snacking (especially since it's not to my taste), but at meals. When she stops eating, I should stop and see how I feel and consider whether or not I feel any more hunger. (Luckily I love leftovers--I'm even getting into the fun of saving them longer, for the next up day.)
UtahDesert is offline   Reply With Quote