Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wiiiifit
Stats: 20/12/8
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 2012
Got my blood test results back...

Some of you may be a little more knowledgeable than me on some of this so any insight would be appreciated.

My vitamin D was low but not by a huge amount. Dr suggested OTC
Glucose and A1C were right on border with doctor still calling it prediabetic although I am on no meds, not even metformin. Glucose was 107 and 5.7 A1C doctor suggested continued diet and exercise.

The doctor didn't order the thyroid T3. My other numbers were 1.63 and 1.36 which are in normal range but I am a little irritated about the T3 not being tested. It has been a long while since I have been to the endocrinologist...but I still feel like I am really hypothyroid.

My choesterols were all good!! I did have some other flagged numbers on the results that the doctor didn't even mention like red blood cell count, EOS and another I can't think of without pulling the results off the pdf. I looked some of them up and one was common with allergies and excema (I have allergies and psoriasis.) Another was right on the border for anemia/low iron. I googled the third number and it said a lot of random unrelated things like infection, dehydration, sleep apnea, cancer, COPD, heart disease.

Last edited by wiiiifit; 02-21-2014 at 01:14 PM..
wiiiifit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2014, 04:46 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
I have resulted in borderline low vit D too, and now I take regular D3 and K2 supplements daily. I've read so much about D3 being crucial to the immune system, and plenty of studies are now being conducted on high D3 supplementation for so many of the autoimmune disorders.

I know I could get plenty of D living here in sunny Arizona, and I've been doing better getting into the sun lately. But that old message for a fair redhead to stay OUT of the sun is deeply ingrained.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

I have heard mostly good things about taking Vit D...but if IIRC there was also a recent study claiming that the D supplements dont do much. Anybody else remember that or maybe I dreamt it? Lol Why are you supplementing with the K, LCG? That isnt one that I have heard many say they are using...isnt it the vitamin that makes blood clot? Maybe it has another purpose that I am not remembering?
Old 02-24-2014, 03:41 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I had low vitamin D at my check up in January. MD said to take 5000 units a day and come back in March for a redraw. DWs vitamin D has been so low at points she had to take rx vitamin D.

The A1c of 5.7 is good for someone who has diabetes, but I'm not sure where it should be if you don't have it at all.

My endo used to say anything under 6.0 was good, but I was diabetic then.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:45 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Always make sure you combine D3 with K2! Apparently D3 will raise the body's vit D, but without K2 acting synergistically calcium ends up in the blood and not on bones.

My n=1 is supplementing D3 changed my life for the better. I felt better. My mood was amazingly improved. A lot of stress became more manageable.

I got too high. So I supplement once or twice a week now...just in case (smoking reduces D quickly).

Prediabetes, or (it something like) Glucose Intolerant is usually defined as an A1C of 5.7 - 6.4. Meaning, I suggest you jump over to Blood Sugar 101 and do some reading. If you can afford to buy a cheap meter and test strips (Walmart or online) then try running the eat-to-your-meter tests described in the How to Lower Your BG section. That will tell you a LOT more about what is going on.

5.7 is not a disaster. It might should be a wake-up call.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:53 AM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I am hypothyroid and had low Vit D several years ago before I began supplementing. For me, the low D mimicked hypo symptoms, so that may be why you believe you're hypothyroid.

The T3 test is very expensive, so most insurance companies require the doctor to check only TSH and T4, and unless they show some problem, the T3 isn't tested. This makes sense because if there were a problem with T3, the TSH and T4 levels would indicate that.

My primary doctor recently joined some umbrella health care organization, and the last time, he did labs, there was no T3 (although he'd routinely tested it). This organization doesn't allow T3 testing. Yet I'm on Cytomel (T3) because I have conversion problems and need my T3 tested regularly to manage the dosage!

Fortunately, I have a great endo who does that--I don't have to rely on my primary doctor for this, but it shows how ridiculous it gets when they try to 'control costs.' They would do better to control executives' salaries, but we know that's not going to happen.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:46 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Fortunately, I have a great endo who does that--I don't have to rely on my primary doctor for this, but it shows how ridiculous it gets when they try to 'control costs.' They would do better to control executives' salaries, but we know that's not going to happen.
Where's the 'like' button?
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:22 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/134/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I have resulted in borderline low vit D too, and now I take regular D3 and K2 supplements daily. I've read so much about D3 being crucial to the immune system, and plenty of studies are now being conducted on high D3 supplementation for so many of the autoimmune disorders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Always make sure you combine D3 with K2! Apparently D3 will raise the body's vit D, but without K2 acting synergistically calcium ends up in the blood and not on bones.
I recently started taking vitamin D3 without even realizing it...there was 2000 iu in with my fish oil supplement. I had been meaning to start taking it, so I was glad to discover that. So when I went to buy fish oil again, I couldn't find the one with vitamin D3 again, so I bought a separate one. I have heard about calcium in the blood, so I've been concerned about that. So how much K2 do you take, Carol? I see where my multi has 50 mcg in it. (Actually, it just says vitamin K, not K2...does that matter?)

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do." Eleanor Roosevelt

"You can preach a better sermon with your life than with your lips."
Oliver Goldsmith

"Make peace with the past so it won't screw up the present." Regina Britt

Last edited by shirlc; 02-24-2014 at 09:23 AM..
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:51 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiiiifit View Post
I have heard mostly good things about taking Vit D...but if IIRC there was also a recent study claiming that the D supplements dont do much. Anybody else remember that or maybe I dreamt it? Lol Why are you supplementing with the K, LCG? That isnt one that I have heard many say they are using...isnt it the vitamin that makes blood clot? Maybe it has another purpose that I am not remembering?
Thanks for answering this, Nancy. I was w/o a computer Saturday evening and all of yesterday...long story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlc View Post
I recently started taking vitamin D3 without even realizing it...there was 2000 iu in with my fish oil supplement. I had been meaning to start taking it, so I was glad to discover that. So when I went to buy fish oil again, I couldn't find the one with vitamin D3 again, so I bought a separate one. I have heard about calcium in the blood, so I've been concerned about that. So how much K2 do you take, Carol? I see where my multi has 50 mcg in it. (Actually, it just says vitamin K, not K2...does that matter?)
I know that K2 is what they think is essential for D3 to do all it's wonderful stuff. I first read about it on Dr. Mercola's blog/site. Then I did a bit more reading, and new research seems to bear this out. I also read about a new study saying D doesn't do anything too, but I think there was a questionable issue about whether the dosages they were using were right, and whether there was also K2. I'm not sure, and I'm sorry I'm not patient enough to do all the technical reading to shore up my knowledge.

As for dosages, I'll tell you what I take, but I really am not sure I am optimizing these properly. I order all my supplements now from the B1G2 website that can't be named here. Here's what I do:

Multi: includes D3 400 IU and Calcium 200 mg and Coral Calcium 300 mg
Calcium: 200 mg + D3 1000 IU
D3: 1000 IU
K2: 100 mcg

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:07 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/134/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Thanks, Carol...that helps a lot! Really appreciate all your research on this.
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:04 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Thanks!! I will be looking for some K2 this week. I already had the D3 but just not always great about remembering to take it. I have been prediabetic for years. The test results arent too bad, all things considered. I was just hoping that two years on plan and losing 60lbs would put me in the normal range. There are tons of diabetics in my family...so it looks like heredity is part of my problem, too. I put it a lot of effort and time on the Fitbit, JUDDD, low carb, etc. Hopefully I can still get to normal. Maybe next time. These numbers are better than last time.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:52 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
The vitamin D even helped my myopia. Over a 2 year
period I had to have my glasses changed 3 times till
now I can pass the drivers eye test without my glasses.
But if I skip the vitamin D for a while I need my glasses
again.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote