Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #271
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
I really like Covergirl Exact Eyelights. They have mascara, eyeliner and, I believe, shadow palettes designed for different eye colors. I don't use the shadow but I do use the mascara and eyeliner for brown eyes (as my eyes are brown ). Sometimes I'll use the mascara alone on days I'm feeling particularly lazy.
I'm with most of you in that I've not noticed a considerable improvement shelling out over $20/tube so I use the cheaper stuff. However, I don't care for the pink & green myself, for me, it causes eyelash clumps.
I really like bare Minerals eyelid primer. The other primer I like is Eyeshadow Primer Potion by Urban Decay. I smear a bit of that on, put on the eyeliner (which goes on easier over the primer), smudge a bit and it does not move all day long. If desired, adding shadow is a cinch because the primer holds that in place too.
I'm lucky enough that I don't need to use a powder/foundation daily but when I do want to and I'm in a rush, I use a pressed powder from Beauty Control. When I want more coverage or need something more formal, I use the whole kit from bare Minerals.
Clearly I am a makeup floozy and have zero loyalty to any one brand. I use what works for me and what I like.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2014, 08:22 PM   #272
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I did not like the falsies. I thought it was clumpy. I have an extensive make-up routine. I use black eye shadow as liner with a fine edge brush. Mascara. Eye pencil on the top lid, then eye shadow. Lip liner and lipstick. I don't use and foundation because I'm OCD about the feeling on my skin, but I totally need to use it.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:16 AM   #273
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
I want to love makeup, but all I wear 99% of the time is mascara, concealer and a very light blush. I hate the cloying feel of powder or foundation.
I love the Maybelline Volume express "one by one" mascara(pink round tube). Love the brush! and the formula stays soft, not stiff. I have waterproof for allergy days and regular for the rest.
I used to like their Full and Soft but they changed the formula and it makes my eyes water.
Their "Volum' Express Falsies Big Eyes Washable Mascara" is the one with the upper and lower brushes. I wanted to like it but I kept poking myself in the eye with the little brush trying to get it on the lash base

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:03 AM   #274
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Wow, look what I started!

I wear foundation, blush, and lipstick every day, even to go to the store. I have horrible skin, and simply won't be seen without it.

Okay, short history: I used to wear eye makeup every day. In the last 10 years or so, I've developed allergies, and I tend to rub my eyes, so I only ever wear eye makeup now when we're going out someplace nice, or for a special event. Who wants to end up looking like a raccoon? That's totally what I look like when I forget I have eyeliner or mascara on, and rub my eyes. It's not pretty!

I have been thinking about getting the brows and liner for a couple of years. I love the way a perfectly arched brow looks. It just sort of brings everything together, at least IMHO. I hate hate hate doing my eyebrows. I've used pencils, powders, gels, you name it, I've tried it. I can get them looking awesome, but it's a pain.

I looked at a lot of reviews and never went to an artist because it was all so scary and there were lots of horror stories. 2 weeks ago, I was getting my hair done, and my stylist and I were talking about eyebrows (because Keira has been having me wax her unibrow). Anyway, my stylist told me she loves the woman who did her permanent brows and liner. Her's looked really good, so I asked for the name, and just decided to "go for it!"

Now, for pictures. Be forewarned, the befores have no makeup at all, and the afters are with swelling and redness. The lines are darker and more dramatic than I anticipated, but the artist assured me, they will lighten and thin when the swelling goes down, and when I'm done healing. She also does a two-part process, so I have to go back in 3 weeks for a touchup. Overall, I'm pleased, but reserving judgement until I see how it looks healed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eyes no makeup 1.jpg (24.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg eyes after.jpg (20.9 KB, 37 views)

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:18 AM   #275
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
Dawn,

Absolutely beautiful arch! I can't imagine your eyes looking any better with time......the liner looks wonderful!

You have gorgeous eyes!

Last edited by sazzie; 03-16-2014 at 07:20 AM..
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:26 AM   #276
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I think it looks fantastic, Dawn. I've seen others with permanent eye liner, and it looked so faint that I wondered if it was worth it. Yours looks perfect, to me. To maintain your eyebrows will you have to wax or pluck anything that grows out beyond the darkened arch? That seems like it would make it sooo much easier! I've just started having my eyebrows waxed and love the results, but it takes about a week for the swelling and bumps to go away. Something tells me that the girl who does it has not been doing it properly.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:42 AM   #277
Administrator

That looks amazing!
Old 03-16-2014, 07:45 AM   #278
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I think it looks fantastic, Dawn. I've seen others with permanent eye liner, and it looked so faint that I wondered if it was worth it. Yours looks perfect, to me. To maintain your eyebrows will you have to wax or pluck anything that grows out beyond the darkened arch? That seems like it would make it sooo much easier! I've just started having my eyebrows waxed and love the results, but it takes about a week for the swelling and bumps to go away. Something tells me that the girl who does it has not been doing it properly.
I never have bumps, redness or swelling!!! Find someone else!!!!

Dawn- the permanent make-up looks amazing!!!!!
Old 03-16-2014, 07:50 AM   #279
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
It's looking good, Dawn. I hope the swelling goes down as soon as practical.

I never wear make-up (skin allergies) but know that I'd look a lot healthier if I did (pale Celt type).

I've been thinking about having permanent eyebrows done for years as my eyebrows are so light coloured that it looks a little odd (particularly in Summer when they tend to bleach out even more). I've never got up the courage tho' because the only places that I'd trust cost a ludicrous amount of money in the UK. I'd also like my mouth to be coloured, rather than pale.

However, just those would cost approx. £1300 in the UK or roughly $2000 plus maintenance etc. so - it's not going to happen.

Sept 2014 A recent DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:57 AM   #280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I wax and pluck myself and never have bumps or redness beyond the first few minutes after. I use Microtweeze wax which doesn't require any strips. I agree, find someone else, or learn to do it yourself. Yes, to maintain, I'll just pluck the few strays and wax my unibrow. I'm not sure how I managed to be so hairy with my pale skin and northern European/native American ancestry.

Thank you everyone. I'm trying to get used to it. It's weird to wake up with brows and liner already done.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:07 AM   #281
Big Yapper!!!!

I have very sensitive skin apparently, and tweezing does make my skin red for a few hours--which is ok, but the waxing causes it to get so red that it was neon glowing and then bumps appeared that took a week or more to go away. She also burned me, because there was peeling a couple of days later. I might try that wax kit you mentioned, Dawn.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:15 PM   #282
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Dawn, I think that looks great! And just think ... you never have to do anything, and it will be there when you swim or at any time. Wow. You're making me consider this! But I'd rather see someone with great results and ask who did it (like you did).
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #283
Major LCF Poster!

Yah, Cindy, you need to find someone else.
Like Dawn, I am a hairy beast and wax at least 1-2 times per month. I do the majority at home but will get my eyebrows done at a salon 2-3 times per year as I tend to lose the shape. I've only ever broken out once post-waxing and it was a home job and I had the wax too hot.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:17 PM   #284

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I love them Dawn, looks really good.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:27 PM   #285
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
Dawn..beautiful you look so exotic! Actually I would be more than happy to have your before eyebrows

Thanks Dottie going to Target today to check out the Volume Express - you're right about how they seem to dry out so quickly, I'm usually pumping that brush to get the liquid out. I'm sure they put the tiniest amount in those containers.
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:59 PM   #286
Administrator

Mojo they say that pumping it dries it out faster, that it pushes air into the tube
I always did that, too. lol TV and movies, they ALWAYS did that!
Old 03-16-2014, 04:30 PM   #287
Major LCF Poster!

I was taught to spin the brush in the tube, starting at the bottom and slowly extract while spinning. It gets just as much on the brush as pumping without the air.
Although I'll admit, I'm a 50/50 pumper/spinner.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:38 PM   #288
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
I was taught to spin the brush in the tube, starting at the bottom and slowly extract while spinning. It gets just as much on the brush as pumping without the air.
Although I'll admit, I'm a 50/50 pumper/spinner.
It never occurred to me to pump. I always spin, because I hate the long tail of mascara coming out if you pump it or just pull it out instead of slowly spinning it out.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:40 AM   #289
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
I swear I posted yesterday, but I must have gotten interrupted by kids or something...

You look fabulous, dawn!

JD, thanks for the hope of finding smaller pills. I don't have a TJs around me, but I will keep checking different places now.
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #290
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Dawn: Your eyes are beautiful!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:35 AM   #291

Once I heal enough to wear eye shadow and mascara, I'll put up a full-face picture with the "finished product."
Old 03-17-2014, 09:40 AM   #292
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joannew
Stats: 149/142.2/135 (5'4.5", 60 yy)
WOE: 1200 cals
Start Date: 7/27/14
STUNNING!
Joannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #293
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Ok-- caught up now!

Dawn-- that looks great! Can't wait to see it healed!

re: mascara-- don't pump. The air will totally dry it out, as well as make it go bad faster. It's really the one thing you do need to replace every 6 months b/c of the moisture issue. If it smells bad, dump it.
I like some of the costlier brands, don't get me wrong-- I have a MAC one that I do like, but I got it a 40% off. And I have to practically strip the wand down b/c the design of the tube doesn't take enough product off before applying.
I also like Benefit "yes they're real" mascara. Great wand. I like the ball at the end, really helps get into the insides. But I don't want to pay for it. So unless it's a freebie, I don't buy it.

Chris-- re: eyeliner,
Depends on what kind of eyeliner you like. For pencil, I like a really simple black kohl eyeliner. Pharmacy brand I have one from Prestige, and the other I think is a brand called Gosh (not sure if that's just up here or what), but it says it's "kajal" which the woman told me means it will last longer, and that seems to be true. Not waterproof, just long lasting. I use that one for inner-rim lining (which I only do for going out/special occasions).

For a gel liner, which I like b/c it's a bit easier to deal with than a liquid-- I actually like Sephora's brand quite a bit. They say they're waterproof (IIRC) but come off with cleanser, not special stuff. I have these in 3 colors now (green, brown that looks darker on that in the pot, and purple). I'd get black too, but I have 2 black gel eyeliners from MAC so I really don't need more.
From that company, "blacktrax" is my favorite. I also have "blitz and glitz" which is sort of lighter black, with a tiny bit of gold flake, but hardly noticeable.

To apply gel liner, use either an angled thin eyeliner brush (which you could use for powder eyeliner also, just make sure it's clean and dry-- the brush is straight but the bristles are cut at an angle), or a bent eyeliner brush for use with gel/liquid liner that looks like this

I like to dip the front and back of it in the gel liner, and when lining (with any product, actually) stay very close to the eyelashes, and go in small dots or dashes, then link them-- don't try to do a full line from one side to the other, it's very hard to do.

If you use a pencil liner, go back over it with a brush to soften it out a bit and smudge it.

re: mascara application-- I don't use it on my bottom lashes, looks weird on me. I do sometimes use a bit of whatever's left on my dry angled liner brush (mine looks like this) and use that to just wiggle in the lower lashes, toward the outside corner, for a bit of definition.

I don't think regular daily makeup should take longer than about 5-7 minutes either Chris!

Carly-- have you thought about using the new BB or CC creams? Much lighter feeling than "foundation" (liquid, anyway) and have multiple benefits. I just apply mine with my fingers I like a Sephora CC cream, and actually Garnier has a BB one that I like as well (mattifying).

You could also go mineral-- I get a nice medium coverage from MAC mineralize, applied with a kabuki brush.

re: eyeshadow primer-- YES. The one thing in the last 10yrs that has CHANGED MY LIFE. I agree- Urban Decay has a good one in a tube, and MAC has one they just introduced me to (just=6 months?) and I might like it better than the UD version. I apply with finger
the difference in applying eyeshadow and liner is HUGE. Really makes the colors pop, and the product stays put. All day. even 18hr days (I'm thinking of when I go to my user conference-- I get made up at 7am or so, and don't come back to my room till maybe 10pm? I only reapply lips, dab my face, and maybe wipe *under* my eyes. But the lids stay perfect all day.

Sephora is a great store in that, if you go in, they will give you up to 3 product samples, free. They have cute little pots and jars for when things don't come in a pre-made sample. So, if you can get to a store, try before you buy. They also have a PERFECT return policy-- anything, anytime. With receipt, you get $ back, and without, a store credit.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)

Last edited by sorenkkg; 03-17-2014 at 10:23 AM..
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:39 PM   #294
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Dawn, it looks great! When looking at the before and after, your eyes really pop with the new makeup. I think this is going to look absolutely fantastic when you get healed and after your follow up.

I do the full makeup thing every day. I feel very naked without makeup, with my extremely fair skin, dark undereye circles and white (no, I'm not exaggerating) brows and lashes. I can dye my own brows, and do most of the time, but have to start drawing them back in when they begin to fade. One of my best friends was my aesthetician, but she moved out of state a few years ago and showed me what to do on my brows. I'm too chicken to try it on my lashes - too much at stake with eyesight there.

I love mineral powder for foundation. I've tried a whole lot of brands and some are good and some are too gritty. They have to be perfectly finely ground to really work, IMO (like BareMinerals). I never feel like I'm wearing any makeup with good powder. I actually am using Avon waterproof eyeliner pencils, smudge it with a brush, and then I brush powder eyeshadow in a complimenting color over it with a fine brush to set it.

I love being a girl! Except "periodically" I don't.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:07 PM   #295
Big Yapper!!!!

I actually use a oil-based foundation. My skin is dry and it soaks it right up. I use a loose powder afterward to take up any shine, but a matte foundation or water-based just leaves me with flaky mottled skin. I think I am in the minority because most people think it's gross to wear oily makeup lol. It's also hard to find. My entire "routine" takes about 5 minutes. Including eyes, cheeks and lips. I also never spend more than 10 minutes (15 tops) on my hair. I can usually dress and do my hair and makeup in less than 30 minutes.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 03-17-2014 at 03:09 PM..
Old 03-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #296
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive.
Dawn - That looks great!!

I've thought about getting electrolysis on my eyebrows but I don't think they let you do that being so close to the eye - i could be wrong though. I do have HORRIBLE eye brows if I let them grow in

What did they use to do it - a tattoo gun?
LadyKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #297
Big Yapper!!!!

I have to look into the mineral make-up for a base/ foundation. I really need it, but just can't stand feeling anything on my face. I was looking at the BB cream too the other day. I use black eye shadow as liner with an angled brush for the lower lid and eye pencil and shadow for the upper lids.

I spend about 10 minutes- maybe a bit less- on my make-up each day.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:55 PM   #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKT View Post
Dawn - That looks great!!

I've thought about getting electrolysis on my eyebrows but I don't think they let you do that being so close to the eye - i could be wrong though. I do have HORRIBLE eye brows if I let them grow in

What did they use to do it - a tattoo gun?
It's a little different, looks sort of like a thick pen, and I think the head rotates, but I honestly didn't look too closely at it, because I was askeered.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:01 PM   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I have to look into the mineral make-up for a base/ foundation. I really need it, but just can't stand feeling anything on my face. I was looking at the BB cream too the other day. I use black eye shadow as liner with an angled brush for the lower lid and eye pencil and shadow for the upper lids.

I spend about 10 minutes- maybe a bit less- on my make-up each day.
I use an 8-in-one foundation. You'd hate it, I guess, but it makes my makeup routine super quick. It's got lotion, primer, concealer, foundation, etc., all in one step. A quick swipe with a sponge, some blush, powder to set, and lipstick and I'm done. That was before the eyes were done, though. I "may" start wearing mascara and eyeshadow now that I don't have to worry about my liner running. I'd say makeup takes me about 2 minutes, hair takes 5. I can shower, do my hair and makeup, get dressed, and out the door in 15-20 minutes (unless I shave my legs)!
Old 03-18-2014, 04:27 AM   #300
Big Yapper!!!!

Dawn, I am considering a short haircut. Really askeered. Do you have thick hair? I have fine, limp hair and I really don't want to look like a small lollipop with a mop head. I saw a lady last week that had a perfect short haircut and I think it was a bias cut, or a bixie (bob/pixie), and she assured me that her hair was not thick (although it sure looked it!). Any tips on getting the right cut? With it long I can compensate for lack of body with various hair styles...lately I've been pulling it up into a messy bun, and getting more compliments than any style I've worn. So, maybe it looks better short?