Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 11:03 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/124.2/120, 5'5.5", 55 yrs
WOE: Hunger Diected Eating (HDE)
Start Date: April 8, 2014
AHA Moment

What was the defining moment when you decided to become committed to losing weight? Was it something someone said or maybe a health issue or an upcoming event? And what made it different from other times in the past when you had tried to lose weight? What really motivated you?
CarolinaCoast is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
I started out no differently this last time than all the times before. I always had good intentions and dedication. I would go at it full-force for a few months and then lose steam, resent the restrictions, feel too deprived.

This time . . . I found JUDDD.

A few months into JUDDD, I still didn't feel deprived. I was losing weight in a way that I could sustain. It was the first time the road ahead didn't seem quite so daunting. The first time I could actually envision myself getting to goal. Then, I DID get to goal. Then I got 10 pounds below goal. Then I got 20 pounds below goal. Then I got 30 pounds below goal!! My original "goal" was to get to a healthy weight, and that was the very top of the "healthy weight range" for me. Now I'm in the lower end of healthy and maintaining pretty painlessly.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:31 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

That is so encouraging! Didn't know you had reached so many goals and then continued on even further! Really inspiring!
Old 02-19-2014, 12:56 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
You know, I don't think I had a moment. I've wanted to lose weight most of my adult life, even when I didn't really need to (I realize now in hindsight). And I don't know why this time it "took". I've thought a lot about it, and I just don't know. I can't credit JUDDD for all of it, because I did lose 55 pounds on Atkins before switching over to JUDDD. But JUDDD has sure made it easier to stick with it!

I just know that this time I wanted it REALLY, REALLY badly.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:05 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wanttolose70
Stats: 163/139/125
WOE: Atkins/JUDDD
Start Date: June 2012
I am going to agree with Dawn and Carol.

My aha moment was when I found JUDDD on this site.

I, like Carol, a lot of my weight on Atkins before joining JUDDD, but like Dawn, I feel like this could be a feasible life style change instead of just another diet I am trying.

I dropped the ball over a year ago in January, but started back 36 days ago because my joints started hurting again when I tried to go running or walked more than 3 miles running errands and such with the hubby. It was then i realized I needed to get back to being healthy again, no more excuses.

I just felt better when i was at my thinnest 133lbs and I hope to see that number again soon.

I hope some of this helps in your journey and good luck!
wanttolose70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

So for a lot of us it seems like success comes from whatever it is we're able to actually stick with and for me JUDDD is really the easiest diet I've ever tried.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:47 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
I gained weigh recently over the last few years. Juggling the same 10 lbs.
But it due to my mature age so things just don't cook along in metabolism as fast as us to. I was one that had high dd's, 700-800.
I was determined to not buy bigger clothes, no way, ain't gona, ever, that's all, I ain't!
Juddd's done well for me. It's all in our heads about food. Be free
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:32 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: shamblyn
Stats: 212/146/140 - 5'8"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 09/07/2012
I will have to say that my moment came when I found that I was exhausted just coming up the stairs . I had done Atkins in 2003 and lost 70 pounds but gained it all back and gained more with my sixth baby. I tried WWS and would lose some then gain it all over again. I was so down and depressed. My baby was starting kindergarten and I still looked pregnant. Something in me told me that this time I needed real help. I turned to God and started praying. I asked him to lead me where I needed to be and to do it for me. It has been so different this time. I don't obsess with the scale and I really feel like a tremendous burden was lifted from me. That was September 7, 2012 when I started Atkins and I have made it to goal and maintained. I truly believe that God has walked me through this journey. Good luck to you.
shamblyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:37 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 135 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I remember precisely when I made the decision to do something and stick to it. I was looking at an email my sister sent out to the family of pictures she had taken of all of us on Mother's Day. I saw myself and realized that I didn't want to look like that anymore. I joined LCF a few days after that, if not the next day, and started Atkins. Two months later I started JUDDD.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:05 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
On February 20th, 2012 I looked at my reflection and despised what I saw. I was obese and my health was terrible. I was tired and in pain All. The. Time.

At that very moment I knew I would do absolutely anything- go to any length to lose weight, feel better and get my life back.

I started that day. Every day for the next 5 weeks I ate celery for lunch and for dinner lettuce with 3oz of grilled chicken. Every day for 5 weeks. I lost 10 pounds, but I was miserable.

I had been visiting LCF and had stumbled upon JUDDD. I read and read and read.

I said I can do that. I started JUDDDing on 3/28/12. I lost almost 70 pounds with what felt like less effort than I lost the first 10.

DDs were hard in the beginning- definitely. I didn't feel too well for the first 4 weeks on DDs, but all of a sudden that changed and I started feeling amazing on DDs. I got to goal in February on 2013.

I'm below goal a year later. I love JUDDD or 5:2, which ever I'm doing at the moment. I wanted to lose weight and feel better, but I got SO MUCH MORE!!!!

I became self-confident instead of self-conscious. I became energetic instead of fatigued. My pain is less, I workout most days of the week and I received a promotion at work in May 2013.

I learned that food is not the enemy. Food is not a weapon. Food is not a punishment. I know that it is something that can be enjoyed in moderation while at the same time I know that hunger is not an emergency.
75.8 lbs were evicted in less than 14 months!
Called goal on 2/5/13 at 126.8. I can wear size 4P!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:09 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Old 02-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Wow, Carly! Total determination! My husband always says the secret to weight loss is being consistent and persisent. Your story demonstrates the truth of that.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:00 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wiiiifit
Stats: 20/12/8
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 2012
I wish I could say that finding JUDDD was my aha moment. But, this is my second time on JUDDD and the first was back in 2008 when the book was new-ish. I lost 50 and gained it all back plus a few more. But, what happened this time around was more than just finding a plan that I could live with...it was a complete change of dieting philosophy. I came to the realization that it was going to be hard and it was going to be forever and that DDs were not ever going to stop. If I want to lose weight and keep it off I will have to continue having DDs as a way of life, as a maintenance plan always and forever. I know for sure that if I stop I will regain. I have done it before so I just keep going. The thing that really changed was me deciding that I am never going to quit trying. Giving up is not an option.

Last edited by wiiiifit; 02-19-2014 at 06:03 PM..
wiiiifit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
My AHA moment came during a riding lesson the fall before I started my current journey. Before my son was born, while I wasn't thin, I wasn't big either and fitness & riding were kind of effortless. After, well, I struggled big time. With all of it.
I was taking a lesson with a gal who has a daughter a few months older than my son. She was talking about how people like "us" (she and I, moms) needed to accept that we couldn't get back what we once had and was basically implying that I should quit riding with my main trainers and ride only with her because they didn't have kids so they didn't "get it". They were going to be too hard on me because they didn't understand how difficult it was to ride while heavy and out of shape. That I should ride with her because she'd be easier on me and more sympathetic to my "problem".
And I thought - bull poopy. I don't want my coaches to be easy on me. I want them to push me. If I want to ride like I did pre-baby, step 1 is to weigh what I did pre-baby. That was the last lesson I took with her (although I see her all the time as our kids are friends), and was determined to lose weight. Had a few false starts that fall, totally went hog wild the month of December (probably gained 5-8 pounds just in that month alone in the typical "I'm gonna start Jan 1 so get it all in now!") and started Atkins 1/1/13. Switched to JUDDD on 1/21/13, which I found reading these boards trying to figure out why Atkins wasn't working for me like it had in the past.
I guess having someone tell me that I'd just have to accept doing things the easy way because I was too fat to do otherwise was what I needed to hear to get a kick in the pants. And that's totally not what she meant, she was trying to let me know she was sympathetic to my plight but wrong thing to say to me! I took it as a challenge and now here I am, riding better and weighing less!!

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:12 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
This is like reading the NSV thread - inspiring, moving, important.

I had been through the desperate to lose, try everything that worked before (low cal, LCHF, various fads) and either lose nothing or five easily re-gainable pounds.

I gave up on weight loss. Concentrated on not gaining.

Then, without gaining weight, my belly started swelling and swelling and swelling. Everything about the way I felt and looked screamed either 'metabolic syndrome' or 'diabetes' (wish I had known back then that I could test BG for myself - my doctor just nodded and ignored me). Anyway, everything about what was happening screamed, 'here comes the heart attack!'

So, 9/15/11, I dived back into LCHF. Lost the standard 5 pounds and stalled. Which was fine because my belly de-swelled and I felt so much better. I found Low Carb Friends and that made it even better.

I went through Thanksgiving and Christmas LCHF. NP. I felt good and that was what mattered.

Of course I found the JUDDD sub-forum. Started reading. Started researching. Started making comments and suggestions (just try to shut me up!)

On 12/31/11 in the middle of an interesting discussion, Pat (SoHappy) dared me to try JUDDD.

So I did.

The rest is history.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:24 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all so much for your replies! Hearing your motivation and successes motivates me. Sometimes I think maintenance takes even more motivation than weight loss since the goal isn't as compelling. You don't get that same rush as you do seeing the scale move. Now I just watch it do the same thing every day.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:34 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCoast View Post
T...... Sometimes I think maintenance takes even more motivation than weight loss since the goal isn't as compelling. You don't get that same rush as you do seeing the scale move. Now I just watch it do the same thing every day.
I agree. But putting on size 4s helps me get through it.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:42 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
Nancy, I know you and I and anyone else that was here back when

SO HAPPY (PAT), posted all the time with all her wonderful wisdom and common-sense way of thinking, miss her so very much.

Of course, we have you and a slew of others that fill the gap quite nicely!

Hope all is well with her though.

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:43 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotitnow View Post
Nancy, I know you and I and anyone else that was here back when

SO HAPPY (PAT), posted all the time with all her wonderful wisdom and common-sense way of thinking, miss her so very much.

Of course, we have you and a slew of others that fill the gap quite nicely!

Hope all is well with her though.

Phyl
Me, too! I hate it when people disappear.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:59 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes. I really miss Pat.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macci
Wow, great thread, such a thoughtful question and so many thoughtful answers.

I have had many aha moments with respect to weight loss and have lost weight many times in my life (20 - 30 "vanity" pounds mostly). I was never overweight, BMI wise (always under 150lbs at 5'5"), until after I had my baby, and even then, not by much. But somehow, after the baby and age 40ish, I started to pack on the weight, and at the same time I developed a new mindset where I started to think of food as a treat and a reward and "my only vice". Long story short: I ballooned up to 225 lbs.

On my journey to 225, I tried many diets. I do not know about others, but for me, I feel I have a honeymoon period with diets, where the first time I try one, I lose lots of weight, the next time, less and so on. The last few, pre JUDDD, were mostly low carb variants like SB or Curves, with one or two WW tries thrown in. I found for all of them, I would do the diet religiously and lose 4- 6 pounds after 6 whole weeks! It was so discouraging, and after a poor result like that, over and over, I had pretty much decided that my metabolism was broken.

I found JUDDD in an answer to a prayer I think -- somehow it just showed up in my life via this forum and all the wonderful, kind, generous, helpful people who post here. It's the first time in ages that I have had any real success and because of the alternating diet/no diet days, and the motivating weight loss I have experienced, it's been easy to stay on. On days when I was stuck and the scale wasnt budging, I'd come to this forum and find endless support and encouragement here, and the motivation to stick with it, even if I felt it wasnt working. Eventually, a few days, a week or two later, the scale would start to go down again.

It feels different this time. I feel like I am undergoing some kind of metabolic repair. In the past, after going off a diet, I'd find I would have a couple of days to reign it back in and if I didnt it was full speed ahead regain the weight -- it felt out of control. I feel in control on this program, and that for me, is amazing.
Macci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macci View Post
It feels different this time. I feel like I am undergoing some kind of metabolic repair. In the past, after going off a diet, I'd find I would have a couple of days to reign it back in and if I didnt it was full speed ahead regain the weight -- it felt out of control. I feel in control on this program, and that for me, is amazing.
Yes
Old 02-26-2014, 04:28 PM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

I just realized that my journey was a little longer than I first wrote. I actually started trying to count calories on my own in June 2012, right after I had the epiphany. I was only able to lose 3 lbs before I joined LCF in Sept of that same year. As I said, 2 months later, I joined JUDDD. I should post that picture that started it all, lol.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:39 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/168.5/155
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
This is a great thread; thanks for asking the question and thanks to all that have exposed themselves, too. And I use that word advisedly. That is one of the things I like best about this forum...the honesty of all our JB's. Ask a question and you receive honest answers and lots of support.

My epiphany came as rather a vain moment...I really didn't picture myself as large even tho' I reached 220 pounds on a five foot, seven inch frame...course, I never looked in mirrors. I knew I had reached obesity and yes, I tried losing weight by low carbing primarily, although I toyed with other diets. I'd lose five to ten pounds and then gain it back when I grew tired of trying.

I discovered JUDDD in June 2012 about the same time I saw the fat bracelets on my wrists which was a total turn-off...I couldn't believe them. I realized I could lose weight every other day, and be able to eat what I wanted the other days and decided this was for me. I lost 40 pounds before going into the cataract surgery from **** and then decided to take a break...well, that break lasted for over a year. I've kept it off by continuing the alternations, maybe not as low as they should but definitely not as high as they could be. I've taken an additional 10 pounds off while maintaining; and have been trying to get back in the saddle to lose the next 40 pounds...but I'll be happy with only 20 more...doubly difficult for me as I'm almost as old as Methuselah and it is definitely harder to take it off the older you get...so take it off now if you can.

I keep saying and will continue to say it...I could not have lost any poundage without the help and encouragement of all the JB's here...thanks again.

Set a goal; Create an action plan; Follow the plan

Plan or Avoid or Plan to Avoid

Patience and Persistence not perfection

Last edited by Mssarge; 02-27-2014 at 07:41 PM..
Mssarge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:26 PM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

Mary, it's always refreshing to read your posts. I thank you as well for your honesty and encouragement. It's good to know that you were able to maintain and also lose an additional 10 lbs while "away" from JUDDD and not adhering strictly. I had to laugh at your crack at your age lol. Don't we all feel old after about age 40...or sooner. There's always someone older to make us feel young though. If not, then we know we've done something right!

And Macci, what you wrote is almost a JUDDD mantra. I find so many of us here saying the same thing, in many different ways. What I know is that JUDDD has given me hope. Hope that I will continue to lose, hope that I can maintain, and hope that I will always have a diet tool for life.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*

Last edited by Librarygirl; 02-27-2014 at 08:32 PM..
Old 02-27-2014, 09:59 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
ALL

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:48 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Beautiful thread. Thanks.
Joyjoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:21 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154now/final goal TBD
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD Maintenance
Start Date: March 2013
My AHA moment came AFTER I was having success.

I had had many moments when I thought, "This is it. I have GOT TO change my ways." And I tried. And some of those moments were pretty scary or humiliating. If it had been motivation alone, those moments could have done it.

But for me, it was not motivation alone. It was finding THE METHOD THAT WORKED FOR ME. It happened to have been the combination of primal low-carb JUDDD.

I started doing JUDDD almost by accident, in hopes of giving my digestion a rest after some difficulties.

After a while, I realized I was losing weight, feeling better, and able to resume eating well easily and quickly after slips.

There was no blinding flash of insight, but one day I looked around and realized I had changed.

I am not obsessing about food all the time any more. I enjoy eating, and I enjoy NOT eating. I don't crave junky foods any more. (Chocolate is not included in that! But you knew that, right? )

I no longer worry that one dessert means I have failed...again...forever. I enjoy my desserts, but I can wait for them. They don't rule my life anymore.

I am thinner and feel confident that I will get to the healthy, normal weight I want. Not next week, but sometime soon. I am fine with it not being next week. I plan on being around to enjoy my healthier body for many decades.

I realized that I had not failed on previous 'diets' or 'lifestyle changes'. They had failed me because they weren't the right thing for me.

AHA!
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:07 AM   #29
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Just found this thread. Such wonderful posts.

My AHA moment was when I realised that eating 500 calories was really not hard. And realising how much food (calories!) I had been eating daily while following Atkins. I had lost a lot of weigh initially and couldn't understand why maintaining was getting harder and harder...

Now I can have days when 300 seems generous. And I maintain with EOD/4:3 or 5:2, just as I wish.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:18 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladybarometer
Stats: 219/188/160
Start Date: Reboot 10/2013
The moment when I looked on my calorie counter and weight tracker and realized that 2-3ish years ago with JUDDD and exersice that i was down to 168 - now I'm at 192... AND FALLING! I realized that I let bad things intrude my life, then I let the good in, then I started letting too much "good" into my diet via the New boyfriend and dates that came when I was at that weight LOL! Well, he loves me even more now then he did then, so at least there's that. He's also supporting my weight loss in his own special way which doesn't at all include him partisipating in it HAHA!
ladybarometer is offline   Reply With Quote