Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Have you ever just ate to be eating?

On a DD? I have many times, and last night in particular, felt that I could definitely go until morning with a very limited amount of calories. In fact, last night I had only had around 200 liquid calories and had planned on some Wendy's chili for dinner, which was in the fridge...I thought, "I'm hungry, but I really could just skip dinner and I would be fine." However, I just decided to eat it anyway. I don't think I'm incapable of really low DD's because of incessant hunger so much as I just feel like I'm missing something if I don't eat. Now some days I am ravenous and don't have this internal dialogue, but I wonder how I can re-train my brain to just let it go and not have to eat (when I feel capable).

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I just remind myself that there is no shortage of ____ and that there is no point to eating if I'm actually not hungry. I'd rather save calories for when I'm really hungry or there is something super special to eat.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:25 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: July 14,2014 Restart
Ah... nope.
I am hungry on a DD.
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:17 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
It must vary so much from one person to another. It's not the case here but I wonder if people who've lived with food insecurity or the fear of it will feel as if they ought to eat because they might miss a chance if they pass it up while it's available.

Sometimes DDs remind me of the religious-based fasting of my youth when there always seemed to be some reason or another why we had to fast x2 a week or so. No eating before taking communion (so, no breakfast if Mass was before noon, and I think it was a 3hr fasting window beforehand if Mass was after that time); Holy Days of Obligation (complete fast if you could but children and older people/invalids could have soup); Lent was genuine restriction with x2 or x3 fast days a week (I remember classmates fainting during this time and on quite a regular basis); for quite a number, Friday was a restricted fast day with fish at one meal; if you were performing special devotions such as the various scapular, then you might have an extra x2 days of modified fast a week (including no meat on Wednesdays or Saturdays).

As children, it seemed that a very popular breakfast was cold toast because it was easy to wrap and carry with you to eat after Mass. Tho' this only worked for when it was a School Mass or similar as the strictures against eating in the street/open/public were so strong that we had to wait until we were in a classroom before we were allowed to eat our toast. Otherwise, we were only allowed to eat when we returned home.

Apologies for the 'down Memory Lane' threadjack.

Nov 2014 A DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:25 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

That is interesting, Slow. I can't imagine having to fast as a child, and I get what you're saying about eating because of the fear of famine (paraphrased). However, I feel that more on UDs and I don't think I explained myself well...of course I'm hungry on DDs, but what I meant is that sometimes I could very well have low calorie DDs but because I've allowed myself up to 500 cals, I just go ahead and eat because it's "planned". Not that I'm stuffing myself or eating beyond satiety, just that I *could* go without, but I don't.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:24 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Goner
Stats: 184/158/157 restart 11-1-14 175.5/
Start Date: May 2013
I get what you are saying - I have had DDs where I don't think about food and then at dinner time convince myself to eat my calories even though I "might" be able to go withou them. It's a fear thing sort of, like what IF I get hungry? And the old "I deserve to eat them cause I can."

FOOD - so many issues!! <grin>
Goner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:40 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive.
Yup - it's one of the issues i'm having now

Last night, I had ice cream for dinner. Just because I wanted it. This is the kind of thing that's getting me in trouble - eating anything I want "within calorie limits" is really dangerous for me. Perhaps maybe I do need to JUDDD the LC way
LadyKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:36 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Absolutely, Cindy. I know there have been DDs that I didn't feel any real hunger pangs, and even had that real good, empty feeling. But it was dinner time and I had a planned meal, and so I ate.

I've also had times - usually mid-afternoon - on DDs when I feel no hunger whatsoever, but I want something. Nothing huge. Nothing that will derail my DD. An apple. Some carrots. A LC cheese wedge. It's not about hunger, but about appetite during those times for me. I've puzzled over it many many times.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:43 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no scale unless doing PHD
WOE: HDE, Potatoes as needed
Start Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKT View Post
Yup - it's one of the issues i'm having now

Last night, I had ice cream for dinner. Just because I wanted it. This is the kind of thing that's getting me in trouble - eating anything I want "within calorie limits" is really dangerous for me. Perhaps maybe I do need to JUDDD the LC way
I have the same concerns. But, I haven't even been staying within my caloric limits for the majority of the time.

The first may feed the other for me. Sweets and starches seem to trigger the desire for more, more, more and then I'm over my daily limit.
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:44 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Yes! That's what I was trying to explain LCG. I feel so forlorn if I have to go the entire day and night without eating lol. I don't mind doing it all day long (and even enjoy it most times), but still have not come to "terms" with not eating at all.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:53 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/163.8/165
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
I typed a big long response here.
Deleted it.
I still have to formulate my thoughts as this discussion opened some windows for me.
Just wanted to post that I read this and thank you all for sharing your thoughts.
Blessings,
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:58 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmmaLiza
Stats: 240/155/125
WOE: LC: 70 lb; JUDDD: 15 lb
Start Date: LC: Apr 2012; JUDDD: Feb 2014
I definitely have trouble with the feeling of even though I'm not really hungry, it's "owed" me in some sense. I planned it, I CAN have it, so I WILL. When the better approach might be, I don't want it, therefore, I don't need it.
EmmaLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:00 AM   #13

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I still live to eat instead of eating to live. Most of my meals, UD and DD alike, are because I "want" to eat, not because I'm really hungry. When I was in WLM, I think I was more in tune with my hunger. In maintenance, I've become quite relaxed.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:03 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green View Post
I have the same concerns. But, I haven't even been staying within my caloric limits for the majority of the time.

The first may feed the other for me. Sweets and starches seem to trigger the desire for more, more, more and then I'm over my daily limit.
Yep - I'm fine on DDs. I can manage under 500 cals easily *if* I eat certain things/certain times. Usually liquids/soups.

UDs however....I never have just an "up day". ALWAYS bordering UUADs. That's not good. I think it's because I know I feel deprived on DDs, so I go above & beyond to not feel that way on UDs. But i'm eating whatever I want. I think if I still left a restriction on things, it might make it easier. It is after all, still a diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Yes! That's what I was trying to explain LCG. I feel so forlorn if I have to go the entire day and night without eating lol. I don't mind doing it all day long (and even enjoy it most times), but still have not come to "terms" with not eating at all.
I feel that way to an extent. I can go all day without eating if I try really hard and not be hungry - however, I feel unbelievably weak. It may be a blood sugar issue because as I wrote above - i'm eating whatever I want. If I went back to LC and JUDDD'd that way, I wonder if I'd still feel that weak. Something to try....

Add me as a friend! Facebook
Old 02-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #15

BUT....

...just a reminder here. Dr. Varady noted that they found the best level of eating on DDs is 25%. Best for weight loss, and health markers IIRC. That's where I've set my new DD level, and if I go below it, then YAY for me. But I don't worry about it as much now, because I tell myself that's the "healthiest" number.

So keeping this in mind has helped me let go of the thought of total fasting days, or super super low days. I always felt kind of guilty that I couldn't/didn't do those. Now I don't.

That said, I look at Flutter and Carly and those who do them, and have had tremendous success, and still wonder if that would work better for me. Boy, I'm messed up!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
Old 02-25-2014, 09:25 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
BUT....

...just a reminder here. Dr. Varady noted that they found the best level of eating on DDs is 25%. Best for weight loss, and health markers IIRC. That's where I've set my new DD level, and if I go below it, then YAY for me. But I don't worry about it as much now, because I tell myself that's the "healthiest" number.

So keeping this in mind has helped me let go of the thought of total fasting days, or super super low days. I always felt kind of guilty that I couldn't/didn't do those. Now I don't.

That said, I look at Flutter and Carly and those who do them, and have had tremendous success, and still wonder if that would work better for me. Boy, I'm messed up!
Ummm I beg to differ!!!! YOU have had tremendous success doing it your way!!!!! Why do things the way someone else does it when YOUR way has worked so well? You rock!!!

Lg, sometimes I do that, too. I am a rule follower, so it's mental for me. If I have given myself permission to eat that day, most likely, I will.
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
BUT....

If you are then I am too. I have these exact same thoughts too.

To be clear (to everyone), I wasn't talking about UDs or eating just to be eating on any day but DDs. I get that it happens on UDs too, maybe (probably) a lot more, but that is another story altogether!

Last edited by Librarygirl; 02-25-2014 at 09:59 AM..
Old 02-25-2014, 10:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
Ummm I beg to differ!!!! YOU have had tremendous success doing it your way!!!!! Why do things the way someone else does it when YOUR way has worked so well? You rock!!!
You are so sweet! Yes, my way has worked tremendously well. It's just that I seem to have stalled out (on the scale anyway) and that is frustrating me at the moment. I won't know for sure until I weigh on Friday, but I don't "feel" like I'm losing, YKWIM? So I guess I'm looking for ways to trick my body into burning it off again. Sigh.

Quote:
If you are then I am too. I have these exact same thoughts too.
It's a relief to know I'm not feeling these things alone! I just keep coming back to the fact that we're so close in age, height, weight, shape. Is this one of those places where our bodies are going to fight us? Relax Carol. Relax Carol. Relax Carol.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
To be clear (to everyone), I wasn't talking about UDs or eating just to be eating on any day but DDs. I get that it happens on UDs too, maybe (probably) a lot more, but that is another story altogether!
I'd love to do totally fasted DDs...but I don't want to feel like a piece of wilted lettuce (that's how i feel )
Old 02-25-2014, 11:01 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carrie jayne
Start Date: January 2014
Quote:
BUT....

...just a reminder here. Dr. Varady noted that they found the best level of eating on DDs is 25%. Best for weight loss, and health markers IIRC. That's where I've set my new DD level . . . I look at Flutter and Carly and those who do them, and have had tremendous success, and still wonder if that would work better for me. Boy, I'm messed up!
LOL. I sway back and forth on JUDDD ideas/thoughts, too. I'm getting the idea that stalls are an ok thing if we just keep going forward and hope I remember that when I'm really tempted. BTW, your weight loss (I've got almost as much to lose) and posts really help me on DDs.

I haven't eaten just to be eating on JUDDD, but did all the time before coming here, unless I was on a "diet", and even then that was one reason I strayed from the current diet. I don't feel like JUDDD is a diet, which is a huge attitude change.
carrie jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Locarbarella
Stats: 188/125/125 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb maintenance since 2007
Start Date: Atkins 2006
I keep trying to eat very low calorie down days and just cannot seem to do it. For me it's not about the evening meal which I can easily skip. (These days, anyway. It took years of training to get me out of the evening eating habit.) But I always wake up hungry and am ravenous in late afternoon every single day no matter what I have eaten earlier. On an UD I have a nice little snack that tides me over until dinner. On a DD I try to eat protein in the form of Greek Yogurt, sliced meat or hardboiled eggs. But most of the time, between my necessary biggish breakfast and that "snack" I just can't stay below 500 calories.

I'm going to keep trying though because I think I'd really do well in maintenance with two very low calorie days and five normal up days a week once I'm solidly bouncing within a couple of pounds of my goal weight. I gave up the BPC on DDs in hopes that will help. So far, I'm still going above 500, just with food instead of coffee. So we'll see...
Locarbarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:32 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie jayne View Post
BTW, your weight loss (I've got almost as much to lose) and posts really help me on DDs.
I'm so glad! I got/get so much help here, it's wonderful to hear someone else feels helped by little old me!
Old 02-25-2014, 11:40 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: where's_kyla?
Stats: 208/not sure, think im down about 20/175 - 5'10"
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Jan. 11, 2014
I am ok on DD but not the greatest. I feel I am still trying to get a good hold of down days, and still be happy with it. Im finding that making a big bowl of soup with broth and vegetables and some shrimp is pretty good for supper...but i still want to pick throughout the evening, just because.

I really do feel i need to eat just to feel like I have eaten. I dont find anything is as fun if i havent eaten, even if im not hungry. I want to eat.
where's_kyla? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:11 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tangolover
Stats: 318/306.6/115 5'2" 50
Start Date: January 25, 2014
I'm really enjoying my DD food and haven't had much of a problem sticking with 500 calories, here at the start. I tend to eat every one of them and I don't think thats a bad thing, ha, ha! I've settled into a pattern of salad for breakfast and soup for lunch and dinner. I vary the ingredients and find it quite satisfying. I've even learned to make my own soup so I can know what's in it for sure. Nothing fancy, just chicken and some veggies with a cup or so of rice in the whole pot. Lasts for several DD's... Next month, I plan to make some bone broth for the first time! I'm excited!

Of course, on my UDs I sometimes go overboard. Also, when I am not feeling well I tend to comfort myself with food. For a change, I'm not sweating about that, because I don't see the point in fighting my nature if I can keep the numbers in line and the scale keeps moving in a downward direction over time. Plus, it's been pretty easy for me to get back on track after any mishap and so, overall, I really love JUDDD.

To me, it's as if a nutritionist/weightloss specialist followed me around and then constructed a WOE built around all my foibles!

Really, I'm still bouncing off the walls because I found JUDDD and my body is responding to it when I stay on plan. I know it will likely get harder as I get closer to my goal, but I think I will be able to work through anything that happens.

This forum is so full of good information and helpful people and I want to thank all of you for being here! It helps so much to talk to others. Maybe that sounds glib but I mean it. You guys are great!
tangolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:09 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Oh yes, at first I ate dinner on DD even though I was not hungry...fear of getting hungry later and losing control. Then I experimented and found no dinner on DD was NBD.

I think I still live to eat...but only when the food is extra-special. Like a meal at a really good restaurant. In between special events, I guess I eat to live.

However, the only zero calorie days I had were supposed to be UDs but family emergencies interrupted. And, wow, it was great muttering, "Hunger is not an emergency - even on an UD." and getting on with what really mattered.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:44 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdforshort
Stats: 221/176/140, 5'4", 61yrs
WOE: Atkins/PPower/Mod Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: LC 3/23/12, JUDDD 6/2/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
It must vary so much from one person to another. It's not the case here but I wonder if people who've lived with food insecurity or the fear of it will feel as if they ought to eat because they might miss a chance if they pass it up while it's available.

Sometimes DDs remind me of the religious-based fasting of my youth when there always seemed to be some reason or another why we had to fast x2 a week or so. No eating before taking communion (so, no breakfast if Mass was before noon, and I think it was a 3hr fasting window beforehand if Mass was after that time); Holy Days of Obligation (complete fast if you could but children and older people/invalids could have soup); Lent was genuine restriction with x2 or x3 fast days a week (I remember classmates fainting during this time and on quite a regular basis); for quite a number, Friday was a restricted fast day with fish at one meal; if you were performing special devotions such as the various scapular, then you might have an extra x2 days of modified fast a week (including no meat on Wednesdays or Saturdays).

As children, it seemed that a very popular breakfast was cold toast because it was easy to wrap and carry with you to eat after Mass. Tho' this only worked for when it was a School Mass or similar as the strictures against eating in the street/open/public were so strong that we had to wait until we were in a classroom before we were allowed to eat our toast. Otherwise, we were only allowed to eat when we returned home.

Apologies for the 'down Memory Lane' threadjack.
SS, This is all very interesting! I was in Ireland for 3 years and never knew about this kind of fasting! Lent, yes! but even that was to give up one item/habit!

Quote:
BUT....

What a great way of looking at things, instead of beating yourself about it like I do! But, then you are so right, looking at Flutter & Carly one is inspired to emulate the "gurus", but with "patience grasshopper"! All this goes out of window when the needle on the scale is stuck at the same place! So, in the end I look for divine guidance to get me out of this dilemma! Rest assured, I am just as messed up as you and Cindy and few other JBs

Cindy, you somehow have the knack of stating what many of us feel in the head but can not formulate the words. So
jdforshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:30 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: July 14,2014 Restart
Totally off topic (and there probably is another thread about it) but...
Wow, great new pic Librarygirl! You are one hot Librarian!
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:52 PM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks LCL!