Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kettleboy
Stats: 6' 3"
WOE: Juddd when required
Start Date: June 2010
Opinions

Currently EOD eating, and EOD high intensity exercise.

Should I be coinciding exercise days with DD's or UD's? I have my ideas but would be interested in opinions...

Last edited by Kettleboy; 02-26-2014 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: Typo
Kettleboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2014, 10:50 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: 148.5/144/135 5'4"
WOE: JUDDD (start 1/31/14)
Start Date: JUDDD: start 1/31/14 NK: 3/13-6/13, 11/13- 1/14
Would it be an option to workout before you break the fast on an UD? Supplement with some BCAA's first, hit it hard, then feast? I've heard that method works especially well for men
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 59 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
I've read over and over that exercising in a fasted state burns fat really well.

For me, exercise is an appetite suppressant but I know that's not true for everyone.

I find working out on DDs to be very enjoyable. It helps pass the time and as long as I'm in the gym, I don't have access to food anyway. My most successful DDs are the ones where I work out. Especially the ones where I focus on cardio endurance.

In one of the many articles I read recently - don't ask me where! - I read that women lose more fat with endurance training. Men lose more fat doing weight lifting and strength training.

I guess you just have to figure out what works best for you. Sounds like you probably already know!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 2000/400
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green View Post
Would it be an option to workout before you break the fast on an UD? Supplement with some BCAA's first, hit it hard, then feast? I've heard that method works especially well for men
This is what I've read too.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:22 AM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Dr. Johnson recommends exercising on UDs only, and that's what I've always done. I find that I am hungrier on days I exercise, and keeping to one's DD calorie limit is important to this plan.

When people write about working out in a 'fasted' state, they are not actually fasting. That means they usually work out before they eat breakfast, but they eat a lot the rest of the day.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, you've touched on many of my points of concern.

I'm doing Tabata work on a Concept 2 Erg.

If I do them on a DD I become hungry and lose control, if I do them at the end of a UD I feel sluggish and that's reflected in the performance numbers. If I do it early on a uD before breaking fast I run out of steam half way through, and again my numbers are poor.

Struggling to find the answer.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:32 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green View Post
I think this is a great idea, and I've read the same. But if you're looking to lose fat too, you may want to consider waiting a few hours after your workout/BCAA, because it's ingesting food that stops the fat burning process (from what I've read). BCAAs before, during (if you can - I don't during Tabata) and after. Then nothing for 3 or 4 hours. Would that be doable?
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:04 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/118-125
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Kettleboy, MCT oil is horrendously expensive in the UK so it would be a costly experiment but have you tried it on your DD?

There are various reasons why it might be a worthwhile experiment but I'm trying not to turn this into an essay and will wait until I know whether or not you've already run this experiment.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:39 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Slowsure, tell me more

I used MCT many many years ago when powerlifting, but so long ago I cannot even remember why?
Old 02-27-2014, 01:26 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'll go into more detail when this bug abates.

Briefly, some people find MCT useful as the 'tasteless oil' in Seth Robert's Shangri-La appetite suppression protocol. Key Tones has a good write up of her use of it for that purpose, in concert with Stephen Guyenet's Food Reward reduction. She started out using the MCT oil in the context of a vegan diet but has since shifted it to NK/LC on her doctor's recommendation and she has experienced substantial appetite reduction (it did take a while of starting low, ratcheting up the dose etc.).

I use MCT oil as part of the modified ketogenic protocol for migraine management. The MCT provides measurable ketones in the blood very quickly and these are available as fuel and will be used preferentially without being stored. So, for some people, taking a slug of MCT oil can help them work out on a DD as it provides a form of energy and, for some, prevents the surge in insulin levels/drop in blood sugar levels that can drive rebound appetite.

I use MCT oil, despite the expense, because it gives me more ketones for fewer kcals and frees up some fat grammes so that I can eat more. You could try this protocol with coconut oil if you didn't mind the taste and you weren't doing it for appetite suppression (I think coconut oil has a flavour whereas MCT doesn't but YMMV).

ETA: So, depending on what you know of your reaction to it, MCT oil might help to suppress your appetite (in the context of the rest of your diet) and it might allow you to workout without decrements to your intensity or performance on a DD. Much depends upon personal experimentation and what else you are doing/eating.
April. 2014 Life, eh! I've recently had a DXA scan which revealed very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional and normal service may resume at some point

Last edited by SlowSure; 02-27-2014 at 01:31 PM..
Old 02-27-2014, 01:38 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Locarbarella
Stats: 188/123/125 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: Atkins 2006 (188)/JUDDD December 2013 (132)
That's very interesting. I haven't tried the Shangri-la protocol, although I've read about it. I do use the MCT oil in my coffee, but I recently stopped using it on DDs in an attempt to save on calories. But I've been having a much harder time with my appetite since doing that and perhaps this explains why.

I think I'll go back to using it, I'll just continue to cut back on half and half on DDs and see what happens.

Thanks for your insights as always!
Locarbarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:44 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm also going to throw a recent blog post by Adel Mussa into the mix:

Blog: Suppversity
Blogpost title: There is More To Glucose Control Than Carbohydrates (1/?): Non-Carbohydrate Nutrients And Their Effects On Blood Glucose Management ➲ Amino Acids, Proteins, Peptides

This is promising to be a multi-part series and Adel discusses these things well, albeit in very technical ways, but, he's good at answering questions in the comments.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:03 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Slowsure, I like a good experiment, I'll pick some up
Old 03-03-2014, 08:49 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

KB, given some of your previous experiments, have you taken a look at Professor Art Ayers blog:
Cooling Inflammation

I have tremendous respect for Ayers' research work and academic achievements. He's recently published a nicely-thought through blog post that I heartily recommend:
Paleo Gut Flora Repair

Some useful observations from that post that may or may not be relevant to you.
Quote:
think of my gut flora as fellow travelers on my life journey and whatís good for them is good for me. I donít intentionally abuse them, but I also forget that they might not enjoy bourbon...I donít begrudge them the soluble fiber that they need, and I think that they are a little happier with each apple (pectin) I feed them. I simply forget that most people havenít taught micro, DNA sequencing and the biochemistry of plant cell wall polysaccharides.
Quote:
People get sick on paleo, because they don't feed their flora. Gut flora are needed to supply vitamins, short chain fatty acids and immune system stimulants. If you donít feed your flora you get vitamin deficiencies, gut inflammation and autoimmune diseases (Treg deficiency). It is very important to remember that feeding your flora means matching the soluble fiber with the existing flora. Most people make the mistake of assuming that if they change their diet, then their flora will also change. Their flora will adapt with each of their hundred different species of gut bacteria increasing or decreasing in numbers, but no new genes will be present to digest new soluble fiber.
Quote:
Many people lose species of gut flora as they change from diet to diet, eat processed foods lacking soluble fiber or use antibiotics.
Quote:
Donít expect dairy probiotics to cure diseases caused by deficient gut flora. Bacteria that grow on dairy cannot survive in the gut. I know that physicians, including Dr. Oz, recommend that patients treated with antibiotics eat yogurt to repair their gut flora. It ainít gonna happen.
In short:
  • there is more and more evidence that healthy gut flora can help people to achieve an optimal state of health and body composition.
  • For a number of reasons, many of us have inadequate gut flora.
  • Some of the conventional remedies that are said to restore our gut flora don't.
  • There are things that you can do to restore and nurture helpful gut flora.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:24 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have to say that I don't agree with Prof Ayers on a number of topics: however, his overall explanation in the above post is a useful overview and he provides the outline of a good way to formulate a nutritious diet and restore beneficial gut flora that may help people in who the useful gut micro biome is depleted.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:15 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Slow, I have the MCT, it's some strange stuff! i feel like I'm stimmed up on ephedrine? its not intolerable, but certainly strange. will be interesting to see what happens over the next few days...
Old 03-13-2014, 03:16 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Remember to ramp up the dose as some people experience nausea at the outset if they jump right into taking 1tbsp at a time.

Are you using it as the flavourless kcals for the Shangri-La Protocol or in another manner?
Old 03-13-2014, 06:18 AM   #18
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I JUDDDed the first time several years ago while training for a marathon. My best workouts were in the early morning of DDs. I still had energy left from the UD before, but an empty stomach since it was morning.

One day I went out for a long run on the morning of an UD without eating before (so running on the previous DD's fuel) and seriously crashed at about mile 4. It was a trail run so I had to walk the 4 miles back out to eat the emergency nuts I had stashed in the car. It was tough and I never did that again.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:35 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

KB, I saw your comment in the weigh-in thread that expressed some disappointment about only a 1 lb loss following a DD.

I've no idea what volume of food you ate on the preceding days, nor do I wish to cross-examine you about that Great British Obsession (regularity), but I wonder how much of that food was 'high-residue' as it's known and still working its way through the digestive system or colon?

I think MCT oil may be of use to some people in fuelling DD activities in a low carb or fasting context. As above, KeyTones has had some success in using MCT as the flavourless calorie provider as part of the Shangri-La Protocol.

I shall be interested to follow what emerges from your experiments with it (tho' unless the results are outrageously bad, I think you may need 2-4 weeks to judge the outcome of tweaks like this).

At some point, enquiring minds in the UK may want to know this relatively affordable supply of MCT that you've located.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:14 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/220/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 2/16/2013
I find that I have much more energy on my DD so I try to workout on my DD. I don't especially like working out on the day that I'm eating more calories. I just feel that I'm giving back calories or something. I'm sure it's psychological.

If it's the weekend I will work out in the morning on a DD, but since I usually can only make it after work on a DD to the gym I've never had any issues. Like Yam-Yam I actually find it a great way to stay busy and keeps me from thinking about food.

"You can always take the easy way out & give up but real strength comes when you decide to keep pushing no matter what the circumstances are."
LiLi914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:29 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I wonder if there are many different reasons behind our response to exercise/intensity on DDs.

I've never felt the hyper-focus that some report or the abundance of energy. I had to stop using a cycle to commute on DDs as I ran out of energy so abruptly that it made me a potentially unsafe road user.

With the benefit of hindsight, I have to wonder if I have such a small amount of muscle mass that I can deplete glycogen stores very readily and instead of being a supportive comrade in weight/fat loss, my body is attempting to make me feel like death warmed over and to stop moving so that it can hang on to the fat reserves that it so carefully built up?

I wish that the trials on this were more extensive - and more in line with our individual experiences on this board.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:46 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

SS, your points are valid, this needs time..

But very interesting so far.

I buy MCT from powerbody.co.uk 2 x 400ml bottles are £14.84 (£7.42 each) but a group of us save our orders and put through together, as we get 10% off on orders over £250, resulting in £6.68/400 ml bottle
Old 03-17-2014, 11:11 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Planelman
Stats: 350.1/190.8/190 6' 44
WOE: Primal/Keto
Start Date: 7/14/2011
I usually have 2 tbsp of MCT Oil and sometimes 1 tbsp of coconut oil in my morning coffee's everyday, if I don't have coconut oil I use HWC instead. This is the only thing I have until 2pm when I eat my first meal. I don't notice any unusual excessive stimulation from the MCT or Coconut oil, but I've been low carb and in ketosis for the most part since 9/1/2013 and usually show nothing on ketostix or very little even though I'm in ketosis per the blood ketone meter. My energy levels are even and good and even if I don't eat at 2pm I'm good, and if I do a workout in the morning which only happens on the weekends I have plenty of energy with just the MCT oil.

I have not tried combining MCT oil with carbs to try to stay in ketosis with a higher carb load though and it sounds intriguing but I can't figure out what is actually happening. Would the carbs still raise BG and would it still be used to refill glycogen while you still burn keytones for fuel? I assume it would, and when doing TKD taking carbs and MCT prior to working out the idea is that the carbs would refill glycogen for the next workout and the MCT oil would be used to fuel the current workout.

Also does the combinations of carbs and MCT somehow prevent temporary water weight gain? As your daily weigh in seems to imply?

159.3 Pounds lost since 7/14/2011

Low Calorie: 7/14/2011 - 80lbs lost
Primal: 4/20/2012 - 55.3lbs lost
JUDDD: 4/10/2013 - 23.4lbs lost
Nutritional Ketosis 9/1/2013
Planelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:00 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Mike, your asking the same questions as me...

It does appear to stop water bloat, not only does my weight stay even, I'm not bloating thro the day like I usually do with wheat?