Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 08:08 AM   #181
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patkid View Post
No one could ever think of you as argumentative, Carly.
Your spirit is so kind and supportive. I am learning from this discussion.
You are a hero to me.
I hope work stress eases. Though I am retired now, I remember it really well.
P
Aw, thanks Pat

I'm not expecting work stress to ease anytime soon, but being realistic about that is, in part, helpful.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2014, 09:02 AM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carrie jayne
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: January 2014
I've been battling shoulder pain (muscular, both shoulders) the past couple of weeks. I haven't strained anything. I've started doing shoulder and neck exercises to strengthen the muscles and using a massage machine on my back, which is helping but very slowly. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen early in their JUDDing or if it's just a fluke.

Last edited by carrie jayne; 03-09-2014 at 09:10 AM..
carrie jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:03 AM   #183
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carrie jayne
Start Date: January 2014
Ah, Yam Yam, I'm holding you close to my heart.
carrie jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #184
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie jayne View Post
I've been battling shoulder pain (muscular, both shoulders) the past couple of weeks. I haven't strained anything. I've started doing shoulder and neck exercises to strengthen the muscles and using a massage machine on my back, which is helping but very slowly. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen early in their JUDDing or if it's just a fluke.
I have degenerative disc disease and psoriatic arthritis. My shoulders are very bad- muscular pain as well as joint pain. The muscles spasm, because they have to work so hard to hold up my head since my neck/spine is so weak. For me absolutely no connection to juddd.

I have never heard anyone else mention shoulder pain, so likely an unkind coincident.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:35 PM   #185
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Planelman
Stats: 350.1/206.4/190(10%BF) 6' 44
WOE: Leangains/Carb Backloading
Start Date: 7/14/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Mike- I hope you didn't feel that I was being argumentative, because that was not my intention at all. Just pointing out some gender differences that we don't always take into account. In general, and especially in pharmaceutical studies, the studies are done with male subjects only so everything doesn't always translate as well to women. I read that big pharm uses men, because women's hormones throw the studies off, but they apply what is learned from the men to women as well when making dosing recommendations, etc...
I definitely didn't think you were being argumentative, I just wanted to try to acknowledge that I try to take both sides into account when posting. Not everything is as effective for women as men, but in general terms what is healthy and beneficial does apply to both sexes. The effectiveness and to what extent it is effective is the tricky part. Figuring out how much of a good thing is good for each person.
Planelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:42 PM   #186
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Hello everyone. I am back from my wanderings. Did really well eating. Weight is actually a bit less for which I am very thankful!

Yam yam - sorry to hear about hubby, but hopefully he is on the mend.

Leo41 would you give a sample UD menu to get that amount of protein in? You are definitely one of our stars. Nice to see you posting with us.

Hugs for wveryone
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:29 AM   #187
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Good morning
I was up at 4am after finally going to bed at 1am playing candy crush.
Going to be a long day lol.
I've cleaned out my refrigerator and cleaned all my veggies up already this morning.
made the veggie marinara sauce for supper, it's always better a day or two after you make it, but I got side tracked yesterday and didn't cook it, so it was simmering away by 5am.
I really should do that when I bring them home, not when I'm going to the store lol.
I end up throwing out way too much produce because I tossed it in the fridge without taking it out of the plastic bags and it gets condensation in it and spoils.
My darling boy is home for spring break. Annoying little fart that he is
Hope everyone has a great day

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:03 AM   #188
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive.
Morning all! To those of us who had DST yesterday, how are we doing?

I was wide awake at 2 a.m. - hungry - so I ate a quest bar. Couldn't fall back alseep for the life of me

I really don't do well with time changes!

I did Crossfit on Saturday - wasn't too bad...but my legs still hurt from Saturday. That didn't help me sleep last night either.

Oh well, it's another day. Have a great day everyone!
LadyKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:19 AM   #189
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladybarometer
Stats: 219/188/160
WOE: Low Carb (Less than 30 total a day)
Start Date: Always Ongoing it seems
NOTHING is more frustrating then a JUDDD bounce despite knowing the factors that may have caused it >_<

I bounced up two lbs after a DD. Gah!!

Factors? Eating dinner kinda late
Being a little dehydrated from smooth move tea
retaining water after smooth move tea takes affect.
Feeling like a parade float of bloat this morning.

***SCREAMS!
ladybarometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:28 AM   #190
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
I still can't write this up as I'm sorting through a lot of material however I did want to pop some data in here while leaving the full write-up and interpretation for the body composition threads.

I'll probably need to break the data and interpretation up into a couple of posts.

Now, as for the body composition itself. Quick recap: last year's BodPod assessment reported that I had a body fat of 42% and was thus normal weight, metabolically morbidly obese (in Shah and Braverman terms and according to the criteria of the American Society of Bariatric Physicians).
Quote:
Defining obesity based on percent body fat, as with BMI, also has arbitrary cut-points. In 1995, the World Health Organization (WHO) defined obesity based on a percent body fat ≥25% for men and ≥35% for women [15], while the most recent 2009 guidelines from the American Society of Bariatric Physicians (ASBP), an American Medical Association (AMA) specialty board, used percent body fat ≥25% for men and ≥30% for women. The ASBP percent body fat guidelines identify individuals that are suitable candidates for treatment for obesity with anorectic agents. Most studies comparing BMI with more accurate measures of adiposity used cutoffs of body fat >25% for men and >30% for women [16].
From the DXA, I'm now merely obese at a body fat of 30.1% so I just make it over the point at which the ABSP would treat me "for obesity with anorectic agents". Of course, in WHO terms, (until they make their long-overdue revisions), I could now throw a party as I'm just "metabolically overweight" rather than "metabolically obese".

Based on my previous calculations and extrapolating from the BodPod results, I'd have needed to weigh 108lbs to be at this body fat level of the obesity borderline so, yes, it's good that the DXA assessment is that I've achieved that level at 117lbs and without a marked reduction in lean body mass (afaik).

Just for completeness, I'm putting my details here. NB, the numbers don't add up for various technical reasons but they're within bounds.

Total Weight: 54.3kg (this contains rounding up errors as the (clothed) weigh-in was 54kg but it makes the numbers easier to manage: so approx 120lbs)

Total Body Fat Weight: 15.728kg (34.6lbs)
Total Body % Fat: 30.1
Android % Fat: 27.8
Gynoid % Fat: 40.4
A/G Ratio: 0.69

Total Lean Mass Weight: 36.549kg (80.4lbs) (lean mass includes all the parts of the body such as bones, organs, muscle and fluids but excludes body fat)
Total Lean %: 67.4

BMI: 20

(The Android/Gynoid figures won't mean much to anyone who hasn't had a DXA but it means that I have a typically female distribution of my fat round my hips and thighs rather than carrying it as visceral fat on my stomach.)

My scant muscle mass means that even using the Harris-Benedict rather than Miffin-St Jeor equations for Resting Metabolic Rate (NB, RMR is an estimate of how many calories someone burns in 24hrs if they were to do nothing but rest - it's the bare minimum amount of energy you need to maintain your brain, body temperature, heartbeat, respiration etc.):
RMR: 1224 kcals/day

Sept 2014 A recent DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.

Last edited by SlowSure; 03-10-2014 at 06:29 AM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:34 AM   #191
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brainardt
Stats: 212/195/170 (1st goal) 5'8" 27 y.o
Start Date: January 31, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybarometer View Post
NOTHING is more frustrating then a JUDDD bounce despite knowing the factors that may have caused it >_<

I bounced up two lbs after a DD. Gah!!

Factors? Eating dinner kinda late
Being a little dehydrated from smooth move tea
retaining water after smooth move tea takes affect.
Feeling like a parade float of bloat this morning.

***SCREAMS!
I'm having the same problem! So frustrating!
brainardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:45 AM   #192
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The erosion at the base of my spine is probably more due to compensating for various fractures and the curvature in my neck and upper spine than otherwise (given that the rest of the skeleton is well within the 'normal' range). I was taken aback that the erosion there is sufficient to reduce my overall bone mineral density score into the low end of the 'normal' range.

The HCP said that the erosion is sufficient that I should consider requesting an X-ray after a fall in case I experience a fragility fracture (as they're known). Now, I appreciate that the HCP felt that she had to say this but it's a spectacularly unhelpful bit of advice. Sarcopenia is known for the increased risk of falls: if I had an X-ray every time I fell, I'd breach the radiation exposure recommendations in no time.

It's chicken and egg that the last accident I had has made it difficult to perform the compound weight lifts that would help me to improve the bone mineral density at the base of my spine. However, I can not recommend weight training enough to everyone as a means of retaining or improving musculo-skeletal health. For men, or those women still young enough to have a hormone profile that would let them add to their muscle, as well as improve muscle quality, weight training is invaluable as a way of providing a buffer for insulin sensitivity/resistance and reduces the likelihood of developing Diabetes Type II.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:51 AM   #193
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
SlowSure, did you find any info about leucine? These quotes are from various sources:

It is well known that resistance training is the treatment of choice for preventing and treating sarcopenia. Additional supplementation with the branched-chain amino acid leucine or its metabolite HMB could potentially provide even greater benefits to resistance training to combat the outcomes associated with sarcopenia.

A growing body of evidence indicates that increasing leucine intake can have multiple benefits. It provides an important building block for muscle protein, activates key events in the complex process of protein synthesis, augments weight loss, improves body composition, and corrects metabolic disturbances such as elevated glucose and cholesterol levels.

A series of cellular studies has now clearly shown that leucine directly activates a critical compound in muscle called the mTOR (mammalian target of rapamycin). It turns out mTOR is like a molecular switch that turns on the machinery that manufactures muscle proteins and leucine is one of the major activators of mTOR. So leucine not only provides the building blocks for protein synthesis, it also plays a critical role in up-regulating the process. Even when an overabundance of amino acids are available to provide the building materials for new muscle, adding extra leucine augments protein synthesis rates further. The bottom line is that adding additional leucine to your diet is an effective strategy to maximize muscle anabolism after resistance exercise.

Leucine appears to be a direct activator of mTOR. Using a leucine enriched formula can stimulate protein synthesis via the mTOR pathway to the same or higher degree as resistance training. Resistance training alone stimulates protein synthesis by roughly 40%; leucine, 50%. Some authors suggest using dietary leucine to fight everything from age-related muscle wasting to disuse atrophy.

I’m not recommending forgoing training in favor of leucine supplementation. Leucine may activate the mTOR pathway, but studies have yet to show hypertrophic gains comparable to resistance training. Studies show a synergism between the two, however. Using leucine as part of post-workout nutrition can increase protein synthesis to 145% above baseline, compared with only 40% or so without leucine enrichment. Not using leucine is the slow-boat to China.

Nutritional status regulates mTOR activity, but leucine still seems capable of triggering and enhancing muscle growth during periods of mTOR downregulation. As studies have confirmed multiple times, high free amino acid (FAA) levels stimulate muscle anabolism and leucine may be the main trigger for this phenomenon while the remaining FAAs add nutritional support.

Layne Norton did a back-of-the-envelope calculation and came to the reasonable conclusion that a meal needs to provide roughly 3.2 g of leucine to activate growth pathways. Insulin may be an upstream regulator of mTOR, but it also increases the potency of leucine on the downstream side. This is the why behind my recommendations for 5 g of leucine supplementation per protein shake, for usage with meals and post-workout. Leucine, supplemented at this level, in combination with food and the extra protein should produce a highly anabolic state and the nutrients necessary to sustain it.

Supplementing in this way should drive anabolism all day, plus accelerate post-workout gains.

etc etc

This is all certainly a red flag for me as I'm a couch potato - especially in Winter. I'm definitely going to take more notice of my protein intake - counting calories again will help with that.

I'm also resolved to at least start doing a few Sun Salutes again, now the weather's getting warmer. I wondered if yoga would be a good addition for you too, SS.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:57 AM   #194
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/160.8/165
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
I have no idea what you are talking about, SS. I only sense that you are distressed.
I just want you to know I care.
Lots of hugs,
P
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:05 AM   #195
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OK, onto some of the sarcopenia information. My head is a morass of different data sets and information at present and I don't have a clear message so I'd rather wait a few days for things to settle before attempting to write this up fully or document the numerous interpretations that are possible.

I'm going to preface this by stating that, with any luck, I'm a unique snowflake. I think it's unusual for someone to be as active as I typically am and then to have accidents that involve almost complete cessation of that activity and that may be what's behind my results. (I don't know tbh - and I may not have more to report on this for a while as I do need to consult more widely.)

Just to be as annoying as possible, although sarcopenia is spoken of in unbelievably gloomy terms as a public weal and potential drain on the public purse as the population ages and becomes more frail, there is currently no single accepted definition of sarcopenia. There are several widely used calculations for cut-offs for sarcopenia and some guidelines that suggest taking somebody's functional activities into account.

The DXA that I had calculates what is known as the Relative Skeletal Muscle Index (RSMI). The RSMI calculates the proportion of the muscles in your arms and legs relative to your height. There are various reasons as to why this is thought to be a decent calculation. For those who are desperate to know, it's aka the Baumgartner equation:
RSMI = (lean mass of arms [kgs] + lean mass of legs [kgs] / height [m]2 (metres squared)

Total Lean Mass Weight: 36.549kg (80.4lbs) (lean mass includes all the parts of the body such as bones, organs, muscle and fluids but excludes body fat)
Total Lean %: 67.4
Lean Mass Right Arm: 1.77kg
Lean Mass Left Arm: 1.71kg
Lean Mass Right Leg: 5.5kg
Lean Mass Left Leg: 5.73kg

I've rounded out some of the figures but they're usable. People who are good at mental arithmetic will have arrived at the figure that
RSMI: 5.44 kg/m2

The Baumgartner cut point for categorising sarcopenia is <5.5 kg/m2. What has completely unsettled me is that I'm not only in this category but this is the estimate at my current height. If I add back some of my pre-accident height (which is not a completely odd thing to do, under the circumstances), I've an RSMI of <5.15 kg/m2

Yes. I have a low amount of muscle mass in my arms and legs. I'm going to ascribe the low amount to the disuse after my last accident. I'm a bit surprised that muscle memory hasn't kicked in to restore some of my muscle mass, however, as it's not as if I'm currently inactive or sedentary.

The thing is, I've had a gnawing sense of unease for some time that I should be showing some reasonable muscle definition at this weight, and I'm not. The only logical explanation was that I didn't have as much muscle as I thought that I had and that, somehow, the BodPod assessment of approx. 77lbs LBM wasn't as far out as I'd hoped. It was dawning upon me that my options were either that I had low bone density (not A Good Thing) or I had a low muscle mass (likewise, not A Good Thing). Or, that the BodPod assessment was completely and utterly wrong (which, given it's maintained in a university research dept. would be an absolute disaster).

I've been unpleasantly irritated by my lack of stamina as I tire a lot more readily than I did and I typically have always had lots of stamina. I was also much stronger than most other women and even a fair number of men. Now, I have difficulty opening lids, moving relatively low weights, and I can not get up from a chair without using my arms or something else to help me. I'd never really allowed myself to think about this before but these are the standard functional signs of sarcopenia.

I kept assuming that as I recovered from that last accident that my mobility, muscle strength, flexibility and power would return - but I'd failed to monitor that they hadn't. It's possible that I've been in a moderate amount of denial.

I have compared my RSMI and other similar equations with various anthropometric data sets and I will write these up when I feel clearer. At present, I move between feeling more than a little foolish and angry.

What I will say here is that there is a lot of doom and gloom around sarcopenia with dark forebodings about Diabetes Type II, cardiovascular disease, frailty and in general a life full of the staggering bots, isolation and wretchedness (I made up the bit about staggering bots). But...I have absolutely no biomarkers for T2D or CVD and there is neither in my family history so I choose to be optimistic on that score.

I'm not planning on curtailing my activities any time soon (tho' I may need to change some of them) so I don't anticipate the isolation and lack of social participation that the sarcopenia writers describe in such awful detail.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:44 AM   #196
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
I tend to respond with offers of information but really I think I was trying to do what Pat did so eloquently.
Big hugs SlowSure.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:52 AM   #197
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
SS, big hugs and sympathies. I don't really know what to say, but just know that I'm thinking about you.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:11 AM   #198

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Slow, reading about how you were suspecting different things but hoping against them was really telling. It really does sound like you were sensing some of the things that the DXA results revealed - another lesson in trusting your instincts.

Now, the question I keep coming back to is, what can be done to mitigate all of this? There MUST be some specific things you can do to help your body increase in strength. You mentioned something about women who still are able to build muscle mass, but my understanding is that there are elderly people - women included - who are able to make dramatic changes in their strength and muscle mass with increased weight bearing exercises. I'm NOT calling you elderly, my dear! I'm just using that as an example of a population that has lost a lot of muscle mass, and is able, with some specific work, to build some back pretty effectively.

I hope you will be able to find someone/something to help you with this, and also gain some peace of mind about it all. I hate that you are having to go through all this turmoil!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #199

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Yam-Yam, my apologies for missing your posts about DH, I do hope that he is mush better by now. I am sending big hugs to him.... if I may.

I do try to keep my protein reasonably high, eggs are manna to me as is cheese. But I don't eat as much red meat as I used to.

Slow, this is a very complex issue, and I am really following it with interest. I suspect I have very little LBM myself. But I am a bit of an ostrich.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:35 AM   #200
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planelman View Post
I definitely didn't think you were being argumentative, I just wanted to try to acknowledge that I try to take both sides into account when posting. Not everything is as effective for women as men, but in general terms what is healthy and beneficial does apply to both sexes. The effectiveness and to what extent it is effective is the tricky part. Figuring out how much of a good thing is good for each person.
Very well said, Mike. Figuring out what is good for me and what helps make me healthy feels like its been my life long story.

I'm not doing JUDDD right now. I'm working on eating to my hunger. I was doing LCHF but I think I was overdoing it on the fat. Even though they are healthy fats, coconut, olive, walnut, hm mayo etc. For a couple weeks I was targeting 65 grams fat 25 grams protein 10 grams carbs. The carbs were mainly in green veg covered in butter or cooked in bacon grease.

Now I've upped the protein about 10 grams upped the carbs 10 and brought the fats down to about 20-50. I'm on strike against the scale so I don't know what I've lost, but my tight jeans are getting looser and that's good enough for me.

I have been doing wall pushups and squats every day to get my muscles awake. I hate exercise but I know I have to do it. If I don't I'll be hobbling around like an old lady some day. My dad had significant mobility issues in his 70's (he was on the skinny side) and my mom is dealing with it now. She has to use a walker.

"When a person has had too much to eat, fasting is the smartest thing he could do.” – Mark Sisson, Mark’s Daily Apple.

BElieve in
YOUrself!
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #201
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
Hello everyone. I am back from my wanderings. Did really well eating. Weight is actually a bit less for which I am very thankful!

Yam yam - sorry to hear about hubby, but hopefully he is on the mend.

Leo41 would you give a sample UD menu to get that amount of protein in? You are definitely one of our stars. Nice to see you posting with us.

Hugs for wveryone
back from your cruise, Seabreezes!!! We have missed you! I thought about you almost every day. Did you have just the most marvelous time?

Congratulations on keeping the eating in check. That's not easy on a cruise.

Unfortunately DH got worse yesterday. He had a fever and the sore throat and coughing got way worse. In addition he had a splitting headache all day.

Last night was miserable. I couldn't stay in bed with him because of the awful coughing so I tried to sleep in the bunk bed (bottom bunk) I have in our guest room for the grand kids. That was unpleasant. At two am my throat was on fire. It was so sore, I got up and took two naproxen pain killers but it took them quite a while to take effect.

We agreed that we are a mess today! Dear DD texted "How are you two doing?" and I answered with one word: Bad!

I'm in a good mood, but there is really nothing to do according to the doctor but drink lots of fluids and eat lots of soup, rest, and take some helpful meds and use a humidifier.

We keep saying, "This too shall pass! It can't last forever!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Yam-Yam, my apologies for missing your posts about DH, I do hope that he is mush better by now. I am sending big hugs to him.... if I may.

I do try to keep my protein reasonably high, eggs are manna to me as is cheese. But I don't eat as much red meat as I used to.

Slow, this is a very complex issue, and I am really following it with interest. I suspect I have very little LBM myself. But I am a bit of an ostrich.
Thank you for the cyber hugs! DH appreciates it and I'm taking one for me too. K?

On protein, after reading Mike's posts, I'm trying to at least start to pay attention. On yesterday's UD I got in 60 grams. I think I need to be over 100 on UDs for sure.

SlowSure: Thanks for posting all your information. I am working my way through it with interest. I remember you saying before that technically you were morbidly obese or obese and I couldn't wrap my mind around that.

I hope and pray all this knowledge you are armed with will lead you to some helpful answers.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #202

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Aw Yam, I'm sorry DH is worse and that you caught this darn bug! I hope you can get lots of rest. Take it easy and take care of yourself!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #203

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
DH got a call from a casting director friend of his. The Price is Right is doing a special show with firefighters/retired firefighters and he got 2 tickets to attend. That doesn't mean he'll be chosen to go on stage, but it's still exciting! The show tapes April 15th.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:30 PM   #204
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
DH got a call from a casting director friend of his. The Price is Right is doing a special show with firefighters/retired firefighters and he got 2 tickets to attend. That doesn't mean he'll be chosen to go on stage, but it's still exciting! The show tapes April 15th.
Very cool!

When I was in middle school, a girl in my class was picked to go on Sally Jesse Raphael's show and meet Bob Barker because he was her idol
LadyKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #205
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FrostyBeav
Stats: 211/200.2/165
WOE: EOD JUDDD
Start Date: 11/12/13
Quote:
That's cool.

I liked "Price Is Right" back in the day. I have to say, though, that I haven't warmed up to the new host, which is weird because I loved "The Drew Carey Show" and liked his stand-up. He just doesn't have the same charisma as Bob "spay and neuter" Barker.
FrostyBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:46 PM   #206
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Slow, thanks for keeping us all up to date and informed on your latest results. I admit that my capability to follow the details is sketchy at best lol. I am also a bit like Kissa, in that I prefer to remain a bit ignorant of facts that might mean I need to do more! Anyway, I just want to say that I hope you can continue to do all that you enjoy, and that knowing the results is only helpful.

Very cool news, Dawn! I hope he gets picked! You should start studying the prices of refrigerators--and cruises.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*

Last edited by Librarygirl; 03-10-2014 at 01:47 PM..
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:15 PM   #207
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Super cool!!! And fun!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:26 PM   #208
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
SlowSure: The difference between 42% and 30.1% body fat is shocking. That is an unacceptable discrepancy! That bod pod owes you a refund, IMHO. But that part is good news. You just "lost" over 25% of the body fat you thought you had!

(as a side note, I like the scale that has 32% as the cutoff for "obese" better)

I like your take on the gloom and doom scenarios. Those do not describe you. You are active, you are knowledgeable, and you have information to work with to improve this. Even if the muscle hasn't come back as quickly as you thought after your recovery, I believe you can get muscle "regains" over time with protein and whatever resistance training is safe for you and maybe other options (leucine? hormonal therapies?). We're here to support you ... you can do this!

Yam Yam I hope you and DH both feel better very soon! Sorry you both got the bug.

Dawn that is very exciting! How fun for your DH!

Last edited by calichris; 03-10-2014 at 11:30 PM..
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:32 AM   #209
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdforshort
Stats: 221/176/140, 5'4", 61yrs
WOE: Atkins/PPower/Mod Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: LC 3/23/12, JUDDD 6/2/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I lost my last 100 lbs on JUDDD, and I totally agree with Mike. Please keep in mind that metabolically, I need very low carb, so I came to JUDDD already eating low carb. I also need to severely restrict calories to lose because of my metabolic issues.

I always begin with my protein requirements, and, quite frankly, that leaves me little for additional food. On DDs, I ate mainly protein (egg whites, tuna), and on UDs, I always got at least 70g of protein, sometimes more.

Now I 'look' lean, and thanks to strength training, I have muscle definition for perhaps the first time in my life. We all lose some muscle when we lose weight, but unless we meet our minimum protein needs, we risk losing too much muscle which is not healthy.

I'm a 'senior' woman (72), and I've read that older women need even more protein to protect against bone/muscle loss after menopause. l know that I seem to thrive eating this way. I get regular blood tests for my thyroid, and all my lab values are always excellent.
Excellent info! Very Inspirational!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
OK, onto some of the sarcopenia information.
What I will say here is that there is a lot of doom and gloom around sarcopenia with dark forebodings about Diabetes Type II, cardiovascular disease, frailty and in general a life full of the staggering bots, isolation and wretchedness (I made up the bit about staggering bots). But...I have absolutely no biomarkers for T2D or CVD and there is neither in my family history so I choose to be optimistic on that score.

I'm not planning on curtailing my activities any time soon (tho' I may need to change some of them) so I don't anticipate the isolation and lack of social participation that the sarcopenia writers describe in such awful detail.
"made up the....staggering bots" The spirit and the grit in the last para tells me that you will win this battle. Mind over matter works wonders I find the subject fascinating yet cannot seem to apply it to myself Another Ostrich, I guess, even though my husband is always making me read articles about osteoporosis and onset of T2D.

Yam-Yam Seems like you got the bug too! Unfortunately, the viruses are very virulent and they have to take their course. Unlike, bacterial infection, you can't do much about them. Like you say "This too shall pass"!

Mike, great reminder to all of us carb addicts!

Quote:
How exciting, hope he is picked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post
SlowSure: The difference between 42% and 30.1% body fat is shocking. That is an unacceptable discrepancy! That bod pod owes you a refund, IMHO. But that part is good news. You just "lost" over 25% of the body fat you thought you had!

(as a side note, I like the scale that has 32% as the cutoff for "obese" better)

I like your take on the gloom and doom scenarios. Those do not describe you. You are active, you are knowledgeable, and you have information to work with to improve this. Even if the muscle hasn't come back as quickly as you thought after your recovery, I believe you can get muscle "regains" over time with protein and whatever resistance training is safe for you and maybe other options (leucine? hormonal therapies?). We're here to support you ... you can do this!
This, this and more this!
jdforshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:37 AM   #210
Big Yapper!!!!

SS-
Yam- hope you and DH are feeling better.
Dawn- hope DH gets picked!

Another virtually sleepless night after a DD.